PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths to Celtic?

Pages : [1] 2

Jim44
25-01-2014, 09:31 AM
As was strongly rumoured recently, Lennon could make a move for LG for a reported fee of £1.5M. According to the Scotsman, when asked if Griffiths was among his potential targets, he replied. "I can't say that but he is highly thought of, put it that way." A move for him might depend on how other pursuits, including a move for Snodgrass, pan out. Scraping the barrel, eh Neil? A year ago you said he wasn't good enough for Celtic.

CRAZYHIBBY
25-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Another product of their excellent hibernian scouting club

Deansy
25-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Silly laddie if he goes to them - they'll just 'Riordan' him, same as they've always done with all the other promising Scottish-Players they sign

sambajustice
25-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Silly laddie if he goes to them - they'll just 'Riordan' him, same as they've always done with all the other promising Scottish-Players they sign

Yeah, Scott Brown sank without trace and Charlie Mulgrew has been hopeless for them!

Inch Hibs
25-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Yeah, Scott Brown sank without trace and Charlie Mulgrew has been hopeless for them!

Is that the same mulgrew they released?

poolman
25-01-2014, 10:25 AM
How many forwards is that horrible man going to sign

GreenCastle
25-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Heard a strong rumour yesterday that LG will sign for Celtic

Weir7
25-01-2014, 10:30 AM

Money talks. Gambling isn't cheap.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-01-2014, 10:35 AM
The secret of all decent comedy - timing!

TomoHFC
25-01-2014, 11:33 AM
'Griffiths will never be in the Celtic team' Neil Lennon May 2013

Aldo
25-01-2014, 11:35 AM
'Griffiths will never be in the Celtic team' Neil Lennon May 2013

That was a long time ago. Mind games and all that. Lennon knew how good he'd been playing. Not surprised he's interested.

Mikey
25-01-2014, 11:36 AM
He's been on the verge of signing for them for weeks.

So why hasn't it happened yet?.............

Sylar
25-01-2014, 11:38 AM
On one hand, he'd be going to one of the 2 clubs renowned for sinking Scottish talent by buying them and not playing them. He'd find it incredibly challenging to get into the first team when you look at the number of decent strikers they have in their squad.

On the other hand, he's a quality young player himself and I've no doubt he has the ability to break into their team - the lure of being close to family and Champions League football is also a big one compared to his current position.

Would be absolutely horrible to see him in those heinous hoops.

jacomo
25-01-2014, 11:56 AM

Could be all sorts of reasons. January transfers are notoriously tricky.

I'm resigned to the fact that this is a good move for LG as a professional footballer. He gets to move back home on a lucrative contract, and put himself in contention for a place in the Scotland team.

I really don't think he'll struggle to get into the team, especially once Samaras departs.

Jones28
25-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Griffiths will walk into that Celtic team.

Heisenberg
25-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Aston Villa have apparently made an enquiry about him.

snooky
25-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Griffiths to Celtic?

F*****g booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (..hoo)

Leishy1995
25-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Aston Villa have apparently made an enquiry about him.

Just seen that. Would rather he played in a team like Villa or Swansea than Celtic but I know he loves his kids and will want to be near them.

weonlywon6-2
25-01-2014, 01:45 PM

i have feeling he will score for fun if he goes to celtic,sadly

weonlywon6-2
25-01-2014, 01:47 PM

he cant get a child minder to allow him to go for an interview

Jones28
25-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Nahh, they need a striker who will score for fun in the SPL, namely LG. With experience I think he will be a world class player for them.

Inch Hibs
25-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Nahh, they a striker who will score for fun in the SPL, namely LG. Withe experience I think he will be a world class player for them.

Riordan also went for nothing and Celtic had very good strikers at the time. They won't spend cash on Super Leigh and not play him - especially when they other strikers are David Van Zanten.

Jones28
25-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Riordan also went for nothing and Celtic had very good strikers at the time. They won't spend cash on Super Leigh and not play him - especially when they other strikers are David Van Zanten.

Yepp. £1.25 million is a lot of dosh to keep a seat warm

Ozyhibby
25-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Wherever he ends up, you have to wonder at how stupid the lad is to have signed an extended deal at wolves just weeks ago. It is significantly holding back his chances of a move now.

Jones28
25-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Wherever he ends up, you have to wonder at how stupid the lad is to have signed an extended deal at wolves just weeks ago. It is significantly holding back his chances of a move now.

Wolves know he is a saleable asset, they'll take a million for him which is peanuts in England. He might be a bit of a gamble but he can score goals, as proven numerous times with us.

Ozyhibby
25-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Wolves know he is a saleable asset, they'll take a million for him which is peanuts in England. He might be a bit of a gamble but he can score goals, as proven numerous times with us.

His ability is beyond doubt. He'll be a great buy for whoever gets him. However, his new deal has reduced the number of clubs that can afford him.

Inch Hibs
25-01-2014, 02:35 PM

£££££&

Mikey
25-01-2014, 02:50 PM
he cant get a child minder to allow him to go for an interview

All he needs to do is stick them in the car, drive up, and someone will look after the lot for a pound.

He might even get a good deal on some sports socks while he's there.

Aldo
25-01-2014, 02:54 PM
All he needs to do is stick them in the car, drive up, and someone will look after the lot for a pound. He might even get a good deal on some sports socks while he's there.

He'll need a mini bus will he no. O and a driving licence to start with

hibbymick
25-01-2014, 03:08 PM
On one hand, he'd be going to one of the 2 clubs renowned for sinking Scottish talent by buying them and not playing them. He'd find it incredibly challenging to get into the first team when you look at the number of decent strikers they have in their squad.

On the other hand, he's a quality young player himself and I've no doubt he has the ability to break into their team - the lure of being close to family and Champions League football is also a big one compared to his current position.

Would be absolutely horrible to see him in those heinous hoops.

And he can expect to get treated like any other old firm player when he plays against us.

erin go bragh
25-01-2014, 03:10 PM
All he needs to do is stick them in the car, drive up, and someone will look after the lot for a pound.

He might even get a good deal on some sports socks while he's there.

Last time i took the car to ipox it nearly cost me £2 ( guy in his 40s with skin like a crocodile ) i thought he said " wash your car big man " rather than watch your car . When i got out my old reg plates and started to put them on top of my hfc private reg , he gave me my £2 back saying "theres no charge for a ringer big man "

Ggtth

Carheenlea
25-01-2014, 03:21 PM
If Leigh Griffiths is not going to be playing for Hibs, I honestly couldn't care less who else he plays for. Loved him in a Hibs shirt mind, but we need to back those that play for us now rather than worry about where Leigh is going to be filling his wheelbarrow full of cash every week.

down-the-slope
25-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Wherever he ends up, you have to wonder at how stupid the lad is to have signed an extended deal at wolves just weeks ago. It is significantly holding back his chances of a move now.they had an option on him so he signed a new deal to get more dosh rather than having to stay on old deal....surely that's obvious / sensible

GoldenEagle
25-01-2014, 03:27 PM
they had an option on him so he signed a new deal to get more dosh rather than having to stay on old deal....surely that's obvious / sensible

Not sure that's right, sure they exercised a years option which would've taken him up to June 2014. I'm positive he signed a new 3 year deal within the last 6 months.

Aldo
25-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Not sure that's right, sure they exercised a years option which would've taken him up to June 2014. I'm positive he signed a new 3 year deal within the last 6 months.

He signed a new contract keeping him at the club until 2015 with the option of a further year.

sleeping giant
25-01-2014, 03:51 PM
I just have a funny feeling he's going to end up with us on loan again .

No sources , not heard anything , just a feeling.:flag:

silverhibee
25-01-2014, 04:35 PM
I just have a funny feeling he's going to end up with us on loan again .

No sources , not heard anything , just a feeling.:flag:

Not a hope in hell will Wolves let him go out on loan, £1m+ will be the only way any team get Sparky.

CallumLaidlaw
25-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Villa interested as well now apparently

Billy Whizz
25-01-2014, 05:00 PM
He didn't get on today

3pm
25-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Villa interested as well now apparently

He's won a watch if he ends up there.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2014, 06:38 PM
The thought of seeing him turning up at Easter Road one day wearing a Celtic strip makes me feel physically sick.

I really hope this doesn't happen.

jimmyboco1875
25-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Good luck to leigh wherever he goes, nobody can deny he has to much talent to play with hibs at this stage of his career but he's guaranteed to be back playing with us one day 😃

Framie
25-01-2014, 08:19 PM
He's won a watch if he ends up there.

I wonder if lambert had him at Livingston

Ronniekirk
26-01-2014, 12:04 AM
He signed a new contract keeping him at the club until 2015 with the option of a further year.

He didn't get off bench today so they didn't feel need to use his talents or risk him getting injured.Dont know ins and outs but they maybe just needed him short term and gave him contract extension so that he could be sold on for bigger fee.how many goals has he scored for them ?Celtic will keep option open in case they can't get someone more suited for European football But one things for sure a talent loke that shouldn't be wasted on the bench. If Aston Vila come in for him thogh then Celtic couldn't match what they would offer

Waxy
26-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Such a great hibby i wouldn't care where he goes except the yams. Although i dislike smeltic as much as any hibby it's only for the money. One day i feel he will be back.

Judas Iscariot
26-01-2014, 08:50 AM
The thought of seeing him turning up at Easter Road one day wearing a Celtic strip makes me feel physically sick.

I really hope this doesn't happen.

You're very easily upset aren't you?!

PeterboroHibee
26-01-2014, 10:06 AM
I personally cant see him going to Celtic, it just doesnt seem to fit. As far as I can tell their fans dont like him, and whether all the stories you hear about him are true or not, there is still that reputation there and I really dont think Lennon will want to deal with that.

Its a bit of a shame it doesnt seem to have worked out for him at Wolves as I think that was almost the perfect situation for him to develop his career - a lower league but at a bigger club, he really should have been one of the stand out players. I think if he goes to a club like Swansea or Villa theres a huge risk he ends up following the same career path as someone like Goodwillie.

Sylar
26-01-2014, 10:09 AM
I wonder if lambert had him at Livingston

Maybe he seen him in the youth team but LG never played for him.

Lambert resigned in February 2006 and Griffiths made his full debut in December of the same year.

Frazerbob
26-01-2014, 01:53 PM
James McPake as good as said it's a done deal just now on Sky.

EdinMike
27-01-2014, 01:49 PM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25914535

Maybe not such a done deal..

BH Hibs
27-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Don't get the big hoohah about him signing for Celtc. Pat Stanton played for them and he is still our King Paddy. :flag:

Waxy
27-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Celtic ALWAYS use their money to buy Hibs players that mean alot to the fans. It's like they have to try and show who the big team is. Jealousy. Anyone who ever plays for celtic are only there for the cash. They must hate that.

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Don't get the big hoohah about him signing for Celtc. Pat Stanton played for them and he is still our King Paddy. :flag:

I know what you mean. I don't really find myself getting bothered at all about the prospect of him going there. Generally accept that if a player does well with us there is a good chance he'll end up at one of the artists formerly known as the old firm at some stage.

Would be more bothered if he was going to Aberdeen or Dundee United or someone like that.

Don't really see Celtic as our rivals. They play in our league but in football terms they are well out of our league.

theonlywayisup
27-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Jackett said Griffiths had been informed and had "made public his fondness for Celtic". :grr:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25914535

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Celtic ALWAYS use their money to buy Hibs players that mean alot to the fans. It's like they have to try and show who the big team is. Jealousy. Anyone who ever plays for celtic are only there for the cash. They must hate that.

Not true, I have heard there are a lot of Celtic supporters out there and some of them are pro-footballers. Doubt Celtic fans really care if their players are only there for the cash as long as they are winning.

Jim44
27-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Jackett said Griffiths had been informed and had "made public his fondness for Celtic". :grr:

Paper talk. Possibly is true, tho', as Griffiths would be mad to turn them down and is obliged to turn the 'charm' on for their supporters. I think it will be a last minute deal as Celtic will have made a derisory offer and will up it till, at the last minute, they'll get him for around £1M.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Talk of a swap deal, money + Kayal.

CraigHibee
27-01-2014, 02:57 PM

his "fondness" for a bumper wage?

NorthNorfolkHFC
27-01-2014, 03:35 PM
He speaks of love for Hibs which I believe to be true.

Thing is, he could have canned going back to Wolves, not signed their deal and came to us. He would still get a move somewhere if he'd continued to perform the way he was.

Tonez
27-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Sky sports radio app saying Celtic have failed with a bid to sign him.

HH81
27-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Was hoping he would play at Oldham tomorrow as fancied going along. Dont think that will happen now.

.Sean.
27-01-2014, 04:31 PM
'Fondness for Celtic' :confused:

He surely cant can't be as big a Hibee as he likes to make out if that's the case. If he signs for them he'll go way down in my estimations.

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 04:32 PM
'Fondness for Celtic' :confused:

He surely cant can't be as big a Hibee as he likes to make out. If he signs for them he'll go down in my estimations.

He's indicated he is fond of the chance to join Celtic.

Why? He will be closer to home, on more money playing for the best side in the land enhance his Scotland chances and playing champions league football. He would be stupid not to consider it.

chrisski33
27-01-2014, 04:38 PM
I reckon the option of more money amd being closer to his kids and playing in the champions league is his fondness of celtic im sure jackett has miscommunicated it although it got my back up when heard him say it on radio!

Pretty Boy
27-01-2014, 05:08 PM
If Celtc have made a bid, even though the 1st one was rejected, then it's only a matter of time before it happens.

Be horrible seeing him in that ****ing disgusting shirt doing the obligatory 'every player dreams of playing for a club like Celtic' interview.

weonlywon6-2
27-01-2014, 05:16 PM
He'll need a mini bus will he no. O and a driving licence to start with

dont think you need a licence if you live in glasgow??

Alfred E Newman
27-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Heard McPake saying yesterday that he would "love" to see Griffiths sign for Celtic.
wtf!!!
I will hate seeing him in a Celtic shirt and I would imagine the vast majority of Hibs supporters will feel the same.

Jim44
27-01-2014, 05:30 PM
It's certain to happen before the close of the window, but it's not going down well over on Kerrydale Street. They are fuming and see him a.) as a source of problems and b.) not good enough. I would think he'll get the odd league game when pushed through injuries but I don't think he'll sniff a squad place in Europe. If he behaves himself he'll be laughing his way to the bank.

Waxy
If i wanted to be a bit unkind i'd say "as much as i'm a leigh fan he's not a champions league player" and if this is who celtic are signing now then it'll be years till they make the group stage again.
But i don't want to be unkind.So i wont say it.

NAE NOOKIE
I dont care what any English manager or radio station has to say LG is a Hibby through and through ... I cant think of him any other way.

FWIW ........... I'm begging you Leigh ......... please please dont join them !!!

silverhibee
27-01-2014, 05:32 PM
If Celtc have made a bid, even though the 1st one was rejected, then it's only a matter of time before it happens.

Be horrible seeing him in that ****ing disgusting shirt doing the obligatory 'every player dreams of playing for a club like Celtic' interview.

Lennon saying Griffiths will become a big player for celtc, good luck to him.

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 05:32 PM
4 year deal radio Clyde reporting.

Bristolhibby
27-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Well if every transgression is big news when he was at Hibs and Wolves. He'll enjoy the scrutiny of the OF media.

J

andy1875
27-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Sparky is a dyed in the wool Hibby and was fantastic for us but he has sadly outgrown us financially at the moment.

I'd imagine max we could give him would be what, £3k a week.

Celtic will probably give him minimum of £10k a week, title after title, Scottish Cups, Champions League games, not to mention all the commercial benefits of sponsorship that brings for playing for a club of that size.

I for one will never slate the guy for choosing to go there and set himself up for life, as much as I would rather it was in our green.

Maybe someday in future he'll be back but forget it anytime soon.

SurferRosa
27-01-2014, 05:35 PM
It`ll turn my guts to see him wrapped up in that manky strip. The bit that stings is that he`d be going there to warm the bench. You can guarantee that the only time he`ll get to start for them is when they play us.

Billy Whizz
27-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Wherever he goes he needs to play regularly. Not sure he'll play every week at Celtic though

Ronniekirk
27-01-2014, 05:37 PM
I dont care what any English manager or radio station has to say LG is a Hibby through and through ... I cant think of him any other way.

FWIW ........... I'm begging you Leigh ......... please please dont join them !!!

Wasting your time he is happy to go and wolves will get decent fee and sell on clause. Could it of been us .? Remember he was linked with us when yogi was boss and he said he worked with him as a youngster and he was one of the few young players he couldn't control so he was nt interested .Any one else remember this .

tamig
27-01-2014, 05:39 PM
It`ll turn my guts to see him wrapped up in that manky strip. The bit that stings is that he`d be going there to warm the bench. You can guarantee that the only time he`ll get to start for them is when they play us.

Why would he be going to warm the bench then? If he signs for them he'll be a first pick.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2014, 05:42 PM
You're very easily upset aren't you?!

Not really.

I loved Leigh Griffiths whilst he was with us and I despise Celtic.

Seeing a player I loved, playing against us for a club I despise will be hard to stomach

Not sure what's difficult to understand about that.

Gustavo Fring
27-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Why would he be going to warm the bench then? If he signs for them he'll be a first pick.

i doubt he will be 1st pick and i doubt he'll get many minutes on the pitch in their CL games either, the sellick fans are already callin him riordan2 and he's no even signed yet

this will be a disaster for him football wise , he'll make decent cash though and thats what he wants at the end of the day

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Not really.

I loved Leigh Griffiths whilst he was with us and I despise Celtic.

Seeing a player I loved, playing against us for a club I despise will be hard to stomach

Not sure what's difficult to understand about that.

I don't know why but with Super Leigh it's different with me. I'm excited to see a hibee from magdeline strutting his stuff against Europes elite in the champions league.

Aye it will be ***** with him playing against us but I'm happy for the guy he's moving to a massive club close to home.

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 05:46 PM
i doubt he will be 1st pick and i doubt he'll get many minutes on the pitch in their CL games either, the sellick fans are already callin him riordan2 and he's no even signed yet

this will be a disaster for him football wise , he'll make decent cash though and thats what he wants at the end of the day

Footballer are ambitious. There's absolutely no way at all Leigh will be thinking he will be moving to sit on the bench!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 05:48 PM
I will be fuming if he goes to Celtic only to sit on the bench like Riordan did.

Alfred E Newman
27-01-2014, 05:49 PM

No way will he be a first pick. Yet another signed because they have money to burn and he is available .
We may be able to pick up a bargain in a year or so.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2014, 05:50 PM
I don't know why but with Super Leigh it's different with me. I'm excited to see a hibee from magdeline strutting his stuff against Europes elite in the champions league.

Aye it will be ***** with him playing against us but I'm happy for the guy he's moving to a massive club close to home.

You're entitled to your opinion.

I disagree. I want him to be nowhere near Parkhead.

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 05:50 PM

Fair dos. Better than sitting on the bench in Wolves IMO.

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Leigh was fantastic for us (and I believe he'll be fantastic for Celtic).

Gutted that he is going there but it's a great move for him. Hope we give him a good reception when he returns to ER as a Celtic player.

Hibs Till We Die (and I know Leigh feels the same). :not worth

:flag:

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2014, 05:52 PM

None of us want him there - but the reality is that he is going! :boo hoo:

givescotlandfreedom
27-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Footballer are ambitious. There's absolutely no way at all Leigh will be thinking he will be moving to sit on the bench!

I wouldn't say going to them is much ambition.

Aldo
27-01-2014, 06:00 PM
dont think you need a licence if you live in glasgow??

Ha ha suppose your right!!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
I see a lot of Celtic fans dont want him and would rather have Stevie May.

Kaiserclem
I rate Leigh Griffiths extremely high, feel that given the chance and time to settle in a Villa, Swansea etc. down south then he will score many goals. He has a talent which I really do feel would be wasted playing for Celtic or us at this stage in his career. If he has confidence in his ability either take a move elsewhere down South, or stay at Wolves and progress in championship next year. Wen he starts banging them in as he is doing just now his price and wages will go through the roof and set him and his kids up for life. He's shown Scotland is easy for him, challenge yourself Leigh and don't take the easy option of. Celtic.

archiebald
27-01-2014, 06:04 PM
SSN just said Celtic have offered 250,000

tamig
27-01-2014, 06:06 PM
No way will he be a first pick. Yet another signed because they have money to burn and he is available .
We may be able to pick up a bargain in a year or so.

He won't be another Riordan. Don't know why you think he won't be a first pick. However, we can agree to disagree.

SaulGoodman
27-01-2014, 06:09 PM

Chancing unwashed *****.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Chancing unwashed *****.

Agreed.

Shocking from Wolves, the were going to let us have him for 100K less than that but Rod wouldn't stump up. FACT.

Chancing barstewards.

silverhibee
27-01-2014, 06:11 PM

Seemingly that is the second bid, Wolves knocked back the first bid of £150k

Rod is keeking himself. :greengrin

Wolves will want £1m+ for Sparky.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2014, 06:14 PM

That is shocking if that's anywhere near accurate.

He's worth much more than that.

Cabbage East
27-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Quarter of a million. Scaffy weegie mutants.

That shows how much they think of him.

Jim44
27-01-2014, 06:16 PM
He won't be another Riordan. Don't know why you think he won't be a first pick. However, we can agree to disagree.

Celtic have been saying for ages that they need and want recognised, proven strikers for their European campaigns but couldn't afford to pay what the other clubs, they hope to emulate, are paying. They're looking to pay £250K for one :rotflmao: ......................... Griffiths comes nowhere near what they need and want. He'll be a fringe league squad player at best.

Billy Whizz
27-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Quarter of a million. Scaffy weegie mutants.

That shows how much they think of him.

Is Kayal to Wolves not part of the deal?

NOLA
27-01-2014, 06:25 PM
sparky would fit right in at parkhead IMO he would score a barrowload of goals and help them win the league each year (not too hard even without him)
however i dont feel hes the right type of player for them if they want to compete in europe. good luck to him if he does end up there seeing as they are the only scottish club that can afford a transfer fee and his wages.

Cabbage East
27-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Is Kayal to Wolves not part of the deal?

Jesus, surely not. Kayal wanting to go to Wolves and Celtic putting in the money? No chance!

Wighty76
27-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Pretty gutted but not surprised. Same old story. I would have loved to see him play under TB.

mca
27-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Pretty Sure the Press will have a field day with sparky.. maybe the Daily-Ranger will pay the transfer fee themselves :wink:

SurferRosa
27-01-2014, 06:55 PM

Because that`s where i see him spending most of his time. Celtic will be back in the transfer market for real in the summer. I`m willing to suggest the first thing they`ll be after are proven strikers who`ve played at a much higher level than Leigh.

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't say going to them is much ambition.

If your from Magdeline and your previous clubs are Livi an Dundee as well as playing for your Heros it's pretty ambitious :)

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 06:57 PM
£500k will secure the deal.

Heisenberg
27-01-2014, 06:57 PM
I'll be very disappointed if he comes out with the usual "I've always dreamed of playing for the hoops" line when he signs. He'll struggle to deal with the rivalry too IMO.

TheFamous1875
27-01-2014, 06:59 PM
£500k will secure the deal.

Can't we intervene with £600k? SURELY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Inch Hibs
27-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Can't we intervene with £600k? SURELY

Wouldn't be able to compete with wages.

Ronniekirk
27-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Celtic have been saying for ages that they need and want recognised, proven strikers for their European campaigns but couldn't afford to pay what the other clubs, they hope to emulate, are paying. They're looking to pay £250K for one :rotflmao: ......................... Griffiths comes nowhere near what they need and want. He'll be a fringe league squad player at best.

He isnnt being bought for Europe he is proven goal scorer with a great free kick who also works hard .he will score goals in our league and for Under £ 500 ,O00 he is a steal .

TheFamous1875
27-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Wouldn't be able to compete with wages.

It was reported before the end of last season that should he sign he would be our highest earner, I think within the region of £4.5 grand per week? I'm not sure, but apparently he was more than happy with the deal to play for Hibs - anything around that for kicking a ball is not to be scoffed at. You could secure your family on that. The money football players make at clubs down south and at Celtic in the grand scheme of things is disgusting.

It's ok of me to say, of course, as a fan of a club who get beat to the post by a big beast, that it "shouldnae be about money!"

It's about greed, really.

TheFamous1875
27-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Also, in football finance, £250,000 from a 'huge' clubs like Celtic is a ****ing slap in the face for a player of Leigh's calibre.

How much did we bid for him in the summer? Dinnae say "£150k FACT!" :greengrin:

SunshineOnLeith
27-01-2014, 07:25 PM
We've got to push the boat out as far as we can to make a competing bid, at least to keep Celtic honest and make sure they pay full whack for him.

I'll be gutted if he ends up there.

SaulGoodman
27-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Also, in football finance, £250,000 from a 'huge' clubs like Celtic is a ****ing slap in the face for a player of Leigh's calibre.

How much did we bid for him in the summer? Dinnae say "£150k FACT!" :greengrin:

£4.75 and some Coffee Revels because Rod doesn't like those ones.

Squealing pig
27-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Good luck to the laddie, will score goals for fun in that team, hattrick against heart in the making

jdships
27-01-2014, 07:34 PM
sparky would fit right in at parkhead IMO he would score a barrowload of goals and help them win the league each year (not too hard even without him)
however i dont feel hes the right type of player for them if they want to compete in europe. good luck to him if he does end up there seeing as they are the only scottish club that can afford a transfer fee and his wages.

Much as it grieves me I must agree with you .
Great player in our little league but yet to prove himself at the very top
For me the "Jury's still out" on that .
Hope I am proved wrong :greengrin

I would like to see him prove himself at Championship level and then move on to EPL but if he does move to Celtic good luck to the lad !!!

Vini1875
27-01-2014, 08:08 PM
£250K quoted and repeated until it becomes a Hibs.net fact. I haven't read anywhere how much is on offer. If that was the figure with £5k wages, Hibs could match that. However I think the figure Wolves would want is considerably more.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2014, 08:17 PM
We've got to push the boat out as far as we can to make a competing bid, at least to keep Celtic honest and make sure they pay full whack for him.

I'll be gutted if he ends up there.

He won't be back with us any time soon, I'm afraid.

IWasThere2016
27-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Seemingly that is the second bid, Wolves knocked back the first bid of £150k

Rod is keeking himself. :greengrin

Wolves will want £1m+ for Sparky.

Want and get ain't the same. They won't get £1m IMHO.

hibees 7062
28-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Inside The SPFL ‏@AgentScotland2 hrs (http://www.hibs.net/AgentScotland/status/428255274705899520)@theredfinal (http://www.hibs.net/theredfinal) @scotzine_editor (http://www.hibs.net/scotzine_editor) it was a stupid statement from Lennon, he made a very poor & classless statement to emphasis his initial point

nonshinyfinish
29-01-2014, 06:38 AM
First ever in-the-know post: my friend was travelling from Oxford to Glasgow on Monday, and Sparky got on the train at Wolverhampton.

Some credibility is lost since this news was delivered by email rather than the traditional text message, but there you go.

matty_f
29-01-2014, 06:43 AM
Inside The SPFL ‏@AgentScotland2 hrs (http://www.hibs.net/AgentScotland/status/428255274705899520)@theredfinal (http://www.hibs.net/theredfinal) @scotzine_editor (http://www.hibs.net/scotzine_editor) it was a stupid statement from Lennon, he made a very poor & classless statement to emphasis his initial point

Give us less context to that statement!

3pm
29-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Give us less context to that statement!

I took it to be in relation to Lennon's 'Griffiths wouldn't get a game for Celtic' statement from last year.

spike220
29-01-2014, 07:01 AM
First ever in-the-know post: my friend was travelling from Oxford to Glasgow on Monday, and Sparky got on the train at Wolverhampton.

Some credibility is lost since this news was delivered by email rather than the traditional text message, but there you go.

Well that sounds like the death Knell!!!

TheFamous1875
29-01-2014, 07:03 AM

Was he not on the bench for Wolves last night? Did he get off in Glasgow? Still not good news :(

nonshinyfinish
29-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Was he not on the bench for Wolves last night? Did he get off in Glasgow? Still not good news :(

I've asked.

The only thing we know for sure is that he doesn't get off at Haymarket. :wink:

Billy Whizz
29-01-2014, 07:16 AM
I've asked.

The only thing we know for sure is that he doesn't get off at Haymarket. :wink:

You would have thought it was quicker to fly to Glasgow, unless Griffiths doesn't like flying

Brightside
29-01-2014, 07:31 AM
You would have thought it was quicker to fly to Glasgow, unless Griffiths doesn't like flying

He was 100% on the bench for Wolves last night.

Billy Whizz
29-01-2014, 07:36 AM
He was 100% on the bench for Wolves last night.

Did he get on

matty_f
29-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Did he get on

They never fell out, put it that way.

Lucius Apuleius
29-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Not sure why people are slagging down a football strip that we have in a poster on the side of the FF stand. Personally I think Hibs should register it one year as our strip just to wind these mankhy tramps up.

weonlywon6-2
29-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Not sure why people are slagging down a football strip that we have in a poster on the side of the FF stand. Personally I think Hibs should register it one year as our strip just to wind these mankhy tramps up.

i think ive missed a thread somewhere ???

marti1875
29-01-2014, 08:34 AM

Eh? i assume i have missed something here? if so, i do apologise as i am not in the country right now but?? :confused:

spike220
29-01-2014, 08:35 AM
I am sure I read somewhere that Uncle Rod offered Wolves 500k plus add ons and they said no thanks. If anything his stock has grown since then. I would be very surprised if he goes for less than 1m.

If he does go, what does that mean for stokes?? They are very similar kind of players, no?

IWasThere2016
29-01-2014, 09:11 AM
I am sure I read somewhere that Uncle Rod offered Wolves 500k plus add ons and they said no thanks. If anything his stock has grown since then. I would be very surprised if he goes for less than 1m.

If he does go, what does that mean for stokes?? They are very similar kind of players, no?

Buyers' market.

He wants to leave.

Cellic have no need to buy - they have won the League, are out of Europe, and the Cup will be a formality should they play to form.

They won't offer Wolves £1m IMHO.

Pretty Boy
29-01-2014, 09:14 AM
i think ive missed a thread somewhere ???

I slagged the strip earlier in the thread. Meant what the strip stood for as opposed to the actual strip itself though (although hoops are more suited to rugby than football imo!).

Lucius Apuleius
29-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Eh? i assume i have missed something here? if so, i do apologise as i am not in the country right now but?? :confused:

I slagged the strip earlier in the thread. Meant what the strip stood for as opposed to the actual strip itself though (although hoops are more suited to rugby than football imo!).

Not just you PB. A couple have done so. Personally I don't like what it represents at the minute either but I don't think we should lose sight of the fact it was ours.

Alex Trager
29-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Had a second bid rejected

Ronniekirk
29-01-2014, 10:54 AM

Stokes doesn't work as hard as Leigh , and Leigh scored more consistently for us than stokes did for Celtic ,so would assume with more chances being created by Celtic Lennon will be hoping for better goal return than stokes is giving him at present .Stokes in turn will need to up his game .

Aldo
29-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Stokes doesn't work as hard as Leigh , and Leigh scored more consistently for us than stokes did for Celtic ,so would assume with more chances being created by Celtic Lennon will be hoping for better goal return than stokes is giving him at present .Stokes in turn will need to up his game .

Let's not sell Stokes short because at times he is unplayable. He has and still is a very talented player. Both him and Leigh in the same team would be a formidable front pairing.

johnrebus
29-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Not just you PB. A couple have done so. Personally I don't like what it represents at the minute either but I don't think we should lose sight of the fact it was ours.

The Celtic strip has always given me the dry boak and always will.

It's 'boggin.

Looks like like someone at ER agreed over a hundred years ago and changed it.

:greengrin

Ronniekirk
29-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Let's not sell Stokes short because at times he is unplayable. He has and still is a very talented player. Both him and Leigh in the same team would be a formidable front pairing.

He was certainly unplayable in the cup final against us but he doe not reach those levels often enough I don't think for Lennon s likening .

Pretty Boy
29-01-2014, 12:32 PM
I think we should all just agree that Stokes and Leigh can't play together. We should write a group letter to Neil Lennon explaining that we are mightily concerned about how this may affect Celtic in the Champions League and therefore the coefficient of the whole Scottish game. We could kindly offer, as a favour, to take one of them off his hands. Seems fair to me.

JimBHibees
29-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Buyers' market.

He wants to leave.

Cellic have no need to buy - they have won the League, are out of Europe, and the Cup will be a formality should they play to form.

They won't offer Wolves £1m IMHO.

Spot on, Celtc could easily come back in the summer. Wolves will be trying to get a replacement in now as they would probably think his form could dip if not given the move in this window. Bit disappointing as he could have contributed more to a promotion push and then seen how he got on in the Championship next season.

silverhibee
29-01-2014, 12:44 PM
I think we should all just agree that Stokes and Leigh can't play together. We should write a group letter to Neil Lennon explaining that we are mightily concerned about how this may affect Celtic in the Champions League and therefore the coefficient of the whole Scottish game. We could kindly offer, as a favour, to take one of them off his hands. Seems fair to me.

Hibs should make a £500k bid for Griffiths, offer him a 4 year contract and give him £4k a week and he gets to play for the club he loves and be even closer to his family, and then we sell him on in 2 years time and make a good profit.

He would want to come to Hibs over celtc surely.

JimBHibees
29-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Hibs should make a £500k bid for Griffiths, offer him a 4 year contract and give him £4k a week and he gets to play for the club he loves and be even closer to his family, and then we sell him on in 2 years time and make a good profit.

4k a week v >10k a week ??

hibsmad
29-01-2014, 01:05 PM

What would the going rate be for a player of Griffiths quality at Celtic? Would it be more than £10k?

I'm not doubting you, just asking.

silverhibee
29-01-2014, 01:09 PM

No way will they be offering that, £6k will be tops for him a week.

And he would be welcome at Hibs, wouldn't surprise me that TGFITW show there displeasure towards the manager tonight regards Griffiths moving to Glasgow as it ain't going down to well with the soapdodgers.

Weststandwanab
29-01-2014, 01:16 PM
4k a week v >10k a week ?? He should be offered the £4k a week plus a percentage of any sell on fee above what Hibs pay for him so the incentive for Leigh would be the higher the transfer fee -(the better a player he is) the higher his golden handshake would be.

jacomo
29-01-2014, 02:20 PM

I think Hibs should definitely have a hoops away top one season. A close replica of the original would do it. Why not?

Ronniekirk
29-01-2014, 03:08 PM

He has played for his boyhood idols so think now the lure isn't so appealing unless TB was being given a war chest by Tom farmer with the remit of challenging Celtic for title but that ain't gonna happen .

Ronniekirk
29-01-2014, 03:09 PM
I think Hibs should definitely have a hoops away top one season. A close replica of the original would do it. Why not?

Everyone will have there own view but not for me .

nonshinyfinish
29-01-2014, 05:11 PM

I've asked.

Radio silence, all day.

Worst source ever.

snooky
29-01-2014, 05:20 PM

:agree:
Come on Sparky, light our fire
Come on Tache, get the kindling oot .

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-01-2014, 05:35 PM
The sad thing is if we were to ever bring out a hooped strip again, we would get absolutely slated! Everyone outside of Leith would say we were copying that manky mob. They wouldn't appreciate, nor care that it was our strip originally.

leither17
29-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Leon Clarke has just agreed to go to wolves from Coventry expect Leigh in Glasgow for fri deadline IMO

Onceinawhile
29-01-2014, 06:07 PM
The sad thing is if we were to ever bring out a hooped strip again, we would get absolutely slated! Everyone outside of Leith would say we were copying that manky mob. They wouldn't appreciate, nor care that it was our strip originally.

Apart from the celtic fans of course. Well if they know their history anyway

leither17
29-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Leon Clarke has just agreed to go to wolves from Coventry expect Leigh in Glasgow for fri deadline IMO

Griff has retweeted it as well

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Looks like he off to Celtic since they have Clarke.

Sergey
29-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Looks like he off to Celtic since they have Clarke.

Is that the striker who scored two for Bury Town last week ?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Is that the striker who scored two for Bury Town last week ?

Nah, played for Coventry.

Sergey
29-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Nah, played for Coventry.

Cheers - I just read that after I posted...

...Note to self - must learn to read full thread before posting!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Cheers - I just read that after I posted...

...Note to self - must learn to read full thread before posting!

:greengrin

nonshinyfinish
29-01-2014, 10:03 PM

Late-night communique tells me that he got off at Glasgow Central.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-01-2014, 10:08 PM

Heard this also, absolutely devastated:boo hoo:

Stax
29-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Defo no one for jumping off at hay market that boy :greengrin

fatbloke
29-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Defo no one for jumping off at hay market that boy :greengrin

:faf::faf:

Andy74
29-01-2014, 10:15 PM

He didn't really want to come to Hibs over Wolves so I doubt it.

Twiglet
29-01-2014, 10:18 PM

Was this on Monday night? As others have said, he was on the bench last night. Would wolves really have let him travel up to Glasgow on Monday evening to go back down on Tuesday to be part of the squad?

nonshinyfinish
29-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Was this on Monday night? As others have said, he was on the bench last night. Would wolves really have let him travel up to Glasgow on Monday evening to go back down on Tuesday to be part of the squad?

It was Monday morning. I've know idea of what Wolves would or wouldn't allow, but my mate has absolutely no reason to make this up.

Swedish hibee
29-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Leigh in the huddle at ER makes me feel sick. Leigh scoring against us at ER makes me want to cry.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Leigh in the huddle at ER makes me feel sick. Leigh scoring against us at ER makes me want to cry.

Same, feel like crying now and he's not even signed yet. He wouldn't celebrate against us if he scored, would he? I hope he returns to us one day, hopefully they don't ruin him!

Sir David Gray
29-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Same, feel like crying now and he's not even signed yet. He wouldn't celebrate against us if he scored, would he? I hope he returns to us one day, hopefully they don't ruin him!

I wouldn't have thought so.

It would be scant consolation for seeing him turning up to Easter Road wearing that manky hooped strip though.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-01-2014, 10:59 PM
Neil Lennon has hinted that Celtic might turn their attention elsewhere after Wolves rejected a bid for Leigh Griffiths.

Wolves turned down an offer from the Scottish champions earlier in the week, but the League One club appear to have prepared for Griffiths' departure after agreeing a deal for Coventry striker Leon Clarke.

But Lennon refused to be drawn on whether the Hoops will make another approach for Griffiths and suggested he could look at alternative targets.

Speaking after the club's 4-0 win over Kilmarnock, he said: "It may do but we will see what tomorrow and Friday brings."

"There is no further movement either way." The fee was rejected so whether we go back again is something we will have to consider over the next couple of days."

"I don't get involved in that (fee), Peter (Lawwell, chief executive) does that side of things but I will speak to him tomorrow and see where we go. "We are looking at other options as well. "

I am not saying the deal is dead by any means but we do have other people in mind, not for that particular position but also for other positions."**

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-01-2014, 11:01 PM
The abuse he is getting from Celtic fans is disgraceful. They don't deserve him. Saying stuff like "go home ya thumb, go home ya thumb, go home ya thumb, go home." Scotland is his home ya manky bassas, Hibs is where he belongs!!!

Sir David Gray
29-01-2014, 11:03 PM
The abuse he is getting from Celtic fans is disgraceful. They don't deserve him. Saying stuff like "go home ya thumb, go home ya thumb, go home ya thumb, go home." Scotland is his home ya manky bassas, Hibs is where he belongs!!!

I'd love for him to "go home". :agree:

hibeeleicester
30-01-2014, 04:22 AM
Celtic have bid for Lee Tomlin again. :agree:

TheFamous1875
30-01-2014, 06:48 AM

I'm sure he begged to go to them in the summer, Peterborough refused, and now they're up for selling him? That'd be good as he was their first choice and it may mean May won't be a threat (as much as I like him and other youth to be playing in Scotland), more importantly, it may mean Sparky will come home at some point untainted after all, and more importantly than that, there's a lot less chance of his career being ruined over the M8.

IWasThere2016
30-01-2014, 08:03 AM

The one or two Smelly Limes I know don't want Leigh. One acutally laughed .. dic khead!

COME HOME SPARKY :flag: YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE LEIGH! :pray:

Ronniekirk
30-01-2014, 08:16 AM
The one or two Smelly Limes I know don't want Leigh. One acutally laughed .. dic khead!

COME HOME SPARKY :flag: YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE LEIGH! :pray:

He should never of signed the new contract extension.If he doesn't get a move this transfer window he will get less game time with wolves unless they get forward players injured or suspended.It annoys me that teams like them can afford to just waste a talent like him.All they were ever interested in was selling him on and making a profit .

The Sea-gull
30-01-2014, 12:45 PM

He's a footballer, a young one at that who won't yet have made his money, he has a complicated family set up with his kids. He'd chose whoever offered him the most money and that would be Celtic.

We should sit tight though and see if we could offer a loan deal again at the 11th hour tomorrow. Wolves might not want to accept what they see as a cut price bid from Celtic and Celtic may just not offer what they want so the alternative may be to reject it and to save them having an unhappy player on their books costing them £s for doing nowt in the latter part of the season, loan him out to someone and get at least some of his wages paid. Up steps the tash.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Ending Griffiths interest?

SurferRosa
31-01-2014, 08:41 AM
He`s at Dungheid at the moment for signing talks according to Sky Sports.

ALF TUPPER
31-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Signed ....according to talk sport. They'll ruin the boy.

At The Edge
31-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Wolves accepted a bid from Celtic according to sky sports, guessing it must be close to the valuation Wolves put on Leigh

J-C
31-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Just seen him on SSN getting out of a car and entering Parkhead :confused:

SlickShoes
31-01-2014, 09:15 AM
I just hope he doesn't do a Riordan, wish him all the best and hope he can win a move to a big club and his development doesn't stagnate at Celtc.

J-C
31-01-2014, 09:20 AM
What amazes me is that last season Lennon basically said he thought Leigh was ***** and not good enough for Celtic, now he wants him. I know Leigh wants to be nearer his kids etc but if that was me I'd tell Lennon exactly where he could shove his offer.

lord bunberry
31-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Gutted doesn't even come close to how I feel about the wee man signing for that mob.

Ryan91
31-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Gutted doesn't even come close to how I feel about the wee man signing for that mob.

Hope he moves on from there pronto, hate to see him back in Scotland and not playing for Hibs

TheFamous1875
31-01-2014, 09:26 AM
I can see his trajectory going:

Boy signs for Celtic, scores goals, gets patted on back. Boy gets hounded with abuse from the blue side, family threats, etc, and still has the perennial from the maroon quarter - form drops, gets into bother on and off the pitch, gets dropped - turns to Neil Lennon who is no help as expected.

Tries to send boy on loan, boy doesn't accept and decides he wants to go home to Hibs. Gets abused by Celtic fans for this.

Battered and bruised boy comes home to Hibs.

More than anything, I don't want to see him going through all that, as it would be horrible for a young guy to have that much pressure on him. Especially one like Sparky, as he's not as equipped to handle such things, hence the hard time he's had thus far.

I can see him back at Hibs, but I don't know if we'll need him, and I don't know if he'll still have that 'Spark'. Hopefully he will. The difference between him and Riordan is I don't think Sparky will stand for being second fiddle to anyone.

CraigHibee
31-01-2014, 09:30 AM
money talks sadly, just brutal that when petrie went down to speak to wolves chairman he said he was not for sale at any price..

Makaveli
31-01-2014, 09:32 AM
I just hope he doesn't do a Riordan, wish him all the best and hope he can win a move to a big club and his development doesn't stagnate at Celtc.

If "doing a Riordan" means failing at Celtic then coming back to Hibs to score goals, there's no better outcome IMO.

I don't care about anyone's career beyond how it relates to Hibs.

Succeeding at a competitor = bad. Failing and coming back = good.

trev the hat
31-01-2014, 09:41 AM
This signing doesn't sit well with any of us, he has his reasons which we respect. He would have been at Wolves or championship for min 2yr anyway. He'll play us 4 times a yr if fit, which won't be easy. Other than that if he takes points of our rivals along the way so be it.

IWasThere2016
31-01-2014, 09:43 AM

He's undergoing his medical now. Wolves have got £1m fae Cellic - well done to them as I thought Cellic would have got him for less

HIBERNIAN-0762
31-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Can't really believe he would sign for any other team than us, expect the usual weegie media pish that "a lot of his family are Celtic fans"

Biggest mistake we ever made was not getting him signed up.

Geo_1875
31-01-2014, 09:47 AM
I hope he's taking a hefty wedge from them.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-01-2014, 09:50 AM
I hope he's taking a hefty wedge from them.

A hefty wedgie? :greengrin

CRAZYHIBBY
31-01-2014, 09:51 AM
3 year deal 7k per week

Vini1875
31-01-2014, 10:00 AM
It's a strange one. The fans don't want him, Lennon didn't rate him. I wonder if it's a Lawell signing, which apparently Riordan was and not really wanted by the manager. They don't need him to win the league, so they might see him as a goal scoring Champions League player. Yet to speak to one celtc fan who wants him.

BTW money and family, from Leigh's point of view this is a good deal. Cancel your twitter account Leigh next season there will be a lot of lower league fans giving you grief.

Ronniekirk
31-01-2014, 10:01 AM
3 year deal 7k per week

If true he has taken a hit .He was repotredly on £10,000 a week at wolves before he signed extension .But they were never interested in him long term.They have done what they set out to do ,thwarted our attempts to sign him to make £850'000 Profit.

Greenworld
31-01-2014, 10:03 AM
3 year deal 7k per week

Was he not on 12k at wolves

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Was he not on 12k at wolves

10k mate.

CRAZYHIBBY
31-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Sorry guys that was me having a guess.......

Scottie
31-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Jumped into bed with the devil :devil:

He's now the same as every other lifelong Hibee that's gone along the M8 to take the loot.

Never mind in a couple of days or weeks there will be a thread on here saying. "Leigh Griffiths How much I want to finish my career with the Hibs". Just like the Scott Brown thread.

Absolutely GUTTED :fuming:

greengnome
31-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Jumped into bed with the devil :devil:

He's now the same as every other lifelong Hibee that's gone along the M8 to take the loot.

Never mind in a couple of days or weeks there will be a thread on here saying. "Leigh Griffiths How much I want to finish my career with the Hibs". Just like the Scott Brown thread.

Absolutely GUTTED :fuming:

I must say that it sticks in my craw that Leigh has signed for the manky mob.... However, deed is done! If indeed he returns one day, I believe the fondness the fans had for him will have waned somewhat.

TheFamous1875
31-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Leigh's now at Lennoxtown according to SSN.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-01-2014, 10:35 AM
@aaliyahclancy: @Leighgriff09 take me to your paradise I want to see your jungle!! Go ahead sparky lad hope all works out today!!!

sambajustice
31-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Can't believe folk are getting wound up about this!

I wouldn't hesitate to sign for Celtic in a heartbeat or Hearts for that matter if they were offering a much bigger wedge than Hibs were. It's business, not personal as the Corleone's would say.

Besides, even if we had shelled out "150k FACT" at whenever it was we were supposed to have done that, he was currently a Hibs player and he'd banged in 15 goals this season, i'm pretty sure he'd still be making the trip along the M8 today and signing for Celtic, its just he's be leaving us instead of Wolves.

TheFamous1875
31-01-2014, 10:48 AM
@aaliyahclancy: @Leighgriff09 take me to your paradise I want to see your jungle!! Go ahead sparky lad hope all works out today!!!

He sounds like a right twat. Him and McPake, total disrespect to the club and the fans.

Of course they're just wishing their mate well, but do it in private. They're publicly demeaning the club imo.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-01-2014, 10:51 AM
He sounds like a right twat. Him and McPake, total disrespect to the club and the fans.

Of course they're just wishing their mate well, but do it in private. They're publicly demeaning the club imo.

Clancy is a roaster. Slagging our style of play yesterday on Twitter. What did McPake say pal?

TheFamous1875
31-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Clancy is a roaster. Slagging our style of player yeatersay om Twitter. What did McPake say pal?

He was a pundit (not a very good one at all if I'm honest) on Sky for the Celtic match, and at the end of the match where we'd just been harshly beaten 4-0 and they asked him about Leigh's move to Celtic and he said (paraphrased) that Celtic are a 'massive club' "I'd love to see Leigh play for Celtic" "who wouldn't want to play for Celtic" practically word-for-word along those lines.

Nae impartiality, nae hesitance, nae words put into his mouth by the other pundits, he just spouted out this sycophantic rubbish, sooking right up their ***** after they'd just rammed us 4-0 at home.

Can't find it online, but I was fuming with this. There's a thread on the bounce about it too.

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?108424-James-McPake-Celtc-SKY-Sports&p=1374792#post1374792

Ronniekirk
31-01-2014, 11:04 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to sign for Celtic in a heartbeat or Hearts for that matter if they were offering a much bigger wedge than Hibs were. It's business, not personal as the Corleone's would say.

Besides, even if we had shelled out "150k FACT" at whenever it was we were supposed to have done that, he was currently a Hibs player and he'd banged in 15 goals this season, i'm pretty sure he'd still be making the trip along the M8 today and signing for Celtic, its just he's be leaving us instead of Wolves.

But then it would be us making the profit on the transfer not wolves :greengrin

At The Edge
31-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Its well known that McPake is a Celtic fan, as are his family, but as far as I'm aware, hes never once said anything bad about Hibs?
He really enjoys being at Hibs and was/is very proud captain of the team

TheFamous1875
31-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Its well known that McPake is a Celtic fan, as are his family, but as far as I'm aware, hes never once said anything bad about Hibs?
He really enjoys being at Hibs and was/is very proud captain of the team

I think he really enjoyed being at Hibs, but hasn't for quite some time. He was a shell of a player that we signed last season.

hibsmad
31-01-2014, 11:24 AM

I didn't realise Hibs and Celtic were his only options.

If that were the case then I would say fair enough. There is no way on this earth that I, as a Hibs fan, would ever want to play for Celtic if there was a club in England willing to pay me a similar wage.

I know he has a million kids up here but surely he didn't have to go there.

As for Clancy and McPake, if they can't hide their enthusiasm for an ex player, who we would have loved to see re-sign, signing for one of our competitors then they can **** right off! Seriously, why is it acceptable for our captain to openly say "who wouldn't want to play for Celtic?"

Can you imagine Gerard in an interview saying "who wouldn't want to play for Man Utd?"

Weststandwanab
31-01-2014, 11:41 AM

Besides, even if we had shelled out "150k FACT" at whenever it was we were supposed to have done that, he was currently a Hibs player and he'd banged in 15 goals this season, i'm pretty sure he'd still be making the trip along the M8 today and signing for Celtic, its just he's be leaving us instead of Wolves. I agree with all of that. The goods news is that because Hibs are not selling him to Celtic today we will not have fan against fan debating the Pro's and Cons of the sale of Griffiths. We will sign Griffiths at some point.

Sir David Gray
31-01-2014, 11:42 AM

I would never sign for Hearts.

Not under any circumstances.

HibeeDaz6270
31-01-2014, 11:54 AM

That is because you are not a professional football player. If you were you would look at things differently. It would be your job/career. And if Hearts , Celtic , Rangers etc offers were to enhance your career or increase your salarly by a large amount then im sure you would. People on here who say they would never sign for Hearts, say this from a supporters view. It would be completely different if in the situation.

SaulGoodman
31-01-2014, 11:55 AM
That is because you are not a professional football player. If you were you would look at things differently. It would be your job/career. And if Hearts , Celtic , Rangers etc offers were to enhance your career or increase your salarly by a large amount then im sure you would. People on here who say they would never sign for Hearts, say this from a supporters view. It would be completely different if in the situation.
Nah, I'd never sign for those *****.

Think Griffiths said the same.

Biggie
31-01-2014, 11:56 AM
a) I would never sign for hearts, rangers or celtic...ever...if I was that good and the old firm were sniffing around, then there would be better options available...
b) No doubt if Griffiths signs for celtc then he'll be up front for the next Scotland team
c) Its a strange signing by them cos he's good, but not good enough to take celtc where they want to be and that's the latter stages of the champions league...

HibeeDaz6270
31-01-2014, 11:58 AM

He has other options though. Everyones different i suppose, point i was making was that it would be different in the situation. More so with celtic etc. Maybe hearts is to much for some people. I play football, and played with senior teams at pro youth level. If Hearts were interested in me then, And i thought they were better i wouldnt hesitate.

Nando™
31-01-2014, 12:00 PM

Really?

What if you had 2 offers on the table. One from Hibs, one from Hearts, same terms from either side, let's say £1,000 p/w. You're a below average SPL player, who would be worse than all the senior players at both clubs.

Do you fulfill the selfish childhood dream of signing for Hibs and taking a bite out of our wage structure? Or do you take one for the team and systematically rob money from the tramps across the road, all the while being a pretty crap player?

I'd sign for Hearts every time.

truehibernian
31-01-2014, 12:16 PM

You sure ? If you had the desire and drive to be a footballer would you not sign for a club offering the chance to 'live your dream' ?

I trained/played with Hearts in a youth tournament as a early teenager but I'm utterly in love with Hibs - wouldn't have stopped my love for Hibs either (nor did it). I wanted to be a pro footballer, that was all I thought about morning, noon and night until you couldn't see the goalposts due to darkness.

Good luck to Leigh - he is a Hibee and will always be a Hibee - just so happens he is signing for a bigger club who offer a Euro stage and more cash for him. He owes Hibs nothing, he gave us 2 seasons of brilliant football and cherished moments in such a short space of time.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Kills me every time SSN show him getting out the car ar Lennoxtown!

TheFamous1875
31-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Just saw him at Lennoxtown, all that's needed is a medical, hope he fails it (nothing bad, obviously) and they say no deal!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Just saw him at Lennoxtown, all that's needed is a medical, hope he fails it (nothing bad, obviously) and they say no deal!

Just saw it. :boo hoo::boo hoo:

SteveHFC
31-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Don't do this Leigh :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

GreenCastle
31-01-2014, 12:22 PM
3.5 year deal.

Few years and him and Scott Brown will be back playing for Hibs.

I think he will score goals for fun at Celtic - we all know he's a Hibs die hard like Deek - but reality is the money is needed for his future.

While I am not exactly happy he's going to Celtic - would have been worse if he left us to go direct to them. The main reason he's going - regular football...closer to family/ home ......plus money is similar to what he was on at Wolves.

jacomo
31-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Really?

What if you had 2 offers on the table. One from Hibs, one from Hearts, same terms from either side, let's say £1,000 p/w. You're a below average SPL player, who would be worse than all the senior players at both clubs.

Do you fulfill the selfish childhood dream of signing for Hibs and taking a bite out of our wage structure? Or do you take one for the team and systematically rob money from the tramps across the road, all the while being a pretty crap player?

It's much more common for pro footballers to have a massively inflated sense of their own worth, rather than recognise they are useless.

Therefore you would sign for Hibs, because you'd just *know* you'd be able to force yourself into the team, become a club legend, and possibly earn a world record transfer to Real Madrid.

The Sea-gull
31-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Good post. I don't want to see LG playing for anyone else in Scotland but I undertsand why it has happened and am not surprised by it, probably why I am not all that bothered by it.

Also, this was speculated a while back and few posters got a wee bit of a tough time for suggesting it and a further tough time when it did not happen immediately despite everyone surely being aware that it is very common for deals like this to happen at the end of a transfer window.

That's the way some are on here though, if they don't like a rumour then they just say it's not true and it's not happening. This one wasn't even the most far fetched rumour you were ever going to hear and it had a good chance of being true.

jacomo
31-01-2014, 12:26 PM
I can see his trajectory going:

Boy signs for Celtic, scores goals, gets patted on back. Boy gets hounded with abuse from the blue side, family threats, etc, and still has the perennial from the maroon quarter - form drops, gets into bother on and off the pitch, gets dropped - turns to Neil Lennon who is no help as expected.

Tries to send boy on loan, boy doesn't accept and decides he wants to go home to Hibs. Gets abused by Celtic fans for this.

Battered and bruised boy comes home to Hibs.

More than anything, I don't want to see him going through all that, as it would be horrible for a young guy to have that much pressure on him. Especially one like Sparky, as he's not as equipped to handle such things, hence the hard time he's had thus far.

I can see him back at Hibs, but I don't know if we'll need him, and I don't know if he'll still have that 'Spark'. Hopefully he will. The difference between him and Riordan is I don't think Sparky will stand for being second fiddle to anyone.

This is possible. He seemed to get pretty easily riled by Jambos when out and about, and now he's added a whole bunch of bitter Huns to his haters list.

I can understand he wants to move back home so he can see his kids a bit - totally understandable. But can't help but think this is a bad move for his career - the relative anonymity of League One / Championship could have been a big help to him.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-01-2014, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't sign for Hearts, Celtic or The Rangers. Would rather stay at Hibs, the club I love and get a decent move down south (knowing I wouldn't get unsettled) if worse comes to worse I would have to choose Celtic out of the other two.

Nando™
31-01-2014, 12:28 PM
It's much more common for pro footballers to have a massively inflated sense of their own worth, rather than recognise they are useless.

Therefore you would sign for Hibs, because you'd just *know* you'd be able to force yourself into the team, become a club legend, and possibly earn a world record transfer to Real Madrid.

That's certainly not the case for me. I know my strengths and weaknesses, and if I knew I wasn't good enough for Hibs then I simply wouldn't sign for them. I don't care about any other club so therefore wouldn't care about taking their money.

Swedish hibee
31-01-2014, 12:29 PM
I am gutted. Absolutely gutted. Never ever wanted to see Leigh play against us.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
31-01-2014, 12:30 PM
I am more gutted about Leigh than I was with Riordan.

Sir David Gray

Trust me, I wouldn't sign for Hearts.

There's been plenty of Hibs players over the years who I'm pretty sure would never play for Hearts.

Derek Riordan, Ian Murray and Leigh Griffiths immediately come to mind and I'm sure there's more.

On the flipside, I'm sure there's players of a Hearts persuasion who would never sign for us.

Really?

I would pick Hibs every day of the week.

You sure ? If you had the desire and drive to be a footballer would you not sign for a club offering the chance to 'live your dream' ?

I trained/played with Hearts in a youth tournament as a early teenager but I'm utterly in love with Hibs - wouldn't have stopped my love for Hibs either (nor did it). I wanted to be a pro footballer, that was all I thought about morning, noon and night until you couldn't see the goalposts due to darkness.

Good luck to Leigh - he is a Hibee and will always be a Hibee - just so happens he is signing for a bigger club who offer a Euro stage and more cash for him. He owes Hibs nothing, he gave us 2 seasons of brilliant football and cherished moments in such a short space of time.

I would never put on a Hearts strip and I certainly couldn't play against Hibs in an Edinburgh derby.

SteveHFC
I am more gutted about Leigh than I was with Riordan.

:agree:

3pm
31-01-2014, 12:32 PM

You must be over 21. :agree:

Nando™
31-01-2014, 12:33 PM
I would pick Hibs every day of the week.

You see, to me, that just looks like you're robbing your own club for your own personal satisfaction. Satisfying the needs of the few.

OsloHibs
31-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Gutted. Never really thought it would happen somehow.

SunshineOnLeith
31-01-2014, 12:38 PM
It's a transfer that makes sense for all parties involved.

Still absolutely gutted though. If he scores against us I might cry.

SurferRosa
31-01-2014, 12:45 PM
This is possible. He seemed to get pretty easily riled by Jambos when out and about, and now he's added a whole bunch of bitter Huns to his haters list.

:agree: I agree. When he was with us the huns couldn`t care less. Now they`ll target him specifically because they know how he`s likely to respond.........then cue the outrage. We`ll see how Celtic and the media cope when Leigh, inevitably, reacts badly.

Judas Iscariot
31-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Some folk on here need a reality check like...

Deary me

silverhibee
31-01-2014, 12:54 PM
He's undergoing his medical now. Wolves have got £1m fae Cellic - well done to them as I thought Cellic would have got him for less

:wink:

silverhibee
31-01-2014, 12:58 PM
It's a strange one. The fans don't want him, Lennon didn't rate him. I wonder if it's a Lawell signing, which apparently Riordan was and not really wanted by the manager. They don't need him to win the league, so they might see him as a goal scoring Champions League player. Yet to speak to one celtc fan who wants him.

BTW money and family, from Leigh's point of view this is a good deal. Cancel your twitter account Leigh next season there will be a lot of lower league fans giving you grief.

And yet Riordan has admitted many times that Strachan went to Dereks mums house to sign him, tends to suggest that Strachan wanted Riordan at celtc.

silverhibee
31-01-2014, 12:59 PM
If true he has taken a hit .He was repotredly on £10,000 a week at wolves before he signed extension .But they were never interested in him long term.They have done what they set out to do ,thwarted our attempts to sign him to make £850'000 Profit.

Never. No chance.

KeithTheHibby
31-01-2014, 01:00 PM
a) I would never sign for hearts, rangers or celtic...ever...if I was that good and the old firm were sniffing around, then there would be better options available...
b) No doubt if Griffiths signs for celtc then he'll be up front for the next Scotland team
c) Its a strange signing by them cos he's good, but not good enough to take celtc where they want to be and that's the latter stages of the champions league...

Since when do Celtic ever sign players that will take them to the next level? They unearth the odd gem, ala Wanyama and the boy Virgil but that is more luck than anything else.

They will always have a Lidl type mentality and only ever window shop in Waitrose.