PDA

View Full Version : Away Season Tickets

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 04:24 PM
What's your thought on the introduction of this for all teams? No more not going to games cause you won't give them the money, all hibs tickets are purchased through hibs with the money going into our club. The onus and focus would firmly be put on fans in general to go support your team where possible and not just to attend home games.

i appreciate the smaller teams with craper support wouldn't find this attractive but this could be an incentive to increase their numbes aswell. Could be healthy for all of Scottish football.

just a thought.

marinello59
28-01-2014, 04:26 PM
What's your thought on the introduction of this for all teams? No more not going to games cause you won't give them the money, all hibs tickets are purchased through hibs with the money going into our club. The onus and focus would firmly be put on fans in general to go support your team where possible and not just to attend home games.

i appreciate the smaller teams with craper support wouldn't find this attractive but this could be an incentive to increase their numbes aswell. Could be healthy for all of Scottish football.

just a thought.

Celtic would love it, the financial gap between them and the rest would get even bigger.

hibs4thecup1988
28-01-2014, 04:26 PM

just a thought.

Always wanted this to come into play

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Celtic would love it, the financial gap between them and the rest would get even bigger.

Yeah and so they should, it's their fans going to watch their team so why shouldn't they benefit. It's the rests fault that we don't take as sizeable away followings, of course for a number of reasons no doubt.

Far to many clubs rely on the hand out from other bigger followed clubs rather than their own fans making more an effort Imo

Hibbyradge
28-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Yeah and so they should, it's their fans going to watch their team so why shouldn't they benefit. It's the rests fault that we don't take as sizeable away followings, of course for a number of reasons no doubt.

Far to May clubs rely on the hand out from other bigger followed clubs Imo

:agree:

We really should renegotiate the TV and sponsorship arrangements too.

The only reason people tune in every week is to see Celtic (and Sevco) so why should the other clubs get as big a share of the pot as they currently do?

The Sea-gull
28-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Perhaps a decent idea but would be a non-starter as smaller clubs would never go for it.

Would see the richer clubs get richer and the poorer get poorer. Motherwell will rely on the big Celtic and bigish at times Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs crowds as will Killie, St Mirren, Partick and just about everyone else. Add to St Johnstone getting a healthy crowd through when they play Dundee United as well as the afore mentioned clubs. Dundee Utd themselves get a big profit out of the Abderdeen support.

Don't under estimate the value to ourselves, Hearts and Aberdeen of the big Celtic crowd plus Hearts and us have the derby (for now)!.

There could be work done on a ticker system that gives the away club a % of the gate if they bring a certain amount of fans or a certain % increase on their last few visits or something though. Or a system where you purchase a ticket which allows discount ot away grounds or home season tickets being produced at away grounds to get money off. Something like that.

hibs4thecup1988
28-01-2014, 04:35 PM

The only reason people tune in every week is to see Celtic (and Sevco) so why should the other clubs get as big a share of the pot as they currently do?

No need for the snippy response IMHO.

The chap has a point. If Celtic fans take 4,000 to Easter Road and god knows what else where ever else why shouldn't they get a chuck of that money?

If Hibs got a chunk of money from fans going to Aberdeen etc I would say more people would go.

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 04:36 PM

Nothing to do with sponsorship or tv deals the point is this, fans taking more ownership of their clubs and looking after their own which I don't see how this can apply to your comments, directly and measurable anyway.

nribs
28-01-2014, 04:37 PM

just a thought.
I'm not sure I understand this? Are you suggesting a season ticket that gets you in to all home and away games or a home only ticket with some home and away tickets available? Could imagine the scene when 30k+ Celtic fans defend on Easter Road?

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 04:39 PM

The chap has a point. If Celtic fans take 4,000 to Easter Road and god knows what else where ever else why shouldn't they get a chuck of that money?

If Hibs got a chunk of money from fans going to Aberdeen etc I would say more people would go.

:agree: Exactly and this is the point, if it's in our own hands we are more likely to do something about it.

just ignored his smart arse comment, typical of someone who would rather just shoot something new down than actually bring some kind of debate to the table.

Gus Fring
28-01-2014, 04:40 PM
How would that work? I pay Hibs £400 to get into away games but Aberdeen have to let me in to Pittodrie for nothing? Who would pay for the policing and stewarding etc?

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure I understand this? Are you suggesting a season ticket that gets you in to all home and away games or a home only ticket with some home and away tickets available? Could imagine the scene when 30k+ Celtic fans defend on Easter Road?

:greengrin Lol that's a fair point aye. Possibly should be more along the lines that we purchase all available seats from hibs or something, you get the just lol

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 04:42 PM
How would that work? I pay Hibs £400 to get into away games but Aberdeen have to let me in to Pittodrie for nothing? Who would pay for the policing and stewarding etc?

they would, they would get the gate money from their away games attended by their fans which would cover the home costs and more of the away fans visiting their ground.

Pete
28-01-2014, 04:43 PM
I would go the other way. Take a percentage off everyone's home gate and split it amongst all the teams.

Football fans from Dundee, Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy swarm to Glasgow to pay money to watch Celtic. You can't force people to support their local team but maybe if the overall cash was distributed according to where supporters actually live then we might have a better overall product.

Scottish football is skewed enough and if any changes are to be made they should designed to make the league more competitive.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2014, 04:48 PM

It's as stupid an idea as I've ever read on these boards. I was being gentle.

Because they're paying to use the facilities in the stadium which we built and paid for.

You reckon folk who otherwise would be staying home or going to the pub would commit to an 8 hour trip because Hibs might get a few quid?

:crazy:

I have never, ever decided to go to a game or not based on how much money Hibs would get and neither has anyone I know.

HappyHibby93
28-01-2014, 04:49 PM
It would send the smaller clubs into financial difficulty without any shadow of doubt. Smaller clubs are very reliant on the income that comes with big Celtic away supports. The main reason clubs in Scotland have gone through a tricky financial period is because Rangers being out the league without a doubt.
Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Hibbyradge
28-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Nothing to do with sponsorship or tv deals the point is this, fans taking more ownership of their clubs and looking after their own which I don't see how this can apply to your comments, directly and measurable anyway.

:agree: Exactly and this is the point, if it's in our own hands we are more likely to do something about it.

just ignored his smart arse comment, typical of someone who would rather just shoot something new down than actually bring some kind of debate to the table.

Which smart arse comment did you ignore? :confused:

typical of someone who would rather just shoot something new down than actually bring some kind of debate to the table.

I'm shooting your "idea" down because it's as poor a plan as I've ever read.

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 04:55 PM

Aye ok then, lets no bother looking to improve on the Status quo I will keep my suggestions, however flawed they may seem to myself in future.

You any ideas for potential improvements we can discuss just so we can get an idea of your wisdom.

hibs4thecup1988
28-01-2014, 04:56 PM

Because they're paying to use the facilities in the stadium which we built and paid for.

You reckon folk who otherwise would be staying home or going to the pub would commit to an 8 hour trip because Hibs might get a few quid?

:crazy:

I have never, ever decided to go to a game or not based on how much money Hibs would get and neither has anyone I know.

Its not a stupid idea..maybe to you it is. I would think that if say we pay £400 for Easter Road and £400 away then fans would go. Guaranteed. I decide on the mornings of away games if I go. If I had a season ticket the choice would already be made for me.

Facilities that we have built...fair enough but we would get the money from our fans travelling away as well.

8 hour journey to Aberdeen? You travelling by horse and cart? :wink::greengrin

Hibstrooper
28-01-2014, 04:57 PM
How about EUFA tackling the billions of pounds going into the big leagues like the English Premiership killing football in smaller countries rather than introducing a scheme that will just widen the own gap in our country further just because we may come out of it slightly better off.

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Which smart arse comment did you ignore? :confused:

Your whole condescending post rather than just say you didn't like the idea.

WindyMiller
28-01-2014, 05:00 PM
When the home teams stopped sharing the gate monies with the away teams the OF were able to pull away from everyone else.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Aye ok then, lets no bother looking to improve on the Status quo I will keep my suggestions, however flawed they may seem to myself in future.

You keep the ideas coming. No-one's telling you to stop innovating.

But please be prepared to be disappointed with people's reactions to them, if you haven't spent any time, whatsoever, thinking them through.

You any ideas for potential improvements we can discuss just so we can get an idea of your wisdom.

Not really, although I hanker back to the days when gate money was evenly shared between the two competing teams.

Ahh, imagine, Celtic's income halved with their opponents. A more level playing field in Scotland. Utopia.

Unlike your "idea" which would just increase Celtic's wealth and consign many of the smaller clubs to the scrap heap.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Your whole condescending post rather than just say you didn't like the idea.

Except you didn't ignore it. You replied to it. :wink:

Keith_M
28-01-2014, 05:03 PM
I'd like to nominate this thread for stupidest idea of the month award.

clerriehibs
28-01-2014, 05:06 PM

What exactly is the difference between your proposal that teams get the money from their own fans home and away, and the "smart arse" comment that you say you're ignoring re celtc/sevco renegotiating the tv money so as they get more of it?
It's exactly the same logic!!

I don't agree with your proposal. Big teams, big crowds at home, big money. There would be NO league without the smaller teams, and they need the occasional big away team support to keep them going.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Its not a stupid idea..maybe to you it is. I would think that if say we pay £400 for Easter Road and £400 away then fans would go. Guaranteed. I decide on the mornings of away games if I go. If I had a season ticket the choice would already be made for me.

For a start, I reckon we'd sell about 10 "away season tickets".

8 hour journey to Aberdeen? You travelling by horse and cart? :wink::greengrin

8 hour round trip, daft lad. And that's not allowing for a pint.

HH81
28-01-2014, 05:07 PM
I would have 50/50 gates. I think this would make away fans go more often.

hibs4thecup1988

Fancy expanding?

Hibbyradge

It'll make it to the annual final too.

SMAXXA

Nominate away

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 05:10 PM
What exactly is the difference between your proposal that teams get the money from their own fans home and away, and the "smart arse" comment that you say you're ignoring re celtc/sevco renegotiating the tv money so as they get more of it?
It's exactly the same logic!!

I don't agree with your proposal. Big teams, big crowds at home, big money. There would be NO league without the smaller teams, and they need the occasional big away team support to keep them going.

How is it the same logic, can fans DIRECTLY influence TV money and sponsorship like?

hibs4thecup1988
28-01-2014, 05:11 PM
For a start, I reckon we'd sell about 10 "away season tickets".

8 hour round trip, daft lad. And that's not allowing for a pint.

You reckon? Only ten? I would say more than that, but I am sure if the idea was ever floated it would be a rough figure of about 1,000

From where? Edinburgh to Aberdeen round trip is about 6 hours tops

nribs
28-01-2014, 05:13 PM
I remember Rodger what's his name at the start of the SPL talking about going alone with SPL TV. I allways liked the idea of a dedicated SPL channel? Showing live games. Youth Football. Magazine style shows. What were the reasons this wouldn't/couldn't work? Sorry for going off topic

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 05:14 PM
You keep the ideas coming. No-one's telling you to stop innovating.

But please be prepared to be disappointed with people's reactions to them, if you haven't spent any time, whatsoever, thinking them through.

[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;3887671]Except you didn't ignore it. You replied to it. :wink:

Aye you got me on that one I did reply, bassa.

lets be clear, I didn't say I had all the answers it's purely something that jumped into my mind sitting bored on a train, it's a concept for discussion no a final blueprint for delivery :wink:

I can can take people no liking it and can see the views of some of the posts disagreeing with it which is fine, it's the slating without any real contribution that's a bit *****e imo

each to their own tho

Hibbyradge
28-01-2014, 05:17 PM
You reckon? Only ten? I would say more than that, but I am sure if the idea was ever floated it would be a rough figure of about 1,000

Not a chance.

FFS, think about it. :rolleyes:

What would the point be going all the way to Aberdeen with one of your coveted away season tickets if you didn't go to the game?

Hibbyradge
28-01-2014, 05:20 PM
lets be clear, I didn't say I had all the answers it's purely something that jumped into my mind sitting bored on a train, it's a concept for discussion no a final blueprint for delivery :wink:

I can can take people no liking it and can see the views of some of the posts disagreeing with it which is fine, it's the slating without any real contribution that's a bit *****e imo

each to their own tho

The problem, Smaxxa, is that no-one can see any merits whatsoever in your idea, so there's nothing to debate.

Sorry.

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 05:21 PM
The problem, Smaxxa, is that no-one can see any merits whatsoever in your idea, so there's nothing to debate.

Sorry.

Some people can, just he short sighted ones can't :cb

Saorsa
28-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Some people can, just he short sighted ones can't :cbShortsighted? I look at that idea and I must be like this :greengrin sorry

https://archive.thedarkcave.org/fool****a/boards/po/image/1386/73/1386736703322.gif

hibs4thecup1988
28-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Shortsighted? I look at that idea and I must be like this :greengrin sorry

https://archive.thedarkcave.org/fool****a/boards/po/image/1386/73/1386736703322.gif

Thats not fair on Jonnyboy that photo.... :duck:

Pretty Boy
28-01-2014, 05:35 PM

No chance would we sell a thousand.

Games are moved about too often for people to commit to buying what is essentially 2 season tickets. I can just about work my shifts around most home games but can't guarantee making it to away games. If it's a big away game (Scottish Cup, Tynecastle etc) I'll try and plan in advance but otherwise it's decide on the day.

There's probably a core of about 3 or 400 Hibs fans who are regular away attendees. The rest is made up of occasional away fans or those who have made plans because it's a big game. I'm not sure asking folk to stump up another £400ish, even if it would benefit Hibs, would change that. Travel costs etc have to be factored in as well, following a football team is an expensive business these days.

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Shortsighted? I look at that idea and I must be like this :greengrin sorry

haha that made me laugh :aok:

Saorsa
28-01-2014, 05:41 PM
haha that made me laugh :aok:That's twice this week :greengrin :thumbsup:

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 05:42 PM
That's twice this week :greengrin :thumbsup:

I know, duno what's wrong with me I've normally got a decent essence of humour :wink:

ancient hibee
28-01-2014, 05:46 PM

You'll never improve the Status Quo-they can only play the one chord.

Finbar
28-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Gate receipts should be split equally between the two teams. A football match needs two teams, if you want to watch the match, regardless of which team you support, you go and buy a ticket for the match. You don't buy a ticket to watch one team, that would be a training session.

And the same should apply to sponsorship money and TV money. The big teams seem to forget that there would be no competition for them to win if it wasn't for the smaller teams.

HH81
28-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Gate receipts should be split equally between the two teams. A football match needs two teams, if you want to watch the match, regardless of which team you support, you go and buy a ticket for the match. You don't buy a ticket to watch one team, that would be a training session.

And the same should apply to sponsorship money and TV money. The big teams seem to forget that there would be no competition for them to win if it wasn't for the smaller teams.

I agree with this.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2014, 07:45 PM

This is where I am as well.

Just can't see it though.

Jonnyboy
28-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Thats not fair on Jonnyboy that photo.... :duck:

What photo? :grr: :greengrin

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Looks like am no the only one who's thought about this subject :greengrin. Taken from the Motherwell AGM report -

The Q&A session focussed on the problems our fans had at Kilmarnock and other ground that had a ticket only entry system and then a wider discussion about the fall in numbers of visiting supporters. Leeann outlined the difficulties there were in attempting to get an Away Season Ticket agreed but suggested that the notion had the club’s support.

As suspected there must be difficulties and prob won't be a goer but found it quite funny given the thoughts on this subject on here. No clue what their AST entailed mind you.

Eyrie
28-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Disagree. We're one of the better supported teams in Scotland, so why should we have to hand over half the gate money for a game against Ross County or St Mirren? A football match may involve two teams, but I'm only watching because one of them is Hibs and to be honest the identity of our opponents is irrelevant.

PatHead
28-01-2014, 10:03 PM
If clubs had to give half their gate money away Hearts, The Rangers and Celtic would suddenly publish the real attendance.

clerriehibs
28-01-2014, 10:09 PM
How is it the same logic, can fans DIRECTLY influence TV money and sponsorship like?

Yes. The TV marketing people aren't stupid. They know the proportions of whose fans are watching which football.

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Yes. The TV marketing people aren't stupid. They know the proportions of whose fans are watching which football.

I disagree and don't think you can, it's not like we can go and say x amount of hibs fans more are watching your televised games give us more slice of the pie. We don't have a marketable product with a worldwide following to the extent of the old firm so we don't have the same draw.

Look at it this way, if we were in the same situation as hearts totally skint and without a home game for weeks due to away fixtures, we would have little way to bring in revenue. Knowing that we could take a real following away which would still help our club would be a huge appeal I would have thought. Think if the extra cash they would have brought in this season rather than give it to other clubs on away trips. I appreciate this is exceptional circumstances but I think you get the jist.

clerriehibs
28-01-2014, 10:44 PM
I disagree and don't think you can, it's not like we can go and say x amount of hibs fans more are watching your televised games give us more slice of the pie. We don't have a marketable product with a worldwide following to the extent of the old firm so we don't have the same draw.

Look at it this way, if we were in the same situation as hearts totally skint and without a home game for weeks due to away fixtures, we would have little way to bring in revenue. Knowing that we could take a real following away which would still help our club would be a huge appeal I would have thought. Think if the extra cash they would have brought in this season rather than give it to other clubs on away trips. I appreciate this is exceptional circumstances but I think you get the jist.

No; I don't. This money-grabbing approach is just a variation on the the tedious celtc/sevco antics over the years.

The league needs teams, otherwise it's not a league. It needs those teams to be competitive, otherwise it's a pointless league. I take it you want celtc to retain the money from the c. 4k fans they take to most away games, we retain the money from the c. 1500 we take, and so on. So the smaller clubs will NEVER compete with us and we'll be FURTHER away than ever from celtc. Appealing? No.

SMAXXA
28-01-2014, 10:56 PM
No; I don't. This money-grabbing approach is just a variation on the the tedious celtc/sevco antics over the years.

The league needs teams, otherwise it's not a league. It needs those teams to be competitive, otherwise it's a pointless league. I take it you want celtc to retain the money from the c. 4k fans they take to most away games, we retain the money from the c. 1500 we take, and so on. So the smaller clubs will NEVER compete with us and we'll be FURTHER away than ever from celtc. Appealing? No.

What kind of business model is it relying on income from the old firm, surly you have to do everything in your power to look after yourself. If all teams did this then the responsibility is with each club and their fans and not reliant on other clubs. I'd rather get what we take than the 2 men and their dug that most Premiership teams bring to ER.

Why is their such a responsibility to all the smaller clubs you reference to, surly that's up to them to get their house in order and it's not our concern. There will always be smaller clubs to make up a league who will come and go but if they get their model right it's not to say they can't be successful.

if they are struggling won't that make their fans even more determined to come out and support them to improve them? Or would they just accept it then if so where's the passion about your club in that?

i do take the point that it would have a bigger impact on the likes of Ross County than say us or hearts or Aberdeen etc.

Btw isn't the bit in bold already happening, however these smaller clubs are doing a lot better than us for example, on smaller budgets so we ain't doing to great out the current model.

Speedy
28-01-2014, 11:19 PM
I think it's a great idea.

Maybe not the financial model that the OP suggested but anything that brings more fans into the Scottish game is worth considering.

An alternative financial arrangement could be that each season ticket is split between all clubs, so for example if an away season ticket was £240 then each club would get £20 for each ticket sold by any club.

clerriehibs
28-01-2014, 11:19 PM

What kind of business model is it relying on income from the old firm, surly you have to do everything in your power to look after yourself. If all teams did this then the responsibility is with each club and their fans and not reliant on other clubs. I'd rather get what we take than the 2 men and their dug that most Premiership teams bring to ER.

Why is their such a responsibility to all the smaller clubs you reference to, surly that's up to them to get their house in order and it's not our concern. There will always be smaller clubs to make up a league who will come and go but if they get their model right it's not to say they can't be successful.

if they are struggling won't that make their fans even more determined to come out and support them to improve them? Or would they just accept it then if so where's the passion about your club in that?

i do take the point that it would have a bigger impact on the likes of Ross County than say us or hearts or Aberdeen etc.

Btw isn't the bit in bold already happening, however these smaller clubs are doing a lot better than us for example, on smaller budgets so we ain't doing to great out the current model.

It wouldn't work. There'll be even less competition than there is now. In the sane way that society as a whole pays according to ability to pay towards a greater whole, that's how leagues work.
Sounds like you just always want a guarantee to be in the mix for best of the rest with aberdeen

SMAXXA
29-01-2014, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=SMAXXA;3888077]

It wouldn't work. There'll be even less competition than there is now. In the sane way that society as a whole pays according to ability to pay towards a greater whole, that's how leagues work.
Sounds like you just always want a guarantee to be in the mix for best of the rest with aberdeen

No idea how you draw that conclusion whatsoever, I don't think you can guarantee anything in our league. As I've stated, the driver is to improve us as a club and give is every opportunity to put things in our hands as much as possible. Same applies to all other clubs.

Keith_M
30-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Looks like am no the only one who's thought about this subject :greengrin. Taken from the Motherwell AGM report -

The Q&A session focussed on the problems our fans had at Kilmarnock and other ground that had a ticket only entry system and then a wider discussion about the fall in numbers of visiting supporters. Leeann outlined the difficulties there were in attempting to get an Away Season Ticket agreed but suggested that the notion had the club’s support.

As suspected there must be difficulties and prob won't be a goer but found it quite funny given the thoughts on this subject on here. No clue what their AST entailed mind you.

Motherwell used to have away Season Tickets for OF fans whereby they paid the money to Motherwell and were guaranteed tickets to see their teams at Fir Park.

In essence, it's absolutely nothing like your proposal to steal from the poor and give to the Rich, Mr Dooh Nibor *

* That's reverse Robin Hood :wink: