PDA

View Full Version : St Mirren changing halfs before Kick Off

Gus Fring
18-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Last time I remember this happening was Christmas 2009 against Rangers when we scored in the first minute. Obviously mind games from St Mirren IMHO.

SaulGoodman
18-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Goodwin being a wee fud as usual

EDIT: to be fair it must have worked :greengrin

clerriehibs
18-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Within their rights, and worked for them. No point us throwing a hissy fit about it.

scoopyboy
18-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Last time I remember this happening was Christmas 2009 against Rangers when we scored in the first minute. Obviously mind games from St Mirren IMHO.

I agree and it bloody worked eh.

andy1875
18-01-2014, 07:12 PM
My mate mentioned this at the game and i have to admit, I really hadnt noticed!

Maybe i should pay more attention!

O'Rourke3
18-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I was looking forward to that half as that's usually when we score....

Hibercelona
18-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Switching halves..... I can see how that would drastically affect our players..... :rolleyes:

scoopyboy
18-01-2014, 07:18 PM
My mate mentioned this at the game and i have to admit, I really hadnt noticed!

Maybe i should pay more attention!

Did you think we were 3-0 up at half time?

Gus Fring
18-01-2014, 07:18 PM
I'm not saying it made a big difference, just pointing out it was the first of many little niggles from ST Mirren today.

Stantons Angel
18-01-2014, 07:20 PM

Yeah i think you are right with that. Historically Hibs like to start the game shooting "up the slope" and take the second half going "down the slope"

An to my knowledge still work this way, so when Goodwin won the toss he gained a wee supposedly physiological advantage right from the start. However with now having no "slope" to speak of it really shouldnt make a difference?

Billy Whizz
18-01-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm not saying it made a big difference, just pointing out it was the first of many little niggles from ST Mirren today.

Goodwin had a few before he was booked. Wonder if the compliance officer will have a look at the elbow on Maybury in the 1st half

andy1875
18-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Did you think we were 3-0 up at half time?

Aye, when David Van Zanten came on that's when I realised something wasn't quite right :greengrin

The Sea-gull
18-01-2014, 07:26 PM
With hibs it used to be due to the slope but most teams like to shoot towards their own fans second half. Happens at most grounds with this arrangement hence most teams shoot towards their own fans irrespective of who wins the toss.

Hibercelona
18-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Yeah i think you are right with that. Historically Hibs like to start the game shooting "up the slope" and take the second half going "down the slope"

An to my knowledge still work this way, so when Goodwin won the toss he gained a wee supposedly physiological advantage right from the start. However with now having no "slope" to speak of it really shouldnt make a difference?

There was no physiological advantage. I don't believe for one moment that the toss had any influence on our players what so ever.

If it did, then there is something seriously wrong with all of them.

thebakerboy
18-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Goodwin had a few before he was booked. Wonder if the compliance officer will have a look at the elbow on Maybury in the 1st half
Maybury got his own back with a naughty little stamp on Goodwins ankle in the corner and still got the free kick.

Gus Fring
18-01-2014, 07:37 PM
There was no physiological advantage. I don't believe for one moment that the toss had any influence on our players what so ever.

If it did, then there is something seriously wrong with all of them.

On it's own you're probably right, but when it's the first of 50-60 instances of the whole team doing nippy wee things it starts to have a bigger effect. The whole St Mirren side were out to wind us up today. They wasted time at every opportunity and took full advantage of a lenient referee.

Houchy
19-01-2014, 12:56 PM
It goes back to when we had a slope in the pitch and played down the slope in the 2nd half. We've traditionally kept to it but as someone alluded to previously, we don't have a ritht to this.

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-01-2014, 09:31 PM
That annoyed me yesterday. Even more so when we immediately gifted them 3 goals!

iwasthere1972
19-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Maybe a bit childish but I even booed them when they made us change ends at the kick off.

Brooster
19-01-2014, 09:54 PM
I always think we have a better chance of grabbing a winner in the later stages of games if we are shooting towards our own fans (Griffiths at hampden against Falkirk, Caldwell at tynie and Craig against hearts at new year spring to mind). Goodwin is an irritant but this was good captaincy. Im surprised more teams dont do it to be honest.

PPZPOL
19-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Physiological? Psychological maybe but not physiological.

BH Hibs
19-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I remember Jim McLean used to send Dundee Utd out to the cowshed end at the start of the game. Nowadays with both teams coming onto the pitch together it wouldn't happen.

Stax
19-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Stokes scored after 9 secs, I remember thinking giruy...we should maybe try this more often, they went on to win 4-1 iirc..:rolleyes:

Hibee87
19-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Next time im asked to move my desk at work im going to miss a deadline ansdblame it on that.