PDA

View Full Version : Best full debut by a Hibs youngster

nribs
27-01-2014, 12:41 PM
After watching Sam Stanton yesterday on his full debut for Hibs, I believe this is the best full debut i have seen from a Hibs youngster in years, I can't remember in what games Brown, O'Connor, Miller etc made their debuts in but obviously none seem to have stuck out for me as much as this kid. Who made the best debut you can recall?

johnbc70
27-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Wotherspoon's debut against St Mirren a few years ago was best I saw him ever play. He scored the winner as well.

Stevie Reid
27-01-2014, 12:54 PM
After watching Sam Stanton yesterday on his full debut for Hibs, I believe this is the best full debut i have seen from a Hibs youngster in years, I can't remember in what games Brown, O'Connor, Miller etc made their debuts in but obviously none seem to have stuck out for me as much as this kid. Who made the best debut you can recall?

Scott Brown came off the bench in a 3-0 home win v Aberdeen when he was 17 - played right wing and ripped them apart.

Edit - just checked and it was 3-1, and Riordan scored two of the goals. Brown had three assists, IIRC.

Tom Hart RIP
27-01-2014, 12:56 PM
16 year old John Collins against Man City. The full back never got near him.

Stevie Reid
27-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Tam McManus tore Hearts up on the right wing at Tynie in a 2-1 defeat at the end of the 1999-2000 season - think it may have been his first start.

Gustavo Fring
27-01-2014, 01:09 PM
jordon forster was outstanding at the savile dome on his debut

hibsmad
27-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Scott Brown came off the bench in a 3-0 home win v Aberdeen when he was 17 - played right wing and ripped them apart.

Edit - just checked and it was 3-1, and Riordan scored two of the goals. Brown had three assists, IIRC.

I remember Brown in that game. Everyone was talking about Riordan as he got two goals but I thought Brown was outstanding. I can't remember if this was Brown's first game, but, although Stanton was brilliant yesterday, I would have to say that Brown impressed me more if we are talking about best debut.

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Jonathon Bailie against Celtic in the league cup. Thomson winner.

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Was browns first game not against Livi?

Spike Mandela
27-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Seem to remember a young Willie Miller making his debut at RB at Parkhead and putting in a MOM performance. The mists of time may be playing tricks with my old mind though.

loanheadhibby
27-01-2014, 01:21 PM

Kevin McCann away to aberdeen in the cup. He had a very good game. Thought he was a star in the making. 2 2 draw?

E10 Rifle
27-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Did Graeme Donald not score a hat-trick on his full debut? (as a previous poster has said may be the mists of time...or the drink that fuddles the memory!):cheers:

Boyle89
27-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Kevin McCann away to aberdeen in the cup. He had a very good game. Thought he was a star in the making. 2 2 draw?

Remember this vividly. Was on telly an he was superb. Threw himself into every tackle winning the ball everytime. Killen and sproule scoring? Was this not the game killen got injured?

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 01:35 PM

Remember that well. Was the game Killen got crippled in the last min and they equalised. The replay was the game Stewart scored the volley from the corner. Good shout.

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Remember this vividly. Was on telly an he was superb. Threw himself into every tackle winning the ball everytime. Killen and sproule scoring? Was this not the game killen got injured?

Yep.

Ozyhibby
27-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Did Graeme Donald not score a hat-trick on his full debut? (as a previous poster has said may be the mists of time...or the drink that fuddles the memory!):cheers:

Think it was three goals in his first three games.

Iceman1875
27-01-2014, 01:41 PM

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig_in_Prague
27-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Wotherspoon's debut against St Mirren a few years ago was best I saw him ever play. He scored the winner as well.

(pedant alert),
DW made it 1-1 not long after going 1 down, Benji got the winner late on.
DW played great the following home game too, nearly scoring a cracker against Celtic

EskbankHibee
27-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Earl Jean. McDiarmid Park

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Earl Jean. McDiarmid Park

Did we no get pumped? Re-arranged game that we got in for £1?

EskbankHibee
27-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Did we no get pumped? Re-arranged game that we got in for £1?

Aye 1-0. Never a penalty. Colgan claimed the ball right in front of us. Perfect view don't know why he gave it!

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Aye 1-0. Never a penalty. Colgan claimed the ball right in front of us. Perfect view don't know why he gave it!

John Oneil scored? Off topic I know sorry.

Weir7
27-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Seem to remember a young Willie Miller making his debut at RB at Parkhead and putting in a MOM performance. The mists of time may be playing tricks with my old mind though.

Spot on. He was different class. Also, Stantons had I thonk 19 sub apperances. No doubt in my mind he'll be a top player

EskbankHibee
27-01-2014, 02:13 PM
John Oneil scored? Off topic I know sorry.

Can't remember. Sure he scored at ER from distance the season before he signed though

Weir7
27-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Mikey Weir against Dumbarton, playeds centre mid. Bossed the game.

Always remember archie mcpherson on sportscene raving about him on the saturday night highlights show

Jones28
27-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Wotherspoon, Stanton, Jay Shields, McCann and Stevenson all had great debuts iirc

Did Darren McCormack not play a blinder in his first start, at centre half against Celtic?

erin go bragh
27-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Callum Booth caught the eye on his first start .

Ggtth

Tom Hart RIP
27-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Mikey Weir against Dumbarton, playeds centre mid. Bossed the game.

Always remember archie mcpherson on sportscene raving about him on the saturday night highlights show

Agreed. Archie said Mickey looked as if he should be up Princes Street shopping with his mum before the game. He soon changed his mind. Was that Pats last game as manager?

TrinityHibs
27-01-2014, 03:50 PM
I am sure I thought Kujabi looked like a player for the first 90 minutes of his Hibs career.:greengrin

Weir7
27-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Agreed. Archie said Mickey looked as if he should be up Princes Street shopping with his mum before the game. He soon changed his mind. Was that Pats last game as manager?

May have been his aunty. Could have been pats last game, I tink it was game pat resigned but then came back briefly.

Jones28
27-01-2014, 04:20 PM
I am sure I thought Kujabi looked like a player for the first 90 minutes of his Hibs career.:greengrin

Contender for biggest Hibs career nosedive!

CRAZYHIBBY
27-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Danny lennon played a blinder in his debut against aberdeen then scored in the 83rd minute I think to seal a 3-1 win .....aberdeens lee richardson scored the opener for the dons

London Hibs FC
27-01-2014, 06:51 PM

This, he was excellent in that game!

Ray_
27-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Cheating a bit, but Issac Refvif, 21 years when he scored both goals for us to turn around a 0-1 first leg reverse against high flying Morton in the league cup quarter-final.

But really, I don't know how his first debut went, but while 17, scoring four against the best ever hearts team at the Tynie in a Scottish cup tie, it had to be terrific and his second debut was right up there as one of the most memorable Hibs games I've ever witnessed. Step forward Joe Baker, I'll let others fill in the gaps about his debut.

SuperAllyMcleod
27-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Wish I there to see it but I don't think anyone would top Gordon Smith's hat trick in a 4-3 win at Tynecastle as a 17 year old.

jodjam
27-01-2014, 09:04 PM

This one for me. Sat in home end which was torture. WM was outstanding

stu in nottingham
27-01-2014, 11:39 PM
One I'd like to have witnessed - Peter Cormack

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20120314/glorious-in-green-white-cormack_2262950_2658382

'His Hibernian career came alive as a 17-year-old against the great Real Madrid in a prestigious friendly fixture arranged at Easter Road in October 1964.
A slim, callow youth, Cormack looked like he would be snapped in half by the first full-blooded tackle that came his way.

But what the local lad lacked in bulk he more than made up for in supreme self-belief and his debut was the stuff of legends; characterised by an audacious back-heel inside the opening few minutes.

Wearing the number seven shirt immortalised by the great Gordon Smith a decade previously, Cormack, a naturally confident individual, was completely unfazed by the occasion and seemed to thrive under the pressure.

Against recognised world-beaters, Cormack scored a sweeping left-footed volley before being congratulated for the second - later credited as an own goal by Real defender Zoco.

It was abundantly clear from the outset, after the Madrid masterclass, that Hibernian had unearthed a genuine world class player.'

Jonnyboy
27-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Wish I there to see it but I don't think anyone would top Gordon Smith's hat trick in a 4-3 win at Tynecastle as a 17 year old.

Surely the winner

Unseen work
28-01-2014, 01:06 AM
If I recall correctly a couple...well must be about 8 years or so ago now against aberdeen we played a very young team who played brilliant
Damon gray who scored
Darren McCormack
Stuart mccaffery etc