PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding in the summer

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Will we be seeing a fair amount of signings in the summer as TB will want to rebuild his squad and get his own players in/what kind of players will we be bringing in do we think? I know that we are just over half way through our current season but I honestly think when TB brings in his own players we will be great next season:agree:

SMAXXA
27-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Will we be seeing a fair amount of signings in the summer as TB will want to rebuild his squad and get his own players in/what kind of players will we be bringing in do we think? I know that we are just over half way through our current season but I honestly think when TB brings in his own players we will be great next season:agree:

Complete overhaul in the summer with multiple signings and a number of players going out IMO

mutley
27-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Complete overhaul in the summer with multiple signings and a number of players going out IMO

That sounds about right to me

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 10:47 AM

Going on what has been the norm at clubs and what TB has said, the summer will be when the main activity takes place. Our current first team squad is as follows:-

Williams, Clancy, McGivern, Hanlon, Nelson, McPake, Harris, Robertson, Vine, Craig, Cairney, Collins, Stevenson, OTJ, Maybury, Handling, Taiwo, Murdoch, Forster, Heffernan, Stanton, Zoubir, Caldwell, Grant, Cummings and Thomson.

I'm not quite sure what the contract staus of all the players is but barring a massive up turn in performances, I would say that definitely leaving by end of season at latest will be Clancy, Vine, Maybury (reckon he might retire), Taiwo, Zoubir and Thomson.

The question mark category looms over Williams, Nelson, McPake, Cairney, OTJ and Heffernan. I don't think he'll keep both Nelson and McPake. He's surprisingly not really used OTJ so there could be something up there and he could be off. Cairney's future hinges on how he does for the rest of the season but he's been a bit hit and miss and with Dundee United, Partick and St Mirren supposedly interested, he could be away.

So we could have (if one or two of the question marks stay):-

GKs - Williams or new GK, Murdoch, Grant

Defenders - McGivern, Hanlon, Forster, Nelson or McPake

Midfielders - Harris, Robertson, Craig, Stevenson, Stanton

Forwards - Collins, Handling, Caldwell and Cummings

The above will be supplemented by maybe one or two players we net in January but I suspect we could see a good few in during the summer all over the park. Forwards will be interesting as I don't think, barring a good back end of the season, Heff has really done enough to be kept. We also don't need Handling, Cummings and Caldwell all in the first team squad. I expect one of those three to be released, one to be loaned and one to get a chance in the top team along with Collins and two new strikers.

SMAXXA
27-01-2014, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Heff getting emptied either in the summer

Billy Whizz
27-01-2014, 11:05 AM

What's the situation with Heff? Carrying an injury or does the management not fancy him?
Think he's contracted until summer 2015 though

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 11:11 AM

That would be a shame, I really like Heff. Think he's arguably the best finisher at the club (i know he hasn't scored too many but look at when he was at Killie) think he still has a lot to offer, aswell as being a liked member of the team, and a vital member of the Venga Bus crew:greengrin #KeepTheHeff

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Here is my best guesses on player contracts. Please can people who are a bit more knowlwedgeable on these sort of things correct/fill in the blanks where appropriate:-

Williams - ends summer 2014
Clancy - ends summer 2014
McGivern - ends summer 2015
Hanlon - ends summer 2016
Nelson - ends summer 2015
McPake - ends summer 2014
Harris - ends summer 2017
Robertson - ends summer 2015
Vine - ends summer 2014
Craig - ends summer 2015
Cairney - ends summer 2014
Collins - ends summer 2015
Stevenson - ends summer 2014
OTJ - ends summer 2015
Maybury - ends summer 2014
Handling
Taiwo - ends summer 2014
Murdoch
Forster- ends summer 2016
Heffernan - ends summer 2015
Stanton - ends summer 2015
Zoubir - ends summer 2014
Caldwell - ends summer 2014
Grant
Cummings
Thomson - ends summer 2014

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Here is my best guesses on player contracts. Please can people who are a bit more knowlwedgeable on these sort of things correct/fill in the blanks where appropriate:-

Hanlon
Nelson - ends summer 2014
McPake - ends summer 2015
Harris - dunno but signed a new deal last week so must be a good few years
Vine - ends summer 2014
Craig - ends summer 2015
OTJ - ends summer 2015
Handling
Taiwo - ends summer 2014
Murdoch
Forster
Heffernan
Stanton
Caldwell
Grant
Cummings
Thomson - ends summer 2015

Just saw Heffernan was on a 2 year deal when he signed in Aug 2013. Looks like we're stuck with him potentially then. Not really fussed but fitness and form not been great thus far.

SMAXXA
27-01-2014, 11:26 AM
What's the situation with Heff? Carrying an injury or does the management not fancy him?
Think he's contracted until summer 2015 though

That would be a shame, I really like Heff. Think he's arguably the best finisher at the club (i know he hasn't scored too many but look at when he was at Killie) think he still has a lot to offer, aswell as being a liked member of the team, and a vital member of the Venga Bus crew:greengrin #KeepTheHeff

ive go idea what the situation is with him and don't think the re in some to be honest. He's not fit or sharp enough which was evident against UTD and Aberdeen. I know he has another year but I suspect we will bring in alternatives and he will move on.

frazeHFC
27-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Harris - dunno but signed a new deal last week so must be a good few years

Pretty sure it was until 2017 he signed which is great news.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Just saw Heffernan was on a 2 year deal when he signed in Aug 2013. Looks like we're stuck with him potentially then. Not really fussed but fitness and form not been great thus far.

Pretty sure Nelson signed on 3 year deal, so he will be about 35.

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 11:36 AM

Did he? If that's true then whoever sanctioned that needs their head read. He's an ok player but seems mad to hand out 3 year deals to 33 year old bog standard SPL centre halfs.

B.H.F.C
27-01-2014, 11:37 AM
ive go idea what the situation is with him and don't think the re in some to be honest. He's not fit or sharp enough which was evident against UTD and Aberdeen. I know he has another year but I suspect we will bring in alternatives and he will move on.

Wouldnt surprise me either. I think Heff could score goals for us but I'm not sure he's mobile enough for Butcher's liking.

B.H.F.C
27-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Did he? If that's true then whoever sanctioned that needs their head read. He's an ok player but seems mad to hand out 3 year deals to 33 year old bog standard SPL centre halfs.

Was 2 years

Billy Whizz
27-01-2014, 11:39 AM

End of next season I thought

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 11:43 AM

Sorry, it was 2 years will be 35 in his final season, i think. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23540624

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 11:44 AM
End of next season I thought

Signed a 2 year deal (thought it was 3) and of next season bud.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Was 2 years

Yep, apologies http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23540624

Billy Whizz
27-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Yep, apologies http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23540624

No worries

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Sorry, it was 2 years will be 35 in his final season, i think. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23540624

Cheers. Editing the list on my earlier post as we go along.

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 12:05 PM

Hanlon - ends summer 2016
Nelson - ends summer 2015
McPake - ends summer 2014
Harris - ends summer 2017
Vine - ends summer 2014
Craig - ends summer 2015
OTJ - ends summer 2015
Handling
Taiwo - ends summer 2014
Murdoch
Forster- ends summer 2016
Heffernan - ends summer 2015
Stanton - ends summer 2015
Caldwell - ends summer 2014
Grant
Cummings
Thomson - ends summer 2014

Just looked a few up. Never realised McPake's is out in the summer. Thought he had signed a three year in summer 2012. Also, had though Nelson was on a one year but turns out he in on a two.

Got a feeling McPake will either be released at the end of his deal, retire or be given 6 months to prove his fitness at Hibs or elsewhere. If I was Terry I would just release him. I know it seems harsh but I don't think we can afford to wait on McPake finding his form and fitness.

Mentioned in another post that I thought he would only retain one of Nelson and McPake. With fitness, form and the contract situation, if one is being kept then it has to be Nelson for me.

Ronniekirk
27-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Just looked a few up. Never realised McPake's is out in the summer. Thought he had signed a three year in summer 2012. Also, had though Nelson was on a one year but turns out he in on a two.

Got a feeling McPake will either be released at the end of his deal, retire or be given 6 months to prove his fitness at Hibs or elsewhere. If I was Terry I would just release him. I know it seems harsh but I don't think we can afford to wait on McPake finding his form and fitness.

Mentioned in another post that I thought he would only retain one of Nelson and McPake. With fitness, form and the contract situation, if one is being kept then it has to be Nelson for me.

Its a no brainer .just a pity Nelson is getting on in years as legs might loose bit more pace into next season and and he isn't quickest ,but normally his positional play and reading of game is good

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Its a no brainer .just a pity Nelson is getting on in years as legs might loose bit more pace into next season and and he isn't quickest ,but normally his positional play and reading of game is good

Nelson is a no-nonsense defender who, while being far from perfect, is dependable enough at this level with the right partner. His distribution is shocking though and he is not a footballer.

It works well with him and Hanlon though as he is the more "attacking" defender who gets the head on the ball and hoofs it clear when required. Hanlon provides the pace and a bit more quality on the ball. When he has played with Nelson, it is the most assured I have seen Hanlon look in a Hibs shirt. Any other combination out of McPake, Hanlon, Nelson and Forster just does not work nearly as well as Hanlon and Nelson.

In terms of centre halfs for next season, I'd keep Hanlon and Nelson with Froster still in and around things learing the game. I'd bring in a real top quailty centre half though - one who can play well no matter who he is put beside. That is something that Pat Fenlon never really addressed for any decent length of time while at Hibs.

Ronniekirk
27-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Nelson is a no-nonsense defender who, while being far from perfect, is dependable enough at this level with the right partner. His distribution is shocking though and he is not a footballer.

It works well with him and Hanlon though as he is the more "attacking" defender who gets the head on the ball and hoofs it clear when required. Hanlon provides the pace and a bit more quality on the ball. When he has played with Nelson, it is the most assured I have seen Hanlon look in a Hibs shirt. Any other combination out of McPake, Hanlon, Nelson and Forster just does not work nearly as well as Hanlon and Nelson.

In terms of centre halfs for next season, I'd keep Hanlon and Nelson with Froster still in and around things learing the game. I'd bring in a real top quailty centre half though - one who can play well no matter who he is put beside. That is something that Pat Fenlon never really addressed for any decent length of time while at Hibs.

Dont think there were many things he addressed Thankfully he addressed his resignation letter right . That was one of his better decisions .

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Jake Hyde?

Ronniekirk
18-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Think Killie knew for them it was a no brainer keep Boyd who has proved to be goalscorer they thought he would be and jettison Heff a high earner who had done well for them but was getting older for a striker and was never blessed with great pace and if anything he may have lost a bit more since he came to us .When on form he can make the ball stick and link up play well but if butcher wants game played at higher tempo then he may struggle to get back in on regular basis but playing for under 20s as he was tonight can bring players like Cummings on .

Aldo
18-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Jake Hyde?

23 in 55 appearances for Barnet. 6ft 1 23 years old.

Could fit the bill?

Billy Whizz
18-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Jake Hyde?

Bob, where have you dug his name up from

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Bob, where have you dug his name up from

Was just a suggestion Billy. Could score goals for us? Would like Frank Moussa from Coventry too. Great creative player!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-02-2014, 09:00 PM
23 in 55 appearances for Barnet. 6ft 1 23 years old.

Could fit the bill?

:agree:

Aldo
18-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Was just a suggestion Billy. Could score goals for us? Would like Frank Moussa from Coventry too. Great creative player!

Seems to score a few as well. Hopefully the sort/type of player we are looking at. Doing very well at City though.

Billy Whizz
18-02-2014, 09:03 PM

Ok, thought you might have had a scoop

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-02-2014, 09:13 PM
I also like Luke Prosser from Southend but he is under contract.

Aldo
18-02-2014, 09:22 PM
I also like Luke Prosser from Southend but he is under contract.

There are quite a few good players in the English lower leagues. I am sure Marsella will have a dossier of sorts on a number of targets.

Aldo
18-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Jake Hyde?

FWIW he's scored again this evening.

HKhibby
18-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Totally agree with this, i dont know off them, due to not following both coventry or Barnet, and living 1000s miles away! but championship or championship 1 players are the way to go i would have thought for Butcher with Hibs, given he will have the contacts

GreenOnions
18-02-2014, 11:42 PM

I know what you mean - I quite like him too. Not sure he's what we need though. The one thing I've always noticed about him - and this may seem an odd observation - is that he doesn't seem to be able to kick the ball very hard ..... ever. Is that important? I don't know - but it's something I've noticed - even the goals he scores are often trundlers.