PDA

View Full Version : Rooney poised to sign for Dons/ Hibs can't raise the transfer fee

pampdahoosmoose
23-01-2014, 11:20 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/aberdeen-close-finalising-deal-adam-3053146

Hmmm, not good!

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-01-2014, 11:22 AM
confirmed: 2 1/2 year deal. Good piece of business. Especially as they already have a pretty good strike force.

SteveHFC
23-01-2014, 11:25 AM
:rolleyes:

stoneyburn hibs
23-01-2014, 11:26 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/aberdeen-close-finalising-deal-adam-3053146

Hmmm, not good!

Don't understand why it's not good ?

HibbySpurs
23-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Out bid by Aberdeen.... What a ****ing joke..... Ambition shown again by the board :rolleyes:

pampdahoosmoose
23-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Don't understand why it's not good ?

Cause I thought he'd be a good signing and we can't afford the transfer fee

matty_f
23-01-2014, 11:29 AM
You have to remember that we spent on Collins in the summer, and spent too bring in the management team. There's only a finite amount of cash.

Gustavo Fring
23-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Out bid by Aberdeen.... What a ****ing joke..... Ambition shown again by the board :rolleyes:

if we dont have the cash to compete , would it not be a bit stupid to spend what we dont have

look to the west and see how that ends up

JustSimplyHibs
23-01-2014, 11:30 AM

Hmmm, not good!
Hibs couldnae raise the funds :faf:... more like Hibs didnae want to part with cash on a player who did alright in Scotland then disappeared of the face of earth into the lower English leagues and done nothing!!!!

Pretty Boy
23-01-2014, 11:32 AM
How much did Hibs spend to bring in Butcher et al? Nelson? Collins? To pay off Fenlon and Jimmy Nic?

There is a finite pot of cash at Hibs each season and we have spent a fair whack. Let's not go slitting the wrists and bashing the board eh?

The Sea-gull
How can Aberdeen afford Rooney and we can't? A 3 or 4k increase on their average attendance this season compared with last ought to do it.

Though it has to be said that the Dons fans didn't "buy" into it until the signings started to flow and the results followed during the season.

Shows that maybe you have to speculate and to be fair the Hibs board have tried this in the past but their failing has been that they have appointed and trusted the wrong manager with funds.

Think Aberdeen have always backed their managers reasonably well too. McInnes is just the first Aberdeen manager to use his budget well in a while.

Gustavo Fring
Hibs couldnae raise the funds :faf:... more like Hibs didnae want to part with cash on a player who did alright in Scotland then disappeared of the face of earth into the lower English leagues and done nothing!!!!

this is what butcher said in the evenin news

“We don’t have a lot of cash. A lot was spent in the early part of the season and we have to be prudent and careful in what we do. It has to be the right person. It may well be a youngster, it may be someone on loan, maybe this or that. We are still working, but it has to be right. Our reputation is on the line and while we are confident we can do so, it’s easier said than done.
“But I can understand the frustration and disappointment of the fans because it’s something we have wanted to do.”

pampdahoosmoose
23-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Sorry, must've misread the article

The_Todd
Is this going to be another Hibs.net fact? How much did Aberdeen bid, does anyone know? In time honoured Hibs.net tradition I'll make a figure up and it'll become fact. Let's say ohh £300k.

PETRIE!

nribs
It's not a bad thing, would have loved him a the club before his move south. Maybe we could have afforded him but that would have been it?

SaulGoodman
23-01-2014, 11:35 AM

Like the ambition to get Butcher and his team in, to support Fenlon through 4 transfer windows, signing the likes of Collins etc.

Do you think football teams have unlimited amounts of money?

Twa Cairpets
23-01-2014, 11:35 AM

If you actually read it, you're talking bollocks.
TB wanted loans. They wanted a permanent deal.
And why would being "outbid" by Aberdeen be a joke anyway - same size as us pretty much, different approach. it just is.
Settle doon.

Sylar
23-01-2014, 11:36 AM

It's hardly as if Aberdeen are some provincial club who shouldn't be able to challenge us financially.

We also spent a bit of money bringing in the management team, which has yielded dividends so far.

pampdahoosmoose
23-01-2014, 11:39 AM
How much did Hibs spend to bring in Butcher et al? Nelson? Collins? To pay off Fenlon and Jimmy Nic?

There is a finite pot of cash at Hibs each season and we have spent a fair whack. Let's not go slitting the wrists and bashing the board eh?

Fair enough, not having a go, just disappointing

JustSimplyHibs
23-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Sorry, must've misread the article
Nothing to be sorry about!!! I'm very happy that Hibs didn't waste a transfer fee on him... As the article stats - Butcher was going to get rid of him at ICT, before he started scoring. He has played near 70 odd games since leaving ICT and hasnae even reached 20 goals. As I say a good bit of business done which thankfully means Hibs don't end up with another dud - there has been enough of them to last us decades.

IanM
23-01-2014, 11:57 AM
this is what butcher said in the evenin news

“We don’t have a lot of cash. A lot was spent in the early part of the season and we have to be prudent and careful in what we do. It has to be the right person. It may well be a youngster, it may be someone on loan, maybe this or that. We are still working, but it has to be right. Our reputation is on the line and while we are confident we can do so, it’s easier said than done.
“But I can understand the frustration and disappointment of the fans because it’s something we have wanted to do.”

first ever time i've heard a hibs manager say that i think?
if i'm honest, who really cares? starting fresh under TB & MM, if we have to wait until the summer to get the players then thats ok surely? whats the worst that can happen? bottom 6 and knocked out the scottish cup? where have i seen that before.. we're changing as a club, the mentality will eventually chance and the confidence will grow but bringing a couple of loanees isn't going to change that so if we lose out on someone that never fitted our criteria then the best of luck to them.

I for one think this january window we'd be better getting rid of the 4 that have been told to leave and it'll loosen the purse strings for when summer comes

leggeto
23-01-2014, 11:58 AM
He is too similar to Collins anyway,id rather they held out for a small fast striker tbh

seanshow
23-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Fair play to the sheepies,over time they have done a good job hoovering up a lot of those type of players that went to engerland for pay days, and it shows in their league position.

......Must be a big wage bill now right enough

posted from my zx81

Robinho08
23-01-2014, 12:02 PM

This!

Hibbyradge
23-01-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm never going back.

God Petrie
23-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Oh no JKB was right - we're next!!!

Spike Mandela
23-01-2014, 12:09 PM
first ever time i've heard a hibs manager say that i think?
if i'm honest, who really cares? starting fresh under TB & MM, if we have to wait until the summer to get the players then thats ok surely? whats the worst that can happen? bottom 6 and knocked out the scottish cup? where have i seen that before.. we're changing as a club, the mentality will eventually chance and the confidence will grow but bringing a couple of loanees isn't going to change that so if we lose out on someone that never fitted our criteria then the best of luck to them.

I for one think this january window we'd be better getting rid of the 4 that have been told to leave and it'll loosen the purse strings for when summer comes

Not exactly the kind of blurb you will find on the PR marketing from Hibs for second half of season though is it?

The better we play in second half of season, the higher we are in the league and further we go in the cup the more attendances should go up and the more finance we will have for next season.

At the moment I think we are a few players short of pushing on in the league but the prospect of maybe a youngster or a loan deal coming in doesn't fill me full of confidence that it will be enough to do that. Of course, we have to wait and see what TB et al come up with, fingers crossed.

Just don't want to write off the rest of the season or attendances will slump.

Inch Hibs
23-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Did Aberdeen not replace Brown just before the summer and also spend loads on the likes of Reynolds and Flood in the summer?

Shame we didn't get Rooney as he's the type of player we need and is the complete opposite of Rooney.

If Terry is looking in the loan Market with a view to re shape the whole squad in the summer then I'm happy enough to go with that. I also think if Terry "really" wanted Rooney then he would have gave him a contract. It's not being outbid by Aberdeen, it's Aberdeen are willing to give him 2.5 years whilst Terry is wanting to Loan to cover the cracks until the summer. Fair play.

WestStandMoaner
23-01-2014, 12:12 PM
How much did Hibs spend to bring in Butcher et al? Nelson? Collins? To pay off Fenlon and Jimmy Nic? There is a finite pot of cash at Hibs each season and we have spent a fair whack. Let's not go slitting the wrists and bashing the board eh? I slit my wrists along time ago, same old, same old by Hibs fans, this is the reason we do not progress season on season, Hibs fans prepared to accept second best. Every January its like Groundhog Day, we are in the lower half of the table we need a striker or midfielder and we want them in early January, Petrie does the business last minute as always and we end up with a Matt Done bargain basement addition and why should Hibs fans not bash the board, they make the decisions, they accept the applause for their success off the park so they should be ready to accept their failure on the park ( Can't have it both ways )

Onion
23-01-2014, 12:13 PM

What's the problem ? We've got James Collins.

Spike Mandela
23-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Did Aberdeen not replace Brown just before the summer and also spend loads on the likes of Reynolds and Flood in the summer?

Shame we didn't get Rooney as he's the type of player we need and is the complete opposite of Rooney.

If Terry is looking in the loan Market with a view to re shape the whole squad in the summer then I'm happy enough to go with that. I also think if Terry "really" wanted Rooney then he would have gave him a contract. It's not being outbid by Aberdeen, it's Aberdeen are willing to give him 2.5 years whilst Terry is wanting to Loan to cover the cracks until the summer. Fair play.

Remember with Sevco out the league the chance of second is there for the taking and Aberdeen are perhaps gambling on acheiving this and the prize money that goes with it.

Dan Sarf
23-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Watched Rooney come on as a late substitute for Swindon V Brentford last year. Lots of hussle and bustle but not much else. Not impressed.

And Clayton Donaldson got the winner for the Bees.

--------
23-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Seems to me that when a club gets into the sort of vicious circle Hibs have been in this is what happens.

We pay to bring managers in, then pay to release them 18 months later. We spend on the players each new manager wants, then find out that the next guy doesn't want them, so we're back paying fees to sign HIS new players. This is expensive and wasteful, and has been going on far too long.

Butcher's being sensible IMO - no knee-jerk reactions, looking for free transfer men or loan deals to improve things short-term, while making his plans for next season. Since he came the team's played one really bad half of football - the first half on Saturday. Generally there's been an appreciable improvement. What's more, the second half on Saturday was a big improvement over the first half, so Butcher can shake the team up and turn them round in the course of a game.

Every time some other SPL team signs a player, someone comes on here complaining that "Hibs have been outbid by a team who shouldn't be able to compete with us in the market" and claiming that the player concerned is the ONE player who would have infallibly turned our season around and made us world-beaters.

OK - I know I'm exaggerating, but the principle's sound and true.

IMO if Butcher takes his time and exercises prudence and care before settling on the players he really needs and wants, he's more likely to get the results we all want him to get.

He'll also be a wee bit more likely to be in a position to persuade RP to push the boat out a little bit farther than usual when the situation really demands it.

Inch Hibs
23-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Remember with Sevco out the league the chance of second is there for the taking and Aberdeen are perhaps gambling on acheiving this and the prize money that goes with it.

True. But for a club £15m in debt I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve. Will the prize money cover the wages they are spending? I don't know but fair play to them if they have a plan to get the support back and regain Scotland's third force.

Thecat23
23-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Hibs DIDNT bid for him, Dons did and got him. Don't believe everything you read in the press.

Inch Hibs
23-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Hibs DIDNT bid for him, Dons did and got him. Don't believe everything you read in the press.

Looks like Hibs where interested but wanted a loan deal. Sheep offered him a perm and he took it.

Mikey09
23-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Heffernan is a better striker than Rooney (Adam!!), so Im not getting ma knickers in a twist about losing out on him. As another poster said I would like somenoe in with real pace up front and I dont think Rooney has that. All my opinion.... :wink:

Thecat23
23-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Looks like Hibs where interested but wanted a loan deal. Sheep offered him a perm and he took it.

He was an interest but nothing else just like couple of others. I think we will bring in a better striker.

erin go bragh
23-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Your getting your Rooneys mixed up IH !lol
Would have been a great signing first time round before he went down south , but he has hardly set the heather alight down there .
In TB i trust .

Ggtth

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2014, 12:22 PM
He was an interest but nothing else just like couple of others. I think we will bring in a better striker.

I doubt it

SteveHFC
23-01-2014, 12:24 PM

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mac3x3mzkj1ruj2iwo1_400.gif

Thecat23
23-01-2014, 12:24 PM
I doubt it

Why? You think Rooney was the best we could get?

Inch Hibs
23-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Fair play mate I hope so :)

Purehibee_MYB
23-01-2014, 12:27 PM

Leigh!? :hyper:

Kenny!?! :hyper:

:panic:

erin go bragh
23-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Have you heard anything TC . Or anyone ?
Hope your spot on .

Ggtth

Inch Hibs
Your getting your Rooneys mixed up IH !lol
Would have been a great signing first time round before he went down south , but he has hardly set the heather alight down there .
In TB i trust .

Ggtth

True mate but a lot of players don't cut it down South but are decent up here! Look at Billy McKay and Nial McGinn along with the likes of John Sutton, Michael Higdon and even Super Leigh.

SteveHFC

Big Valdas to return :greengrin

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01163/valdas_13_280x390_1163482a.jpg

AlbertK86
23-01-2014, 12:29 PM

According to BBC Oldham website saying we also wanted him but were unable to finance a deal for him

cabbageandribs1875
23-01-2014, 12:30 PM

eh :confused:

JimBHibees
23-01-2014, 12:31 PM
He is too similar to Collins anyway,id rather they held out for a small fast striker tbh

Completely agree he is a similar player and to me we need a faster more direct type and also other positions. Collins has been ok to me and is certainly replaceable however we should make do with him until Summer at earliest.

Billychaotic182
Aberdeen got him on a free so all this didn't match the fee is BS as there was no fee

steviehibsleith
We have Heffernan and Collins as two starting forwards, backed up by Handling and Cummings. Priority is a creative midfielder or winger and a defender(due to injuries).

Ronniekirk
23-01-2014, 12:32 PM

Don't disagree ,think some of the frustration is that Petrie sometimes recently has backed wrong managers at wrong time and the next incumbent has to deal with that and we end up with piece meal patched up teams that can't get into top six and we are always playing catch up . by next summer Aberdeen could be a stronger squad and we will find it hard to push them for second .Motherwell seem able to adapt each season and stay in top four so we are realistically fighting it out with Dundee United and whoever else for fourth , at best, unless all new signings gell quickly and we get off to a flier but there is no guarantee on that.
But we are where we are,and with right management team in place .I assume big tell knew he would get to rebuild in summer and was happy to take job based on that . So we do have to be patient this time Round

Purehibee_MYB
23-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Big Valdas to return :greengrin

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01163/valdas_13_280x390_1163482a.jpg

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/auto/r/786x0/3/3/33d02_ORIG-k260170_RandyMarshJizz.jpg

Thecat23
23-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Kenny isn't coming, flew back to Canada today.

Inch Hibs
23-01-2014, 12:35 PM
eh :confused:

Rooney is an in the box striker that has been accused of being lazy at times. Collins works his arse off around the box. Simple.

SteveHFC

:-(

Thecat23
Have you heard anything TC . Or anyone ?
Hope your spot on .

Ggtth

Just heard he's been in contact with couple of agents yesterday about players down south.

Purehibee_MYB
23-01-2014, 12:36 PM

We can put that one to bed until summer then! :cb

--------
23-01-2014, 12:37 PM

I suspect we may already have a better striker on our books already.

Successive managers have wasted money window by window over the past 6-7 seasons, replacing their predecessors' signings and bringing in players to suit THEIR plans. How many of those players have really been good enough?

We've already spent heavily this season - £200,000 fee for James Collins and signing fees for others like Mike Nelson and OTJ etc.

Butcher has said over and over that he's assessing the players we have before going in at the deep end of the transfer market. Some of our recent signings (most of them?) have appeared to be a matter of "We need a right-sided midfielder - he's a right-sided midfielder - no one else wants to sign for us, so we'll sign him". And he turns out to be NOT the player we needed, or not quite good enough, or someone who really didn't want to come to Hibs in the first place at all. Butcher won't do this.

This is common sense, surely - summer deals tend to be better deals than January ones. January is when clubs unload players suplus to requirements, or in other words, not quite good enough. June is when players' contracts come to an end.

Butcher has been working more slowly, more deliberately, and more prudently. I'm sure nothing disastrous will happen to us while he's the boss. Those players who don't buy into his regime can leave with my blessing. Those who stay will become better professional footballers thanks to him and Malpas.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2014, 12:40 PM

Brown retired and McIness was unemployed when he got the job. Reynolds was released by Sheff Wed and Flood signed a pre contract as his deal with Dundee United was at an end.

A minimal outgoing compared to what we had to pay to get TB and his team let alone any players.

silverhibee
23-01-2014, 12:40 PM

Collins and Nelson were bought in the summer from the summer budget and probably cost the club £100k at the most, i agree bringing in the new management team would cost a fair bit and as you say we had to pay off another manager and his back room staff to get the new team in.

Hate to say it but it seems Butcher is searching the bottom of the barrel for a couple of loan signings to hopefully get us through the season and scrape top six, board seem to be taking a big gamble by not backing the manager this window so far.

Borderhibbie76
23-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Jeezo where do some on here think the money is coming from?? We r averaging gates of 10k (outwith derby and tic) and people think we have an endless pot of dosh to spend!! Butcher malpas et al didnt come for buttons from ICT you know....FWIW I dont think Rooney is better than what we already have up front and he is not the type of forward we need at present....stop panicking folks in TB we trust...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Gustavo Fring
23-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Hate to say it but it seems Butcher is searching the bottom of the barrel for a couple of loan signings to hopefully get us through the season and scrape top six, board seem to be taking a big gamble by not backing the manager this window so far.

butcher has said many times that he will be doing business in the summer

most contracts expire at the end of the season , not many decent players are available in january - the ones that are available , everyone wants . il start worrying if we dont get anyone decent in the close season

Zazu62
23-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Everything will be fine stoap flapping

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Collins and Nelson were bought in the summer from the summer budget and probably cost the club £100k at the most, i agree bringing in the new management team would cost a fair bit and as you say we had to pay off another manager and his back room staff to get the new team in.

:agree: Making the top six before the split will be difficult.

The_Todd
23-01-2014, 12:47 PM

I agree. We should aim to make top six after the split

Fact

Ronniekirk
23-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Have already written it off given what's coming out of Easter road re transfers.If we then get there it's a bonus

Onion
23-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Don't disagree ,think some of the frustration is that Petrie sometimes recently has backed wrong managers at wrong time and the next incumbent has to deal with that and we end up with piece meal patched up teams that can't get into top six and we are always playing catch up . by next summer Aberdeen could be a stronger squad and we will find it hard to push them for second .Motherwell seem able to adapt each season and stay in top four so we are realistically fighting it out with Dundee United and whoever else for fourth , at best, unless all new signings gell quickly and we get off to a flier but there is no guarantee on that.
But we are where we are,and with right management team in place .I assume big tell knew he would get to rebuild in summer and was happy to take job based on that . So we do have to be patient this time Round

No sometimes or recently about it. Without question, the root of ALL the clubs problems on the field over the last 7 years is down to Hibs (Petrie's) inability to spot or pick a decent manager. Everything else flows from that.

allezsauzee
23-01-2014, 01:01 PM
What's the problem ? We've got James Collins.

well said that man!

Inch Hibs
23-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Have already written it off given what's coming out of Easter road re transfers.If we then get there it's a bonus

Cool, perhaps you can be a little more patient then :wink:

Kato
23-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Fair play to the sheepies,over time they have done a good job hoovering up a lot of those type of players that went to engerland for pay days, and it shows in their league position.

......Must be a big wage bill now right enough

A future BDO project.

lucky
23-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Not sure we were out bid. Clearly TB only wanted a loan deal. Oldham and player wanted a permeant deal. Don't believe there is transfer fee involved. I'm happy to let the manager manage. First time in years we have a manager that fills me with confidence.

The Sea-gull
23-01-2014, 01:16 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25853892

In true BBC style the article just has to make a few references to the fact they beat us to him and that we wanted him but couldn't afford him.

Earlier reports had Liam McLeod as the writer of the artcle but no mention of us.

Now we are mentioned but his name is no longer on the piece.

Reeks of him though.

--------
23-01-2014, 01:33 PM

In true BBC style the article just has to make a few references to the fact they beat us to him and that we wanted him but couldn't afford him.

Earlier reports had Liam McLeod as the writer of the article but no mention of us.

Reeks of him though.

Quote at foot from Oldham, cheeky beggars.

Looking at his record, he's not exactly been prolific, and most of his career's been spent in the lower leagues down south. The only place he's been a regular scorer is at ICT under Butcher. Overall he has about the same goal-scoring ratio of goals to games as Collins.

The Hibee Harp
23-01-2014, 01:35 PM

Earlier reports had Liam McLeod as the writer of the artcle but no mention of us.

Reeks of him though.

It does however quote the Oldham website saying Hibs were unable to fund a move.

--------
23-01-2014, 01:42 PM
It does however quote the Oldham website saying Hibs were unable to fund a move.

Yes.

And here was me thinking that there was such a thing as business confidentiality ....

RP and TB should think twice before doing business with them again.

"Weren't able"?

Or "not willing to pay silly money for much the same sort of player as we already have"?

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130123-rooney-leaves-1311495.aspx

The Hibee Harp
23-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Yes.

And here was me thinking that there was such a thing as business confidentiality ....

Unless, of course, the BBC were just making it up?

I imagine Hibs are none to please Oldham have put that out and I would expect Rod to be telling them so!

--------
23-01-2014, 01:47 PM
I imagine Hibs are none to please Oldham have put that out and I would expect Rod to be telling them so!

I've edited my post - it's on their website and I would imagine Rod will be telling their chairman what he thinks right now. :agree:

silverhibee
23-01-2014, 01:47 PM
butcher has said many times that he will be doing business in the summer

most contracts expire at the end of the season , not many decent players are available in january - the ones that are available , everyone wants . il start worrying if we dont get anyone decent in the close season

Yes i no that, but Butcher has just excluded 4 players from the squad, not even deemed good enough to get on the bench so if we don't move them on before the window closes then that is four wages sitting in the stand for the rest of the season, he commented after the St Mirren game that some of the players who played that day aren't good enough to play for Hibs, and injuries and suspensions are starting to creep in now, our squad will be a bit on the thin side going in to the second half of the season, Butcher will have to be a miracle maker to get this squad finishing in the top half of the league, he needs the board to back him this window too, and not think everything will be okay come summer time, another bottom six finish will be a nightmare for the club and may not inspire fans to renew STs for next season, another clear out in the summer so the manager can bring his own players in if he can attract them to come to Hibs, a bit like groundhog day again.

Ronniekirk
23-01-2014, 01:48 PM
No sometimes or recently about it. Without question, the root of ALL the clubs problems on the field over the last 7 years is down to Hibs (Petrie's) inability to spot or pick a decent manager. Everything else flows from that.

Trying to stay positive .So do you think he has got it right this time ? If so then we have to move forward from where we are which is no great transfer budget till May.I am as pissed of and angry and short of patience as a lot of fans are but that doesn't achieve anything ..We made it clear it was time for Fenlon to go and he went There were not many saying the management team was the wrong one so we all think he has got that one right.The short term problem is lack of cash for this Transfer window only Time to look forward and use the positives instead of looking back is all I am saying

The Hibee Harp
23-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Yes.

"Weren't able"?

Or "not willing to pay silly money for much the same sort of player as we already have"?

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130123-rooney-leaves-1311495.aspx

It also makes me think perhaps Rooney wanted to come to us as his first choice because of Terry Butcher but we were unable to fund the move.

Jones28
23-01-2014, 01:50 PM
I'd still have taken Collins over Rooney, a promising, younger player who has proven himself already at that level vs an older striker who had one good season for ICT before going South and disappearing off the face of the Earth.

Add the fees for the managers and paying off Fenlon et all couldn't have come cheap.

Ronniekirk
23-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Yes i no that, but Butcher has just excluded 4 players from the squad, not even deemed good enough to get on the bench so if we don't move them on before the window closes then that is four wages sitting in the stand for the rest of the season, he commented after the St Mirren game that some of the players who played that day aren't good enough to play for Hibs, and injuries and suspensions are starting to creep in now, our squad will be a bit on the thin side going in to the second half of the season, Butcher will have to be a miracle maker to get this squad finishing in the top half of the league, he needs the board to back him this window too, and not think everything will be okay come summer time, another bottom six finish will be a nightmare for the club and may not inspire fans to renew STs for next season, another clear out in the summer so the manager can bring his own players in if he can attract them to come to Hibs, a bit like groundhog day again.

He has subsequently said Thompson and Tiawo have been injured so don't know if he is leaving door open to re include them after window shuts ..Don't think he would leave us short if they are still applying themselves in training and were needed because of suspension or injury

cabbageandribs1875
23-01-2014, 02:04 PM
i see wee russell latapy has joined caley as a coach

PeterboroHibee
23-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Im not overly disappointed we missed out on Rooney. He had a good couple of season at ICT but as with so many players who move from the SPL, chased the wages down south and it wasnt particularly successful. Who knows if he will have the same impact as last time?

Id argue that signing him also wouldnt really have resolved any of our issues. The one thing we really lack in the team is pace, and hes not particularly quick. If Collins could improve upon his scoring rate, then I dont know what else Rooney would have offered?

What does annoy me is that its getting made out to be a bigger issue than it actually is by some fans and the media.

FitbaFolkKen
23-01-2014, 02:08 PM
The way I read this is Butcher would have liked him for 6 months but thinks we can do better in the summer, nothing to see here. He will be backed financially like all our previous managers have.

He knows fine well that he can get through to the summer and we won't be in any danger, so I'm happy for him to take his time and identify the players he really wants.

jacomo
23-01-2014, 02:11 PM
I'd still have taken Collins over Rooney, a promising, younger player who has proven himself already at that level vs an older striker who had one good season for ICT before going South and disappearing off the face of the Earth.

Add the fees for the managers and paying off Fenlon et all couldn't have come cheap.

Adam Rooney is only 25! And Collins is 23? Hardly a big difference.

jdships
23-01-2014, 02:14 PM
The way I read this is Butcher would have liked him for 6 months but thinks we can do better in the summer, nothing to see here. He will be backed financially like all our previous managers have.

He knows fine well that he can get through to the summer and we won't be in any danger, so I'm happy for him to take his time and identify the players he really wants.

Go along with what you write
On Rooney .
I am told , albeit third hand, there was no TRANSFER FEE involved as he had been released form his contract but his SIGNING ON FEE demands were not acceptable at ER

Make what you like of that :greengrin
Must say am not overly disappointed so let's move on :thumbsup:

Craig_in_Prague
23-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Im not overly disappointed we missed out on Rooney. He had a good couple of season at ICT but as with so many players who move from the SPL, chased the wages down south and it wasnt particularly successful. Who knows if he will have the same impact as last time?

Id argue that signing him also wouldnt really have resolved any of our issues. The one thing we really lack in the team is pace, and hes not particularly quick. If Collins could improve upon his scoring rate, then I dont know what else Rooney would have offered?

What does annoy me is that its getting made out to be a bigger issue than it actually is by some fans and the media.

Agree with all ...

It seems the media love to throw in (regardless of how true) that someone beat Hibs to a player.

We need a creative player, players with pace and if really picky, better fullbacks (whittaker, murphy types).

I like Collins and I am also confident Heffernan will get amongst the goals, we need to create more clear cut chances for them both, signing Rooney wouldn't have improved things at all.

The Sea-gull
23-01-2014, 02:29 PM

Had it been a choice of Rooney and Collins in the summer (not saying it was but had it been) I would have taken Rooney as he has proven he can score goals in the SPL - Collins hasn't. Also, as someone has pointed out, the age thing isn't really valid as one is 23 and the other is 25.

Would I swap Collins for Rooney now? No, despite Collins relatively poor goals return, surprisingly I wouldn't. I still think Collins is worth persevering with for another season after this. I genuiniely think we'll get more from him with the right players around him. He might not ever be a 20 goal a season striker but he could be good for 12 or 14/15. If we can find the right partner to play with him, someone who is quick, nippy and a little more prolific in front of goal, I think his hard working attributes may be of benefit.

I would have liked Collins and Rooney but not at the expensive of the aforementioned pacy, goal scoring typoe of striker.

One name that springs to mind which might not be as far fetched as some think - Scott McDonald. Terry Butcher brought him to Scotland with Motherwell so maybe he could bring him back. He's still only 30 and don't think Millwall are having the best of times this season.

Hibercelona
23-01-2014, 02:33 PM
If we hadn't blown cash on crap/substandard managers over the years and then spent even more money paying them off. We'd be in a far better position to compete in this window.

Saorsa
23-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Not sure we were out bid. Clearly TB only wanted a loan deal. Oldham and player wanted a permeant deal. Don't believe there is transfer fee involved. I'm happy to let the manager manage. First time in years we have a manager that fills me with confidence.This. If TB cannae get the players he wants and/or on the deals he wants this windae then so be it, I'm happy tae go along with his decisions. Cannae say I'm overly bothered about no getting this particular player.

JimBHibees
23-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Yes.

"Weren't able"?

No idea if the same owners however Oldham were seriously miffed when we signed Killen all those years ago. Maybe a legacy of that though it is a little strange to be so opinionated about another club.

Reaper
23-01-2014, 02:44 PM
I thinks its best to have some reality. We cant expect to be making signings at the top end of the market.....I mean we're Hibs....we've no got the infrastructure in place I mean 1. We dinnae have a ramshackle stadium soon to be condemned 2. We dinnae owe enough money 3. We dinnae have fans that tell anyone we think is listening that we're a 'big team' thus making it true 4. We havent formed a 'special relationship' with any of the cups we play for 5. We havent got any 'World class superstars' that can pull a mean pint and be rolled out on a wheelchair even at the age of 70......when the chips are doon 6. We're not due to win the Champions league imminently 7. Players that play for us have to put up with training in proper facilities everyday 8. We dinnae have the best crop of youngsters since Man Utds golden generation 9. We dinnae even have a transfer embargo FFS I think all this shows how far we are from competing to sign the Adam Rooneys of this world..................

Steven_Hibs
23-01-2014, 02:47 PM
I must say, I'm glad we never got him. Always thought he was too slow for a frontman, we need a real pacy striker to partner Collins till TB converts Harris into Walcott :greengrin

Ronniekirk
23-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Cool, perhaps you can be a little more patient then :wink:

Good Karma:wink: Maybe we need to spread it around.its sustaining it in adversity that's always the test.:confused:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Didnt want him anyway.

HibbySpurs
23-01-2014, 03:05 PM
If you actually read it, you're talking bollocks.
TB wanted loans. They wanted a permanent deal.
And why would being "outbid" by Aberdeen be a joke anyway - same size as us pretty much, different approach. it just is.
Settle doon.

I grow wearesome of loans tbh. Accept they are part and parcel for clubs like ours but just look at Sparky to see where they get us.

If its a couple of loans to bolster the squad before a clear out & rebuilding in the summer then fair enough.

FWIW I fibd the fact the sheep can outbid us a worry. Im not asking for us to follow the yam model but if we're serious about challenging at the top then we have to start winning at least some of these tussles.

Anyway,maybes just a bit of depression kicking in as we've signed nae **** so far this window! PETRIE!!!!!

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

JimBHibees
23-01-2014, 03:11 PM
I grow wearesome of loans tbh. Accept they are part and parcel for clubs like ours but just look at Sparky to see where they get us.

If its a couple of loans to bolster the squad before a clear out & rebuilding in the summer then fair enough.

FWIW I fibd the fact the sheep can outbid us a worry. Im not asking for us to follow the yam model but if we're serious about challenging at the top then we have to start winning at least some of these tussles.

Anyway,maybes just a bit of depression kicking in as we've signed nae **** so far this window! PETRIE!!!!!

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah because that never worked. :greengrin

greiang
23-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Adam Rooney is a decent player, and one I'd have liked to have seen at ER. However, I trust TB, MM (&RP) to do the correct thing from a squad addition and business perspective. If it means waiting until summer to get some proper TB style players, then so be it.

In terms of Aberdeen - they've gone down the route of loading their team with experienced SPL pro's or pro's who've at least proved to have 'done it' in the SPL (Robson, Flood, Anderson, McGinn...now Rooney), so they're spending decent money on wages to push them up the league table. This season, it appears to be working. However, I'm dubious about their overall financial position. They have a significant debt, a crumbling stadium and no state of the art training facility of their own (they use Aberdeen sports village - which is a pretty decent place, but it's not theirs). Even though they're second in the league, their attendances haven't exactly rocketed up (they were getting 15-16k at home during Jimmy Calderwood's reign, and they're nowhere near that now..11-13k these days). They're gambling on extra prize money for second or third place, and potentially some money from Europe. That's OK for a short term fix, but they're going to suffer quite a hit when they eventually start to pay for a new stadium.

I agree that RP has not been great at picking new managers for us, but I think the vast majority of us think he's got it right this time. TB will sort us out, but that won't happen over night, or during a Jan transfer window....especially one where there has been very little movement. Let's see what TB can do for the rest of the season, but accept that we'll only see his own team after the summer.

wookie70
23-01-2014, 03:32 PM
The difference in prize money is a decent chunk of change around £650K between 7th and 2nd placed. You can buy quite a few £2K a week players for that kind of difference. If you do take the gamble you sometimes have to see it through and make sure you do finish quite high up the league. On the face of it Hibs had a flutter at the start of this season. We paid transfer fees for Collins and Nelson and brought in Vine, OTJ and Craig. It hasn't worked out for us at the moment and if we were a fruit machine I think I would be pressing collect rather than gamble. Second Place is quite a big gap from 3rd which is the absolute best I would imagine we would achieve by gambling so there maybe isn't the same reward for us as there is for Aberdeen.

We have wasted fortunes in the transfer merry go round and I would rather we built the walls this time before trying to build the roof. Summer is a better time for laying foundations.

1: £2,405,514 (13.39%, -£314,487)
2: £1,717,454 (9.56%, -£682,546)
3: £1,460,555 (8.13%, -£59,446)
4: £1,288,629 (7.17%, -£71,371)
5: £1,202,757 (6.7%, -£77,243)
6: £1,116,884 (6.22%, -£83,116)
7: £1,056,701 (5.88%, -£63,299)

Reaper
23-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Adam Rooney is a decent player, and one I'd have liked to have seen at ER. However, I trust TB, MM (&RP) to do the correct thing from a squad addition and business perspective. If it means waiting until summer to get some proper TB style players, then so be it.

In terms of Aberdeen - they've gone down the route of loading their team with experienced SPL pro's or pro's who've at least proved to have 'done it' in the SPL (Robson, Flood, Anderson, McGinn...now Rooney), so they're spending decent money on wages to push them up the league table. This season, it appears to be working. However, I'm dubious about their overall financial position. They have a significant debt, a crumbling stadium and no state of the art training facility of their own (they use Aberdeen sports village - which is a pretty decent place, but it's not theirs). Even though they're second in the league, their attendances haven't exactly rocketed up (they were getting 15-16k at home during Jimmy Calderwood's reign, and they're nowhere near that now..11-13k these days). They're gambling on extra prize money for second or third place, and potentially some money from Europe. That's OK for a short term fix, but they're going to suffer quite a hit when they eventually start to pay for a new stadium.

I agree that RP has not been great at picking new managers for us, but I think the vast majority of us think he's got it right this time. TB will sort us out, but that won't happen over night, or during a Jan transfer window....especially one where there has been very little movement. Let's see what TB can do for the rest of the season, but accept that we'll only see his own team after the summer.

Spot on. I firmly believe we will be the third force in Scotland by quite a distance in 3 or 4 years time cos we will have built a legacy. By that time Aberdeen and Dundee UTD will be laden with debt and in the same position they were in 10 years ago without the infrastructure to help them rebuild.

FitbaFolkKen
23-01-2014, 04:09 PM
If we hadn't blown cash on crap/substandard managers over the years and then spent even more money paying them off. We'd be in a far better position to compete in this window.

If we hadn't wasted money, we'd have more money...... In England in the top 4 leagues the average manager lasts 20 months, since 2002 and we appointed bobby we have had 7 managers previous to Terry, at an average of 20 months in the job each. We are no different from any other club when it comes to managerial changes. The quality of them has been dubious, however I would say that upon appointment the feeling for every one of them has been pretty positive and they've all had decent credentials. The only one I wasn't keen on was Hughes but the general feeling on forums etc... was positive. You can't appoint guys and then not back them, Butcher will get the same backing but hopefully spend it a bit more wisely.

Gala Foxes
23-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Guy has been shown the door at Birmingham, Swindon & Oldham in quick succession so maybe not much of a loss

NAE NOOKIE
23-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Decent player to have if he gets his ICT form back, so wouldnt have said no. But wont exactly cry myself to sleep coz we missed out on him. I'm not bothered if we sign anybody in this window .. I would much rather see a back to form Alex Harris and Sam Stanton getting a dcent run out than a new striker.

I used to be really down on loan signings, especially after the 11 / 12 season, but even big clubs take loan signings these days so I would be OK with that so long as it was only a couple of players.

At the end of the day I think the summer is when we should be looking to improve the squad and if that means writing off a top six place this season so be it.

As for anything Oldham Athletic have to say on the subject ....... Their only claim to fame as far as I can see is that Paul Scholes supports them .... nae offence to any Oldham fans looking in ... good luck to you :greengrin

QMU-1875
23-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Heard it's down to not being willing to part with the money they were asking for as TB didn't feel he was worth that money. Nothing to fuss over.

--------
23-01-2014, 06:12 PM
It also makes me think perhaps Rooney wanted to come to us as his first choice because of Terry Butcher but we were unable to fund the move.

Likesay, we've spent a fair amount already this season and bank accounts aren't elastic (at least mine isn't) so perhaps what Oldham interpret as Hibs being unable to fund the move is simply our board deciding that Rooney isn't the class of player they would take a chance on, so no thanks.

givescotlandfreedom
23-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Aberdeen seem to be spending a lot these days - hopefully it'll bite them on the backside.

ekhibee
23-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Very true. To be fair though, we have had a couple of decent ones from them in the past.

mc5-the-don
23-01-2014, 07:44 PM
As established, no transfer fee was paid.

He is taking the wage freed up by Greg Wylde leaving the club. So, we have a potential first team regular in place of an outcast, at no extra cost - good business IMO.

Before Rooney came, we only had one good centre forward (McGinn), who McIness has played on the left wing ALL SEASON! Vernon, Zola, Josh McGennis range from poor to embarassing.

On wages - I'm sure I heard or read today that Hibs actually have a bigger football budget than Aberdeen (will try and find source). All 7 of our summer signings had better financial offers elsewhere, but chose to sign for Abrerdeen (a bottom six club previous 3 seasons).

On training facilities, we now train at the playing fields of a private girls school - supposed to be good, compared to council fields we used before! New training facilities now in pipeline, independent of new (delayed) stadium.

In terms of (physical) infrastructure and debt, we are 5-10 years behind hibs. Your chairman played a blinder in the 00's....although a few hefty transfer fees helped.

Think we have turned a corner on and off the field, but only time will tell. Finishing 2nd over the next 2-3 seasons is a realistic target.

ronaldo7
23-01-2014, 07:54 PM
As established, no transfer fee was paid.

He is taking the wage freed up by Greg Wylde leaving the club. So, we have a potential first team regular in place of an outcast, at no extra cost - good business IMO.

Before Rooney came, we only had one good centre forward (McGinn), who McIness has played on the left wing ALL SEASON! Vernon, Zola, Josh McGennis range from poor to embarassing.

On wages - I'm sure I heard or read today that Hibs actually have a bigger football budget than Aberdeen (will try and find source). All 7 of our summer signings had better financial offers elsewhere, but chose to sign for Abrerdeen (a bottom six club previous 3 seasons).

On training facilities, we now train at the playing fields of a private girls school - supposed to be good, compared to council fields we used before! New training facilities now in pipeline, independent of new (delayed) stadium.

In terms of (physical) infrastructure and debt, we are 5-10 years behind hibs. Your chairman played a blinder in the 00's....although a few hefty transfer fees helped.

Think we have turned a corner on and off the field, but only time will tell. Finishing 2nd over the next 2-3 seasons is a realistic target.

You'll be hoping he can remember where the goals are:wink:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-report/?matchid=3693193&tcmuri=1245985

ronaldo7
23-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Heard it's down to not being willing to part with the money they were asking for as TB didn't feel he was worth that money. Nothing to fuss over.

Released from his contract according to his club.

mc5-the-don
23-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Indeed! His ICT form will do nicely...

Not doing cartwheels over the signing, but he seems better than what we have....and his signing makes more sense than the more expensive / loan / double cup-tied Goodwillie.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ronaldo7
23-01-2014, 08:03 PM

Not doing cartwheels over the signing, but he seems better than what we have....and his signing makes more sense than the more expensive / loan / double cup-tied Goodwillie.

I think he'll do well for you. I would have taken him at ER but we move onto better things:greengrin

Ronniekirk
23-01-2014, 08:08 PM

Can he play in league cup for you .? I put money on dons at outset as just thought it might be there year .

JimBHibees
23-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Can he play in league cup for you .? I put money on dons at outset as just thought it might be there year .

Pretty sure he can.

mc5-the-don
23-01-2014, 08:18 PM
English / Scottish knock out cups are different competitions - so he is not cup-tied.

If we get past StJ, I really hope we get Hearts in the final. Both their wins against us were freak results....while ICT were very impressive against us at the weekend.

Ronniekirk
23-01-2014, 08:22 PM
English / Scottish knock out cups are different competitions - so he is not cup-tied.

If we get past StJ, I really hope we get Hearts in the final. Both their wins against us were freak results....while ICT were very impressive against us at the weekend.

On any other year I would of been happy to see you stuff them in the final but this year they need to be punished in the semi and realise that cheats have no right to be getting that far in competition in the first place

Shrekko
23-01-2014, 08:28 PM

7 football players turned down more money elsewhere to sign for Aberdeen? Why? There must be a reason for them doing that in such eye-popping numbers?

mc5-the-don
23-01-2014, 08:30 PM
On any other year I would of been happy to see you stuff them in the final but this year they need to be punished in the semi and realise that cheats have no right to be getting that far in competition in the first place

If we are going to win, I would prefer it to be against ICT. Would be a friendly final and we would probably get 30k + allocation! I think we took down 30k when we last won a trophy (against Dundee).

12,500 down to Tynecastle next Sat !

SaulGoodman
23-01-2014, 08:32 PM

No doubt will be a better signing than Wylde, from what I heard he was pretty disinterested.

Bringing in Rooney for Wylde is no doubt a good bit of business.

mc5-the-don
23-01-2014, 08:32 PM
7 football players turned down more money elsewhere to sign for Aberdeen? Why? There must be a reason for them doing that in such eye-popping numbers?

I would like to say it is because "we are the famous Aberdeen", but loads of players haved d!cked us about over the years....I really think it comes down to the manager and his "vision for the club".

Inch Hibs
23-01-2014, 08:33 PM

Who doesn't want to ply their trade in the granite city?

SaulGoodman
23-01-2014, 08:34 PM
12,500 down to Tynecastle next Sat !

Did I read that right?

Inch Hibs
23-01-2014, 08:34 PM
I would like to say it is because "we are the famous Aberdeen", but loads of players haved d!cked us about over the years....I really think it comes down to the manager and his "vision for the club".

What's his vision mate?

mc5-the-don
23-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Did I read that right?

You sure did! Maybe a little more, as plenty briefs had been bought for StJ section b4 our allocation was increased from the original 11k (which was snapped up super quick).

Viva_Palmeiras
23-01-2014, 08:39 PM

The phantom flan flinger just flanned you.

mc5-the-don
23-01-2014, 08:40 PM
What's his vision mate?

I guess the 'potential' to finish 2nd over next 2-3 years, European football...with maybe a cup win or two along the way.

SaulGoodman
23-01-2014, 08:45 PM
You sure did! Maybe a little more, as plenty briefs had been bought for StJ section b4 our allocation was increased from the original 11k (which was snapped up super quick).

Sorry mate I was being a clown, forgot yous are playing there in the cup!

Was wondering where the Hearts fans were going to go :doh:

Shrekko
23-01-2014, 08:48 PM
I guess the 'potential' to finish 2nd over next 2-3 years, European football...with maybe a cup win or two along the way.

Let's be honest mate, Derek McInnes had just failed at Bristol City. I honestly don't think his 'vision' would mean more to a player than what's at the bottom of his wage slip.

Whether Aberdeen's overall wage bill is less or the same as others they are clearly offering players a bit more- whether that's a Stewart Milne home at a knock down price, a bigger signing on fee or whatever.

Naive to think journeymen players go anywhere for anything other than a better deal.

mc5-the-don
23-01-2014, 08:55 PM
I wasn't initially keen on him for same reason, but he obviously has something about him. He "blew away" our board during his interview.

He specifically said that every player we signed (in summer) had better financial offers elsewhere....although we are pressumably talking hundreds per week, not thousands.

Robson came because he wanted to move back home, Flood came because Robson is his best mate....I guess

silverhibee
23-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Did I read that right?

You did.

Inch Hibs
23-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Let's be honest mate, Derek McInnes had just failed at Bristol City. I honestly don't think his 'vision' would mean more to a player than what's at the bottom of his wage slip.

Whether Aberdeen's overall wage bill is less or the same as others they are clearly offering players a bit more- whether that's a Stewart Milne home at a knock down price, a bigger signing on fee or whatever.

Naive to think journeymen players go anywhere for anything other than a better deal.

He failed to steady a sinking ship down South. He's the best young manager in our game by miles and done a fantastic job at St Johnstone. I can see why players would be attracted to go and play for him as he's got such enthusiasm and ambition and he seems an educated and thoroughly nice guy too who played at a high level and learned from loads of different brilliant managers starting with Alan McGraw at Morton.

SaulGoodman
23-01-2014, 09:16 PM
You did.

See my last post :greengrin

silverhibee
23-01-2014, 09:21 PM
See my last post :greengrin

I have. :doh::greengrin

Shrekko
23-01-2014, 09:27 PM
He failed to steady a sinking ship down South. He's the best young manager in our game by miles and done a fantastic job at St Johnstone. I can see why players would be attracted to go and play for him as he's got such enthusiasm and ambition and he seems an educated and thoroughly nice guy too who played at a high level and learned from loads of different brilliant managers starting with Alan McGraw at Morton.
I agree with all that you say about McInnes and factors like that are important when a player is deciding between clubs who have made similar offers.

In saying that we're not at the stage yet where guys are turning down more money simply to play for Derek McInnes. There are few managers in the world who have that effect.

Inch Hibs
23-01-2014, 09:33 PM
I agree with all that you say about McInnes and factors like that are important when a player is deciding between clubs who have made similar offers.

In saying that we're not at the stage yet where guys are turning down more money simply to play for Derek McInnes. There are few managers in the world who have that effect.

Yeah good point. It could be they see DM as a reassuring kind of guy to get certain players careers back on track etc like he done with a good few at St Johnstone previously. Your right though, it would be staggering if the majority of the players he brought to Aberdeen had better offers on the table from other clubs. Players like Wylde and Flood certainly wouldn't have had and Reynolds was Humpty down South so it would have been surprising if he had had.

JustSimplyHibs
24-01-2014, 07:30 AM
The phantom flan flinger just flanned you.

Nice one, always wanted to be flanned by a 70s iconic villian... just a shame he got to you before me though!!! :na na:

RIP
24-01-2014, 10:54 AM

That would be a big draw mate - Aberdeen aren't new to Europe.

Stewart Milne is wealthier than Tom Farmer and has always been ambitious for the club he supports. He has deep pockets that we can't match. It may not be all in cash - he's a housebuilder after all so there could be deal sweeteners

We've been bottom six for four years and had an issue with a player revolving door. As much as I love my club we can't possibly be as inviting.

Deansy
24-01-2014, 12:17 PM
'Hibs can't raise the transfer-fee' - It's the 'Daily Ret*rd', must be true !!

Tom Hart RIP
24-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Butcher angry at way the Rooney story is being reported in media. He spoke to Rooneys agent and offered loan deal with a view to permanent deal in summer depending on form. No money discussed. Aberdeen decided to offer contract and he joined them. Hibs were not outbid.

Judas Iscariot
24-01-2014, 02:19 PM

We won't get a better player than him in this window that's for sure

grunt
24-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Stewart Milne is wealthier than Tom Farmer .
Barely

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/lists/rich/richest-people-in-scotland/

MrRobot
25-01-2014, 10:57 AM

Nothing to pay off Fenlon cause he resigned.

Andy74
25-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Butcher angry at way the Rooney story is being reported in media. He spoke to Rooneys agent and offered loan deal with a view to permanent deal in summer depending on form. No money discussed. Aberdeen decided to offer contract and he joined them. Hibs were not outbid.

We sort of were though surely if we could only offer a loan deal and they could take him permanently ?

GreenCastle
25-01-2014, 11:14 AM
For Rooney the chance to play top 6 - possible Europa League and play in the League Cup final may have been a draw also.

Plus having lived up north at ICT he knows the area and has friends up there - all factors why he went to the dons.

I would have liked him at ER and think he will do very well at Aberdeen and this conversation will be revisited several times in the next couple of seasons.

bigwheel
25-01-2014, 11:41 AM
We sort of were though surely if we could only offer a loan deal and they could take him permanently ?

We only wanted him on loan ...Butcher feels there's better available in the summer

Viva_Palmeiras
25-01-2014, 11:54 AM
As Butcher said bollocks close thread...

Jones28
25-01-2014, 12:10 PM
So Aberdeen have gambled on him? A player that has failed at 3 English clubs?

If, and only if he regains the form he showed at ICT then he will be a good signing.

And can the club issue some sort of statement to clarify that we didn't sign him because we couldn't raise the fee? Instead state that the dons were willing to take a chance and offer him a contract straight away? It's annoying how we as a club are portrayed constantly by the BBC as penny pinching Scrooges!

Viva_Palmeiras
25-01-2014, 12:23 PM
So Aberdeen have gambled on him? A player that has failed at 3 English clubs?

If, and only if he regains the form he showed at ICT then he will be a good signing.

And can the club issue some sort of statement to clarify that we didn't sign him because we couldn't raise the few? Instead state that the dons were willing to take a chance and offer him a contract straight away? It's annoying how we as a club are portrayed constantly by the BBC as penny pinching Scrooges!

Terrys already done as much it's "bollocks" and that's a direct quote he even went as far to acknowledge the supporters would be scratching their heads thinking we lost out when we actually never talked figures as Rooney/agent wee on a different wavelength and wanted "somewhere" to play permanently (does that actually mean anywhere?) Terry was already quoted as saying he was ready to get rid when he started scoring, I dunno what Rooneys record is down South but can be that great if he's surplus to requirements. So maybe he's had his purple patch...

Niffy
25-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Whit ?

Kaiser1962
25-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Barely

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/lists/rich/richest-people-in-scotland/

I think Vlad was ahead of both of them a season earlier.

Jones28
25-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Terrys already done as much it's "bollocks" and that's a direct quote he even went as far to acknowledge the supporters would be scratching their heads thinking we lost out when we actually never talked figures as Rooney/agent wee on a different wavelength and wanted "somewhere" to play permanently (does that actually mean anywhere?) Terry was already quoted as saying he was ready to get rid when he started scoring, I dunno what Rooneys record is down South but can be that great if he's surplus to requirements. So maybe he's had his purple patch...

He's a hero if he actually said bollocks haha.

The thing about TB is the media and him get along quite well, so for them to fabricate this kind of thing is strange. But this is Hibs we're talking about I suppose.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2014, 01:09 PM

Oldham are just getting their revenge for Hibs going down there and giving them a kicking in the 80's! Kano penalty - 1-1 IIRC. My first Hibs game down south!

hibsbollah
25-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Rooney starts for sheep today...

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2014, 01:12 PM
I cant really understand why folk are getting their knickers in a twist about not signing Adam Rooney, when we urgently need other positions filled much more than another forward?

We need to prioritise weaknesses first, and bringing in another forward would only hinder our chances of strengthening where its really needed first.

Nailrod
25-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Shame we didn't get Rooney as he's the type of player we need and is the complete opposite of Rooney...Could be wrong on this, but I've heard he's the complete opposite of Yenoor. :agree:

Andy74
25-01-2014, 01:55 PM
I cant really understand why folk are getting their knickers in a twist about not signing Adam Rooney, when we urgently need other positions filled much more than another forward?

We need to prioritise weaknesses first, and bringing in another forward would only hinder our chances of strengthening where its really needed first.

Makes you wonder why Butcher was looking to take him on loan though eh ?

Inch Hibs
25-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Because he's a goalscorer that became available? Unlike Paddy he wanted to loan him to see how he fitted in the side rather that just sign a player for the sake of it on a long term contract. :agree:

Jones28
25-01-2014, 02:00 PM

His track record speaks for itself - a good season for ICT and nothing since.

We've potentially dodged a bullet here.

On the other hand if he does well for Aberdeen it'll be a .net fact that we could have got him for £150 and a packet of strawberry bonbons

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2014, 02:00 PM

Not really, opportunity's present themselves all through each transfer window, you weigh them up and make your decisions accordingly.

If Griffiths was available on loan tomorrow i'd imagine he'd take him in a flash.

eggbamyasi
25-01-2014, 02:04 PM
TERRY Butcher has reacted strongly to comments made by new Aberdeen signing Adam Rooney that appeared to suggest the striker had rejected the chance to work with his former manager again.

“Absolute b*llocks, if you’ll excuse my French,” was the Hibernian manager’s take on things yesterday, as he arrived to preview this weekend’s match with champions Celtic.

QUOTE=Jones28;3882592]He's a hero if he actually said bollocks haha.

The thing about TB is the media and him get along quite well, so for them to fabricate this kind of thing is strange. But this is Hibs we're talking about I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Yep he did, scotsman article today . Legend :top marks

Jones28
25-01-2014, 02:08 PM
TERRY Butcher has reacted strongly to comments made by new Aberdeen signing Adam Rooney that appeared to suggest the striker had rejected the chance to work with his former manager again.

“Absolute b*llocks, if you’ll excuse my French,” was the Hibernian manager’s take on things yesterday, as he arrived to preview this weekend’s match with champions Celtic.

QUOTE=Jones28;3882592]He's a hero if he actually said bollocks haha.

The thing about TB is the media and him get along quite well, so for them to fabricate this kind of thing is strange. But this is Hibs we're talking about I suppose.

Yep he did, scotsman article today . Legend :top marks[/QUOTE]

Top notch TB! Get them telt!

Eyrie
25-01-2014, 03:03 PM
So now that Butcher has dismissed the penny-pinching rumour, can the thread title be corrected?

joe breezy
25-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Rooney scores for Aberdeen

stoneyburn hibs
25-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Rooney scores haha.

down-the-slope
25-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Rooney scores for Aberdeen

Rooney scores haha.a rebound from McGinns shot....he just missed 'a sitter' though :wink: