PDA

View Full Version : Well done James Collins

CallumLaidlaw
18-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Another game where he works his arse off, and glad to see him get another couple of goals. Just shows, when he's in the box getting service, he'll score goals. 3 in 4 games for him.

Hibs Class
18-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Another game where he works his arse off, and glad to see him get another couple of goals. Just shows, when he's in the box getting service, he'll score goals. 3 in 4 games for him.

:agree: Thought he was our MOTM today even before his second goal

dmc1875
18-01-2014, 06:14 PM

If only everyone else worked as hard as him. The passage of play in the first half when he chased defender, goalie, defender, goalie and not ONE hibs player was anywhere near was disgraceful.

Well played James.

Inch Hibs
18-01-2014, 06:15 PM
He's been good all season in his work rate and peformances outside the box.

Gustavo Fring
18-01-2014, 06:15 PM
i think he will come good

just lacks a bit of composure at times but he's still young and seems to be making progress under butcher and mo

PeterboroHibee
18-01-2014, 06:18 PM
You cant fault the effort and work rate he puts in for the team, and I dont think the way we play does him any favours, so fair play to him for getting 2 goals today. The one thing that has concerned me is the fact he has missed quite a lot of good chances so far in his time at Hibs, but I think thats his 3rd goal in 4 games so hopefully he is becoming more confident in front of goal.

Hedlund12
18-01-2014, 06:35 PM
I like JC and his work ethic. ..one thing I don't like is seeing him on the deck.... I've nick named him SPLAT with my son 😊. Totally agree too that when he starts getting a better service he'll bag more.

B.H.F.C
18-01-2014, 06:36 PM
All his goals have been from close range. I think he needs to be a bit more selfish and play between the posts. With the exception of his goal up at St Jonstone I think all his goals have come from set pieces so he can obviously sniff out a chance. It's just in open play I don't really feel like he's going to do much. I don't really blame him for that though, I just think we need someone to compliment him as his running would maybe create space.

Pray4Marc
18-01-2014, 06:38 PM

The criticism he receives is surreal. Bangs in 2 goals today and worked his socks off again. Yet he still receives grieve, utterly breathtaking.

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2014, 06:43 PM
He was our best player again today.

Sas_The_Hibby
18-01-2014, 06:45 PM
All his goals have been from close range. I think he needs to be a bit more selfish and play between the posts. With the exception of his goal up at St Jonstone I think all his goals have come from set pieces so he can obviously sniff out a chance. It's just in open play I don't really feel like he's going to do much. I don't really blame him for that though, I just think we need someone to compliment him as his running would maybe create space.

:agree:

I agree that with good service he should knock away a few goals but in open play his first touch is atrocious. Surely a professional footballer should be able to control a ball 9 times out of 10 without it bouncing 10 yards back off him. Having said that, he was also being blatantly pushed by defenders all afternoon which TBF, will not have helped.

lucky
18-01-2014, 07:09 PM
I like him but sometimes drifts to far out of the box. His work rate is excellent

Ricky Bobby
18-01-2014, 07:30 PM
There were a couple of trumpets next to me today that called him useless all through the game. His work rate is fantastic and it is hardly his fault that we are making very little real chances for the strikers. The centre of midfield let us down today in both quality and determination.

Elephant Stone
18-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Delighted he's starting to get the goals he deserves. Man of the match today again.

jeffers
18-01-2014, 07:37 PM
I still like him. Lots. :greengrin

Chases absolutely everything, comes back to help defend corners, does more work than several other player put together. And managed to get two goals today as well. Nice job.

Incidentally, I think those goals today are exactly the kind of goals that Collins scores. I don't know if people are expecting him to be Griffiths, hammering them in from outside the box, left and right footed. But I think he's more of an instinctive, latch-on-and-score kind of striker who likes playing in and around the six yard box and will be able to grab those more scrappy goals. We just need balls into that kind of area more often and he will score, I'm sure of it.

3 in 4 games now, keep it up! :thumbsup:

I still don't rate him, but he took both goals well today. Interested that you think he likes playing in and around the box, when its a part of the pitch he rarely ventures into.

Pretty Boy
18-01-2014, 07:40 PM
He was our best player again today.

Would agree.

Scored 2, tried his best to hold the ball up and worked his socks off.

DAVE1875
18-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Just wish he wouldn't go to ground so easy.

jeffers
18-01-2014, 07:44 PM
I think ideally he would like to. But if he stood around the box all game then nothing would ever happen. He has to drop deep to get involved.

Fair enough, I think he drops far too deep, but I will never fault the guy for work rate.

Heisenberg
18-01-2014, 07:47 PM
His first touch is guff. Can't argue with two goals and his work rate though.

jeffers
18-01-2014, 07:47 PM

That's how I see him too.

erin go bragh
18-01-2014, 07:49 PM
There were a couple of trumpets next to me today that called him useless all through the game. His work rate is fantastic and it is hardly his fault that we are making very little real chances for the strikers. The centre of midfield let us down today in both quality and determination.

Guy beside me in the ff lower shouts useless at Collins at every opportunity. Hopefully this brace added to the derby goal will get the boo boys of his back and he will kick on from here .

Ggtth

Aldo
18-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Guy beside me in the ff lower shouts useless at Collins at every opportunity. Hopefully this brace added to the derby goal will get the boo boys of his back and he will kick on from here . Ggtth

Maybe JC needs to misplace a shot right into the guys big gob. That might shut him up??? Then again maybe not!

Ricky Bobby
18-01-2014, 07:54 PM

In comparison with most our players his first touch is pretty good. Robertsons second touch is always a tackle.

Heisenberg
18-01-2014, 07:55 PM
In comparison with most our players his first touch is pretty good. Robertsons second touch is always a tackle.

Aye Robertson is quite bad for it too. Craig also dosent take a first touch and just boots it forward as soon as he can.

Ricky Bobby
18-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Aye Robertson is quite bad for it too. Craig also dosent take a first touch and just boots it forward as soon as he can.

I agree about Craig, very disappointed in him today. A real lack of quality in the middle of the park.

Ricky Bobby
18-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Guy beside me in the ff lower shouts useless at Collins at every opportunity. Hopefully this brace added to the derby goal will get the boo boys of his back and he will kick on from here .

Ggtth

I hope your right about his goals shutting up the boo boys, but i think that until we start creating genuine opportunities the strikers are going to struggle to look good.
I can't remember the young lad Cummings getting a decent chance today, basically working off scraps. We are taking the easy option too many times and firing the ball into the box from 30 yards instead of getting to the bye line.

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Maybe JC needs to misplace a shot right into the guys big gob. That might shut him up??? Then again maybe not!

He does plenty of them in the warm up. :greengrin

Aldo
18-01-2014, 08:07 PM
He does plenty of them in the warm up. :greengrin

Suppose he did. Maybe drop him a wee note where they guy is sitting. He would probably miss. :-)

CallumLaidlaw
18-01-2014, 08:07 PM
I hope your right about his goals shutting up the boo boys, but i think that until we start creating genuine opportunities the strikers are going to struggle to look good.
I can't remember the young lad Cummings getting a decent chance today, basically working off scraps. We are taking the easy option too many times and firing the ball into the box from 30 yards instead of getting to the bye line.

Actually, I thought Cummings had 2 completely free headers in the first half that he should've hit the target with. I like him tho, and has been more energetic than Heffernan

Jonnyboy
18-01-2014, 09:05 PM
A guy behind me in Section 42 kept shouting that Hibs players should shoot when the chance arose. Moments later JC did just that but his shot was high and wide. "Eff off Collins" came the cry "what the eff are you shooting from there for?" :greengrin

JC was one of very few bright lights today

3pm
18-01-2014, 09:11 PM
A guy behind me in Section 42 kept shouting that Hibs players should shoot when the chance arose. Moments later JC did just that but his shot was high and wide. "Eff off Collins" came the cry "what the eff are you shooting from there for?" :greengrin

JC was one of very few bright lights today

That and the full time whistle!!! :o)

Jonnyboy
18-01-2014, 09:11 PM
That and the full time whistle!!! :o)

:greengrin

Billychaotic182
19-01-2014, 01:25 AM
Well pleased for him
Hopefuly now the gates are open and more will come

spike220
19-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Took his goals well, looks very good with his head!!!

eebsie
19-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Does a good job considering the quality of the punts up the park which are deemed as 'service'.
Not easy to have a decent first touch when the ball is fired at you or dropping from a great height!

allezsauzee
19-01-2014, 09:25 AM
If you sat in the West just behind the opposition dug out you would think he was the worst centre forward we've even hard with some of the abuse he gets from the some of the clowns I sit beside. He is the hardest working centre forward I've ever seen at Easter Road. I'd love to see him and Super Leigh in the same team, they'd be an awesome combination

easty
19-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Does a good job considering the quality of the punts up the park which are deemed as 'service'.
Not easy to have a decent first touch when the ball is fired at you or dropping from a great height!

He's a professional footballer. He should have a good first touch regardless of how hard or high the ball coming to him.

I'm not saying he doesn't, but I wouldn't even let an amateur player get away with an excuse like that!

eebsie
19-01-2014, 10:15 AM
He's a professional footballer. He should have a good first touch regardless of how hard or high the ball coming to him.

I'm not saying he doesn't, but I wouldn't even let an amateur player get away with an excuse like that!

Some of the shrapnel fired his direction is mince. But it just keeps coming. He's constantly telling where he wants it played. I'm not saying he's a world beater but if Craig, Nelson et al. could deliver something with a bit more quality then Collins wouldn't look so bad.

Bad Habits
19-01-2014, 10:17 AM
He will come good, in his debut season as a young striker he will score 10-15 goals for us. I agree with the above poster in that his touch is questionable but works his arse off and has chipped in with a fair few goals already. IMO him and Heffernan are both 'supporting' striker that use their movement to create space for the other attacking players and the addition of a pacey poacher type striker to one of the 2 above would make a lethal SPFL front 2

DAVE1875
19-01-2014, 10:33 AM
He will come good, in his debut season as a young striker he will score 10-15 goals for us. I agree with the above poster in that his touch is questionable but works his arse off and has chipped in with a fair few goals already. IMO him and Heffernan are both 'supporting' striker that use their movement to create space for the other attacking players and the addition of a pacey poacher type striker to one of the 2 above would make a lethal SPFL front 2

Sparky & Collins up font?

https://a4-images.myspacecdn.com/images03/1/9be7d6841e6942b0b191d031797a1b1e/300x300.jpg

green&left
19-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Well played again James.

Glad he got his two goals to shut the silly f****s in Section 44 up constantly giving him dogs abuse.

Not sure what people are expecting off him? If its the alleged 200k price tag or comparing him to sparky. But considering he's isolated up there on his jack and the service he's getting (or lack of service perhaps) with balls getting hammered to him from all directions, he's doing pretty *** well.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Won us a throw in down at the corner of the FF and East after chasing a defender for 30 yards with little prospect of winning the race when he started running ... great attitude. Perhaps his first touch aint the best, but he got in front of the centre half every time yesterday and won a hell of a lot of balls.

With a good partner he will do a great job for us and I for one will never slag a player with his fantastic effort every time he plays. Not that I'm in the habit of slagging players anyway. The corus of booing which greeted St Mirrens third goal was pathetic.

Makaveli
19-01-2014, 11:32 AM
I really like Collins. His first touch isn't the best, but then he wouldn't be here if it was.

IMO Heffernan is the perfect kind of partner for him and when they get a run together we'll see plenty of goals from both.

Onceinawhile
19-01-2014, 12:13 PM
all he has been missing recently is goals. He seems to be bringing that in now, so fingers crossed it continues.

The_Horde
19-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Collins was absolutely brilliant yesterday. He won just about every aerial battle and if he didn't the defender never got an easy header away. He took his goals excellently and had some great wee touches to bring other players into the game. How he never got MOTM I don't know. Robertson? Jesus.

frazeHFC
19-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Every game I go to now I have people near me shouting abuse at him, getting pretty pathetic. He is good in the air and at bringing the ball down with his chest. Brings others into the game and has one of the best work rates I've seen at Hibs in quite a few years. Goals coming now too, long may it continue!

Heisenberg
19-01-2014, 12:51 PM
It's the price tag and all the hype he got when we signed him. Folk reckon he should be as good as Griffiths. I'm not his biggest fan by any means but I don't think he deserves abuse for his performance yesterday.

Pretty Boy
19-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Is Collins 1st touch that bad?

There was 1 incident yesterday when Williams hoofed it to him (actually there were multiple because Williams doesn't distribute short and quick) it came from about 60 feet up like a rocket and he controlled it perfectly, held it up then moved it to a Hibs player. I see him do that quite regularly, it's not the service any striker wants but he deals with it quite well imo.

Danderhall Hibs
19-01-2014, 01:21 PM

There was 1 incident yesterday when Williams hoofed it to him (actually there were multiple because Williams doesn't distribute short and quick) it came from about 60 feet up like a rocket and he controlled it perfectly, held it up then moved it to a Hibs player. I see him do that quite regularly, it's not the service any striker wants but he deals with it quite well imo.

Agreed. He seems to deal with the more difficult balls better than the straight forward ones IMO. Definitely a player in there though.

davhibby
19-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I actually think his touch is getting better, there were a couple of occasions yesterday where he had some very good first touches

sauzee6_2
19-01-2014, 01:50 PM
He's been good all season in his work rate and peformances outside the box.

This is his problem, most of his work is outside the box! He needs somebody else to work hard and deliver the ball to him IN the box!

He could also do with working on his first touch.

Definitely a player there just need those around him to complement his strengths.

Hermit Crab
19-01-2014, 02:29 PM
He'll find it tough up against van dyke next week.

Winston Ingram
19-01-2014, 02:29 PM

I certainly don't think so. Collins hold up play is excellent

Vault Boy
19-01-2014, 02:50 PM

I think he has a good touch on him too, his link up play is very impressive. The odd pass bounces off him but it isn't always his fault as some of the passes are dodgy to say the least, he's a young player who is still growing in confidence and adjusting to a new life in a new league, this all factors in to how consistently good a first touch will be. The goals will do him good.

iwasthere1972
19-01-2014, 09:55 PM
Would be banging in more goals if he didn't have to spend 90% of his time with his back to goal.

Think we'll see the real James Collins next season when TB has had a chance to dabble in the transfer market.

Hermit Crab
19-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Would be banging in more goals if he didn't have to spend 90% of his time with his back to goal.

Think we'll see the real James Collins next season when TB has had a chance to dabble in the transfer market.

Assuming of course butcher doesn't move him on. Possible If he feels he's not up to it.

For the record I like him and hope he does well with us.

Northernhibee
19-01-2014, 10:12 PM
I really like James - hard working striker who will score more goals when he gets better service. His goal vs Hearts was very clever - sandwiched himself between the keeper and I think Hammill, moved at the right moment and the finish was as you'd want.

He's got a brain in his head.

Jonnyboy
19-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Assuming of course butcher doesn't move him on. Possible I he feels he's not up to it.

What makes you say that HC?

Ronniekirk
19-01-2014, 10:56 PM

at times it's worse ,.cant understand what it's not improved by now with coaching ,look at Heff most things stick with him .Not sure Collins will score from distance ,pand if ever he is put through one on one against keeper not convinced he would have composure to put it away . But work rate and scoring from headers and scraps in box he is doing better

LaMotta
19-01-2014, 11:50 PM
at times it's worse ,.cant understand what it's not improved by now with coaching ,look at Heff most things stick with him .Not sure Collins will score from distance ,pand if ever he is put through one on one against keeper not convinced he would have composure to put it away . But work rate and scoring from headers and scraps in box he is doing better

Sums him up perfectly.