PDA

View Full Version : Bygone Days at Easter Road

Waxy
26-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Macaroon bars...........get yer macaroon bars here.

Dunno if it was just the one guy going around the terraces or a squad, but they/he went around only selling these when i was a lad.
Remember this? This was around the early 80s.
I wonder what they sold around the ground in even earlier times.

Hibee87
26-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Dunno if it was just the one guy going around the terraces or a squad, but they/he went around only selling these when i was a lad.
When I started going in tge early to mid 90's I used to love the hibs green n white popcorn

Eternal Hibbie
26-01-2014, 12:09 PM
"Can you gie me a lift ower mister".

And I was only about sixteen !!!

eastterrace
26-01-2014, 12:12 PM

spearmint tunegum i seem to mind as well as the macaroon bars but mostly thru in weedgie land .

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Erra Caramac as well don't forget....:greengrin

HibbyDave
26-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Bollinger and Oysters/Prawn sandwiches...

Oh No...................... that was at the Rugby last year.

1950's hibbie
26-01-2014, 03:04 PM
In the forties and fifties I only remember Bovril. Of course in the fifties the crowds were big so moving around wasn't easy. It is forgotten to some but a lot of stuff was still rationed in the early fifties I think sweeties were one of these. One thing no rationed was good referees

Ray_
26-01-2014, 03:24 PM

I remember them being sold in the sixties.

Alfred E Newman
26-01-2014, 04:08 PM
I remember them being sold in the sixties.

:agree:
Here a' Macaroon Bars an, a' Spearmint chewing gum

jdships
26-01-2014, 04:09 PM
In the forties and fifties I only remember Bovril. Of course in the fifties the crowds were big so moving around wasn't easy. It is forgotten to some but a lot of stuff was still rationed in the early fifties I think sweeties were one of these. One thing no rationed was good referees

I remember the old boy who walked along the track at the east terracing , cemetery end and Dunbar's selling sweets from a tray round his neck .
They tried it for a while on the gangways of the East Terracing but Polis weren't too happy after two or three games .

There was also a man carried the " halftime scoreboard" round the track at half time , later they put up a wooden half time scoreboard in the SE corner at Dunbar's end .
Was lettered A to H and you checked your programme to find which teams were referred to by a letter .

"Memories are made of this " the song says !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hibby Bairn
26-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Wagon Wheels circa 1979.

JollyGreenGiant
26-01-2014, 04:38 PM
:agree:
Here a' Macaroon Bars an, a' Spearmint chewing gum

Always thought it was "here a Macaroon Bar, a chewing gum, a Chewits?"

:greengrin

JAY-ESS GREEN
26-01-2014, 05:06 PM

Mind being at hampden many years ago macaroon bars chewing gum and packs of Wilkinson sword Razor blades!

Hibby Bairn
26-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Wagon Wheels circa 1979.

Zazu62
26-01-2014, 11:51 PM
I seem to remember being able to get football stickers in the old west stand mid to late 90's .. I think, was quite young.

Kojock
27-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Erra merry macaroon bar and a wrigleys spearmint chewing gum.

That's how I remember it in a strong Weegie accent.

iainm
27-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Late seventies......

Bacon 'smax' in an orange packet and vinegar ones in a brown packet

Tubes of 'chocolate orange' sweeties bought from the pieman who used to walk round the pitch

The pies weren't that good back then - IMO! too many times the bottom fell to bits when removed from the tin tray and ended up on the terracing. And you were left with a bit of soggy pastry and no money to buy another one!

E10 Rifle
27-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Late seventies......

Tubes of 'chocolate orange' sweeties bought from the pieman who used to walk round the pitch

The pies weren't that good back then - IMO! too many times the bottom fell to bits when removed from the tin tray and ended up on the terracing. And you were left with a bit of soggy pastry and no money to buy another one!

Apart from the use of the word 'terracing'....what's changed? :wink:

greenginger
27-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Anyone remember a right scruffy old boy going round the terracing trying to flog toffee apples from a cardboard box ?

Early 60's before food hygiene nonsense . Survive one of those apples and you are immune to everything.

clerriehibs
27-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Late seventies......

To remember "smax", you must have worked there at the time?

I did; and it was young laddies and lassies doing the selling. Mr Jamieson ran the show at both ER and swynie, but even then that auld jambo used the line "hearts are bigger than hibs" but at least had the grace to also admit he aleays met more hibs than yams.

Fir info, the top income games from catering back then were usually the hibs v hearts/celtc/rangers games.

iainm
27-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Never worked there, but I'm sure I remember buying them from the wee pie hut on the East terracing just next to the fence which seperated it from the cave. But maybe it was from another place........ Long time ago!!

Must have been around 1977/78

stanton_4
27-01-2014, 04:44 PM

"Erra macaroon bars, erra juicy fruit" was my favourite chant from these guys.

Barman Stanton
27-01-2014, 04:51 PM
I remember there used to be a wee gap which meant you could go into the terracing from the cowshed when wee.

WindyMiller
27-01-2014, 04:54 PM

I was once told by a guy that he wouldn't lift me over as I was smelling o' drink.:rolleyes:

hibbybrian
27-01-2014, 05:21 PM
I was once told by a guy that he wouldn't lift me over as I was smelling o' drink.:rolleyes:

events in the past year don't count :greengrin

WindyMiller
27-01-2014, 05:24 PM
events in the past year don't count :greengrin

It would take a big strong guy to lift me over now.

It takes the wife all her strength just to get me off the sofa!

Chump
27-01-2014, 06:36 PM
I remember being on the terrace at Brockville when Sauzee made his debut (1999) and a boy was selling Macaroon Bars in the Hibs end.....went to Somerset Park the following week and the same boys was shouting in the Hibs end but they were more expensive :confused:

Alfred E Newman
27-01-2014, 06:40 PM
"Erra macaroon bars, erra juicy fruit" was my favourite chant from these guys.

Here a Macaroon bars an a " nugget" was another.

poolman
27-01-2014, 06:59 PM

Ah wis 27 :greengrin

Speedway
27-01-2014, 08:24 PM
It would take a big strong guy to lift me over now.

It takes the wife all her strength just to get me off the sofa!

I'm glad you wrote 'the sofa' at the end of that.

Aldo
27-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Macaroon bars...........get yer macaroon bars here. Dunno if it was just the one guy going around the terraces or a squad, but they/he went around only selling these when i was a lad. Remember this? This was around the early 80s. I wonder what they sold around the ground in even earlier times.

Tab macroon tab macroon. Boy in the east in the 80's. Yip remember it well.

Hibernia Na Eir
27-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Wagon Wheels circa 1979.

glory days! fond memories of the Wagon Wheels around that time :-)

heretoday
27-01-2014, 09:21 PM
There'd be some guy in a mac wandering about the terrace in the 2nd half going:

"All the half-times and racing REEEsults!"

Jonnyboy
27-01-2014, 10:56 PM
A weel kent face who posts mainly on the Bounce was one of those who sold macaroon bars etc at ER.

ManBearPig
28-01-2014, 07:50 AM
I the nineties you could get soor plooms green and white popcorn and decemt pies with HFC written in bottom of tin. (Weird things you remember.)

And you could get spl panini stickers!

heretoday
28-01-2014, 12:50 PM
"Macaroons and the spearmint!"

The stadium smelt of beer, pish, Hai Karate after-shave and spearmint.......

Carheenlea
02-02-2014, 05:56 PM
When I started to get taken along in the 70's, all the guys in our company bought 'Golden Goal' tickets. Each ticket revealed a time, and whoever had the time of the first goal won the prize. Can't remember anyone winning, or indeed what the size of the pot was.

ancient hibee
02-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Of course lots brought in their carry oots so we could have Martini Cocktails on the terracing.I regret to say that sometimes there was a shortage of cherries.

trev the hat
02-02-2014, 09:06 PM
I remember there used to be a wee gap which meant you could go into the terracing from the cowshed when wee.

The wee gap, that's quality & brings back memories. Good shout !!
Ps if anyone remembers dreeping the old centre stand south end the shock waves through the shins were only just survivable, now that was a dreep, when you were brassick :-) & wanting in.

tamig
02-02-2014, 09:33 PM
"20p the macaroon and the chewing gu-um!" is the chant I remember from the Weegie guy who used to stroll round the East with the cardboard box dangling in front of him in the 80s.

I still don't know if it was 20p for the package :confused:

Alfred E Newman
02-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Fag smoke billowing out the ground under the floodlights. Men in suits and ties and overcoats.