PDA

View Full Version : David Paul's funeral

s.a.m
24-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Here's a short piece from the Evening News on David Paul's funeral, which took place yesterday. Good to see that Pat Fenlon and Jimmy Nicholl were there, as well as the first and <20 team, along with current managerial team.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hibs-retire-number-of-david-paul-after-funeral-1-3280998

CyberSauzee
24-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Just read that. Very sad.

Hope his team mates can do him proud the rest of the season.

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2014, 02:48 PM
I know there will have been a valid reason, but what an awful long time for his family to have to wait to lay their laddie to rest.

Very sad indeed RIP David Paul.

TowerHibs
24-01-2014, 03:46 PM
I know there will have been a valid reason, but what an awful long time for his family to have to wait to lay their laddie to rest.

Very sad indeed RIP David Paul.

The under 20's were playing in Turkey and the parents wanted them to play and then attend the funeral.

Hibs class on all sides......RIP David. I'm sure the Hibs family will always be there for support

stoneyburn hibs
24-01-2014, 03:57 PM
The under 20's were playing in Turkey and the parents wanted them to play and then attend the funeral.

Hibs class on all sides......RIP David. I'm sure the Hibs family will always be there for support

Respect to his family for making that decision, Hibs class indeed.

Jones28
24-01-2014, 03:59 PM
There couldnt have been a dry eye in the place when Sunshine on Leith came on. RIP David :flag:

Viva_Palmeiras
24-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Did I see someone tweet that his sister would be looking after him ?
Awful, awful you heart goes out to the family and friends.

Seeing your kid go before you must be crushing beyond imagination.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-01-2014, 04:15 PM
There couldnt have been a dry eye in the place when Sunshine on Leith came on. RIP David :flag:

Yup brings a lump to the throat just thinking about it.

Alan62
24-01-2014, 04:22 PM
I was at David's funeral yesterday. His father is a friend of mine and while the occasion was a terribly sad one for all concerned, the ceremony itself was magnificent and even, in an odd way, inspiring.

The contribution of the Club at what has been a harrowing and unbelievably difficult time for David's parents, has been absolutely superb. The Club has given incredible support to David's family both in a practical and a spiritual sense. Whether that's been co-ordinating elements of the arrangements and hosting the 'wake' through to gathering messages of support and condolence from David's colleagues and team mates.

People are often critical of Rod Petrie and he is frequently caricatured as a being something of a mean-spirit but Rod's personal contribution over the last month has been immense and deeply appreciated by David's family.

We may not always be world-beaters on the park but Hibernian Football Club is a family club with strong values. This is another occasion where the Club has done everything right.

Hedlund12
24-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I was at David's funeral yesterday. His father is a friend of mine and while the occasion was a terribly sad one for all concerned, the ceremony itself was magnificent and even, in an odd way, inspiring.

The contribution of the Club at what has been a harrowing and unbelievably difficult time for David's parents, has been absolutely superb. The Club has given incredible support to David's family both in a practical and a spiritual sense. Whether that's been co-ordinating elements of the arrangements and hosting the 'wake' through to gathering messages of support and condolence from David's colleagues and team mates.

People are often critical of Rod Petrie and he is frequently caricatured as a being something of a mean-spirit but Rod's personal contribution over the last month has been immense and deeply appreciated by David's family.

We may not always be world-beaters on the park but Hibernian Football Club is a family club with strong values. This is another occasion where the Club has done everything right.

Great to hear and makes me even prouder than I am already to be a Hibby.

Hedlund12
24-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Did I see someone tweet that his sister would be looking after him ?
Awful, awful you heart goes out to the family and friends.

Seeing your kid go before you must be crushing beyond imagination.

Sean Murdoch tweeted... Emotional day but a lovely send of for David Paul. I'm sure your sister Jeni will look after you now. RIP my friend. Will never forget.

Lovely words from Sean.

Seveno
24-01-2014, 05:20 PM

Thank you for sharing that with us, Alan.

Hibernia Na Eir
24-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Very decent of Pat Fenlon.

JimBHibees
24-01-2014, 06:25 PM

Totally agree. Class.

Aldo
24-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Wee tear the now reading that. Got goosebumps.

Well done to all those involved. Fitting tribute and defo Hibs Class.
RIP David. God bless

Lester B
24-01-2014, 06:58 PM

Beautifully put as ever Alan. I hope you can pass on some of the things written here to the family in due course when appropriate. By all accounts a fine young man as well as a very good player.

Funny but this news has hit me hard though I didn't even know DP and it's made me determined to sort out my own part of our family's Hibs connections. Going through my dad's archive on Sunday at last!!

Jonnyboy
24-01-2014, 07:09 PM

Thank you for this Alan. Proof if proof were needed that a fine young man will never be forgotten

DaveF
24-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Excellent post by alan62. In very difficult circumstances HFC have done the right thing with the required dignity and respect.

AltheHibby
24-01-2014, 07:59 PM
"Seeing your kid go before you must be crushing beyond imagination"

Couldn't agree more. My son is my best mate as well and it breaks my heart that he's in Australia. I know I'm seeing him later this year, but it still hurts.

I can only barely begin to imagine David's parent's grief.

IWasThere2016
24-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Near to tears reading this. Well done Hibs, Rod and wee Pat.

RIP David.

NOLA
24-01-2014, 09:56 PM

totally, we all have views on Pat Fenlon the manager but he always stuck up for his players. respect to him.

Borderhibbie76
24-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Hibees class from wee pat!! Very emotional reading this...my heart goes out to DPs family

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

FranckSuzy
24-01-2014, 10:43 PM

:top marksWell said. Hibs class from everyone at the club and from PF. RIP David.

JohnStephens91
25-01-2014, 02:29 AM
As the under-20s reporter for the SPFL under-20 league matches I regularly travel with the team and have a good relationship with them all, and this included David Paul. I honestly can't add more to what has been said about David, he was a lovely person who was unassuming and very modest.

The funeral was harrowingly beautiful, I'm not religious in any way but the lyrics to the hymns were chosen carefully and wisely and related to every aspect of the beliefs of David and his own personality. His former Head Teacher said that in the yearbook when David graduated that under 'Famous Incident' his friends at school wrote - "Being a great guy, all the time." James McDonaugh spoke of how technically gifted and how integral David was to the under-20s and how whenever he was challenged to conjure up a performance he always would. David's dad spoke and it will haunt me forever about how brave he was and how after the death of Jenni, David's older sister, that David was a rock for his mum and hugged her and said 'We'll get through this, I'll always be here for you' and as he was signing off he was choking.

What got me the most though was seeing the boys that I am used to seeing playing football, having a laugh on travels to matches with each other and generally being boisterous, performing the task of pallbearers. It brought a tear to my eye seeing all the players performing this unenviable task with such dignity and maturity before breaking into tears themselves and comforting each other. All of them were so brave and a credit to our club. Sunshine on Leith was sang by almost everyone at the service and from sitting in amongst all the players I can confirm that each and everyone sang along who was nearby me.

I think I'm not alone when I say how proud I am of the whole of Hibernian; the Chairman, the board, internal club staff, first-team players, coaches, physios, bus drivers and the entire youth academy - and not forgetting Pat Fenlon and Jimmy Nicholl for showing up to pay their respects and also to the fans who have been very vocal in lending their support to the players and staff affected by the tragedy. During this difficult time the club has shown how much we are united - we are the Hibernian family and we have all been Hibs class during this bleak period.

Scooter
25-01-2014, 04:55 AM
Pat Fenlon defo hibs class :top marks

Scouse Hibee
25-01-2014, 05:40 AM

Thanks for explaining that, you're right pure class and a wonderful gesture from the family.

davy malcolm
25-01-2014, 05:45 AM
As the under-20s reporter for the SPFL under-20 league matches I regularly travel with the team and have a good relationship with them all, and this included David Paul. I honestly can't add more to what has been said about David, he was a lovely person who was unassuming and very modest.

The funeral was harrowingly beautiful, I'm not religious in any way but the lyrics to the hymns were chosen carefully and wisely and related to every aspect of the beliefs of David and his own personality. His former Head Teacher said that in the yearbook when David graduated that under 'Famous Incident' his friends at school wrote - "Being a great guy, all the time." James McDonaugh spoke of how technically gifted and how integral David was to the under-20s and how whenever he was challenged to conjure up a performance he always would. David's dad spoke and it will haunt me forever about how brave he was and how after the death of Jenni, David's older sister, that David was a rock for his mum and hugged her and said 'We'll get through this, I'll always be here for you' and as he was signing off he was choking.

What got me the most though was seeing the boys that I am used to seeing playing football, having a laugh on travels to matches with each other and generally being boisterous, performing the task of pallbearers. It brought a tear to my eye seeing all the players performing this unenviable task with such dignity and maturity before breaking into tears themselves and comforting each other. All of them were so brave and a credit to our club. Sunshine on Leith was sang by almost everyone at the service and from sitting in amongst all the players I can confirm that each and everyone sang along who was nearby me.

I think I'm not alone when I say how proud I am of the whole of Hibernian; the Chairman, the board, internal club staff, first-team players, coaches, physios, bus drivers and the entire youth academy - and not forgetting Pat Fenlon and Jimmy Nicholl for showing up to pay their respects and also to the fans who have been very vocal in lending their support to the players and staff affected by the tragedy. During this difficult time the club has shown how much we are united - we are the Hibernian family and we have all been Hibs class during this bleak period.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

davy malcolm
25-01-2014, 05:48 AM

Nice words and rip david

gorgie greens
25-01-2014, 06:10 AM

You hear the term "Family Club" i think we have a club who can hold there head up and we can be proud of,on a very sad day for the family,well done to all the staff ,past and present .RIP David.

micksoo
25-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Very emotional reading this thread. Such a sad occasion but it sounds like everyone acted with great dignity. Really feel for his family and his team mates. RIP David

Bristolhibby
25-01-2014, 07:53 AM
This thread has bought tears to my eyes.

RIP David.

J

25-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Very emotional indeed, no parent should have to bury their child so can't even begin to imagine what those poor parents must feel having to do it twice. Once again the hibernian family showed dignity and class. Rip David

Jonnyboy
25-01-2014, 06:57 PM

Wonderfully described S&S. Tears in my eyes reading it

The Harp
25-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Some very uplifting sentiments on this thread. I hope David's family get some comfort from knowing the high esteem David was held in by his team mates and staff, both past and present, at Hibernian. He seems to have been a fine young man of whom any parent would be proud.
God bless you David.
RIP