PDA

View Full Version : St Mirren and the Ref

SouthMoroccoStu
18-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Good partnership, they should work together every week

That team get a ridiculous amount of protection from the refs

Jim Goodwin? Need I say more

Not blaming the ref for the first 30mins that was our own undoing

But the consistent fouling and time wasting is nothing new yet it never seems to be delt with

Was it a Penalty at the last gasp? Ignoring the others they got away with

hibee_girl
18-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Good partnership, they should work together every week

That team get a ridiculous amount of protection from the refs

Jim Goodwin? Need I say more

Not blaming the ref for the first 30mins that was our own undoing

But the consistent fouling and time wasting is nothing new yet it never seems to be delt with

Was it a Penalty at the last gasp? Ignoring the others they got away with

Ref was awful, yet again.

Definitely looked a penalty :agree:

3pm
18-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Was the ref that bad? I am not so sure. I have seen worse.

Need to see the pen.

SaulGoodman
18-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Need to see the pen.

I thought we were awful, but St Mirren got away with everything, constant little niggles.

A very dirty team and you can see what their gameplay is.

hibee_girl
18-01-2014, 04:27 PM
I thought we were awful, but St Mirren got away with everything, constant little niggles.

I don't remember a St Mirren team that haven't been dirty.

Kato
18-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Some very late tackles throughout many of them ignored. The inconsistency between refs is atrocious never mind their individual displays.

Inch Hibs
18-01-2014, 04:29 PM
How that wasn't a pen was astonishing.

SaulGoodman
18-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Some very late tackles throughout many of them ignored. The inconsistency between refs is atrocious never mind their individual displays.

Kicking, shirt pulling, arms and elbows flying everywhere in challenges all went ignored :agree:

matty_f
18-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Clear penalty at the end. Refs have been terrible this season.

wazoo1875
18-01-2014, 04:33 PM
This thread is hilarious we just got horsed cos we're still pish. Until we get guys in that can win games we'll always be inconsistent. Can't blame the ref today, have a look at the defending. St mirren 3-0 up at easter road after 25 mins, embarrassing!!

Biggie
18-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Refereeing in Scotland's been a joke for years.....hibs rarely get the breaks...imho

SaulGoodman
18-01-2014, 04:35 PM
This thread is hilarious we just got horsed cos we're still pish. Until we get guys in that can win games we'll always be inconsistent. Can't blame the ref today, have a look at the defending. St mirren 3-0 up at easter road after 25 mins, embarrassing!!

**** off onto another thread then, no ones saying that.

Biggie
Whether we were ***** or not is neither here nor there....we got ourselves into a position to get something out the game and the ref done us up the arse...

CB_NO3
What was the pen claim? The hand ball on the wee ginger felly at the end when Harris hit it? If so, that would have been a harsh penalty.

green day
18-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Similar thread on every fans forum of teams that got beat and are pissed off.

I.e look at yakback every week.

wazoo1875
18-01-2014, 04:41 PM

Good response dafty the reason we got pumped is cos we're rubbish. Mind yer language

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-01-2014, 04:44 PM
I was right next to the pen appeal at the end and it looked an absolute stonewaller. The ball was bouncing between two players and the St Mirren defender stuck his hand out and practically pulled the ball down. Still can't believe we didn't get it

loanheadhibby
18-01-2014, 04:44 PM

Oh to have a player like McGowan or Goodwin in our team.

Inch Hibs
18-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Good response dafty the reason we got pumped is cos we're rubbish. Mind yer language

No, we lost because we where denied a stonewall peno. That's a fact.

CallumLaidlaw
18-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Collum is an absolute goon. As usual, that thug Goodwin got away with murder, and his yellow should have been his 2nd.
Poor decisions all over the park from the officials.

QMU-1875
18-01-2014, 04:47 PM

Exactly, we get the penalty and equalise then its an amazing comeback and this place would of had a very different tone. Collum has cost us a point, FACT.

wazoo1875
18-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Bollox we lost because we were 3-0 down to st mirren after 25 minutes. You carry on pretending tho. Facts are facts

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-01-2014, 04:52 PM
No sure that i would put it all down to the ref. We were third best of two for most of the game. No one is saying that everything at Easter Road has been fixed, so can't we write it off to learn a lesson and move on?

Hibercelona
18-01-2014, 04:53 PM
You can say what you want about St Mirren, but they did exactly what they needed to do in order to leave ER with all 3 points.

If we were 3-0 up at a place like parkhead, i'd expect us to do the same sort of thing.

Barney McGrew
18-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Allan Preston said it was a stonewaller. And he despises Hibs.

Case closed.

Westie1875
18-01-2014, 04:55 PM

Goodwin is a liability and contributed to us getting back into the game. Lennon had the sense to remove him before he got sent off today which was unfortunate for us. I wouldn't want that thug anywhere near Hibs.

wazoo1875
18-01-2014, 04:57 PM

Case closed.
Hugh, I believe you and even Preston to a degree, but that ref didn't didnae lose us the game today. Under 11's defending did

CallumLaidlaw

Goodwin?? You must be mad. Guy is just a thug. And swaggers round the pitch like Jamie Hamill

Inch Hibs
Bollox we lost because we were 3-0 down to st mirren after 25 minutes. You carry on pretending tho. Facts are facts

What are you on about?

The fact is we where denied a stone wall pen in Injury time which prevented us from getting a draw regardless of the peformance.

How can you argue otherwise?

wazoo1875
18-01-2014, 05:01 PM
What are you on about?

The fact is we where denied a stone wall pen in Injury time which prevented us from getting a draw regardless of the peformance.

I agree to a certain extent mate, but the first half hour is what cost us, not a late decision. Hibs were awful today, that makes me sad but it's a fact :-(

Barney McGrew
18-01-2014, 05:01 PM
that ref didn't didnae lose us the game today

I don't believe I said he did :cb

Gus Fring
18-01-2014, 05:02 PM

It's hard for players to equalise when they are getting booted, shirts pulled and the opposition are allowed to take as long as possible to do every little wee thing. The ball was sat in the away dugout and Tommy Craig just stared at it. Then Goodwin came round and took the urine when he was giving it back.

We played poorly but even if we had played brilliant, the ref has the ability to stop the game at any point. The reason there's a thread about refs every week on every forum is because the refereeing in scotland has hit all time lows.

Inch Hibs
18-01-2014, 05:03 PM
I agree to a certain extent mate, but the first half hour is what cost us, not a late decision. Hibs were awful today, that makes me sad but it's a fact :-(

I agree with this completely lad but the ref did cost us a point at the end regardless of the first half score and how we played.

Hibercelona
18-01-2014, 05:06 PM
What are you on about?

If we hadn't conceeded 3 goals in the first half an hour, the game wouldn't have came down to a refereeing decision.

We seem to have a lot of games these days that come down to ref decisions. Usually against teams that we should be turning over, without any influence from referees.

Itsnoteasy
18-01-2014, 05:06 PM

:top marks:aok::agree::wink::greengrin:not worth

Got to agree with you

Inch Hibs
18-01-2014, 05:09 PM
If we hadn't conceeded 3 goals in the first half an hour, the game wouldn't have came down to a refereeing decision.

We seem to have a lot of games these days that come down to ref decisions. Usually against teams that we should be turning over, without any influence from referees.

Very true. The ref still denied us the draw tho.

wazoo1875
18-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Och am just pissed off, we were terrible. I wish we could win like that, I wouldn't want us to give the ball back and we should be wasting time when in front with a few minutes to go. We chucked a 2 goal lead away a couple of weeks ago and it annoys me. Nae hard feelings lads. (thumbsupsmiley)

Hibercelona
18-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Very true. The ref still denied us the draw tho.

No, he denied us a penalty.

We denied ourselves anything other than a loss.

loanheadhibby
18-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Goodwin is a liability and contributed to us getting back into the game. Lennon had the sense to remove him before he got sent off today which was unfortunate for us. I wouldn't want that thug anywhere near Hibs.

I agree he is a thug. But he dictated the 1st 60 mins today. Craig and Robertson got nowhere near him. He is a bit like a pantomine dame but the laddie can play. Compare mcgowans contribution to that of cairney (should never play fir hibs again), Craig and Robertson.

SaulGoodman
18-01-2014, 05:13 PM
I agree he is a thug. But he dictated the 1st 60 mins today. Craig and Robertson got nowhere near him. He is a bit like a pantomine dame but the laddie can play. Compare mcgowans contribution to that of cairney (should never play fir hibs again), Craig and Robertson.

The laddie can't play. He runs about shouting at players, the ref, anyone that will listen, elbows players. Gets away with us much as he can before he gets booked and taken off, that's if he doesn't get a straight red. The boys a **** and I'm glad we didn't sign him,

Thecat23
Guys the ref wasn't that bad and Saints were the better team. Goodwin ran the show in midfield and Robbo and Craig didn't win anything from him. He done exactly what he set out to do. We BOTTLED it against him plain and simple.

Harris should be loaned out as even before his injury he wasn't the player that broke through. Cairney was rotten and deserved to be subbed.

Collins was the only one I'd give pass marks too. Never gave up chased everything he could!

Butcher needs a long hard look at these players and personally I'd be making moves this week to get a couple in.

PISTOL1875

You must live a deluded world mate.. We lost because we weren't good enough.. You can blame the ref all you want but it's not the refs fault that HIbs can't defending properly...

davieh
18-01-2014, 05:14 PM
i thought the ref was lenient, but equally so for both teams. though goodwin should have walked, but was also expecting red for robertsons challenge near the end. sounds like the pen decision was bad, tho...

Inch Hibs
No, he denied us a penalty.

We denied ourselves anything other than a loss.

And if the penalty what would have happened? On yeah, we would have drawn.

Thecat23

Agree 100% with this.

CallumLaidlaw
18-01-2014, 05:15 PM

Being a pedant, if the penalty had happened, we'd have got a penalty ;-)
We'd still needed to have scored it.

Emerald
18-01-2014, 05:16 PM

Cairney was worse than awful today but it would be harsh just to single him out. He's far too slow and really shouldn't be anywhere near a Hibs team IMHO of course.

carnoustiehibee
18-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Guys the ref wasn't that bad and Saints were the better team. Goodwin ran the show in midfield and Robbo and Craig didn't win anything from him. He done exactly what he set out to do. We BOTTLED it against him plain and simple.

Harris should be loaned out as even before his injury he wasn't the player that broke through. Cairney was rotten and deserved to be subbed.

Collins was the only one I'd give pass marks too. Never gave up chased everything he could!

Butcher needs a long hard look at these players and personally I'd be making moves this week to get a couple in.

Saves me typing. Collins needs to improve his first touch though. St mirren were sharper more clinical and movement off the ball was a lot better.

Nomeancity
18-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Was in the away end today with a pal from Paisley(he does the same when we go through there). Anyway they were all convinced it was a pen at the end and thought they had got away with it.

Hibercelona
18-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Goodwin may be a complete dirty who would never make it at a higher level. But in this league, his dirtiness allows him to control the midfield by putting the fear into opposition players.

As much as we all resent him, he simply does what works best for himself and his team. That's why they play him week in week out.

DaveF
18-01-2014, 05:34 PM

Yep, totally agree.

That said, Collum is a poor referee. Loves the sound of his whistle and is a sucker for every dramatic fall to the ground from any player, rushing over to give a free kick.

Northernhibee
18-01-2014, 05:38 PM

...yes, we were three nil down, but we got it to three two and were denied a stonewall penalty.

I can imagine fans of one team finding that hilarious, but not Hibs fans.

eastterrace
18-01-2014, 05:39 PM

we might have missed it so you cant tell what would happen.

PatHead
18-01-2014, 05:39 PM
We were poor today but the referee didn't have a good game. Apart from allowing time wasting he was very inconsistent. Why no booking at the celebration of the first goal, how did Hibs get a corner in the second half when Collins headed it out and it was definitely a penalty at the end, how did he not give it?

In reply to the posters saying we were bad today I agree and we probably didn't deserve anything but the ref did cost us at the end. It would have completed a great comeback and the players did keep fighting to the end.

Inch Hibs
18-01-2014, 05:40 PM
we might have missed it so you cant tell what would happen.

But the odds where in our favor of scoring and would have drawn - if it wasn't for the ref.

cabbageandribs1875
18-01-2014, 05:43 PM
TB just said collum got a good look at it...the player picked it up with his hands and collum played it on

Alfred E Newman
18-01-2014, 05:44 PM
I was right next to the pen appeal at the end and it looked an absolute stonewaller. The ball was bouncing between two players and the St Mirren defender stuck his hand out and practically pulled the ball down. Still can't believe we didn't get it

That's the way I saw it from the West Lower. We didn't deserve anything from the game but it looked a stone wall penalty.

Inch Hibs
18-01-2014, 05:49 PM
TB just said collum got a good look at it...the player picked it up with his hands and collum played it on

Ban for Butch then.

lucky
18-01-2014, 06:00 PM

I agree with all of this but the ref did miss the hand ball at the death

greenlex
18-01-2014, 06:14 PM
If Goodwin was booked for the elbow them its violent conduct and should have ben red. Notwithstanding this he had a forearm smash on the back of someones head early in the game too. I think hes a bawbag to be fair.

PISTOL1875
18-01-2014, 06:14 PM
But the odds where in our favor of scoring and would have drawn - if it wasn't for the ref.

HOw can you say the odds were in our favour ?? It was either gonna be a goal or it wasn't.. That's 2/1 in my book.. You are probably better saying nothing from now on.

Inch Hibs
18-01-2014, 06:18 PM
HOw can you say the odds were in our favour ?? It was either gonna be a goal or it wasn't.. That's 2/1 in my book.. You are probably better saying nothing from now on.

Chill Henderson.

If a team has a penalty the odds are in favour of the penalty taker. 2/1 aye?

clerriehibs
18-01-2014, 06:20 PM

Case closed.

Absolutely.

He hates Hibs, and takes any opportunity ti wind us up. Had we been given it, he'd have called it "extremely harsh".

Furthermore, nno-one in the press box would be in a position to call it, because the saints player's back was to them.

Preston's an absolute tit - case closed on that, at least.

PISTOL1875
18-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Chill Henderson.

If a team has a penalty the odds are in favour of the penalty taker. 2/1 aye?

yes 2/1 .. There's only 2 possible outcomes... He is either gonna score or he isn't..

Inch Hibs
18-01-2014, 06:31 PM
yes 2/1 .. There's only 2 possible outcomes... He is either gonna score or he isn't..

There is absolutely no danger any bookies in the world would offer odds of 2/1 when a team has a penalty buddy. One penalty is probably missed is in football out if 10 so your looking at 1/10 odds.

hibbymick
18-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Saves me typing. Collins needs to improve his first touch though. St mirren were sharper more clinical and movement off the ball was a lot better.

I agree. My mate kept moaning about collins first touch, i never really picked up on it until he mentioned it and he wasnt wrong. Theres no question about his workrate though so hopefully its something he can improve on.

snooky
18-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Irrespective of the result today, that was as poor a display of refereeing a football match you'll see.
Although the majority of the poor decisions were against us there were a couple the other way too, IMO.
He called for fouls that were 50/50 challenges, let handballs go, let thuggery go on (Craig on Goodwin should've been a yellow and Goodwin's elbow a defo red), allowed excessive time wasting, etc.
I've seen Colum several times and one thing I've noticed, he is consistent - that is, consistently incompetent.
As a wag once said " He spoilt a bad game"

theonlywayisup
18-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Didn't think the ref was that bad today. Is that a measure of my eyesight or the standard of Scottish refs?

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2014, 07:26 PM
I didn't think the ref was bad. It's just when you're getting pumped you think every little things going against you. Some of the stuff folk were shouting for around me was incredible.

PISTOL1875
18-01-2014, 07:47 PM
There is absolutely no danger any bookies in the world would offer odds of 2/1 when a team has a penalty buddy. One penalty is probably missed is in football out if 10 so your looking at 1/10 odds.

Stuff the bookies.. With a penalty you either score or you miss.. 50/50 or 2/1. its the same odds whatever way you look at it..

inglisavhibs
18-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Need to see the pen.
i though the ref was good. The penalty I think was on his blind side, my first impression was a penalty but we will see later on TV.

Libby Hibby
18-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Stuff the bookies.. With a penalty you either score or you miss.. 50/50 or 2/1. its the same odds whatever way you look at it..

50/50 ain't 2/1 but evens or is that the joke?

Tinribs
18-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Goodwin?? You must be mad. Guy is just a thug. And swaggers round the pitch like Jamie Hamill

The one thing i can say about Jim Goodwin, is he never gets bullied. Not saying he is Hibs class, but that kind of determination (minus the GBH) is a good quality. Tin hat firmly on head, with a spare under my buttocks :greengrin

Inch Hibs
18-01-2014, 09:10 PM

:) your getting ripped when I see you mate.

stoneyburn hibs
18-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Didn't think the ref was that bad today. Is that a measure of my eyesight or the standard of Scottish refs?

A bit of both, the ref seemed for the first 45 to try and let the game flow, after that he decided he was a Scottish referee.

Libby Hibby
18-01-2014, 09:25 PM
A bit of both, the ref seemed for the first 45 to try and let the game flow, after that he decided he was a Scottish referee.

Ref wasn't that bad today, he just officiates in a manner that any contact or any player falling over we blows up for a foul...it's frustrating for all to spectate as most of us have played the game at some sort level and know that the fouls Collum gives are not fouls, it just breaks up play...perhaps the problem lies that no Scottish refs have played the game or perhaps that's just the way they are coached. In saying that, baldy ref against He0r7s was pretty decent.

ehf
18-01-2014, 10:01 PM

Eh? Harris was injured after one and a quarter competitive games. He was superb in the second half today.

ehf
18-01-2014, 10:05 PM

Da*** you on?

ehf
18-01-2014, 10:08 PM
i though the ref was good. The penalty I think was on his blind side, my first impression was a penalty but we will see later on TV.

Cast iron penalty right in front of the ref.

Criswell
18-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Thought the refereeing today was brutally awful. The St Mirren players quickly sussed that everytime there was any contact they could go down and win a free kick from this clown. This was invaluable to them for time-wasting and breaking up any rythmn to the game. On the other hand, he perveresly gave us next to nothing. I would be interested to see how many fouls he awarded to them and how many to us.

The penalty decision at the end just put the tin lid on a dismal performance.

Stax
18-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Eh? Harris was injured after one and a quarter competitive games. He was superb in the second half today.
This, no way he would have been brought on when he was if Mcgivern hadn't come off injured. No where near match sharp but still stood out 2nd half. Suggestions of loaning him out when our main problem is creativity & lack of pace baffles me tbo.

Casey1875
18-01-2014, 10:48 PM

Really nice reply.

hibbysam
18-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Anyone who wants that thug Goodwin anywhere near our team need there heads checked... No wonder were ***** if we are settling for Jim Goodwin!

He kicks and elbows and punches anything in sight then plays a 5 yard pass and people make him out to be Paul Scholes.

What really annoyed me more than anything today was there centre half McGregor? pulling at people anytime they went near him and us getting nothing, and Thompson up front holding Nelson's shirt everytime stopping him jumping.

Stonewall penalty at the end... The boy basically picked the ball up and ran away with it... If Collum couldn't see it he should be out the game, but what worries me is the lino standing on half way at that side of the pitch staring right at it bottling it to make a big call.

The time wasting was also a joke today and allowed to go on... Why look at your watch? Why not just flash a yellow card and if they continue to do so show a red card? Suppose this would be too much like following rules. Also I thought leaving the pitch to celebrate a goal was a booking but that's yet another rule down to interpretation by the looks of it... No consistency at all.

SaulGoodman
18-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Really nice reply.

Good job it wasn't directed at you or I'd hate to see how you'd react :wink:

Casey1875
18-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Good job it wasn't directed at you or I'd hate to see how you'd react :wink:

I suppose so! Just feel this is a place for opinions to be shared and replies like your previous is hardly constructive. I suppose it's a case of none of my business though...

snooky
18-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Anyone who wants that thug Goodwin anywhere near our team need there heads checked... No wonder were ***** if we are settling for Jim Goodwin!

He kicks and elbows and punches anything in sight then plays a 5 yard pass and people make him out to be Paul Scholes.

What really annoyed me more than anything today was there centre half McGregor? pulling at people anytime they went near him and us getting nothing, and Thompson up front holding Nelson's shirt everytime stopping him jumping.

Stonewall penalty at the end... The boy basically picked the ball up and ran away with it... If Collum couldn't see it he should be out the game, but what worries me is the lino standing on half way at that side of the pitch staring right at it bottling it to make a big call.

The time wasting was also a joke today and allowed to go on... Why look at your watch? Why not just flash a yellow card and if they continue to do so show a red card? Suppose this would be too much like following rules. Also I thought leaving the pitch to celebrate a goal was a booking but that's yet another rule down to interpretation by the looks of it... No consistency at all.

In the second half, when the St Mirren player put the ball out for a throw in at the east side and a Hibs player came in late.
The ball was already out of play when the tackle went in. Collum gave them a free kick. :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
18-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Goodwin-horrible talentless yet effective thug. Every SPFL team needs one sadly. Only way to manage him is for ref to act early, if he doesn't goodwin type players team get an advantage.

Today it was irrelevant - ref was way too fussy and missed a lot but we were very very poor- fenlonesque tactics. If any of paul hanlons doubters needed any proof of what he brings today should be enough. Harris aside I worry we are pitching the other young forwards in too early, st mirrens agricultural defenders shut them all out. Only positive for me today was the tireless james collins, does it all himself, what could he do with service that wasn't a punt upfield? No obvious tactics today.

If st mirren hadn't gone for defending what they had and time wasting we could have had a right doing!

Onward and upward.

Stonewall
19-01-2014, 05:53 AM

I think I must be misunderstanding your point. If I'm not and you're right you've just revolutionised the subject of statistics and can expect a Nobel prize.

It's only 2/1 if the chances of either outcome are the same. In terms of penalties this is demonstrably not the case.

Tricla
19-01-2014, 07:49 AM

No.

We 'were' 3-0 down (and rightly so) then fought back valiantly to 3-2. Then somehow that whistle happy imp of a man missed a stonewall penalty that would have given us a deserved chance of a draw.

We didn't lose because we were pish. On the balance of play we were worthy of a draw at least.

Tricla
19-01-2014, 07:56 AM

You thought the ref was good? :confused:

It's a contact sport and he blew for everything. The game was endlessly stop start because of him. There was a free kick every 30 seconds and most of them were to Saints.

I was in the west lower and he was directly between me and the pen incident. How he or his linesman never saw it is mind boggling.

Little welt of a man.

PISTOL1875
19-01-2014, 05:14 PM
I think I must be misunderstanding your point. If I'm not and you're right you've just revolutionised the subject of statistics and can expect a Nobel prize.

It's only 2/1 if the chances of either outcome are the same. In terms of penalties this is demonstrably not the case.

My brain is frazzled on this.. You either score or miss from a penalty.. I'm not the greatest when it comes to odds.. Hahaha