PDA

View Full Version : Stan Collymore

HibeeLR
21-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Any one else following him on twitter? Receiving a lot of racial abuse. Horrible that it's 2014 and idiots still feel the need to be racist, hope these sh**s are punished

Blocks Biloxi
21-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Again?

FFS.

Billychaotic182
21-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Never knew about it so had a wee look there the now. How is this still going on? Horrible

BOB MARLEYS DUG
21-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Any one else following him on twitter? Receiving a lot of racial abuse. Horrible that it's 2014 and idiots still feel the need to be racist, hope these sh**s are punished

Agreed Loags. Absolute ****bags!

frazeHFC
21-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Yeah saw that guy tonight that's sending him loads. Keyboard gangster, police have been rightly contacted.

AngusHibby
21-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Disgraceful, I can't believe its 2014. All because he accused a player of diving. Twitter have been very slow to act

CallumLaidlaw
21-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Some of the stuff being written is absolutely vile.
And then people are tweeting him saying he should just deactivate his twitter. Why should he have to??

7 Hills
21-01-2014, 10:45 PM
I don't condone racism, but by the same token - I don't condone violence against women either. Stan's well known for attacking Ulrika Jonnson in front of Scotland fans at France 98.

AngusHibby
21-01-2014, 10:51 PM
I don't condone racism, but by the same token - I don't condone violence against women either. Stan's well known for attacking Ulrika Jonnson in front of Scotland fans at France 98.
whats that got to do with the abuse he's receiving?

McSwanky
21-01-2014, 11:00 PM

He must have read it in the Bible. An eye for a tooth or something?

wazoo1875
21-01-2014, 11:05 PM
That's incredible in this day and age. Good on him for standing against these ignorant fools. The abuse beth tweddle received was outrageous also.

lucky
21-01-2014, 11:10 PM
No place for racism but stopped following and listening to him on talk sport because he is a bell end.

essexhibee
21-01-2014, 11:20 PM
He must have read it in the Bible. An eye for a tooth or something?

An eye for an eye will make us all blind.

Bay Area Hibees
22-01-2014, 02:57 AM

Eh so that makes it ok? I hope your no older than 6 years old, tool.

Deansy
22-01-2014, 04:23 AM

Ditto - no time for racism either but despise physical-abusers of women more !

lapsedhibee
22-01-2014, 04:29 AM
An eye for a tooth or something?

Wouldn't that be if he'd called Ulrikakakaka an Aryan slag in front of Scotland fans? :hmmm:

Pretty Boy
22-01-2014, 07:00 AM
People attitude towards Collymore confuses me. George Best and Gazza both gave their wives a slap under the influence of alcohol. One was 'forgiven' almost universally whilst the other is seen as a character to be pitied. Is the willingness to forgive based on the fact they were better player or more likeable characters?

Collymore has apologised repeatedly over the years (not that that makes it ok or justifies hitting a woman), he has tried to explain whilst not excuse his actions, he has spoken openly and articulately about his battle with serious mental health problems and he's always tried to take responsibility for his own behaviour whilst pointing out there are reasons for it.

He's been outspoken against racism and homophobia in football and regularly argued that clubs should do more to prepare young players for the pressures that come with being an ordinary young man who is suddenly very rich, famous and in the public eye.

I'd stop short of saying I like him but I think he's worth listening to at times. And regardless of his past racial abuse or abuse about his health issues, both of which he receives regularly, is never acceptable.

Newry Hibs
22-01-2014, 07:04 AM
People attitude towards Collymore confuses me. George Best and Gazza both gave their wives a slap under the influence of alcohol. One was 'forgiven' almost universally whilst the other is seen as a character to be pitied. Is the willingness to forgive based on the fact they were better player or more likeable characters?

Collymore has apologised repeatedly over the years (not that that makes it ok or justifies hitting a woman), he has tried to explain whilst not excuse his actions, he has spoken openly and articulately about his battle with serious mental health problems and he's always tried to take responsibility for his own behaviour whilst pointing out their are reasons for it.

He's been outspoken against racism and homophobia in football and regularly argued that clubs should do more to prepare young players for the pressures that come with being an ordinary young man who is suddenly very rich, famous and in the public eye.

I'd stop short of saying I like him but I think he's worth listening to at times. And regardless of his past racial abuse or abuse about his health issues, both of which he receives regularly, is never acceptable.

Indeed - had an airport named after him.

Gus
22-01-2014, 07:05 AM
Spot on Pretty Boy

wpj
22-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Stan on BBC 1 news shortly fir anyone interested

ehf
22-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Stan on BBC 1 news shortly fir anyone interested

He's just been on a phone-in on Radio 5 Live. Some roaster called Douglas from Glasgow phones in and says it's OK because it's only a tiny minority. Quite incredible, but Stan saw him off nicely. Indubitably a hun.

AngusHibby
22-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Excuse me? did i say it was okay to beat up women? Does this make it acceptable for people to call someone else a slave, or a cotton picker, or a n****r. Na didn't think so, tool.

superfurryhibby
22-01-2014, 12:03 PM
The man is a fud and I hate his shouty style. However, there is no excuse for racist abuse!

Coco Bryce
22-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Collymore has apologised repeatedly over the years (not that that makes it ok or justifies hitting a woman), he has tried to explain whilst not excuse his actions, he has spoken openly and articulately about his battle with serious mental health problems and he's always tried to take responsibility for his own behaviour whilst pointing out there are reasons for it.

Robert Burns. Another alcoholic wife beater who's life we celebrate. It's OK though, he wrote some little dinky poems and songs :rolleyes:

superfurryhibby
22-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Robert Burns. Another alcoholic wife beater who's life we celebrate. It's OK though, he wrote some little dinky poems and songs :rolleyes:

How do you know he beat his wife?:faf:

hibsbollah
22-01-2014, 04:22 PM

Good post :agree:

The jail sentences which are being handed out to twitter abusers will hopefully send a message out. (the Criado-Perez case and the previous Collymore case spring to mind). The police are taking this seriously, even if Twitter isn't.

To digress a bit, I called out a racist workmate today and it felt good afterwards, even though I generally avoid confrontation and have probably been a bit cowardly about standing up to his ignorance before now. It always feels better to confront these things than ignore them.

NAE NOOKIE
22-01-2014, 04:44 PM

Saved me the bother of a longer post ( not like me I know ) sums up my viewpoint perfectly.

NAE NOOKIE
22-01-2014, 04:53 PM

Not for me to answer for Angus Hibby .... but I dont think he was trying to excuse or justify what Collymore did in the past, he was just saying that two wrongs dont make a right ...... on a thread dedicated to unacceptable abuse the last word of your sentence is kind of ironic.

NAE NOOKIE
22-01-2014, 04:59 PM
The man is a fud and I hate his shouty style. However, there is no excuse for racist abuse!

When Collymore first turned up on the Radio I was all set to hate him because of his past idiocy and the impression he gave of being a brainless thug.

Imagine my surprise to find he was articulate and more often than not spot on with some of his comments and views not only on the game he was watching but on football in general. I love his shouty style.

weonlywon6-2
22-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Disgraceful, I can't believe its 2014. All because he accused a player of diving. Twitter have been very slow to act

Twitter dont care what happens on their website

superfurryhibby
22-01-2014, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=NAE BOVRIL;3879448]When Collymore first turned up on the Radio I was all set to hate him. of his past idiocy and the impression he gave of being a brainless thug.

Imagine my surprise to find he was articulate and more often than not spot on with some of his comments and views not only on the game he was watching but on football in general. I love his shouty style.[/QUOT

I've only heard him on Talk *#;::-( where he comes across as controlling and full of sense of self importance. I've never been impressed. Maybe he's more toned down on the BBC?

lord bunberry
22-01-2014, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=NAE BOVRIL;3879448]When Collymore first turned up on the Radio I was all set to hate him. of his past idiocy and the impression he gave of being a brainless thug.

Imagine my surprise to find he was articulate and more often than not spot on with some of his comments and views not only on the game he was watching but on football in general. I love his shouty style.[/QUOT

I've only heard him on Talk *#;::-( where he comes across as controlling and full of sense of self importance. I've never been impressed. Maybe he's more toned down on the BBC?

He's still on talk sport

Danderhall Hibs
22-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Ulrika's a cow anyway....

Discuss.

clerriehibs
22-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Good post :agree:

The jail sentences which are being handed out to twitter abusers will hopefully send a message out. (the Criado-Perez case and the previous Collymore case spring to mind). The police are taking this seriously, even if Twitter isn't.

To digress a bit, I called out a racist workmate today and it felt good afterwards, even though I generally avoid confrontation and have probably been a bit cowardly about standing up to his ignorance before now. It always feels better to confront these things than ignore them.

Personally, I'd rather see someone who punches a woman go to jail than some keyboard hard man who types trash on a social media site.

I kinda think threatening to kill someone you know, and burn their house down, is infinitely more scary than some anonymous **** on twitter.

But you're the man, stan, you root out these evil doers and maybe everyone will forgive and forget. Oh yeah ... you had or have mental health issues. I suspect those twitter posters that are being so offensive to you are similarly afflicted.

Pedantic_Hibee
22-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Ulrika's a cow anyway....

Discuss.

She's done more lengths than Duncan Goodhew.

snooky
22-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Indeed - (one) had an airport named after him.

... and the other, a strip of land in the Middle East. :coffee:

AngusHibby
22-01-2014, 10:54 PM
He's now having a go at Ulrika on twitter for anyone interested...

Haymaker
23-01-2014, 12:00 AM
... and the other, a strip of land in the Middle East. :coffee:

Oh dear. That is a brilliantly bad joke! :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
23-01-2014, 06:50 AM
Personally, I'd rather see someone who punches a woman go to jail than some keyboard hard man who types trash on a social media site.

I kinda think threatening to kill someone you know, and burn their house down, is infinitely more scary than some anonymous **** on twitter.

But you're the man, stan, you root out these evil doers and maybe everyone will forgive and forget. Oh yeah ... you had or have mental health issues. I suspect those twitter posters that are being so offensive to you are similarly afflicted.

I do not condone any form of violence but The tone (intended or not) of your highlighted comment smacks of Cheap shot - poor form IMO at a time when folks are trying to raise awareness on mental health issues - there's even been threads on this forum about such issues and shouldn't be dismissed so readily.

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2014, 07:45 AM

Yeah okay then :rolleyes:

Jonny1875
23-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Indeed - had an airport named after him.

Remember reading a article in the telegraph at the time that almost 60% of people didn't want it named after him. Really dont see the attraction about Best, he to me was a waste of talent, although I never seen him play because that was well before my time.

Hibernia Na Eir
23-01-2014, 08:18 AM
The easiest solution is to bin Twitter and/or Facebook. Never seen the point in either and seem to only cause issues.

Folk with way too much time on their hands.

heretoday
23-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Stan Collymore would be well advised to suck it up and get on with it.

He uses Twitter - presumably for free - to further his career as motormouth footy broadcaster and must be aware that with the advantages come pitfalls too.

The nasty trolls on the net are really just extensions of the type to be heard yelling viscious insults from the safety of the terraces. We've all heard unbelievable stuff at matches.

The trouble with Stan is he just can't stop drawing attention to himself. He's making a mistake here though.

His gob is bigger than his intelligence.

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2014, 08:48 AM

He uses Twitter - presumably for free - to further his career as motormouth footy broadcaster and must be aware that with the advantages come pitfalls too.

The nasty trolls on the net are really just extensions of the type to be heard yelling viscious insults from the safety of the terraces. We've all heard unbelievable stuff at matches.

The trouble with Stan is he just can't stop drawing attention to himself. He's making a mistake here though.

Yes let's just ignore everything and it will all go away. :rolleyes:

jodjam
23-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Twitter must be a right challenge to SC. If you ever listen to his phone-in he never fails to use a 1000 words when 10 would have sufficed. Trying to condense his musings to under 140 characters must be bloody hard.

ekhibee
23-01-2014, 09:39 AM
The thread was about RACIAL abuse, and I think that Collymore was being subjected to a lot of vile rubbish that, hopefully the perpetrators will be punished for legally. That in no way excuses his behaviour towards his ex-wife because there is no excuse for that either- at any time. As far as football is concerned I've always thought Collymore is articulate and puts his point across well. He actually scored one of the best goals I've ever seen, I think it was against Wimbledon when he was playing for Notts Forrest, when he took the ball from well inside his own half and went past several players, tucking it past the goalkeeper. Never thought he was as good after that, to me his best days were at Notts Forrest, but that's just my opinion.
http://youtu.be/Nz2ZEqWPeWk

machibby
23-01-2014, 01:27 PM

What are you suggesting? That he should find some other career to enable him to avoid racial abuse? Like him or loath him, the guys just trying to do his job.

clerriehibs
23-01-2014, 03:18 PM
I do not condone any form of violence but The tone (intended or not) of your highlighted comment smacks of Cheap shot - poor form IMO at a time when folks are trying to raise awareness on mental health issues - there's even been threads on this forum about such issues and shouldn't be dismissed so readily.

Which was my point. Collymore claimed mental health issues for his own past disgusting behaviour. The signicantly less bad twitter posts are likely to have originated from a similar sufferer ... but the lack of understsanding shown by collymore, ie he has just gone off on one, given his own past is "regrettable".

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Which was my point. Collymore claimed mental health issues for his own past disgusting behaviour. The signicantly less bad twitter posts are likely to have originated from a similar sufferer ... but the lack of understsanding shown by collymore, ie he has just gone off on one, given his own past is "regrettable".

Is that a wild guess?

Viva_Palmeiras
23-01-2014, 04:31 PM

I'm don't know if Stan is an "aspie" but one of the aspects of Aspergers as an example can be lack of empathy - an inability to put themselves in someoneelse's shoes so you point about a "lack of understanding" is just typical of the condition. It's very difficult for folks that haven't seen it up close and personal to know just how this affects people and their relationships it's a hidden disability in a way and at times they just cant help themselves.

Social media for aspies and folks with other conditions must be a minefield. Celebs with conditions should be advised about usage for their own good.

heretoday
23-01-2014, 08:36 PM
What are you suggesting? That he should find some other career to enable him to avoid racial abuse? Like him or loath him, the guys just trying to do his job.

No I'm not and I don't loathe him. He's a guy who talks long and loud that you just put up with or turn off.

But he's operating in an area where emotions run high and crazy people hang out. Most football commentators must get some pretty vile messages but keep the heid because that's the nature of the game, unfortunately.

Goodness, some of the posts on even these hallowed boards border on the psychopathic, especially when the "other lot" are the subject.

machibby
23-01-2014, 09:26 PM
No I'm not and I don't loathe him. He's a guy who talks long and loud that you just put up with or turn off.

But he's operating in an area where emotions run high and crazy people hang out. Most football commentators must get some pretty vile messages but keep the heid because that's the nature of the game, unfortunately.

Goodness, some of the posts on even these hallowed boards border on the psychopathic, especially when the "other lot" are the subject.

Sorry but still dont get your point, you seem to be suggesting that there are areas where racism cant be tackled. 'Keep the heid'?! Dont see how Collymore trying to get twitter to take action on racist abuse and bringing the fact theyre not doing as much as they could into the media has anything but merit. No problems ever solved by giving up or ignoring it.

heretoday
23-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Sorry but still dont get your point, you seem to be suggesting that there are areas where racism cant be tackled. 'Keep the heid'?! Dont see how Collymore trying to get twitter to take action on racist abuse and bringing the fact theyre not doing as much as they could into the media has anything but merit. No problems ever solved by giving up or ignoring it.

Actually, you're absolutely right. Speaking out against hate messages is good.

If Stan's actions have brought closer an end to internet harrassment then fair play to him.

machibby
23-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Actually, you're absolutely right. Speaking out against hate messages is good.

If Stan's actions have brought closer an end to internet harrassment then fair play to him.

Fair play to yourself there

clerriehibs
23-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Is that a wild guess?

Yes.

But you're right; people who threaten to kill on facebook, twitter, any other social media or on their ex-partner's parents' lawn are verrrry unlikely to have mental health issues. And are even more unlikely to hsve hypocritical attitudes.
Bang on.
Rolly eyes emoticon.

While we're all at it, can we stop having a go at hearts fans? Whether they have mental health issues, are overly sensitive or are simply thick, this constant ripping the pish out of them is insensitive and just not Hibs class.

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2014, 06:49 AM
Yes.

But you're right; people who threaten to kill on facebook, twitter, any other social media or on their ex-partner's parents' lawn are verrrry unlikely to have mental health issues. And are even more unlikely to hsve hypocritical attitudes.
Bang on.
Rolly eyes emoticon.

While we're all at it, can we stop having a go at hearts fans? Whether they have mental health issues, are overly sensitive or are simply thick, this constant ripping the pish out of them is insensitive and just not Hibs class.

Lost me in the ramblings I'm afraid.

lapsedhibee
24-01-2014, 07:31 AM

:confused: Who ever said Hearts fans were overly sensitive? Quite the reverse, they've got skins as thick as Mr Romanov's charge sheet.

clerriehibs
24-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Lost me in the ramblings I'm afraid.

Gutted.

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Gutted.

Don't be, I'm not! :greengrin