PDA

View Full Version : Alton Towers

johnbc70
27-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Was looking for any hints/tips from people that have been before. Thinking of going with the Mrs and 2 kids (6 and 3) in early July time. Staying onsite at Splash Landings looks decent but a bit pricey, so has anyone stayed there before or elsewhere. Seems to be lots of options on tickets as well, so wondering what is best. Also does anyone know how long you could expect to queue in early July etc. Any hints or tips would be much appreciated from anyone that has been before!

BroxburnHibee
27-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Early July during the week queues should be fine because the English kids will still be at school.

Queues at the weekends are just silly and pointless going then IMO

Last time I went we stayed at holiday inn in Stoke which was fine.

We had passes for the Splash Landings pool though - good fun.

Thinking about going this year as well.

Jay
27-01-2014, 08:29 PM
We went a couple of years ago and stayed in the splash landings hotel. It was great to be on site as Alton Towers literally is in the middle of nowhere. The hotel was good for the kids (the lifts play pirate music which tickled me) but the food was expensive and pretty limited. You get into the park an hour earlier if you stay on site which let's you do a couple of busy rides early doors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pretty Boy
27-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Last time we went down we stayed at a B&B in Ashbourne. Compton House I think it was called.

Pretty basic room, decent bar, decent food and reasonably priced. Only 15 minutes drive from the park as well which is handy for getting there sharp in the morning.

Hiber-nation
27-01-2014, 09:46 PM
A few years since we were there, stayed in a lodge in Sandybrook Country Park just north of Ashbourne. Really nice park with stuff for kids to do. Might be quite expensive now but gets great reviews.

Pete
28-01-2014, 01:50 AM
Was looking for any hints/tips from people that have been before. Thinking of going with the Mrs and 2 kids (6 and 3) in early July time. Staying onsite at Splash Landings looks decent but a bit pricey, so has anyone stayed there before or elsewhere. Seems to be lots of options on tickets as well, so wondering what is best. Also does anyone know how long you could expect to queue in early July etc. Any hints or tips would be much appreciated from anyone that has been before!

Never been before but that's where we are going at the start of July. I tried to book one of their own hotels but there was no availability on the dates that were suitable. Were going for the premier inn in Stafford, which is about 19 miles south but incredibly cheap compared to the others. A family of four for four nights and breakfasts for under £200 isn't bad. It's next to a brewers fayre so we plan on stuffing ourselves at breakfast, having a snack at the park and going there, or maybe somewhere else for tea. I know what these parks are like so there's no way I'm paying to eat there. Two day tickets cost us just over £100 in total but that was for during the week. Probably not the poshest of hotels but we don't plan on hanging around there much...and £300 in total for a short family break isn't bad.

sambajustice
28-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Been a good few years since I went, we went with the school late in the school year, so would be around june maybe late may. Anyway, was fairly busy then (I think) and you had to queue a good couple of hours for the top rides.

We didn't stay over so no idea about any local accommodation.

johnbc70
28-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all the tips, if we book before end of January then it's 35% off so will have a more detailed look later. Good to here the queues are not too bad which was my main concern.

tanfield
29-01-2014, 09:03 PM
been a few times over the last few years. stayed at the premier inn at uttoxeter which was handy and only a 15 min drive!

if you know anyone who works for a large company you might be able to get corporate tickets which work out ok.

as someone as said, queues through the day in early July should be manageable. you have to go on the smiler! it's awesome! :)

tanfield
29-01-2014, 09:05 PM
also, the Merlin annual passes are only £79 each in January and they get you unlimited access to a number of attractions around the country. well worth it if you have other trips planned during the year.

LaMotta
29-01-2014, 09:15 PM
If you have any Tesco clubcard vouchers you can redeem for entry tickets a good discount.

Once you get there watch out for the millions of wasps.

green&left
30-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Went down in August and camped. Basic but clean campsite with hookup for about 15 quid a night, can't mind the name but think it advertises itself as the closes campsite to Alton Towers. We did look at Travelodges in Stoke & Cheadle etc, a hell of a lot cheaper than the alton tower ones but with nice weather decided to take the tent.

That was the good part, the bad part was the day of the theme park. Fun had by all but stupidly busy. Took about 40 minutes to travel 5 miles to the place. Getting wristbands etc was a breeze but once in the ques were mental. Think it was two hours each for the oblivion & air, then between an hour and a half for the waterlogs, river rapids and 13. In a full day we managed 5/6 rides and that was skipping lunch and staying until the last minute.

Always get buy one get one free tickets so keep your eyes peeled 8-)

SaulGoodman
30-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Buy the fasttrack tickets and you don't have to worry about queuing.

A bit pricy but worth it if you want to get the most out of the rides, especially when some last under a minute