PDA

View Full Version : Return of the fandans

Twa Cairpets
20-01-2014, 11:15 AM
I thought I'd wait a couple of days to see if i calmed down, but not the case...

After a brief post-Fenlon uplift in mood, Saturday brought out the fandans again in the stands and here.

Now, assuming that the guys who go to game are actual (in their own heads at least) Hibs fans, as opposed to trolls and yams posting on .net, this isnt a post about how being a dick to your own team affects the players (it does), or about "we pay our money and can say what we want" (you can't), or even about "not accepting mediocrity", it's about the unbelievable stupidity of some people (not all, not the majority, just a depressingly loud minority). This isnt just a Hibs thing, but as i go to ER more than anywhere else I'll base my opinion primarily on us.

Things that happened this weekend:
- An old bloke behind me with a expression so sour and malignant that he looked like like he'd been licking p!sh of a nettle for week only ever shouting the most incredible crap at our players. By way of example, I quote: "Harris, you're nuhin but a lazy wee c***". "Collins your'e total *****e f*** off", "Butcher you dinnae ken what youre f****** doing. F** off ya hun c***"". Not one single bit of applause, not a "well done", not even anything when we scored. Serious;y WTF does this guy get out of coming to games.

- Another older boy with I assume his grandson (around 4 or 5), being repeatedly told that "he better not be as sh*** as Maybury when he grows up or he can f*** of and watch Hearts". Great role model there fella.

- A bloke screaming for Forster(I think) to "f****** tackle the c***", when doing so would almost certainly have allowed the striker to skip past him and go to goal. Hasn't the boy heard of jockeying? The job of a defender is not just to win a ball, its to slow attacks down and deny opportunity.

- A guy going ballistic to the point of seizure because the sponsors gave MOTM to Robertson, calling him every useless w****** under the sun because some other people thought he had a no' bad game or wanted to meet him!

I largely avoid .net on Sat or Sun after a defeat because the bile, the relish with which guys slaughter our own club, the rank stupidity and lack of understanding of the laws of the game, the assumption that every player at Hibs must instantly be capable of producing Messi-like performances every week without ever making an error or they are clearly sh*** and need to be emptied as they've had the temerity to produce a less than perfect performance is not good for the soul.

People go to football for different reasons, I understand that, but it surely can't only be me who views the numpties in the stands who use the match as some cathartic exercise within their anger management programme or as a means to complete there weekly quote for abusing other humans who they allegedly support. I can at least ignore the ill-thought out postings of the uber-stupid here, a facility sadly unavailable when sat in your seat at the game.

Before some people (probably rightly) get offended or mount their high-horse as a result of this post, I'm proud to be a Hibby and I'm sure we have the same quota of trumpets as anyone else, and much less than Celtc, Sevco or our soon to be liquidated chums over-by. Equally, ,net has some of the best posters I suspect of any football forum, so this isnt a pop at us in general, its just a blast at the unreconstructed fuds we do, sadly, have amongst us.

Inch Hibs
20-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Football fans in being tosser shocker :greengrin

truehibernian
20-01-2014, 11:19 AM
TC, it's annoying but let's not think it's unique to Hibs.

Motherwell fans phoned 'phone in's' and wanted McCall out after the Albion result - they also wanted him out last season at one point, slated Higdon until he went on a goal spree (even then they hounded him).

I'll wager that Dons fans were having a go at their players on Saturday despite their run.

Danny Lennon and his players were getting pelters last 2 seasons from their own and they won a cup for the first time in years !

I've heard fans at Tynecastle (when invited along :greengrin) slate their youngsters - despite the media and Locke lauding them as brave young guns !

If it annoys you (and it annoys me), start a chant that is positive and/or praise the player they are having a go at - works for me and silences them sharpish.

MyJo
20-01-2014, 11:20 AM
:top marks:

Excellent post and your observations are spot in my experience also

Hank Schrader
20-01-2014, 11:24 AM

You said it.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2014, 11:26 AM
I thought I'd wait a couple of days to see if i calmed down, but not the case...

After a brief post-Fenlon uplift in mood, Saturday brought out the fandans again in the stands and here.

Now, assuming that the guys who go to game are actual (in their own heads at least) Hibs fans, as opposed to trolls and yams posting on .net, this isnt a post about how being a dick to your own team affects the players (it does), or about "we pay our money and can say what we want" (you can't), or even about "not accepting mediocrity", it's about the unbelievable stupidity of some people (not all, not the majority, just a depressingly loud minority). This isnt just a Hibs thing, but as i go to ER more than anywhere else I'll base my opinion primarily on us.

- An old bloke behind me with a expression so sour and malignant that he looked like like he'd been licking p!sh of a nettle for week only ever shouting the most incredible crap at our players. By way of example, I quote: "Harris, you're nuhin but a lazy wee c***". "Collins your'e total *****e f*** off", "Butcher you dinnae ken what youre f****** doing. F** off ya hun c***"". Not one single bit of applause, not a "well done", not even anything when we scored. Serious;y WTF does this guy get out of coming to games.

- Another older boy with I assume his grandson (around 4 or 5), being repeatedly told that "he better not be as sh*** as Maybury when he grows up or he can f*** of and watch Hearts". Great role model there fella.

- A bloke screaming for Forster(I think) to "f****** tackle the c***", when doing so would almost certainly have allowed the striker to skip past him and go to goal. Hasn't the boy heard of jockeying? The job of a defender is not just to win a ball, its to slow attacks down and deny opportunity.

- A guy going ballistic to the point of seizure because the sponsors gave MOTM to Robertson, calling him every useless w****** under the sun because some other people thought he had a no' bad game or wanted to meet him!

I largely avoid .net on Sat or Sun after a defeat because the bile, the relish with which guys slaughter our own club, the rank stupidity and lack of understanding of the laws of the game, the assumption that every player at Hibs must instantly be capable of producing Messi-like performances every week without ever making an error or they are clearly sh*** and need to be emptied as they've had the temerity to produce a less than perfect performance is not good for the soul.

People go to football for different reasons, I understand that, but it surely can't only be me who views the numpties in the stands who use the match as some cathartic exercise within their anger management programme or as a means to complete there weekly quote for abusing other humans who they allegedly support. I can at least ignore the ill-thought out postings of the uber-stupid here, a facility sadly unavailable when sat in your seat at the game.

Before some people (probably rightly) get offended or mount their high-horse as a result of this post, I'm proud to be a Hibby and I'm sure we have the same quota of trumpets as anyone else, and much less than Celtc, Sevco or our soon to be liquidated chums over-by. Equally, ,net has some of the best posters I suspect of any football forum, so this isnt a pop at us in general, its just a blast at the unreconstructed fuds we do, sadly, have amongst us.

I hear ya, bro, I hear ya!

Watching Hibs play badly and lose, is bad enough, but these people make the whole experience unbearable.

stoneyburn hibs
20-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I understand your frustrations TC but as well you know its never gonna change regarding fans at the game, roasters are forever going to roast and you just have to suck it up.

Twa Cairpets
20-01-2014, 11:29 AM
TC, it's annoying but let's not think it's unique to Hibs.

Motherwell fans phoned 'phone in's' and wanted McCall out after the Albion result - they also wanted him out last season at one point, slated Higdon until he went on a goal spree (even then they hounded him).

I'll wager that Dons fans were having a go at their players on Saturday despite their run.

Danny Lennon and his players were getting pelters last 2 seasons from their own and they won a cup for the first time in years !

I've heard fans at Tynecastle (when invited along :greengrin) slate their youngsters - despite the media and Locke lauding them as brave young guns !

If it annoys you (and it annoys me), start a chant that is positive and/or praise the player they are having a go at - works for me and silences them sharpish.

Totally agree - and I specifically said this in the post. There are clubs though that have a different attitude amongst their supports, and generally, for the most part, support regardless of how keech their team is. Palace are a good example at the moment.

Twa Cairpets
20-01-2014, 11:34 AM

So you think that guys being total welts (to use the current in vogue phrase) is not bizarre? Do you ever wonder why they think they have the unassailable right to inflict their moronic, vacuous stupidity on everybody else? Why should it be fine at football? If you stood up in a play and started yelling "You're a f****** sh*** actor - your interpretation of Hamlet is crap" you'd (a) be arrested, (b) viewed as a nutter.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that it'll change anytime soon, but as I get older my tolerance for people glorifying and revelling in their ability to publicise just quite how stupid they are reduces.

Why should I have to put up with some guy shouting abuse at the team I support? If I wanted to to do that I'd go and sit in the South Stand.

jacomo
20-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Totally agree - and I specifically said this in the post. There are clubs though that have a different attitude amongst their supports, and generally, for the most part, support regardless of how keech their team is. Palace are a good example at the moment.

These attitudes are not unique to Hibs but wouldn't it be good if we could improve things?

You are right, this kind of nonsense abuse does absolutely nothing to help the team.

S4uzee
20-01-2014, 11:38 AM
What baffles me is the booing at half-time then the cheering when the team comes out for the second half

Thecat23
20-01-2014, 11:42 AM
What baffles me is the booing at half-time then the cheering when the team comes out for the second half

I know I always think that's weird.

It's like having a screaming match with the wife then applauding her for coming to bed for a ride.

Inch Hibs
20-01-2014, 11:52 AM
So you think that guys being total welts (to use the current in vogue phrase) is not bizarre? Do you ever wonder why they think they have the unassailable right to inflict their moronic, vacuous stupidity on everybody else? Why should it be fine at football? If you stood up in a play and started yelling "You're a f****** sh*** actor - your interpretation of Hamlet is crap" you'd (a) be arrested, (b) viewed as a nutter.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that it'll change anytime soon, but as I get older my tolerance for people glorifying and revelling in their ability to publicise just quite how stupid they are reduces.

Why should I have to put up with some guy shouting abuse at the team I support? If I wanted to to do that I'd go and sit in the South Stand.

I genuinely have no answers to your questions. I would imagine it's built up frustration of wanting the side to do better than we are?

If you don't wish to put up with it tell the guy to chill the beans but it's part an parcel of going to a football match unfortunately.

Ronniekirk
20-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Booing is just a vocal way of expressing how a certain part of the support found that performance .unacceptable it's a natural human response .it would. be more puzzling if we had cheered them off and then booed them back on . The vile personal abuse of players is unacceptable but rooted as original poster said in those individuals need to express anger in that way .Do they go home and shout at there families like that ? or is it a cathartic release ,that actually helps them go home and feel better .?

I can certainly get frustrated but tend to express it as a collective, like come on hibs we can do better than this, even if it is one player that is making the same mistakes.

Ronniekirk
20-01-2014, 11:56 AM

It's like having a screaming match with the wife then applauding her for coming to bed for a ride.
Naw at least in the scenario you have depicted you know you are going to score .when hibs come out you have no guarantee of that

Thecat23
20-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Naw at least in the scenario you have depicted you know you are going to score .when hibs come out you have no guarantee of that

Well yeah I suppose your right :D

Jack
They need to be challenged.

I suggest we all take along yellow and red cards to show to these alleged supporters. A passive way of showing our displeasure.

truehibernian

Mmmmmm not with my ex missus Ronnie.......towards the end of our relationship I had a worse scoring record that Valdas f***ing Trakys and Daryl Duffy combined on that front :greengrin :rolleyes:

Marty-Hibee
20-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Where do you sit? Because I could do with sitting next to someone like you! Couldn't agree with what you say more. The knee jerk reactions on here can be brutal, but sitting at Easter Road when we're playing poorly/getting beat is a tough effort. Like you've said, I dunno what these folk get out of abusing our players to the point they might take a heart attack at any moment, sheer strain in their faces.

Don't get me wrong, a few players have been on the received end of my voice once or twice, but on the whole I can assess and summarise what I'm actually watching, which is more than can be said for an, again quote from you, "loud minority".

Folk need to chill out, I'm confident Butch has us going in the right direction.

Twa Cairpets
20-01-2014, 12:08 PM
I genuinely have no answers to your questions. I would imagine it's built up frustration of wanting the side to do better than we are?

If you don't wish to put up with it tell the guy to chill the beans but it's part an parcel of going to a football match unfortunately.

This is correct. That said, lots of other things were part and parcel of going to a game as well. Being herded like cattle onto unsafe terracing, for example, or racist shouting. just because it is now doesn't mean that it always should be.

I do occasionally explode at people - but I equally don't want to get into a slagging match with a knuckle dragging tool or a boy with his grandson.

Its a collective thing.

As for the frustration argument, maybe, yes, on some occasions, but permanent stupidity, and it is simply that - stupidity - comes from somewhere else. If it was frustration you'd see or hear a reaction when we do well a the frustration is lifted, but I genuinely think these guys get more of their jollies when we do badly, and that is just bizarre. When you look at .net, you see the same posters appear with almost unseemly haste when we lose, clearly loving the opportunity to slag off the team, the fans, the club, Petrie, the turnstiles, the shop, the number of pie servers - anything as long as its negative. These posters are generally conspicuous by their absence when something goes right.

Ronniekirk
20-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Mmmmmm not with my ex missus Ronnie.......towards the end of our relationship I had a worse scoring record that Valdas f***ing Trakys and Daryl Duffy combined on that front :greengrin :rolleyes:
Geeze not even an own goal :confused:

Ronniekirk
20-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Where do you sit? Because I could do with sitting next to someone like you! Couldn't agree with what you say more. The knee jerk reactions on here can be brutal, but sitting at Easter Road when we're playing poorly/getting beat is a tough effort. Like you've said, I dunno what these folk get out of abusing our players to the point they might take a heart attack at any moment, sheer strain in their faces.

Don't get me wrong, a few players have been on the received end of my voice once or twice, but on the whole I can assess and summarise what I'm actually watching, which is more than can be said for an, again quote from you, "loud minority".

Folk need to chill out, I'm confident Butch has us going in the right direction.
Maybe we need to ask the club to set aside an area where fans can buy tickets and know they are going to have to listen to this .anyone reported for abusing players would get moved out .its least club could do if people feel that strongly about it

Craig_in_Prague
20-01-2014, 12:16 PM
What do these fans do we have to watch players like Zibi, Makalamby, Murdock, Hart, Zarabi etc... and other stinkers ?

Loud mouthed neanderthals.

truehibernian
20-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Geeze not even an own goal :confused:

Nope not even that - ended up perfecting the art of simulation :greengrin

Reaper
20-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Im not sure why an older guy would act like that but I sometimes forgive the younger ones......mainly as I used (I stress used to be) one of the ********s you're referring to. Id pitch up at a game, vent my anger at everything from the ref to petrie and back again. I even used to go daft about other fans celebrating goals. I mean how ridiculous.......then one day I completely changed after watching someone behave like I used to, reducing kids to tears by berating everything Hibs, swearing to an outrageous degree and generally just looking to spoil the game for everything and everyone within a 5 mile radius. I also used to use the phrase 'I pay my money I can do/say what I like'. I was never violent or challenged anyone to fight(thankfully) but I was a complete ********(probably still am most of the time) and I used football as an excuse to behave like this. Yhen as I say the light switched on upstairs and I realised my behaviour wasunacceptable, I enjoyed the game more when I actually watched it, I rsalised that other people pay their money too and have the right to enjoy the game in peace without me ruining it...........Im not saying Im a saint, I still have a rant but its controlled and directed appropriately.

Twa Cairpets
20-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Maybe we need to ask the club to set aside an area where fans can buy tickets and know they are going to have to listen to this .anyone reported for abusing players would get moved out .its least club could do if people feel that strongly about it

I dont know if this is serious or not, but if its is, no I actually don't agree. The idea of having an enforced "happy section" is pretty appalling also.

Marty-Hibee
20-01-2014, 12:25 PM
I dont know if this is serious or not, but if its is, no I actually don't agree. The idea of having an enforced "happy section" is pretty appalling also.

I can understand the idea behind it, but I wouldn't go with it either, although I wouldn't say it's appalling. I take a perverse enjoyment listening to these folk at times, but at the end of the day, it's just the nature of some people, and it's not often going to change (Reaper, you being an exception it would seem). I'm generally laid back in all aspects in life, to the point of lazy, so I probably just can't be bothered abusing the team!

Hibbyradge
20-01-2014, 12:25 PM
it's a natural human response .

I don't disagree with the general thrust of your post, (apart from the random full stops), but booing in not a natural human response. :greengrin

3pm
20-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Nothing wrong with that. It was probably her fault.

Groathillgrump
20-01-2014, 12:38 PM
One guy who sits a few rows behind us at Easter Road goes bright red with anger, his face contorted with rage as he spits his bile at whoever he feels is the weak link in the side at each game. Half expect him to keel over with a heart attack every week!

Hearing abuse being screamed at our own players isn't helpful (even if they deserve to be screamed at) but I suppose the guys who do that are better channeling their anger at a fitba' match rather than doing it at home, in the street or in the pub. As others have said, it's all part and parcel of being at a game but I wish we'd reserve the abuse for our opponents and get behind our own players even if they're having a bad game.

Mikey09
20-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Top Post my friend. I find this very frustrating unfortunately doing something about it??. I have no idea.. I made a witty comment towards one old guy who had been verbally abusing a Hibs player and he, along with 3 or 4 others started venting at myself. On leaving the stadium I was threatened and spat upon, which my 15 year old daughter witnessed. And that my friend was for a wee, witty comment. So good luck anyone who wants to shout these "supporters" down.

If you want to experience a crackin family atmosphere get along to watch the Edinburgh Capitals Ice Hockey team at Murrayfield on most Sunday evenings. No eye popping, lunatics screaming abuse at there OWN TEAM!!! Agreat night out.

:flag:

Brightside
20-01-2014, 12:54 PM
If you know where they were sitting please inform the club. They should be banned for life.

Hero76
20-01-2014, 01:02 PM
The roasters were out in force on saturday. Hopefully there not there or sitting next to me on sunday.

GlenrothesHibee
20-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Thats football now a days. Its taken the enjoyment right out of it for me. The Its no wonder some folk would rather watch games on tv

Thecat23
20-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Top Post my friend. I find this very frustrating unfortunately doing something about it??. I have no idea.. I made a witty comment towards one old guy who had been verbally abusing a Hibs player and he, along with 3 or 4 others started venting at myself. On leaving the stadium I was threatened and spat upon, which my 15 year old daughter witnessed. And that my friend was for a wee, witty comment. So good luck anyone who wants to shout these "supporters" down.

If you want to experience a crackin family atmosphere get along to watch the Edinburgh Capitals Ice Hockey team at Murrayfield on most Sunday evenings. No eye popping, lunatics screaming abuse at there OWN TEAM!!! Agreat night out.

That's shocking they spat at you and more shocking doing it when you are with you're daughter. Who the **** do these clowns think they are? If that was me I'd have taken a swing at him mate. I'd happily take the ban as well if someone gobbed on me in front of my son. Guys like that need a kicking and I don't care who this offends but some folk need a skelp.

Mikey09
20-01-2014, 01:16 PM
If you know where they were sitting please inform the club. They should be banned for life.

I wont lie, I dont get to watch Hibs as often as I would like to, due to being involved in coaching still. This happened at the Malmo game and we didnt go back for a long time. I see it as a complete one off asI know, and used to get a great laugh with other supporters sitting around us. Ive been to watch loads of other sports, golf, Rugby, Tennis and for the past few years Ice Hockey. This seems to be a Football issue as I have never witnessed supporters at these other sports verbally abusing players, officials and fellow supporters the way these guys do, and think its fine to do so. Its incredible.

Mikey09
20-01-2014, 01:21 PM
That's shocking they spat at you and more shocking doing it when you are with you're daughter. Who the **** do these clowns think they are? If that was me I'd have taken a swing at him mate. I'd happily take the ban as well if someone gobbed on me in front of my son. Guys like that need a kicking and I don't care who this offends but some folk need a skelp.

To be honest mate we just got out of there ASAP. You dont expect things like this to happen when you go to watch your team, but you live and learn. Whenever we get along now we watch the game and I say nowt to anyone venting there spleen!!! :aok:

B.H.F.C
20-01-2014, 01:21 PM
It's not unique to Hibs.

I was down at Old Trafford last month and a lot of them were getting rather upset. That's after 4 or 5 months of dodgy results. Hibs fans have put up with a lot and the majority of it is frustration. There is no need for arguing with fellow supporters abusing each other etc but if folk are ranting at what they are watching then so be it. It's just part and parcel of the game.

In times where we struggle to attract 10k most weeks I don't personally agree with all this stuff about people who get a bit angry being 'so called supporters' and comments about they should stay away etc.

Hibercelona
20-01-2014, 01:27 PM
I like how when a thread like this appears, everybody flocks together to join the perfect fan brigade.

Truth is, most of you who have posted in this thread calling other fans roasters, would have been booing yourselves at half time. So get off it.

Ronniekirk
20-01-2014, 01:27 PM
I don't disagree with the general thrust of your post, (apart from the random full stops), but booing in not a natural human response. :greengrin

Its a sound uttered to show contempt .:confused:

Hibbyradge
20-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Its a sound uttered to show contempt .:confused:

Indeed it is, but it's not a natural human response.

It's a learned response, it's a choice.

Forget it. I'm being pedantic.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2014, 01:35 PM
I like how when a thread like this appears, everybody flocks together to join the perfect fan brigade.

Truth is, most of you who have posted in this thread calling other fans roasters, would have been booing yourselves at half time. So get off it.

That's not the truth, though.

And it's not what the OP is about.

erin go bragh
20-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Id say the booing at halftime was well deserved after the first half no show , but shouting personal abuse at your own players is totally out of order .
So you get off it .

Ggtth

hibee_girl
20-01-2014, 01:38 PM
It doesn't normally bother me too much at games tbh but Saturday was my breaking point. The guy in front of me was slating every single player, Maybury was too old to play, Stevenson an imposter, Collins a joke etc.

We got into a 'discussion' and apparently I'm not allowed an opinion because he's been going to games longer than I have.

He left at half time

Twa Cairpets
20-01-2014, 01:38 PM

Point missed spectacularly, and interpreted to suit you own view.
Nothing said about uber fans, or indeed the majority of fans. Just the trumpets.

Brightside
20-01-2014, 01:39 PM

Nothing wrong with booing. Especially after the lack of effort in the first half. Personally i think McGivern is a shocking player but i dont spend my time screaming abuse at him.

Mikey09
20-01-2014, 01:48 PM
It's not unique to Hibs.

I was down at Old Trafford last month and a lot of them were getting rather upset. That's after 4 or 5 months of dodgy results. Hibs fans have put up with a lot and the majority of it is frustration. There is no need for arguing with fellow supporters abusing each other etc but if folk are ranting at what they are watching then so be it. It's just part and parcel of the game.

In times where we struggle to attract 10k most weeks I don't personally agree with all this stuff about people who get a bit angry being 'so called supporters' and comments about they should stay away etc.

Your spot on, its not unique to hibs. In my opinion its football in general. Its like some supporters think they have the right to behave this way. Grown men acting like complete lunatics if a player mis-places a pass, or misses a chance. Sometimes it really doesnt matter how well certain players play they will still be "*****", "murder", "useless" etc.... Can it be enjoyable getting that worked up over it??

Mikey09
20-01-2014, 01:52 PM

Not to join the "perfect fan brigade".... to join the "normal person brigade".

Elephant Stone
20-01-2014, 01:52 PM

'Didn't read the post' brigade.

Glesgahibby
20-01-2014, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Mikey09;3877111]Top Post my friend. I find this very frustrating unfortunately doing something about it??. I have no idea.. I made a witty comment towards one old guy who had been verbally abusing a Hibs player and he, along with 3 or 4 others started venting at myself. On leaving the stadium I was threatened and spat upon, which my 15 year old daughter witnessed. And that my friend was for a wee, witty comment. So good luck anyone who wants to shout these "supporters" down.

If you want to experience a crackin family atmosphere get along to watch the Edinburgh Capitals Ice Hockey team at Murrayfield on most Sunday evenings. No eye popping, lunatics screaming abuse at there OWN TEAM!!! Agreat night outQUOTE]
My daughter is thirteen,she has been to three Hibs games and I explain to her football is about "expression"and"passion"she tells me it's about "commitment"and"support".....,
how do you answere that when ?when you can't have one without the other

Ronniekirk
20-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Indeed it is, but it's not a natural human response.

It's a learned response, it's a choice.

Forget it. I'm being pedantic.

Point accepted.:agree:

Mikey09
20-01-2014, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=Mikey09;3877111]Top Post my friend. I find this very frustrating unfortunately doing something about it??. I have no idea.. I made a witty comment towards one old guy who had been verbally abusing a Hibs player and he, along with 3 or 4 others started venting at myself. On leaving the stadium I was threatened and spat upon, which my 15 year old daughter witnessed. And that my friend was for a wee, witty comment. So good luck anyone who wants to shout these "supporters" down.

If you want to experience a crackin family atmosphere get along to watch the Edinburgh Capitals Ice Hockey team at Murrayfield on most Sunday evenings. No eye popping, lunatics screaming abuse at there OWN TEAM!!! Agreat night outQUOTE]
My daughter is thirteen,she has been to three Hibs games and I explain to her football is about "expression"and"passion"she tells me it's about "commitment"and"support".....,
how do you answere that when ?when you can't have one without the other

A person can be just as committed and supportive without screaming abuse till they are on the verge of cardiac failure. In fact I would say supporters who indulge in these extreme ways would not get the same respect. My opinion.... :aok:

down-the-slope
20-01-2014, 02:05 PM
I have to say that those around us used to have fair number of the type mentioned in OP.....but recently there has been far more old style 'Gallows humour' when things have not been working out due probably to a few being challenged about their more extreme outburts and a bit of applauding / support of the more humorous outbursts ... it sure makes for a better match experience

Nobody gets enjoyment when it feels like you are seated in the middle of a Tourettes convention

Speedway
20-01-2014, 02:06 PM
As part of the non-brigaded brigade, I recall a game against ICT in what I think was the Mixu tenure. A fight kicked off in the west lower as to (I kid you not) who was the crappest in the Hibs side. The argument was actually a disagreement on who was the most ****** in our side.

Contrast that with the Mowbray era when we had some absolute theatre in defence but sat in the South (because tickets were flying off the shelves back then) nobody said anything about it, admiring as they were, the football on show.

In summary then, put quality on the park and the abnormals mostly shut up.

Failing that, get a Sect 43 enforcer team and tool them up to carry out martial law on anyone being seen/heard to be a roaster. That would quieten everything down very quickly.

Mikey09
20-01-2014, 02:17 PM
As part of the non-brigaded brigade, I recall a game against ICT in what I think was the Mixu tenure. A fight kicked off in the west lower as to (I kid you not) who was the crappest in the Hibs side. The argument was actually a disagreement on who was the most ****** in our side.

Contrast that with the Mowbray era when we had some absolute theatre in defence but sat in the South (because tickets were flying off the shelves back then) nobody said anything about it, admiring as they were, the football on show.

In summary then, put quality on the park and the abnormals mostly shut up.

Failing that, get a Sect 43 enforcer team and tool them up to carry out martial law on anyone being seen/heard to be a roaster. That would quieten everything down very quickly.

Correct in every sense!!! Still think there would be some abnormals, as you eloquently put it, moaning about something.... :thumbsup:

silverhibee
20-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Stadium announcer. "and today's MOTM is Scott Robertson" all i heard was folk laughing where i was sitting.

Keep saying it but i must be very lucky where i sit as i very seldom hear the fandans screaming abuse at our players, plenty of abuse was directed at the ref and Goodwin during the game and then at the end when the buddie player started noising folk up in the East.

Pretty sure it has been mentioned on here that Butcher "was screaming at the players at half time" is he a fandan. :cb

Glesgahibby
20-01-2014, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=Glesgahibby;3877193]

A person can be just as committed and supportive without screaming abuse till they are on the verge of cardiac failure. In fact I would say supporters who indulge in these extreme ways would not get the same respect. My opinion.... :aok:
Correct !!!
I bite and I defend my team with an anger I cannot explain,when anyone mocks them!!!!!
I cringe when I hear abuse from anyone let alone our own,when our team is slated !!!!
But I know the frustration and I know the disappointment when things go Pete tong !!!!
as johnny said "anger is an energy"and one day that anger will energise and our support will have there day !!!!!!!!:agree:

SeanWilson
20-01-2014, 02:25 PM

That is horrendous mate. I don't know how i would react to that and i hope you have been able to return to ER.

Every week i find myself making a 'witty' comment towards some trumpet shouting complete unnecessary abuse at one of our own. I am all for having an opinion and giving it your all when you are at the game, however some of the utter nonsense that comes out of peoples mouths is just untenable.

down-the-slope
20-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Stadium announcer. "and today's MOTM is Scott Robertson" all i heard was folk laughing where i was sitting.

:agree: and loud references to the volume of sponsors product consumed etc....but this kind of humour IS a great part of football...

Mikey09
20-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Keep saying it but i must be very lucky where i sit as i very seldom hear the fandans screaming abuse at our players, plenty of abuse was directed at the ref and Goodwin during the game and then at the end when the buddie player started noising folk up in the East.

Pretty sure it has been mentioned on here that Butcher "was screaming at the players at half time" is he a fandan. :cb

Is that last sentance a wind up??:confused:

flash
20-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Nothing wrong with booing. Especially after the lack of effort in the first half. Personally i think McGivern is a shocking player but i dont spend my time screaming abuse at him.

Think we saw how shocking McGivern is when he had to go off on Saturday.

silverhibee
20-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Correct in every sense!!! Still think there would be some abnormals, as you eloquently put it, moaning about something.... :thumbsup:

Like the seats in the dug-out not having the proper material over them. :greengrin

silverhibee
20-01-2014, 02:52 PM
:agree: and loud references to the volume of sponsors product consumed etc....but this kind of humour IS a great part of football...

:agree: :greengrin

"are they on drugs" was comment directed at the hospitality from a guy behind me. :tee hee:

Saorsa
20-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Nothing wrong with booing. Especially after the lack of effort in the first half. Personally i think McGivern is a shocking player but i dont spend my time screaming abuse at him.We've looked a lot better with him than we did on Saturday without him. Just like there are folk who think Hanlon isnae very good, though they've been very quiet recently. Boy did we miss him on Saturday.

I've never seen the point in hurling abuse at your own players, thankfully it isnae too bad where I sit.

I've learnt it's best tae avoid this place for at least a day efter a defeat as well, it's brutal. http://i42.tinypic.com/21dn09s.gif

Kato
20-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Roasters post.

judas
20-01-2014, 05:37 PM
sorry but that was 10 paragraphs about bears defecating in the woods.

The post will make no difference.

Hedlund12
20-01-2014, 06:11 PM

TC, I feel your pain and couldn't agree more with your post.

A few weeks ago a similar thread was raised "My ears are bleeding..." some good suggestions were made and Gogs43:
raised some of the ideas at a get-together with Hibs management at the Hibs Club. Follow up notes were posted but can't honestly remember what the outcome/feedback was.
I recently moved my ST seats because I endured many of the experiences described in your post... it took the sting out of my enjoyment of attending ER and supporting my team...

One Day Soon
20-01-2014, 06:51 PM

I think you might be doing it wrong....

Wait though, is it like a minute's respect applause or more of an applause that punctuates a chant?

Stantons Angel
20-01-2014, 06:52 PM
i understand your points of view and why you felt the need to bring this to the board. People like this spoil your game and you cant always block them out of your mind.

Over the years i too have had experience of random punters around me using foul language, rude gestures and shouting abuse at players ours and the opposition. I had three of these sort of chaps, who i thought were respectable young/older men, sitting in front of me who regularly got on my goat with their antics!

Then there was a couple of them behind me too who used to let rip at the slightest thing that upset them and one used to give my hair a regular wash doing so.

Yet when i started singing, to myself, when i was bored i got told to shut up?

Hardly fair is it? I wonder where these chaps are now?

One Day Soon
20-01-2014, 08:10 PM
I also meant to say TC that the title of this thread would be a great name for the next Star Wars film that Disney are currently making.

Inch Hibs
20-01-2014, 08:12 PM
I think everyone who hadn't read this thread will from now on assume its a thread on Skacel and Hartley.

Billy Whizz
20-01-2014, 08:14 PM
You know what, I never see or hear fandans at away games? Is it an ER thing, or are they not allowed out of Edinburgh?

AngusHibby
20-01-2014, 08:18 PM
Return of the thread complaining about fandans/roasters/walk up fans. Nothings going to change, every club has them. Get over it

Tinribs
20-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Return of the thread complaining about fandans/roasters/walk up fans. Nothings going to change, every club has them. Get over it

No-one on the thread has even mentioned walk up fans.

NAE NOOKIE
20-01-2014, 08:36 PM
I never go on a rant at our own players, but I admit I can get carried away a bit at the opposition fans and players and the ref of course. I usually keep it to a minmum if I can though. Theres a couple of lads with a wee boy who sit in front of me and on Saturday I apologised to the wee lad after I swore at Goodwin ..... " woops, parden ma French wee man " A few minutes later one of the lads with the wee boy swore worse than I did, which made me laugh.

Anyway ..... the acme of ranting, totally lost it frothing at the mouth Hibbies in my years of attending was at Hampden against Falkirk after the third goal went in .... folk were going apoplectic.

Mikey09 ............. Thats an utter disgrace mate I cant believe folk would treat a fellow Hibby ( or anybody for that matter ) like that, cant express how angry I am for you and your daughter ........ banning for lifes too bloody good for them. In spite of the flagrant abuse of the term by the club at times I really do like to think that as Hibbies we do all share a common bond which brings us together ... if not as family then at least as mates ..... you dont treat your mates like that dammit !!!

Twa Cairpets
20-01-2014, 08:42 PM

You didn't actually read the post, did you?

Twa Cairpets
20-01-2014, 08:49 PM
i understand your points of view and why you felt the need to bring this to the board. People like this spoil your game and you cant always block them out of your mind.

Over the years i too have had experience of random punters around me using foul language, rude gestures and shouting abuse at players ours and the opposition. I had three of these sort of chaps, who i thought were respectable young/older men, sitting in front of me who regularly got on my goat with their antics!

Then there was a couple of them behind me too who used to let rip at the slightest thing that upset them and one used to give my hair a regular wash doing so.

Yet when i started singing, to myself, when i was bored i got told to shut up?

Hardly fair is it? I wonder where these chaps are now?
I suspect these fine young men were tolerant, decent types who were driven to distraction by an awful drone reminiscent of the sound a strangled calf may make...
But the point stands - back in day around where we sat in the East it wasn't a constant tirade against Hibs, and with the occasional exception of the man with the largest vocabulary of expletives on the planet, who at least varied his vitriolic outbursts (at oposition) wasn't totally, mundanely stupid, was it?

Stantons Angel
20-01-2014, 09:56 PM
I suspect these fine young men were tolerant, decent types who were driven to distraction by an awful drone reminiscent of the sound a strangled calf may make...
But the point stands - back in day around where we sat in the East it wasn't a constant tirade against Hibs, and with the occasional exception of the man with the largest vocabulary of expletives on the planet, who at least varied his vitriolic outbursts (at oposition) wasn't totally, mundanely stupid, was it?

i knew you would come back with something like that!

Nothing like the abuse of our own players would have been tolerated then. We moaned (not my singing) when we had to but we never constantly got on the backs of our own players.

Folk beside us came to support the team not continually barrack them game after game. People seem to accept this sort of thing as normal at Easter Road.

You just have to read through the player interviews in the media and see how this sort of treatment does affect the players confidence and performance.

If these people come to a game with that attitude they would be better staying in the bookie shops and shouting at their horses on the tv instead of sapping the energy of others around them.

Sometimes i think they don't realise the detrimental effect they have on the atmosphere at games. No wonder i used to sing!!!

AngusHibby
20-01-2014, 10:22 PM
No-one on the thread has even mentioned walk up fans.
I was meaning that people are always looking to complain about certain fans when its pointless

sleeping giant
20-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Not read the thread but I moved seat due to a complete Erse sitting behind me in the FF lower.
He would suddenly go mental and spit all over me and the folk around me while trying to articulate his disgust at a moment on the pitch. A few folk has a word but it didn't work. He was just like that. A headcase in there for the cheaper seats.
Ended up moving next to an auld moany bass who just moans about everything but its better than getting gobbed on :-) The twat would sometimes notice and would try to rub it off !
Takes all sorts :-)

Jonnyboy
20-01-2014, 10:26 PM

You dinnae half spraff 5hite at times

clerriehibs
20-01-2014, 10:33 PM
You dinnae half spraff 5hite at times

oooh that's approaching a hidden 5-1 .... are you a yam? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
20-01-2014, 10:35 PM
oooh that's approaching a hidden 5-1 .... are you a yam? :greengrin

Bu66er it, I've been rumbled :greengrin

kdhibees1
20-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Scary what a home win on a coupon can do to people!!! :cb

brianmc
20-01-2014, 10:53 PM
I've got a mate who definitely falls into the fandan category. On the rare occasion we bang a couple of goals in he celebrates like we all do.... BUT, if we go a single goal down in a game it's all that ****ing ***** Petrie's fault, the penny pinching ****ing ****er that he is!! Taking OOR season ticket money (*he hasn't had a season ticket for years) and wasting it on they useless pricks etc etc etc
I'm quite glad he's stopped going now cos he winds me up more than a ****** result does

--------
20-01-2014, 10:57 PM

Totally agree with you, TC. There's no enjoyment at all trying to watch even a game of whatever standard, whatever the score, if you have to tolerate these foul-mouthed foghorns "venting" at the players throughout the game.

Every one of the examples you mention could (should!) have been removed from the ground and charged with breach of the peace. It's totally unacceptable to behave like that where there are young children around, and for a grandfather to treat his grandson the way he was doing is just awful.

I have a cousin in Canada. On one occasion my son was over and James took him to na NHL game (Maple Leafs). He could not believe it when I remarked in an email that my son had been impressed with the behaviour of the hockey fans - so much more reasonable and responsible than football fans in Scotland. He said it was the first time he'd ever read an email with the words "hockey fans", "good behaviour", "reasonable", and "responsible" all in the same sentence. He was even more bemused when I replied describing the sort of behaviour you're describing in your OP. "Why would they behave like that?" he asked. "Don't they go to matches to encourage their team?" Answers - "I don't know" and "apparently not".

These people are a menace, and there have been times when I've almost found myself hoping that the beetroot-faced gutter-mouth next me would just have his heart-attack and leave the rest of us in peace. But that's not right either.

:dunno:

Jonnyboy
20-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Totally agree with you, TC. There's no enjoyment at all trying to watch even a game of whatever standard, whatever the score, if you have to tolerate these foul-mouthed foghorns "venting" at the players throughout the game.

Every one of the examples you mention could (should!) have been removed from the ground and charged with breach of the peace. It's totally unacceptable to behave like that where there are young children around, and for a grandfather to treat his grandson the way he was doing is just awful.

I have a cousin in Canada. On one occasion my son was over and James took him to na NHL game (Maple Leafs). He could not believe it when I remarked in an email that my son had been impressed with the behaviour of the hockey fans - so much more reasonable and responsible than football fans in Scotland. He said it was the first time he'd ever read an email with the words "hockey fans", "good behaviour", "reasonable", and "responsible" all in the same sentence. He was even more bemused when I replied describing the sort of behaviour you're describing in your OP. "Why would they behave like that?" he asked. "Don't they go to matches to encourage their team?" Answers - "I don't know" and "apparently not".

These people are a menace, and there have been times when I've almost found myself hoping that the beetroot-faced gutter-mouth next me would just have his heart-attack and leave the rest of us in peace. But that's not right either.

:dunno:

Doddie. Apparently folk like yourself, TC and I just need to 'get over it' :wink:

Thecat23
20-01-2014, 11:12 PM
I also meant to say TC that the title of this thread would be a great name for the next Star Wars film that Disney are currently making.

Haha, that's ace :D

Imagine the trailer for it now, "In a galaxy far, far away screaming men descend on one place, EASTER ROAD", slow mo of man screaming at Stevenson then slowly cuts back and the voice over guy with husky voice saying "who will be chief Fandan watch in cinemas now to find out."

AngusHibby
20-01-2014, 11:30 PM
To clear up my point, I don't enjoy listening to these people shouting abuse at the players, but what can you realistically do about it? I swear we have a thread like this every couple of months and it just seems pointless and yes I do think people should just "get over it". cheers for the indirect response :wink:

Bronson
20-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Guy who sits in front of me just shouts abuse at anything he can think of, relevant or not. It's absolutely brutal to listen to, to the point where I'm considering moving seat next season. He's brought a few of his mates recently as well who are just as bad. Been tempted to say something a few times but it's not something worth causing a scene over. Really does make the game less enjoyable though when you're surrounded by idiots like that.

I'm_cabbaged
21-01-2014, 05:29 AM
It's that bad that after the third goal I decided to leave before the vitriol rained down from the stands. It had nothing to do with my laddie saying "**** this I'm going for a pint, you coming?", honest.

Brightside
21-01-2014, 08:09 AM
We've looked a lot better with him than we did on Saturday without him. Just like there are folk who think Hanlon isnae very good, though they've been very quiet recently. Boy did we miss him on Saturday.

I've never seen the point in hurling abuse at your own players, thankfully it isnae too bad where I sit.

I've learnt it's best tae avoid this place for at least a day efter a defeat as well, it's brutal. http://i42.tinypic.com/21dn09s.gif

I dont doubt that we struggled when he went off but that was down to us losing even more of our shape. Hanlon was a massive loss and our defence was all over the place with two right footed played as CHs. McGiverns only contribution in his 5 mins was to somehow take a free header which just needed cushioning and played in front yet somehow ended up in the dugout.

Brizo
21-01-2014, 08:42 AM
All seater stadiums and the fact most regular attenders now have STs means fandan avoidance is nowadays more or less impossible. To use a phrase I hate, back in the day, you could just move to a different bit of the terracing if you were standing beside a tube... and there were just as many then as there are now.

in Lawrie Reillys autobiography he tells of him and ET getting pelters at the height of the FF era. Jim Black got it during the Tornadoes era. Benny Brazil, Joe T and Brian Hamilton often got boo'd before ko when the teamsheets were read out. When I sat in the west during the Mowbray era a guy behind constantly shouted negative tourettes style p@sh despite us playing our best fitba, arguably since the Tornadoes. I lost the plot with him one week and for a couple of games he was okay... but long term he couldn't stop himself.

Its always been the way and it always will. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that we have our fair share of morons and angry men who use the fitba as a vehicle to vent their frustrations.

down-the-slope
21-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Fan Dan Muffs - for a Fan Dan Free ER Experience... rentable at turnstyles via a second self scan vending machine (*please do not utilise this service if your inability to scan a barcode is likely to cause increased queuing)

Multi channel broadcasts featuring at these channel numbers

Ross banging his drum - not recommended after heavy nights out
Sect 43 greatest hits on revolving loop - please check with those seated around you if joining in bouncing is acceptable
60s/70s Hibs Terrace hits - please do not get lost in the nostalgia and p**h on the person seated in front
Birdsong - please do not use this channel if prone to snoring
Hibs TV commentary - please refrain from impersonating Boozy while listening
Fan Dan Fest - selection of the most outrageous random Tourettes style outbursts......oooppppsss bugger

Mikey09
21-01-2014, 05:13 PM
I never go on a rant at our own players, but I admit I can get carried away a bit at the opposition fans and players and the ref of course. I usually keep it to a minmum if I can though. Theres a couple of lads with a wee boy who sit in front of me and on Saturday I apologised to the wee lad after I swore at Goodwin ..... " woops, parden ma French wee man " A few minutes later one of the lads with the wee boy swore worse than I did, which made me laugh.

Anyway ..... the acme of ranting, totally lost it frothing at the mouth Hibbies in my years of attending was at Hampden against Falkirk after the third goal went in .... folk were going apoplectic.

Mikey09 ............. Thats an utter disgrace mate I cant believe folk would treat a fellow Hibby ( or anybody for that matter ) like that, cant express how angry I am for you and your daughter ........ banning for lifes too bloody good for them. In spite of the flagrant abuse of the term by the club at times I really do like to think that as Hibbies we do all share a common bond which brings us together ... if not as family then at least as mates ..... you dont treat your mates like that dammit !!!

Going back to what someone else posted, a lot of the time its such trivial incidents that set these people off.. The incident we were involved in is thankfully very rare. We had endured this moron the entire match (as well as getting truly horsed by Malmo!!) and I said "where's Eric Cantona when you need him?" Which I thought at the time was quite funny....... After that I will never say anything to these people again. I wish we could get away from this kind of moronic behaviour at football but I wont hold my breath.....:lips seal

Islington Hibs
21-01-2014, 05:13 PM
On our day we are great. Cup Final, Hearts games a few weeks back. However the antisocial behaviour of a few really spoils it. Football is a raw experience and it would lose a lot without emotions but the habitual abuse of players is not on. I know for a fact it is a reason some people with young children do not go. I can understand why. I really think Hibs need to do something about it with those who cross the line first warned then asked to leave.

lEXO
21-01-2014, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=Hibercelona;3877153]I like how when a thread like this appears, everybody flocks together to join the perfect fan brigade.

Truth is, most of you who have posted in this thread calling other fans roasters, would have been booing yourselves at half time. So get off it.[/QUOTE

You really are a dafty like......

basehibby
21-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Totally in tune with Twa Cairpets' OP here - these trumpets get right on my thrupennys - what REALLY f*&%in annoys me as well is the hackney'd pish they always trot out when criticised for their verbal daihorea - usually along the lines of "I pay my money and I can say what I want" - well here's some news for any trumpets reading in - we ALL pay our money and are also entitled to our own opinions so please forgive us if we decide to shout SHUT THE **** UP YOU ERSOLE straight in your shell-like at high decibels next time you impart your "wisdom and guidance" to a Hibs player and anyone else within 100 yds at ER.

RIP
21-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Totally in tune with Twa Cairpets' OP here - these trumpets get right on my thrupennys - what REALLY f*&%in annoys me as well is the hackney'd pish they always trot out when criticised for their verbal daihorea - usually along the lines of "I pay my money and I can say what I want" - well here's some news for any trumpets reading in - we ALL pay our money and are also entitled to our own opinions so please forgive us if we decide to shout SHUT THE **** UP YOU ERSOLE straight in your shell-like at high decibels next time you impart your "wisdom and guidance" to a Hibs player and anyone else within 100 yds at ER.

This in a nutshell. The odd booing after a half-hearted performance is understnandable. As is berating an individual player for a noticeable lack of effort.

But shouting unacceptable abuse at my team? No way!
Spoiling my day out with my kids, friends and relatives at not inconsiderable expense. Not acceptable!
Mr witless daftie screaming his personal opinions at the top of his voice? Go - do one!

We need to work together to stamp down on this behaviour and nothing less than a concerted campaign between management, security, supporters association will do. I'm not for throwing any fellow Hibbie out but a few really need told to screw the nut and stop spoiling the matchday for others. It's no coincidence that our home record needs improved and a refocus on noising up the opposition instead of our own players would be a step in the right direction.

Glory! Glory!

bawheid
22-01-2014, 08:17 AM
I took my eight year old (as he was then) son to the cup semi-final vs Falkirk last season.

3-0 down and the brain-dead morons are out in full force. I tend to find a trip to Hampden flushes them out of the wood-work.

Anyway, there's a guy sitting directly behind us with a wee boy younger than my son. Standing up bellowing at the top of his lungs, F'in this, c'in that. Both boys were genuinely scared. At least my son had me to cuddle into, which he did for most of the first half.

He enjoyed the come back in the second half, but when I asked him if he wanted to go to the final he said no. I've tried a few times since to get him along to Easter Road but he now says he'd rather play football than watch it.

Well played roasters, well played.

s.a.m
22-01-2014, 08:35 AM
I took my eight year old (as he was then) son to the cup semi-final vs Falkirk last season.

3-0 down and the brain-dead morons are out in full force. I tend to find a trip to Hampden flushes them out of the wood-work.

Anyway, there's a guy sitting directly behind us with a wee boy younger than my son. Standing up bellowing at the top of his lungs, F'in this, c'in that. Both boys were genuinely scared. At least my son had me to cuddle into, which he did for most of the first half.

He enjoyed the come back in the second half, but when I asked him if he wanted to go to the final he said no. I've tried a few times since to get him along to Easter Road but he now says he'd rather play football than watch it.

Well played roasters, well played.

Similar experience at both the Semi and Final at Hampden, though thankfully I didn't have children with me. Thoroughly nasty behaviour on show. At least at the Semi, most of the erses had left before half-time, though...

Gettin' Auld
22-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Not read the thread but I moved seat due to a complete Erse sitting behind me in the FF lower.
He would suddenly go mental and spit all over me and the folk around me while trying to articulate his disgust at a moment on the pitch. A few folk has a word but it didn't work. He was just like that. A headcase in there for the cheaper seats.
Ended up moving next to an auld moany bass who just moans about everything but its better than getting gobbed on :-) The twat would sometimes notice and would try to rub it off !
Takes all sorts :-)

:tee hee: Aye childish humour, but it made me laugh when i read it. :greengrin

--------
22-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Doddie. Apparently folk like yourself, TC and I just need to 'get over it' :wink:

Indeed. We're being absurdly sensitive in objecting to being forced to listen to the foulest obscene abuse bellowed at top volume right in our ears for two hours of a Saturday/Sunday afternoon - for no other reason than the MORON concerned's in a football stadium, he's paid his money, and he's "entitled to say what he likes".

I wish everyone - the fans, the clubs, and the police and stewards would get it into their thick skulls that football stadiums operate under the same laws as the rest of the country. Once upon a time Hibs had a "family enclosure" - part of the old main stand enclosure - where you could take your kids and avoid these sewer-mouths. IIRC the stewards there were employed by Hibs themselves, and were strict but courteous, and in my experience extremely helpful. This would be about the beginning of the 1990's?

I'm not stupid - I know that football fans will express their opinions fairly freely and at times colourfully. I don't expect everyone to sit in a devoted and respectful silence, quietly applauding good play by either side impartially. They don't even do that at Lord's cricket ground these days. (They CERTAINLY don't do it at the MCG.)

Racist abuse is out - allegedly, though in my opinion that depends on the stadium, the support, the target of the abuse, and whether the police and stewards can be bothered to get off their fat backsides and do something about it when it's reported to them.

Homophobic abuse - as above.

Violent, hateful and obscene abuse bellowed in the hearing of children - hey pal, where's your sense of humour? You're at the football.

In the early 1970's Scotland played Brazil at Hampden. I went through with some pals to see them. One of us brought his 10-year-old son.

We sat him on the crush barrier where he could see, and the three of us stood behind him. All through the first half there was this HUGE guy right behind us yelling all sorts of swearie-insults at the Scotland team (who were, it must be said, totally and utterly awful). This guy was an artist - he used the words we all know (and sometimes in moments of stress even use) in new and surprising combinations that even now I would not attempt to emulate. I would not wish to overtax the capacity of the Net's swearie-ometer, nor would I wish to give any of our worthy admins apoplexy.

Anyhow, at half time the wee guy got down from the barrier, and we drew straws to see which poor soul would go for the pies and bovril. At this moment the big swearie guy spotted the laddie for the first time. He came down the terrace immediately, apologising profusely for his language - if I'd kent the laddie was there I'd have never gone on like that, guys" - dug into his pocket, produced a fifty-pence piece, which would have bought three pints of Belhaven's Heavy in those days, insisted that his dad "buy the wean an ice-cream on the way hame", and disappeared off up the terrace to a spot where he could relieve his frustrations without abusing the ears of a minor.

I can remember very little of the game - it was dross - but I'll never forget that lad. My point being that he knew that language excusable in the company of like-minded adults isn't acceptable in the company of children and minors, or even of people who find that sort of language offensive and upsetting.

You and TC and I all know what the words are - we've heard them, we've even used them. A few years back I dropped a two-pound claw-hammer accurately and exactly on the nail of one of my big toes. (I was actually wearing my minister's collar at the time, whcih in some folks' eyes would make my response even worse.)

What was that response? "Oh gosh!"? "Sugar-puffs?" "Oh what a silly chap I am?"

I don't think so. I leave it to your imagination to work out what it might have been. :wink:

The point being that when people's behaviour is actively spoiling the match-day experience for other people around, something has to be done.

So, Mr Petrie, Whisky Tango Foxtrot are you going to do about all this? :devil:

Mikey09
22-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Indeed. We're being absurdly sensitive in objecting to being forced to listen to the foulest obscene abuse bellowed at top volume right in our ears for two hours of a Saturday/Sunday afternoon - for no other reason than the MORON concerned's in a football stadium, he's paid his money, and he's "entitled to say what he likes".

I wish everyone - the fans, the clubs, and the police and stewards would get it into their thick skulls that football stadiums operate under the same laws as the rest of the country. Once upon a time Hibs had a "family enclosure" - part of the old main stand enclosure - where you could take your kids and avoid these sewer-mouths. IIRC the stewards there were employed by Hibs themselves, and were strict but courteous, and in my experience extremely helpful. This would be about the beginning of the 1990's?

I'm not stupid - I know that football fans will express their opinions fairly freely and at times colourfully. I don't expect everyone to sit in a devoted and respectful silence, quietly applauding good play by either side impartially. They don't even do that at Lord's cricket ground these days. (They CERTAINLY don't do it at the MCG.)

Racist abuse is out - allegedly, though in my opinion that depends on the stadium, the support, the target of the abuse, and whether the police and stewards can be bothered to get off their fat backsides and do something about it when it's reported to them.

Homophobic abuse - as above.

Violent, hateful and obscene abuse bellowed in the hearing of children - hey pal, where's your sense of humour? You're at the football.

In the early 1970's Scotland played Brazil at Hampden. I went through with some pals to see them. One of us brought his 10-year-old son.

We sat him on the crush barrier where he could see, and the three of us stood behind him. All through the first half there was this HUGE guy right behind us yelling all sorts of swearie-insults at the Scotland team (who were, it must be said, totally and utterly awful). This guy was an artist - he used the words we all know (and sometimes in moments of stress even use) in new and surprising combinations that even now I would not attempt to emulate. I would not wish to overtax the capacity of the Net's swearie-ometer, nor would I wish to give any of our worthy admins apoplexy.

Anyhow, at half time the wee guy got down from the barrier, and we drew straws to see which poor soul would go for the pies and bovril. At this moment the big swearie guy spotted the laddie for the first time. He came down the terrace immediately, apologising profusely for his language - if I'd kent the laddie was there I'd have never gone on like that, guys" - dug into his pocket, produced a fifty-pence piece, which would have bought three pints of Belhaven's Heavy in those days, insisted that his dad "buy the wean an ice-cream on the way hame", and disappeared off up the terrace to a spot where he could relieve his frustrations without abusing the ears of a minor.

I can remember very little of the game - it was dross - but I'll never forget that lad. My point being that he knew that language excusable in the company of like-minded adults isn't acceptable in the company of children and minors, or even of people who find that sort of language offensive and upsetting.

You and TC and I all know what the words are - we've heard them, we've even used them. A few years back I dropped a two-pound claw-hammer accurately and exactly on the nail of one of my big toes. (I was actually wearing my minister's collar at the time, whcih in some folks' eyes would make my response even worse.)

What was that response? "Oh gosh!"? "Sugar-puffs?" "Oh what a silly chap I am?"

I don't think so. I leave it to your imagination to work out what it might have been. :wink:

The point being that when people's behaviour is actively spoiling the match-day experience for other people around, something has to be done.

So, Mr Petrie, Whisky Tango Foxtrot are you going to do about all this? :devil:

A fantastic point really well made..... I think the stewards and Police could do a lot more dealing with the "Fandans" than they currently do. I have my doubts though. Sad thing is its widely accepted nowadays. We can only live in hope......... :pray:

Jonnyboy
22-01-2014, 08:06 PM
This in a nutshell. The odd booing after a half-hearted performance is understnandable. As is berating an individual player for a noticeable lack of effort.

But shouting unacceptable abuse at my team? No way!
Spoiling my day out with my kids, friends and relatives at not inconsiderable expense. Not acceptable!
Mr witless daftie screaming his personal opinions at the top of his voice? Go - do one!

We need to work together to stamp down on this behaviour and nothing less than a concerted campaign between management, security, supporters association will do. I'm not for throwing any fellow Hibbie out but a few really need told to screw the nut and stop spoiling the matchday for others. It's no coincidence that our home record needs improved and a refocus on noising up the opposition instead of our own players would be a step in the right direction.

Glory! Glory!

I'm thinking of the guy who stands a few rows behind you G. :wink:

Twa Cairpets
23-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Some interesting replies to my OP.
Perhaps not unexpectedly, the discussion turned to the mindless tourettes buffoons - the High Priests of Fandannery - who scream abuse at their own players all the time, constantly and with eye-popping intensity.
What wasn't picked up on quite so much was the attack of the equally mindless stupid football know-nothings. The thread came to mind last night as sitting in a hotel down south watching the Man Utd penalties, a complete and utter ersewipe of a man starts loudly declaiming how everything that either team did was rubbish, that neither manager had a clue how to manage a team, that the players (despite 2 hours of high paced football complete with energy sapping adrenaline highs and lows at the very, very end of the game) were pathetic as they couldn't score from 12 yards "anyone can do that, even my ol' grandma" - word for word I kid you not.
Now, this wasn't at the game, but he claimed to the assembled room to go games all the time and I thought if this monumental left buttock of an individual was anywhere near me I swear I'd do time.
I think this type of guy annoys me even more at games than the oafish dullards. They are gits of the first water who one minute implore the defenders to "get the bloody thing sent up the park" then 10 seconds later are appalled that "whats the point in hoofing it long", or bemoaning the lack of tackling before criticising someone for diving in. Grr. :grr:

IWasThere2016
23-01-2014, 12:35 PM
I hear ya, bro, I hear ya!

Watching Hibs play badly and lose, is bad enough, but these people make the whole experience unbearable.

:agree: and great OP, and generally my experience in recent seasons in particular (though it was better v Partick recently at ER)

:tin hat: it is less so at away games IMHO - where the team are giving better back .. again IMHO.

--------
23-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Perhaps not unexpectedly, the discussion turned to the mindless tourettes buffoons - the High Priests of Fandannery - who scream abuse at their own players all the time, constantly and with eye-popping intensity.
What wasn't picked up on quite so much was the attack of the mindlessly stupid football know-nothings. The thread came to mind last night as sitting in a hotel down south watching the Man Utd penalties, a complete and utter ersewipe of a man starts loudly declaiming how everything that either team did was rubbish, that neither manager had a clue how to manage a team, that the players (despite 2 hours of high paced football complete with energy sapping adrenaline highs and lows at the very, very end of the game) were pathetic as they couldn't score from 12 yards "anyone can do that, even my ol' grandma" - word for word I kid you not.
Now, this wasn't at the game, but he claimed to the assembled room to go games all the time and I thought if this monumental left buttock of an individual was anywhere near me I swear I'd do time.
I think this type of guy annoys me even more at games than the oafish dullards. They are gits of the first water who one minute implore the defenders to "get the bloody thing sent up the park" then 10 seconds later are appalled that "whats the point in hoofing it long", or bemoaning the lack of tackling before criticising someone for diving in. Grr. :grr:

I noticed Andy Townsend wasn't on the telly right enough. So that's where he got to. :greengrin

I really don't know what you do about this sort of ignorance, TC. I mean, we've all reacted to something on the pitch and then realised (to our embarrassment) that what we saw and what actually happened were two entirely separate and different things. At least I have.

But usually in such cases, when our mistake's pointed out to us we acknowledge it and sit down and keep quiet for a bit - we don't threaten to knock our informant's teeth down his throat for daring to correct the Mighty Us. At least I don't.

It's a bit like the Andy Gray thing - Gray was a big man who'd played professional football to a high level and knew what he was talking about - most times. But he really couldn't get his head around the idea that a woman - even a trained and perfectly competent woman standing in a much better position to see than himself - could be right about an offside while he could be wrong. So he passes some unnecessarily insulting and derogatory comments about her, and ends up losing his job.

Everybody's an expert. We all have to commentate and show how much we know. We'd much rather stand up and bellow our opinions (usually misguided opinions) for the whole stadium to hear (and laugh at) than just stand up with everyone else and sing a supporters' song to encourage and lift the team we're supposed to be supporting.

They're totally obvious in a hotel bar - thankfully there's usually a bartender or manager or someone who comes through and tells the guy to sit down and behave himself - usually. Or everyone starts laughing at him, and he shuts up out of embarrassment. Or someone decks him and everybody else quietly applauds and nobody backs him up when he comes to. Any way - problem solved, though it's a total pain in the backside while it's going on.

In a 70,000 crowd at Old Trafford, they're lost in the general roar of that crowd - though I believe that they're a bit more numerous and vociferous than usual at OT these days. :wink:

In a 10,000 crowd at Easter Road, unfortunately, you can hear every last one of them - every moron, idiot and terminally deranged Foghorn Leghorn - Ah say, every moron, idiot and terminally deranged Foghorn Leghorn - blasting his delusional opinions around the stadium, echoing from the roof-beams and spoiling the day for everyone around them.

To tell the truth, I often wonder just how many of our worthy posters on this forum are Foghorn Leghorns in real life at ER. :devil:

Mikey09
23-01-2014, 12:59 PM
What wasn't picked up on quite so much was the attack of the equally mindless stupid football know-nothings. The thread came to mind last night as sitting in a hotel down south watching the Man Utd penalties, a complete and utter ersewipe of a man starts loudly declaiming how everything that either team did was rubbish, that neither manager had a clue how to manage a team, that the players (despite 2 hours of high paced football complete with energy sapping adrenaline highs and lows at the very, very end of the game) were pathetic as they couldn't score from 12 yards "anyone can do that, even my ol' grandma" - word for word I kid you not.

To be honest TC I dont find "Experts" half as annoying as the "Fandans". I actually find the experts utterings really quite funny. The reason being they seriously believe what they are saying. You really do hear some belters!!! Ive heard in my time "Nah... I just dont rate Ronaldo as a player". "Messi isnae that guid". And the best one....... "Yes Hearts are self sufficient".

:thumbsup:

--------
23-01-2014, 01:02 PM
To be honest TC I dont find "Experts" half as annoying as the "Fandans". I actually find the experts utterings really quite funny. The reason being they seriously believe what they are saying. You really do hear some belters!!! Ive heard in my time "Nah... I just dont rate Ronaldo as a player". "Messi isnae that guid". And the best one....... "Yes Hearts are self sufficient".

:thumbsup:

Aye - you can live with an idiot sharing his insights.

A loud, threatening, foul-mouthed bully's another matter. These guys should be dealt with.

Mikey09
23-01-2014, 01:06 PM
I noticed Andy Townsend wasn't on the telly right enough. So that's where he got to. :greengrin

I really don't know what you do about this sort of ignorance, TC. I mean, we've all reacted to something on the pitch and then realised (to our embarrassment) that what we saw and what actually happened were two entirely separate and different things. At least I have.

But usually in such cases, when our mistake's pointed out to us we acknowledge it and sit down and keep quiet for a bit - we don't threaten to knock our informant's teeth down his throat for daring to correct the Mighty Us. At least I don't.

It's a bit like the Andy Gray thing - Gray was a big man who'd played professional football to a high level and knew what he was talking about - most times. But he really couldn't get his head around the idea that a woman - even a trained and perfectly competent woman standing in a much better position to see than himself - could be right about an offside while he could be wrong. So he passes some unnecessarily insulting and derogatory comments about her, and ends up losing his job.

Everybody's an expert. We all have to commentate and show how much we know. We'd much rather stand up and bellow our opinions (usually misguided opinions) for the whole stadium to hear (and laugh at) than just stand up with everyone else and sing a supporters' song to encourage and lift the team we're supposed to be supporting.

They're totally obvious in a hotel bar - thankfully there's usually a bartender or manager or someone who comes through and tells the guy to sit down and behave himself - usually. Or everyone starts laughing at him, and he shuts up out of embarrassment. Or someone decks him and everybody else quietly applauds and nobody backs him up when he comes to. Any way - problem solved, though it's a total pain in the backside while it's going on.

In a 70,000 crowd at Old Trafford, they're lost in the general roar of that crowd - though I believe that they're a bit more numerous and vociferous than usual at OT these days. :wink:

In a 10,000 crowd at Easter Road, unfortunately, you can hear every last one of them - every moron, idiot and terminally deranged Foghorn Leghorn - Ah say, every moron, idiot and terminally deranged Foghorn Leghorn - blasting his delusional opinions around the stadium, echoing from the roof-beams and spoiling the day for everyone around them.

To tell the truth, I often wonder just how many of our worthy posters on this forum are Foghorn Leghorns in real life at ER. :devil:

Terminally deranged Foghorn Leghorn!!!!! :faf::faf:

Best description of them yet......

down-the-slope
24-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Fan Dan Muffs - for a Fan Dan Free ER Experience... rentable at turnstyles via a second self scan vending machine (*please do not utilise this service if your inability to scan a barcode is likely to cause increased queuing)

Multi channel broadcasts featuring at these channel numbers

Ross banging his drum - not recommended after heavy nights out
Sect 43 greatest hits on revolving loop - please check with those seated around you if joining in bouncing is acceptable
60s/70s Hibs Terrace hits - please do not get lost in the nostalgia and p**h on the person seated in front
Birdsong - please do not use this channel if prone to snoring
Hibs TV commentary - please refrain from impersonating Boozy while listening
Fan Dan Fest - selection of the most outrageous random Tourettes style outbursts......oooppppsss bugger

Edit..please note Channel 4 'Birdsong' is of the spring watch variety and NOT female pop 'artists'

Frogga
24-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Maybe we should have a hall of shame? Could photograph the buggers on our phones and post their mugs on here for all to see.

kaimendhibs
24-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Maybe we should have a hall of shame? Could photograph the buggers on our phones and post their mugs on here for all to see.

Brill idea! Will try to get the two coaches who sit behind me!

Sent from my iphone

Pedantic_Hibee
24-01-2014, 06:44 AM
Sometimes I get so annoyed at Hibs I wake up at 2 in the morning and start booing as loud as I can. Even during international breaks.

My neighbours hate me. In fact I hate myself sometimes. So much so I've actually booed myself for posting this.

3 points on Sunday and all will be well.

s.a.m
24-01-2014, 07:04 AM

:idea: Actually, maybe what we should have is a fandan section; the 'Ah've Paid My Money Section', where the anger management crowd can abuse and insult like-minded folks to their hearts' content.

Although, having identified and assembled these unfortunates, would Hibs have a 'duty of care' issue? Would Tam have to paint the breeze blocks soft green, and play soothing music :hmmm:

--------
24-01-2014, 12:08 PM
:idea: Actually, maybe what we should have is a fandan section; the 'Ah've Paid My Money Section', where the anger management crowd can abuse and insult like-minded folks to their hearts' content.

Although, having identified and assembled these unfortunates, would Hibs have a 'duty of care' issue? Would Tam have to paint the breeze blocks soft green, and play soothing music :hmmm:

Naw. Duck-tape their mouths shut and dress 'em up in chicken costumes.

http://www.spitenet.com/online/pics/looney/Foghorn-Leghorn.jpg

Foghorn Leghorn!