PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths in the sun

Billychaotic182
20-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Just seen this retweeted by Kenny Miller (not the player the journo)

@RonnieMacKay: Leigh Griffiths says he would jump at the chance of a move to Celtic. Read exclusive interview in Monday's Scottish Sun. #wwfc #celtic

frazeHFC
20-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Would hate to see him in a Celtc top, much rather he went to another English club than them.

Haymaker
20-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Would hate to see him in a Celtc top, much rather he went to another English club than them.

Yep. Would hate to see it too. Looking likely though.

SteveHFC
20-01-2014, 01:05 AM
:boo hoo::boo hoo:

B.H.F.C
20-01-2014, 01:06 AM
Always thought there was a chance.

Not overly bothered as accepted he wouldn't be coming back to us.

Greencore
20-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Always the same. Especially in Scottish football, money talks. Boring.

SaulGoodman
20-01-2014, 01:22 AM
Wonder if those are his actual words

CB_NO3
20-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Another one who cant hack it more than an hour away from home.

Pete
20-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Celtic are the only team in Scotland who could give him a wage that he deserves in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure if he was single and free he wouldn't look twice at them but he certainly doesn't fall into that category.

This is the one player I wouldn't hold anything against. His options are limited due to his need to be in the Central Scotland area. He's also a true hibs man so while he wouldn't go with my blessing, he would go with my understanding.

He wouldn't get a sniff out of Nelson or Hanlon anyway so we have nothing to worry about.:greengrin

Leishy1995
20-01-2014, 02:37 AM
I said last week he had agreed a deal already and it was being finalised. 1.25 million. Came from his older brother too.

Hibercelona
20-01-2014, 03:24 AM
Jumping at the chance? Aye right then.

Obviously he'll make the decisions that suite him and his family best. But he'd be there for the cash and the location, nothing more.

Typical word twisting from the sun.

jodjam
20-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Opened this thread expecting to see a photo of Leigh lying by the pool in Tenerife.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Has the "Glasgow gold fish bowl" ever been broken? Maybe it'll be severely tested if this comes to pass...

marinello59
20-01-2014, 07:14 AM

Obviously he'll make the decisions that suite him and his family best. But he'd be there for the cash and the location, nothing more.

Why wouldn't he jump at the chance of good money, Champions League fitba and being closer to his kids? Anybody would. There's no word twisting going on there at all.

Cameron1875
20-01-2014, 07:15 AM
He would have more chance of getting in the Scotland squad if he was at Celtic than floating around English Championship/League 1. How many times do we see players almost automatically called up as soon as they go along the M8.

It would look wrong for him to be in the hoops but it wouldn't cause me to think he is a d**k or anythin.

Inch Hibs
20-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Good luck to him if he moves there except from against us.

Probably more cash, closer to home, champions league, better team.

The_Horde
20-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Don't think celtic would be a good move for him. Too much expectation and pressure to score. He needs to be adored to play his best.

Would love to see him go to leeds or somewhere like that.

The Sea-gull
20-01-2014, 08:39 AM
I understand why young Scottish palyers choose Celtic to be honest. Good money, close to friends and family, playing in a league they know well and a decent chance of the Champions League.

If they have belief in their own ability the glamour of Sunderland and Stoke etc will still be there for them in a few years time.

In LG's situation, I totally undertsand why he'd want to go to Celtic and he'd get no abuse from me if he went there. Got a feeling we'll see LG in playing a Premier League match in a Hibs shirt again before his career ends.

The Sea-gull
20-01-2014, 08:43 AM
If he does go there, anyone think this could be the end for Stokes? He's played electric for Celtic at times earlier this season but doesn't seem to have been at the races in the last few months and his goals return has been poor for a Celtic striker.

Felt this was Stokes real chance to shine without Hooper being there but not really sure he has taken it after a promising start to the season.

His best form for Celtic actually came with Hooper during their first couple of seasons but since he got injured around 18 months ago, Stokes has really struggled for consistency.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-01-2014, 09:08 AM

This....

Paper talk to appease the great unwashed as usual.

Next thing is "walk over hot coals and broken glass" :rolleyes:

chrisski33
20-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Seeing too much understanding for griffiths going to the unwashed! Sod it but I cant the thoight of it as no doubt he will score against us! Sick of star players whether they r hibs fans or not going to smellies. He should stick it longer down south. He wont be welcome by me at er if he is a celtic amd I will boo him!

erskine-hibby
20-01-2014, 10:45 AM
I can understand why he would move to septic for financial and family reasons, but I have a sneaking feeling that he could end up like riordan. There is mo doubt in my mind he has the talent, but celtic will always want to bring in a big, probably foreign, striker, it's just what they do.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
20-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Lennon might be away to Norwich so Griffiths might not go to celtic.

JIm
20-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Always the same. Especially in Scottish football, money talks. Boring.

I think theres been numerous reasons in this thread already why he would go, its not reocket science.

Champions League, International opportunitys, family, finance etc

Can't blame the boy if it happens.

Hibrandenburg
20-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Hope he was using at least factor 20 with his complexion.

silverhibee
20-01-2014, 12:42 PM
If he does go to celtc then good luck to him.

He should really think about getting a driving license and a car as well though.

Marty-Hibee
20-01-2014, 01:00 PM
I honestly think this would be a poor move on Celtics behalf. They don't need players to win the Premiership, they've got that already, and will have for at least the next 5 years, probably more. They need something that will propel them in the Champs League, and as much as I love the guy, I don't think Sparky is the player to do that.

Can fully understand it from Leighs view though. But just go visions of Deek all over again.

VivaHiberņa
20-01-2014, 01:05 PM

Why wouldn't he jump at the chance of good money, Champions League fitba and being closer to his kids? Anybody would. There's no word twisting going on there at all.

It's an implication that he wants to sign for them because it's the "Mighty and Famous Glasgow Celtic: home of Total Football, the Campaign for Truth and Justice and The Greatest Fans in the WorldTM." Before you know it there'll be a photo of him in the papers as a boy wearing a green and white "Celtc" (aye right :rolleyes:) scarf and some forced words about having always liked them.

He's obviously only interested in the money and location but you can't tell the hordes that (see: Sandaza, Francisco).

I hate the thought of seeing him in a Celtc shirt but I can understand why he would. :boo hoo:

Ross4356
20-01-2014, 01:12 PM
My best mate and Leigh's cousin told me Leigh told him that he wants to play for Celtic

Hibrandenburg
20-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Hope he was using at least factor 20 with his complexion.

hfc rd
20-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Good luck to him if he moves there except from against us.

Probably more cash, closer to home, champions league, better team.

I agree with the above.

jonty
20-01-2014, 02:05 PM
If he does go to celtc then good luck to him.

He should really think about getting a driving license and a car as well though.

For him and his families.

silverhibee
20-01-2014, 02:31 PM
For him and his families.

Maybe just go for a double decker bus then. :greengrin

Ritchie
20-01-2014, 04:54 PM
My best mate and Leigh's cousin told me Leigh told him that he wants to play for Celtic

good gossip there Rosco. :aok: :greengrin

YehButNoBut
20-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Maybe just go for a double decker bus then. :greengrin

He's already got one :greengrin

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKziSbLCMAI4qr-.jpg

Hibby_G
20-01-2014, 05:50 PM
who cares anyway he is the past collins is the future

Pretty Boy
20-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Good luck to him.

Hibs were good for him, he was good for us. He's potentially got the opportunity to play Champions League football and make very decent money. He's entitled to do that.

As long as he doesn't do the 'it's always been my dream to pull on the hoops' speech. That might change my opinion.

Stantons Angel
20-01-2014, 07:09 PM
It was always on the cards that they would be sneaking around him once he started scoring the goals for us.

Its just another "steal" from Hibs (even though he is at Wolves just now)

Everyone knows they are the only ones who can afford his wages.

I suppose they have been doing it for too many years too stop now though?

The_Todd
20-01-2014, 07:23 PM
If that's what he wants to do then who am I to judge, but Celtic just aren't the draw they used to be. Big stadium? Sure but only 30% full most weeks. He'll win plenty medals, sure but at a canter and too regular to be of any real value.

The only draw is a few CL matches once a year, or just CL qualifiers at that. I'm sure he can go much better than Celtic.

silverhibee
20-01-2014, 07:29 PM
It was always on the cards that they would be sneaking around him once he started scoring the goals for us.

Its just another "steal" from Hibs (even though he is at Wolves just now)

Everyone knows they are the only ones who can afford his wages.

I suppose they have been doing it for too many years too stop now though?

Seemingly celtc are showing interest in a striker playing for St Johnstone.

Not to sure if the Sparky deal is really done yet. :wink:

JJP
20-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Seemingly celtc are showing interest in a striker playing for St Johnstone.

Not to sure if the Sparky deal is really done yet. :wink:
If I was to choose between the two I would go
for Leigh every time. I can see why Celtic would
go for Stevie May though. May appears capable of scoring just as many goals as Griffiths did last season and comes without the baggage that Leigh has gained the reputation for carrying, rightly or wrongly. Anyway, sick of seeing my favourite Hibs players in those manky hooped tops, come back home Leigh.

Paisley Hibby
20-01-2014, 07:41 PM
I honestly think this would be a poor move on Celtics behalf. They don't need players to win the Premiership, they've got that already, and will have for at least the next 5 years, probably more. They need something that will propel them in the Champs League, and as much as I love the guy, I don't think Sparky is the player to do that.

Can fully understand it from Leighs view though. But just go visions of Deek all over again.

Spot on. If Celtic want to compete with the likes of AC Milan, Barcelona and Ajax then they need to be signing players at a different level. If they go for Griffiths that shows they simply don't have that ambition.

andy1875
20-01-2014, 07:51 PM
I hope Sparky does sign for Celtic and goes as follows:-

Signs on a 3 year deal, starts of well scoring a barrow load against every team in the SPL, except us of course and then he has a huge fallout with Lennon.

He's in the reserves and all he wants to do is get playing again, all the while, our Rod is waiting in the shadows.

The wallet opens, we give Celtic Ģ150k (net fact :greengrin) and Sparky comes home and never leaves ER again.

Make him captain, he lifts the Scottish for us and we all live happily ever after!

Hahahaha we can dream, eh? :greengrin

OsloHibs
20-01-2014, 09:04 PM
I get why (money) just like the others who went there before him- but seeing Leigh in the huddle at ER and scoring against us (which he will) is different. I actually feel sick. Life moves on, eh.

chrisski33
20-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Ive just heard that the deal has fallen through ajd stevie may will be signing instead

Inch Hibs
20-01-2014, 09:14 PM
If he's not getting a game at Wolves get him up the road and we can put him in the shop window for them again please.

TheFamous1875
20-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Ive just heard that the deal has fallen through ajd stevie may will be signing instead

Where'd you hear that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheFamous1875
20-01-2014, 09:22 PM
I think Sparky and Lennon would be a bad mix. Sparky's a "gamble" - baggage, etc. I can see Lennon using him as a scape goat for his own tittery and Leigh's career going down the tubes.

Celtic, and all of the baggage that comes with them may be too much for him. If he's feeling suicidal being Hibs' talisman, then how's he gonna feel with that **** for a mentor?

Fenlon cared, so would Butcher. Lennon is an arrogant man, and you can tell he actively dislikes Leigh's 'type'.

Sparky needs to feel wanted and appreciated, it's his Achilles heel. You don't get that at Celtic unless you're one of them. He's categorically one of us.

yekimevol
20-01-2014, 09:23 PM
I was happy to see him progress at another club in england, but to see him in another strip in scotland would be gutting. I get thats its probably down to him wanting to come back to scotland and celtic being the only club with the cash to bring him home, but still gutting.

TheFamous1875
20-01-2014, 09:28 PM
I was happy to see him progress at another club in england, but to see him in another strip in scotland would be gutting. I get thats its probably down to him wanting to come back to scotland and celtic being the only club with the cash to bring him home, but still gutting.

As exactly selfish as it sounds, it shouldn't be about cash. No one can buy what he would have at Hibs.

We're onto something good here with youth coming through and with a talented and respected management team, he could be the poster boy for it all. A Sparky-type player would be ideal for our squad. Especially one who's one of our own.

There must be a way! If I was the undisputed player of the year, and Lennon made a point of saying that I wasn't good enough for his team despite my achievements, I'd tell him and his club to go **** themselves.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Said it before, I'll be gutted to see him in a Celtic strip if it does happen and he comes back to Easter Road to play against us.

It was horrible to see it happen with Derek Riordan and this will be just as bad.

jacomo
20-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Good luck to him.

Hibs were good for him, he was good for us. He's potentially got the opportunity to play Champions League football and make very decent money. He's entitled to do that.

As long as he doesn't do the 'it's always been my dream to pull on the hoops' speech. That might change my opinion.

I think it's a clause in the contract.

Glory Lurker
20-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Is he still on that Twitter thing? If he thought he got a load of guff in his direction when he was with us, he'll be flooded if he goes to Celtc. Don't do it, Sparky, it's no worth the hassle.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-01-2014, 09:20 AM
This reminds me of a classic .net song...

We are good
We are Hibs
We have Griffiths in the sun

SaulGoodman
21-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Come on guys Griffiths is gone, just remember the good times last season when we had joy, we had fun, we had Griffiths in the sun :duck:

leithsansiro
21-01-2014, 12:49 PM
I have two points on this.

Number one - what is it with Scottish players who cannot handle being "abroad"? What is it about the Scottish psyche that does this to guys like him and Riordan? :rolleyes:
Number two - does anyone reckon he'd celebrate if he scored against us? And would we be allowed to boo him? :devil:

Mikeystewart
21-01-2014, 01:14 PM

Number one - what is it with Scottish players who cannot handle being "abroad"? What is it about the Scottish psyche that does this to guys like him and Riordan? :rolleyes:
Number two - does anyone reckon he'd celebrate if he scored against us? And would we be allowed to boo him? :devil:

To be Fair the majority of the Scotland squad play outside of Scotland. or when you say abroad do you mean outside the UK?

I think its more of an issue with the UK in general, not many English Scottish, Northern Irish or Welsh players move abroad, language might be one issue. With regards to young Scottish players its maybe more to do with age and not wanting to leave home until they are mature enough to deal with it.

killie-hibby
21-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Taken from todays Daily Mail. "Wolves manager Kenny Jackett last night told Leigh Griffiths to forget about moving to Celtic this month." " Jackett is adamant he has no interest in stamping the players return ticket this month." " Leigh's central to our plans in the second half of the season."

VivaHiberņa
21-01-2014, 02:08 PM

He never celebrated scoring for us against Dundee so I don't think we need to worry about that dilemma. Small consolation if he goes.:boo hoo:

silverhibee
21-01-2014, 02:10 PM

:hmmm: :wink:

exHIBition
22-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Could it not be 'secretly' organised that somebody wins the Hibs Lotto in the next draw with a 'secret' condition that they buy Leigh Griffiths for the club?

Hibbyradge
22-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Could it not be 'secretly' organised that somebody wins the Hibs Lotto in the next draw with a 'secret' condition that they buy Leigh Griffiths for the club?

Most likely, that's the plan. :agree:

SaulGoodman
22-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Petrie had 1 mil on St Mirren win first half Hibs win second half

jacomo
22-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Petrie had 1 mil on St Mirren win first half Hibs win second half

So that's why we're losing money... the chairman has a gambling addiction.

If this isn't a Jambo Kickback FACT by teatime I'll be disappointed.

jacomo
22-01-2014, 12:54 PM

How much is the jackpot now? I absolutely promise I will make a bid for Leigh if I win... up to around half of overall winnings if necessary.

Just the kind of selfless guy I am.

exHIBition
22-01-2014, 01:05 PM
How much is the jackpot now? I absolutely promise I will make a bid for Leigh if I win... up to around half of overall winnings if necessary.

Just the kind of selfless guy I am.

The jackpot is over Ģ14 million.