PDA

View Full Version : Will we sign anyone before Friday deadline

mcfly
27-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I hope so as we need a lift.

3 defeats in a row has knocked any momentum from derby win

Would hope the board push the boat out and get some quality.

DTS
27-01-2014, 07:00 PM
I think we will bring in one permanent signing and one or two loans

Gustavo Fring
27-01-2014, 07:01 PM
2 of teh defeats were the top 2 teams in the league , nobody has beat celtic and not many have beat the sheep

i think we will see 1 or 2 before the end of the week

Northernhibee
27-01-2014, 07:05 PM

They already have done in getting our management team.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 07:05 PM
1 winger 1 striker and attacking mid or fullback.

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 07:08 PM
2 loans and James Vincent.

Ronniekirk
27-01-2014, 07:09 PM

The answer is yes and more than one player. When ? when it happens and we are told .its a waiting game just now

Heisenberg
27-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Yes.

Speedway
27-01-2014, 07:20 PM
No, what we've got will easily be enough to carry us through to a 4th placed finish.

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 07:23 PM
No, what we've got will easily be enough to carry us through to a 4th placed finish.

Has Andy hacked into your account?

BT58
27-01-2014, 07:30 PM
imho if we have players of the same ability as STANTON and HARRIS in the U20s we should let them loose rather than bringing in loan players,
a winger with pace would be good tho, plus a new signing gives everybody a lift :aok::aok:

mcfly
27-01-2014, 07:30 PM

Very good... Sadly TB and MM can't play in defence

neil7908
27-01-2014, 07:51 PM

Not sure if there's a bit of tongue in cheek there but think we'll struggle to make 6th with the current squad let alone 3rd or 4th.

All its taken is a couple of injuries in defence and suddenly we've lost 7 goals in 2 games. Although Harris back and Stanton coming through is very promising I cant see us getting higher than 6th unless we bring in a couple of players who are better than what we currently have.

Another forward, a winger and a right back would be great, even on loan.

Without that I think it'll be a frustrating few months until the summer.

Cabbage East
27-01-2014, 07:56 PM

Do you ever get bored of this shtick?

Hey everyone, I'm edgy and hilarious.

SMAXXA
27-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Yes but Absolutely no idea who. Normally get snippets but TB, MM and SM are tighter than a fishes erse with their targets :greengrin

random sub
27-01-2014, 08:00 PM
No doubt we will leave it til the last minute and make a couple of panic signings to keep the fans happy.....I seem to remember a few such signings in the past!

mutley
27-01-2014, 08:00 PM
I have a funny feeling that TB is only looking at loans, and then rebuild in the summer

Northernhibee
27-01-2014, 08:04 PM

But Hanlon and McGivern will be back for our next game and they can, and TB and MM cost a fair bit of cash and are mid to long term the right people to bring the club forward, not another loan signing like Matty Done.

A bit of perspective required.

Aldo
27-01-2014, 08:05 PM
No doubt we will leave it til the last minute and make a couple of panic signings to keep the fans happy.....I seem to remember a few such signings in the past!

This will not happen. TB has said he will only bring in players that are better than we already have and won't bring folk in for the sake of it.

Think we'll see 3.

mca
27-01-2014, 08:05 PM

They Spent a Lot of Transfer Budget - and Could you imagine if TB came on as a sub in the last ten mins of a game.. the supporters would Love it.. :wink:

RIP
27-01-2014, 09:42 PM
I have a funny feeling that RP is only looking at loans, and then expect TB rebuild in the summer

Fixed that for you Mutley :wink:

Speedway
27-01-2014, 09:49 PM

Yes.

Jones28
27-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Personally think that loans are the only real option until season ticket money comes through in the summer

The Sea-gull
28-01-2014, 07:54 AM

We have definitely made loads of panic signings in the past at the last minute though I don't ever remember being happy about them. The feeling I recall is one of being underwhelmed. Sometimes I think Hibs insult our intelligence by thinking that players like Matt Done will make us happy as they seem to think that the support crave a signing during windows and they dither thinking that if if they just give us any old player by the end of the window, we'll all lap it up.

ahibby
28-01-2014, 08:02 AM
We have definitely made loads of panic signings in the past at the last minute though I don't ever remember being happy about them. The feeling I recall is one of being underwhelmed. Sometimes I think Hibs insult our intelligence by thinking that players like Matt Done will make us happy as they seem to think that the support crave a signing during windows and they dither thinking that if if they just give us any old player by the end of the window, we'll all lap it up.

I don't think we should take it personally. We have just had a couple of management teams in the recent past who can't really spot a bargain, i.e. the best we can get out of our money. Hopefully that'll change now.

Andy74
28-01-2014, 08:32 AM

It also sums up our attitiude to players though and how successful or otherwise they are or can be here.

We badly needed a wide player at that point - this place would have gone mental had we not made some attempt to get one in and we can see yet again how tricky Janaury is to do that with any great success.

Done actually did fine, scored an important goal away to Killie in the cup and is playing regulalrly again now in a Rochdale team that are doing very well.

He's just the sort of signing that Invesrness woud have made - only I'm sure he would have been a bit less harshly judged and given more than a handful of games before being written off.

If you take some of the players Invernerss brought in, because we keep going on about them, and think how they would have got on chucked in here - not so sure many would have been well taken to. Billy McKay scored about 3 goals in his first year. He wouldn't have got a second one here. Should the Inverness fans have been insulted about his signing the first year?

I reckon a few are going to be pretty disappointed when we don't suddenly bring in superstars - they are going to be players that will need time to settle and support. Managers haven't brought players in just for the sake of it or panics peviously - they were all brought to address a certain need at a time.

We are accepting again that Butvcher can't make a difference to the team we've got, many are happy accepting that we have dropped into bottom six and will stay there so we are asking for another whole team probbaly next year. Some will work, some won't - I hope we have the stomach for allowing a team to be built up.

EskbankHibee
28-01-2014, 08:52 AM
It also sums up our attitiude to players though and how successful or otherwise they are or can be here.

We badly needed a wide player at that point - this place would have gone mental had we not made some attempt to get one in and we can see yet again how tricky Janaury is to do that with any great success.

Done actually did fine, scored an important goal away to Killie in the cup and is playing regulalrly again now in a Rochdale team that are doing very well.

He's just the sort of signing that Invesrness woud have made - only I'm sure he would have been a bit less harshly judged and given more than a handful of games before being written off.

If you take some of the players Invernerss brought in, because we keep going on about them, and think how they would have got on chucked in here - not so sure many would have been well taken to. Billy McKay scored about 3 goals in his first year. He wouldn't have got a second one here. Should the Inverness fans have been insulted about his signing the first year?

I reckon a few are going to be pretty disappointed when we don't suddenly bring in superstars - they are going to be players that will need time to settle and support. Managers haven't brought players in just for the sake of it or panics peviously - they were all brought to address a certain need at a time.

We are accepting again that Butvcher can't make a difference to the team we've got, many are happy accepting that we have dropped into bottom six and will stay there so we are asking for another whole team probbaly next year. Some will work, some won't - I hope we have the stomach for allowing a team to be built up.

The Matt Done signing is one the worst I have seen at Hibs. His goal at Kilmarnock was very fortuitous as well.

The problem was, Hibs needed a wide player. We already had one in Ovan Sproule who was allowed to leave to a club who pipped us in the league. The Matt Done/ Ivan Sproule transfers cost us a top 6 finish

EskbankHibee
28-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Andy74? Is this the PF fan? Also now revealing he's happy with signings like Matt Done?!

Ronniekirk
28-01-2014, 09:00 AM
The Matt Done signing is one the worst I have seen at Hibs. His goal at Kilmarnock was very fortuitous as well.

The problem was, Hibs needed a wide player. We already had one in Ovan Sproule who was allowed to leave to a club who pipped us in the league. The Matt Done/ Ivan Sproule transfers cost us a top 6 finish

Yes he scored immediately against us and wouldn't celebrate. they got momentum and he got his confidence back and went on a scoring run .But we weren't playing him and not in the position Ross county utilised him in . we don't know the real reason he was forced out but if it was just to free up his wages then yes it backfired on us big style.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2014, 09:06 AM

You really don't do yourself any favours, Andy. Everything Fenlon did was great, even the signing of that dud.

He's doing well in the worst league in England. Super.

He was absolutely awful for Hibs.

Spike Mandela
28-01-2014, 09:06 AM

:thumbsup::faf:

Scouse Hibee
28-01-2014, 09:53 AM

It's a myth that we give players a harder time than fans of other clubs it really is.

Keith_M
28-01-2014, 10:04 AM
My answer would be...I don't know but I really hope so.

Look at the results in the last two games when we haven't had our first choice defense available; 3-0 down to St Mirren by half-time and four goals conceded to Celtc.

Add in the lack of creativity and I can't see us making the top six this season, which really isn't good enough.

IWasThere2016
28-01-2014, 10:06 AM
You really don't do yourself any favours, Andy. Everything Fenlon did was great, even the signing of that dud.

He's doing well in the worst league in England. Super.

He was absolutely awful for Hibs.

Well said. Done was no AOB though :wink: :greengrin

Saorsa
28-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Done actually did fineNow I ken you must be at the wind up :faf:

The Sea-gull
28-01-2014, 10:21 AM

Done brought nothing to the table other than a goal at Killie that even Alan O'Brien would have scored. He helped us finish last season in the bottom 6 as part of the squad that had a horrendous run in the league last January/February/March rather than the top 6 where we had been for all of the first part of the season.

A better bit of business than the signing of Done in January and we would have finished top 6. Yes we were crying out for a winger. Sproule was not the answer for us at the time as he had gone stale and while he did well at Ross County, I don't think he would ever have recaptured that form for us. He just needed a change of club. Though I would have rather have played him a bit more than signed Done. A player who Fenlon hardly used in the end which says it all.

I'm not surprised at your attempts (be they intentional or unintentional) to turn a post with some criticism of the board or Pat Fenlon into a "it's the fans fault, Hibs fans are not patient enough/we just don't get it/we are the worst fans ever" type thing.

Borderhibbie76
28-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Without wanting to come across as a bed - wetter, by time we next play in league we could be just 4 points off second bottom...dangerous to write off this season as just a failure to reach top 6 as many seem to be doing on here...we could still be dragged into that play off and imo we need 2 or 3 additions before Friday

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ronniekirk
28-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Without wanting to come across as a bed - wetter, by time we next play in league we could be just 4 points off second bottom...dangerous to write off this season as just a failure to reach top 6 as many seem to be doing on here...we could still be dragged into that play off and imo we need 2 or 3 additions before Friday

That's the glass half empty view try the glass half full one it makes more positive reading.

Borderhibbie76
28-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Im as positive as the next hibbie mate...but it does concern me and think a couple of quality additions would get us away from any trouble and perhaps in top 6!!

scoopyboy
28-01-2014, 11:36 AM
That's the glass half empty view try the glass half full one it makes more positive reading.

Apart from the fact that he's right!!!!

A wee bit too late in February or March to realise we are in a scrap, now is the time to get two or three in.

If TB has chosen to leave out KT, RV, TT and TC then that's fine by me but he has to bring in otherwise we could be caught seriously short come April / May.

Half full can turn to half empty pretty quickly.

EskbankHibee
28-01-2014, 11:38 AM

A wee bit too late in February or March to realise we are in a scrap, now is the time to get two or three in.

If TB has chosen to leave out KT, RV, TT and TC then that's fine by me but he has to bring in otherwise we could be caught seriously short come April / May.

Exactly! If he's going to release these four he has to have someone to bring in. Fenlon let Wotherspoon go and we've been left all season without a winger

Twa Cairpets
28-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Exactly! If he's going to release these four he has to have someone to bring in. Fenlon let Wotherspoon go and we've been left all season without a winger
Apart form Harris, Cairney and Zoubir, of course. But don't let the facts spoil your argument

Ronniekirk
28-01-2014, 11:43 AM

I hear what your saying and would have no problems with a couple of good signings which I still think will happen , but really don't think we will get drawn into play off s. under another manager possibly but think we have shown enough to suggest at some point we will go on another unbeaten run .

Ronniekirk
28-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Im as positive as the next hibbie mate...but it does concern me and think a couple of quality additions would get us away from any trouble and perhaps in top 6!!

Don't disagree that top six would look more attainable with a couple of quality additions .

smurf
28-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Well said Scoops.

scoopyboy
28-01-2014, 11:48 AM
I hear what your saying and would have no problems with a couple of good signings which I still think will happen , but really don't think we will get drawn into play off s. under another manager possibly but think we have shown enough to suggest at some point we will go on another unbeaten run .

I don't think we will get drawn into a fight for the play off either but I feel we have to bring in a couple just in case we do.

You can just imagine if we were to drop to second bottom and signed nobody this window.

I think TB coming away with " we didn't sign anybody in January because we felt we were fine but now we are second bottom and have players injured " would send this place into meltdown.

jacomo
28-01-2014, 11:53 AM

:agree:

This forum is not for light-hearted remarks or humour - ever.

Any post that isn't 100% frothing rage or indiscriminate hatred is a wasted post IMO.

Back to topic: I want another keeper who can push Williams for a starting berth, another centre back who's like Nelson but five years younger, a right back, a left back, a CM, a winger and striker by Friday at the absolute minimum or TB and his crew, Petrie, Farmer and everyone east of Charlotte Square who I don't like the look of can all GTF.

Right, I'm off to howl at the moon... and I can't even see the moon right now because it's the middle of the day ffs.

EskbankHibee
28-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Apart form Harris, Cairney and Zoubir, of course. But don't let the facts spoil your argument

Cairney and Harris went out injured and we had no cover. Zoubir was a panic signing as we had no one else

Ronniekirk
28-01-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't think we will get drawn into a fight for the play off either but I feel we have to bring in a couple just in case we do.

You can just imagine if we were to drop to second bottom and signed nobody this window.

I think TB coming away with " we didn't sign anybody in January because we felt we were fine but now we are second bottom and have players injured " would send this place into meltdown.

If that happened yes am sure it would , just sticking to my view that don't think it will come to that as we will sign a couple of players and we have a bit of time for Terry to work with the squad for next league game and with players back from injury and Stanton and Harris combining into mix we really shouldn't be getting dragged down there Yes I know it's happened before and traditional post x mass slump and all that but at present am not thinking that way .

Hiber-nation
28-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Some hilarious stuff on this thread and some sensible stuff too.

I can't get over "Done actually did fine". I remember sitting in the East shaking my head in between trying not to laugh at this chump who could just about dribble the ball the way he was facing and that was that.

The Sea-gull
28-01-2014, 12:03 PM

I don't think you are being a bed wetter. We are not out of the woods yet asafar as the play off is concerned but I still feel that, on balance with the squad we have, hopefully add a couple of players before the window "slams shut" and with our manager, we are more likely to be in the top 6 than second bottom.

The most realistic prediction for the rest of the season just now is that we'll finish about 7th or 8th.

While not ruling out us being in a play off, what is largely convincing me we won't be is that I cannot see Partick, Ross Co, St Mirren and Killie all overtaking us and finishing above us. One or two of them might, maybe even three but I can't see all of them doing it unless we get really really bad.

I would be very concerned though if we get to the end of the game on 5th April and face the post split in the bottom 6 very much involved in the play off shake up. That scenario would mean we have had a very poor February and March.

Zazu62
28-01-2014, 12:05 PM

Hahahaha

The_Todd
28-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Can't we all get over Done now?

Twa Cairpets
28-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Cairney and Harris went out injured and we had no cover. Zoubir was a panic signing as we had no one else

Not when Spoony left though, so not for the first time you're talking oot yer erky.

MB62
28-01-2014, 12:56 PM

A bit harsh on TB I think. It's not as though he doesn't want or has not been trying to bring in new players now. There is NOWT in the pot to go out and buy or sign new players, anything we may have had was done in bringing TB etc to the club.

Nailrod
28-01-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't think you are being a bed wetter. We are not out of the woods yet as far as the play off is concerned but I still feel that, on balance with the squad we have, hopefully add a couple of players before the window "slams shut" and with our manager, we are more likely to be in the top 6 than second bottom.

I simply cannot see this happening. In order to get into the top 6 you have to be able to win games against other teams in the top 6 with some degree of frequency. Over the past few seasons this is where we've been spectacularly weak. Yet again we have managed a single victory so far this season (I think in 11-12 we managed one in the whole season).

And if we do bring in anybody new it's just not going to be the kind of player that could hit the ground and really make a big difference - the difference between finishing 7,8,9 and finishing 2,3,4. If we were to get anybody in it would just be the kind of 'more of the same but (hopefully) a wee bit better' that we've had in spades for the last n seasons. I don't think Butcher's interested in that and neither should he be.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-01-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm DONE with this thread

:wink:

silverhibee
28-01-2014, 01:27 PM

Rod has brought in a Ferrari but he can't afford the petrol to run it in a race.

Players should have been identified and brought in at the start of the window to help secure a top six finish, the teams above us are catchable but not with the squad we have, we need to strengthen as we will pick up more injuries and suspensions as the season goes on and as you say four players who might not be in the plans for the rest of the season, plus the young lads may have a we dip in form and will need to be rested at times, do we rotate young for young players which could be risky.

Hopefully the manager gets some players in before Thursday. :agree:

IWasThere2016
28-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Rod has brought in a Ferrari but he can't afford the petrol to run it in a race.

Players should have been identified and brought in at the start of the window to help secure a top six finish, the teams above us are catchable but not with the squad we have, we need to strengthen as we will pick up more injuries and suspensions as the season goes on and as you say four players who might not be in the plans for the rest of the season, plus the young lads may have a we dip in form and will need to be rested at times, do we rotate young for young players which could be risky.

Hopefully the manager gets some players in before Thursday. :agree:

We won't be sucked into the scrap with TB - in the same way PF did in his first season - but we do need to strengthen, and have needed to for some time tbh. Some pace up front will come in. I expect two loanees this week.

Cameron1875
28-01-2014, 02:38 PM

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/edward-norton-laptop-gif.gif

The Sea-gull
28-01-2014, 03:01 PM
I simply cannot see this happening. In order to get into the top 6 you have to be able to win games against other teams in the top 6 with some degree of frequency. Over the past few seasons this is where we've been spectacularly weak. Yet again we have managed a single victory so far this season (I think in 11-12 we managed one in the whole season).

And if we do bring in anybody new it's just not going to be the kind of player that could hit the ground and really make a big difference - the difference between finishing 7,8,9 and finishing 2,3,4. If we were to get anybody in it would just be the kind of 'more of the same but (hopefully) a wee bit better' that we've had in spades for the last n seasons. I don't think Butcher's interested in that and neither should he be.

I can't see it happening either to be honest. Am now starting to think we are likely to be bottom 6. what I was meaning was that I actually think we are more likely to scrape top 6 than finish second bottom as it requires four teams to all go on good runs while we have a bad time of it. To get in the top 6 we only need one team to falter slightly and for us to pick up. Therefore more likely to happen.

As I said in an earlier post, my realistic bet is that we will finish 7th or 8th.

down-the-slope
28-01-2014, 03:16 PM

Behave - if Pat had given Spoony a new contract this place would have gone mental

Heisenberg
28-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Matt Done was a total donkey.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
28-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Matt done was a panic signing and a totally pointless signing at that. A wide midfielder with no pace.

The_Todd
28-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Matt Done was a total donkey.

Now you've Done it

Craig_in_Prague
28-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Matt done was a panic signing and a totally pointless signing at that. A wide midfielder with no pace.

Pacey and tricky according to Fenlon.
Oh how I need to ignore a managers word for it, until he has played.

scoopyboy
28-01-2014, 04:19 PM
A bit harsh on TB I think. It's not as though he doesn't want or has not been trying to bring in new players now. There is NOWT in the pot to go out and buy or sign new players, anything we may have had was done in bringing TB etc to the club.

I wasn't meaning to be harsh on TM Mike, it was more of a scenario of how people on here would see it.

If there is nowt in the pot as you say the club should come out and say exactly that, as opposed to TB saying we will have players signed by the xth of this month.

My other point is if the worst case scenario were to happen then there will be < nowt next season.

Ronniekirk
28-01-2014, 05:39 PM
I wasn't meaning to be harsh on TM Mike, it was more of a scenario of how people on here would see it.

If there is nowt in the pot as you say the club should come out and say exactly that, as opposed to TB saying we will have players signed by the xth of this month.

My other point is if the worst case scenario were to happen then there will be < nowt next season.

He has already said there was some budget to bring a couple of players in even if none of the four who have been told to go stay.,So still think there will be something happening But he also said he didn't want to leave all the business to be at the last minute so on that basis you would think there would be a signing before Friday If that wasn't to happen then the deals he was hoping for have fallen through which am assuming we would get an explanation why .

Speedway
29-01-2014, 07:21 PM

Shrekko
29-01-2014, 09:14 PM

Where do you get your info? He's started the majority of games this season on the bench for Rochdale.

stevejordan
29-01-2014, 09:35 PM
fingers crossed we get some new players signed or some loanees prior to the window closing

Andy74
29-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Where do you get your info? He's started the majority of games this season on the bench for Rochdale.

He's started the last four. In any case I said playing regularly not started. Played in 21 games so far.

Keith_M
30-01-2014, 05:54 PM
He's started the last four. In any case I said playing regularly not started. Played in 21 games so far.

So what your saying is that he's not even a first pick in the fourth tier of English Football?

:wink:

Time For Heroes
31-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Id guess at least 3 loan signings ; 0)

MB62
31-01-2014, 02:49 PM

Seems the pot wasn't empty after all :greengrin

Gmack7
31-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Seems the pot wasn't empty after all :greengrin

aye but have we had the marquee signing yet