PDA

View Full Version : Automated turnstiles

Hedlund12
18-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Great idea and cuts costs to club but I'm hoping that I don't have to queue every (other) week like I did today... also one of the gates was a cash gate which seemed to make queues bigger for turnstiles beside it... Hope they have pods to buy tickets going forward as advantage today was to those paying to get in....shorter queues. ..

Pretty Boy
18-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Was a bit of a shambles today imo.

I joined the queue just before quarter to and missed kick off.

Still it's a good idea and there was always going to be teething problems.

Onceinawhile
18-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Took me twenty minutes to get in at the derby. Problem seemed to be 1) season tickets not scanning and 2) tickets scanning, people not realising, trying to rescan and getting kb'd.

sure once people get the hang of it, It'll speed up.

hibee_girl
18-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Good idea in theory but absolute shambles today. Took me 25-30 minutes to get into the east stand.

Was it announced beforehand that they'd all be self scanning today and I missed it?

leemel
18-01-2014, 04:31 PM
disgrace.missed the start and first goal due to folk walking in even later than me.

hibee
18-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Only one machine working for top tier of famous five so queue was massive and the guy didn't have a clue how to fix it either. Can't be that difficult to check it's working before the crowds arrive.

SaulGoodman
18-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Apparently if you push the turnstile before your card is scanned the whole system has to be reset :faf:

Jack
18-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Had trouble 1 out of 3 times with self printed tickets so wasn't looking forward to self scanned too.

Everything went well in the East where I was.

Andy74
18-01-2014, 04:49 PM
It's not very clear what way you're card goes in. A wee picture would help.

20 minute queues at all turnstiles in the East. Missed the first goal.

Not good.

GreenCastle
18-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Will be fine if they had more open.

I scanned my ST today in the East - it went green then i pushed the gate - but seemed like I might have pushed too early after scanning as then it didn't open - 2 more pushes and it did!

Hopefully they can sort it - many people must have missed 1st goal and if we didn't have a scoreboard would have thought the score 2v2! I turned up in reasonable time and still came in late but did see the 1st goal :rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
18-01-2014, 04:59 PM
It's not very clear what way you're card goes in.

Really?

It wasn't difficult to work out, there's a hole where you put your card.

Andy74
18-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Really?

It was difficult enough for every second person to have to move it from end on to side on if they didn't happen to guess right first time. It seems to only work long side on. The stewards kept having to come I and tell people the right way it needs to go into said hole. Evidently it was an issue.

Thanks for your input though.

hibee_girl
18-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Not good.

There was a picture though or at least there was an image on the screen of the scanner I used.

The scanner itself seemed simple enough to use so not sure why the queues were so big.

Was surprised they didn't delay kick off tbh.

Gus Fring
18-01-2014, 05:20 PM
One of the stewards said to me the readers only read the barcodes in one direction. If you put it in the "wrong way" it doesn't read. That needs to be sorted if true.

wearethehibs
18-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Wait people couldn't work it? Like seriously? Actual human adults were having trouble with it?

Andy74
18-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Wait people couldn't work it? Like seriously? Actual human adults were having trouble with it?

That would indicate there is an issue really eh?

Take the simple part of it reading the bar code. Most people these days are used to bar codes reading at any sort of angle really. Unless you know the issue is that it has to be a certain way you will probably wiggle it about or take it in and out the same way again hoping it reads. Some might turn it round. It all adds up to time taken. Seems to be some timing issue as well with pushing the gate.

oconnors_strip
18-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Some people were queuing and didn't realise the automated turnstiles were now in operation, a bit of communication would have been helpful. Also a sign up beside the entrance giving you a step by step guide on how to scan your card/ticket would be helpful, this would help newcomers/tourists.

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2014, 05:48 PM
F5 lower turnstile kept jamming - takes 20 seconds to reset apparently!

I thought the traffic lights were supposed to show the steward on the other side if it's a concession coming through or an adult. I asked the boy and he didn't know!

DaveF
18-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Did Hibs publicise the fact this was happening? It looked like a nightmare all over the shop and it certainly was at the West Upper.

oconnors_strip
18-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Did Hibs publicise the fact this was happening? It looked like a nightmare all over the shop and it certainly was at the West Upper.

It was in an email I got from the club yesterday-

Following the success of the self-scanning turnstiles in the East and Famous Five Stand over recent games, the new system has now been extended to the majority of sections at Easter Road Stadium.

At tomorrow’s match, there will be four cash gates in operation in the West Stand, which will be manned by turnstile operators; everywhere else you can self-scan.

Against St Mirren and Celtic, Stewards and staff from Ticketmaster will be on-hand to assist the self-scan entry process externally and will also be supported by stewards inside the stadium, who will monitor the traffic light system, which indicates the price class of the person coming through the turnstile.

There have been a number of improvements in the Ticketing and Access System in recent months, which was started off with the removal of online booking fees; a move that was warmly received by all supporters.

Alfred E Newman
18-01-2014, 05:52 PM

Not good.
:confused:
It should be pretty obvious that the bar code has to go under the scanner as the "wee picture" over the scanner shows.

lucky
18-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Worked well for me. Walked up around 1430 put my card in and pushed the turnstile.

Andy74
18-01-2014, 05:59 PM
:confused:
It should be pretty obvious that the bar code has to go under the scanner as the "wee picture" over the scanner shows.

I think everyone will know it has to go under the scanner.

Is not the norm for bar codes now to have to be a certain way so it's not obvious at all that the picture is an indication of the exact way it has to go.

Once everyone has done it once then that's fine but the big delays shows that it wasn't set up to be quite so obvious as it should be. In fact the thing should scan whatever way you put it.

clerriehibs
18-01-2014, 06:00 PM
One of the stewards said to me the readers only read the barcodes in one direction. If you put it in the "wrong way" it doesn't read. That needs to be sorted if true.

Can't believe that, and suspect the steward is talking pish or the message was musunderstood.

If the scannet only read in one direction, then hibs seem to have unilaterally developed the only non-multidirectional scanner for public use in the world.

What wouldn't work is big thumbs covering the bar code ... maybe that's what the steward meant?

Andy74
18-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Can't believe that, and suspect the steward is talking pish or the message was musunderstood.

If the scannet only read in one direction, then hibs seem to have unilaterally developed the only non-multidirectional scanner for public use in the world.

What wouldn't work is big thumbs covering the bar code ... maybe that's what the steward meant?

For whatever reason that's what happened. Cards were being waved in and out of the thing but they had to be the exact way round to be read.

As you say that's not typical and that's why people weren't immediately thinking that the orientation of the thing was the issue until told.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Queues were ridiculous but it worked first time for me.

clerriehibs
18-01-2014, 06:06 PM
For whatever reason that's what happened. Cards were being waved in and out of the thing but they had to be the exact way round to be read.

As you say that's not typical and that's why people weren't immediately thinking that the orientation of the thing was the issue until told.

It's credit card sized - there IS only one way it could be presented without the bar code being upside down or covered by a thumb!!

wookie70
18-01-2014, 06:09 PM
The kids and I got through without issue. It was the 15 minute wait before it that was an issue. Looks like a good idea but was poorly done today with little in the way of support at the gate I enter by.

ekhibee
18-01-2014, 06:12 PM
I arrived at about 2.50 and wasn't aware of the new scanning system in the West Stand. Cues were huge. Eventually the stewards brought this wee guy out with a hand-held scanner and after that we were let through an open door. Bit disorganized to say the least, but now that everybody knows about it there shouldn't be so much of a problem next time.

HibeeSince85
18-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Good idea and all but mine took a few scans to get me in and that was about half 2! There was also two operators on the turnstile. Could have done the job themselves in half the time.

frazeHFC
18-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Shambles. Was on the phone to my dad while I was stuck outside. He said the game had started. Woman comes out and tells us the game hadn't started and was being postponed for now. She walked away and then we heard St Mirren score. Either she is thick as **** or she was lieing.

Pretty Boy
18-01-2014, 06:30 PM
F5 lower turnstile kept jamming - takes 20 seconds to reset apparently!

I thought the traffic lights were supposed to show the steward on the other side if it's a concession coming through or an adult. I asked the boy and he didn't know!

Yep that was the problem at the turnstiles I used.

Guy 2 in front of me couldn't get his card to scan so got taken through a disable entrance, guy in front of me had same problem so then I had to stand and wait for the whole thing to reset before I could go through. My card scanned ok thankfully.

It might only be 20 seconds but if 3 or 4 people in a row have an issue that starts to add up.

3pm
18-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Shambles. Was on the phone to my dad while I was stuck outside. He said the game had started. Woman comes out and tells us the game hadn't started and was being postponed for now. She walked away and then we heard St Mirren score. Either she is thick as **** or she was lieing.

I think she told our back 4 that the game hadn't started either. Boot.

Hedlund12
18-01-2014, 06:43 PM

PMSL... class response...😂

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2014, 06:49 PM

:hilarious

down-the-slope
18-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Worked well for me. Walked up around 1430 put my card in and pushed the turnstile.

:agree: likewise..

Then after buying HH ticket I look round adult having to have it explained which way up card had to go....:rolleyes: then after much fumbling he gets its scanned.....AND....stands waiting :rolleyes: (obviously failing to understand there is no human to tell you to actually MOVE).....so turnstyle resets after 5 secs....

I though at that point it would not take many such clueless individuals to balls it up...so was not surprised at KO to see only 5k ish in ground....

Hopefully a couple of weeks and some of the ludites will catch on...

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2014, 07:17 PM

Then after buying HH ticket I look round adult having to have it explained which way up card had to go....:rolleyes: then after much fumbling he gets its scanned.....AND....stands waiting :rolleyes: (obviously failing to understand there is no human to tell you to actually MOVE).....so turnstyle resets after 5 secs....

I though at that point it would not take many such clueless individuals to balls it up...so was not surprised at KO to see only 5k ish in ground....

Both me and my daughter looked at the picture on the box, put our card in the right way, the machine went green but the turnstile didn't open - we had to wait 20 seconds each time for the gate to reset.

Neither of us are stupid and neither of us are afraid of change.

stoneyburn hibs
18-01-2014, 07:37 PM
After queuing from 20 minutes before k/o at turnstyle 43 in the east the steward let my son through then with dozens behind me he told me to go to another queue as the it was not working properly, told him to bolt as i was with my son and no danger was i joining another queue.
To my surprise he wasnt anal and let me through.

Twiglet
18-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Stood in the queue for about 10/15 minutes and took less than 10 seconds to get through - scan card face up (red light shining down when I looked at machine made obvious), little screen flashed green (with my seat details), heard turnstile "click" (like it does when someone was behind the desk pressing the button) walked through. No problem.

matty_f
18-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Me and my son got in fine but it didn't work for my dad and it had to be reset, and he did the same thing we did.

Jonnyboy
18-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Went in through Gate 46 in the East. Arrived at 2.45 and strolled in no bother!

Baldy Foghorn
18-01-2014, 08:29 PM
A boy in the West put money in, thinking the scanner would accept cash:rolleyes:

Hiber-nation
18-01-2014, 08:33 PM

FFS it was the first time so no wonder some punters didn't know what to do when there were no instructions or notices to say the turnstlies were self-scan.

It was a matter of guessing. And as others have said, it didn't always work.

stoneyburn hibs
18-01-2014, 08:33 PM
A boy in the West put money in, thinking the scanner would accept cash:rolleyes:

Haha, would have loved to have seen that.

down-the-slope
18-01-2014, 08:55 PM

:hilarious breathalyser required

GreenCastle
18-01-2014, 09:11 PM

:faf::faf:

steakbake
18-01-2014, 09:47 PM
I was stuck outside today till 15mins in. I think once folk get the hang of it, it'll be ok.

Andy74
18-01-2014, 09:50 PM
It's credit card sized - there IS only one way it could be presented without the bar code being upside down or covered by a thumb!!

Maybe yours was different. It was a big wide scanning area and the card could have gone in all sorts of ways.

down-the-slope
18-01-2014, 10:06 PM
Went in through Gate 46 in the East. Arrived at 2.45 and strolled in no bother!

so you can teach old dogs new tricks :greengrin

FFS it was the first time so no wonder some punters didn't know what to do when there were no instructions or notices to say the turnstlies were self-scan.

It was a matter of guessing. And as others have said, it didn't always work.

Hibs sent out plenty info letting people know of progress of this roll out and that by today would be mostly self scan - pretty intuative for most

I was stuck outside today till 15mins in. I think once folk get the hang of it, it'll be ok.

:agree: been proven to be better / quicker than with operators in many stadia

Maybe yours was different. It was a big wide scanning area and the card could have gone in all sorts of ways.

:agree: its so that ST cards / printed tickets / print at home A4 can all be used....barcode showing upwards length wise (just like self scan check outs.....which maybe shows who has never done the shopping :wink:)

oconnors_strip
18-01-2014, 10:09 PM
so you can teach old dogs new tricks :greengrin

Hibs sent out plenty info letting people know of progress of this roll out and that by today would be mostly self scan - pretty intuative for most

:agree: been proven to be better / quicker than with operators in many stadia

:agree: its so that ST cards / printed tickets / print at home A4 can all be used....barcode showing upwards length wise (just like self scan check outs.....which maybe shows who has never done the shopping :wink:)

They didn't send out plenty info about it being self scanning today, many people who sit around me didn't have a clue. Some are older who don't use the internet and some are young.

Hibs should have communicated it better, large notices outside the turnstiles.

Brightside
18-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Stood in the queue for about 10/15 minutes and took less than 10 seconds to get through - scan card face up (red light shining down when I looked at machine made obvious), little screen flashed green (with my seat details), heard turnstile "click" (like it does when someone was behind the desk pressing the button) walked through. No problem.

hard to get wrong. worked a treat in west.

ardecos
18-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Really?

As the actress said to the bishop :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Pretty shambolic tbh. I got in in perfect time just to see the ball bouncing off Williams and into the net. Had better starts to games.

Person behind me in the queue was giving it "this is a ****ing joke!! A couple of wins and all the glory hunters are out in force. Not seen it this busy since Mowbray was in charge!" Couldn't even be bothered trying to explain the new system to him.

Should be good long term.

Hibby70
18-01-2014, 10:32 PM
I scanned mine and it asked if I wanted a huge Dairy Milk for a pound!

Andy Bee
18-01-2014, 10:33 PM
No problems at all here, bought the ticket, entered it in the slot barcode first, proceeded through the turnstile without a hitch to a warm welcome from three stewards. To be fair though I was at the Man City game.

thebakerboy
18-01-2014, 10:39 PM
I'm in the FF upper and this was my 4th. time using system and the first 2 were fine but last 2 have been a problem. The screen is difficult to see and should be higher or at an angle , I'm not big and had trouble seeing and understanding screen . When I put my card under it already was saying OK go through but turnstyle wouldn't move , tried several times and after about 4 attempts got through. I am not a youngster but I am very aware and understand technology (worked with computers for 30 years) and do not find this system very clear.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-01-2014, 10:52 PM
First time using it today and had no problem, was in within seconds, no doubt something goes wrong next week for me though and i have folk screaming and shouting behind me:faf:

iwasthere1972
18-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Used the scanner at the derby and today and no problem. It's pretty obvious how you have to put your card in for it to be scanned. If not then folk will soon learn.

Old guy I saw had no problem with the queue at gate 27 for FF upper. In fact he just bypassed the queue completely walked in front of me and entered the stadium. He was about 70 so didn't give him any abuse. Had to show him which way his card went for it to be scanned so he should know the next time.

SaulGoodman
19-01-2014, 01:13 AM
I had no problem with it.

You put the card in face up, sideways as if you were showing it to someone.

You don't put it in facing you, upside down, back to front or whatever other crazy way some folk must've tried and expect the magic barcode reader to work.

Beefster
19-01-2014, 06:39 AM
That would indicate there is an issue really eh?

Take the simple part of it reading the bar code. Most people these days are used to bar codes reading at any sort of angle really. Unless you know the issue is that it has to be a certain way you will probably wiggle it about or take it in and out the same way again hoping it reads. Some might turn it round. It all adds up to time taken. Seems to be some timing issue as well with pushing the gate.

You're right, Andy. If a system isn't intuitive to use then it's not the users at fault, it's the designers and/or implementers. From everything I know about interaction design, there are numerous things wrong with the turnstile system.

If offices, universities and libraries can get systems of automated entry that are intuitive and almost flawless, it shouldn't be beyond a football club.

down-the-slope
19-01-2014, 08:59 AM
You're right, Andy. If a system isn't intuitive to use then it's not the users at fault, it's the designers and/or implementers. From everything I know about interaction design, there are numerous things wrong with the turnstile system.

If offices, universities and libraries can get systems of automated entry that are intuitive and almost flawless, it shouldn't be beyond a football club.

Most of these institutions don't have a large % trying to use their system inebriated.

vast majority seem to have found it intuitive and quick - HOWEVER - it only takes a few in any system to have a problem to cause a massive log jam..and with a queue behind stress = more likelyhood of keep getting it wrong. I think staff needed to be closer on hand to help (as management said they would) for this main roll out

Beefster
19-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Most of these institutions don't have a large % trying to use their system

I'm not sure the point, DTS. A system that works is a system that works. Numbers don't really come into how intuitive a system is to use. Irrespective of numbers, when somewhere between 20% and 50% of users are struggling to interact with something, there's a problem with the design.

Aside from that, some universities and offices have thousands using their system over a wide area every day.

marinello59
19-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Most of these institutions don't have a large % trying to use their system inebriated

There were plenty of sober, sensible people having problems yesterday.

sahib
19-01-2014, 09:22 AM
It was in an email I got from the club yesterday-

Following the success of the self-scanning turnstiles in the East and Famous Five Stand over recent games, the new system has now been extended to the majority of sections at Easter Road Stadium.

At tomorrow’s match, there will be four cash gates in operation in the West Stand, which will be manned by turnstile operators; everywhere else you can self-scan.

Against St Mirren and Celtic, Stewards and staff from Ticketmaster will be on-hand to assist the self-scan entry process externally and will also be supported by stewards inside the stadium, who will monitor the traffic light system, which indicates the price class of the person coming through the turnstile.

There have been a number of improvements in the Ticketing and Access System in recent months, which was started off with the removal of online booking fees; a move that was warmly received by all supporters.

I got this email and thought I'd give it a miss. How do you get in, in the rain, with a soggy sheet of A4 with a bar code on it, I thinks. I hate printing anything at home or work, anyway.

cabbageandribs1875
19-01-2014, 09:25 AM
i'm glad i decided not to go yesterday, p@sh performance from the team and i would have queued 20 mins for the privilage to get into see it, then another 2-25 mins queuing for a bovril :rolleyes:

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2014, 09:26 AM
When we turned up at 2:45 and saw the queues outside the FF we thought the crowd was going to be 15,000 as we had no idea the automatic system was starting on Saturday.

The two kids went through first, but the first kid turned to speak to kid 2 before pushing the turnstyle .. by the time he did push it was too late .... a lesson learned.

If a fair weather fan turns up does the system say ..... "unexpected fan in the turnstyle area"

sahib
19-01-2014, 09:36 AM
When we turned up at 2:45 and saw the queues outside the FF we thought the crowd was going to be 15,000 as we had no idea the automatic system was starting on Saturday.

The two kids went through first, but the first kid turned to speak to kid 2 before pushing the turnstyle .. by the time he did push it was too late .... a lesson learned.

If a fair weather fan turns up does the system say ..... "unexpected fan in the turnstyle area"

:greengrin

I liked it.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-01-2014, 09:41 AM
I got this email and thought I'd give it a miss. How do you get in, in the rain, with a soggy sheet of A4 with a bar code on it, I thinks. I hate printing anything at home or work, anyway.

First up I was unable to attend yesterday so like you don't talk from personal experience.

This option is clearly never going to be for you it seems? but you raise a valid point and one that Garry O'Hagan was certainly mindful of when he looked at this initiative - it was he that talked about inkjet printouts in the scenario you oultined. Most folks won't go waving a paper ticket around in the rain you'd hope and for those with issue would be dealt with at manned turnstiles with hand scanners and the like. Fact finding missions were conducted at QPR if I recall correctly. As with most things it will take a wee time to bed in but to be fair to the club they've trialled it first and there's only so much you can do to let folks know what the deal is regarding the change. I imagine once the majority get the knack of the automated gates it should be quicker, improve flow and and allow more time to deal with exceptional cases.

Hibby70
19-01-2014, 09:42 AM
The readers seem to be overly sensitive to a sweet point. I put my card in the correct way but had to adjust the height of it so it was about half way up in the gap (initially I had it flat on the surface).

Think now that everyone has done it once it should be fine.

Disc O'Dave
19-01-2014, 10:38 AM
The readers seem to be overly sensitive to a sweet point. I put my card in the correct way but had to adjust the height of it so it was about half way up in the gap (initially I had it flat on the surface).

Indeed - maybe a wee note above the slot saying that would have saved me

a) feeling like an idiot
b) being spoken to like one by the staff

just because it seemed more logical to me to have the beam focussed a card thickness above the flat surface, thereby ensuring everyone's card would be at the same height......also, having to remove it first to let the system activate also seemed slightly strange....so you don't know if it has been successful until afterwards....

But as you say, I'll know next time.

overdrive
19-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Not everybody. By the time I reached the turnstile for the FF Upper, they had a steward scanning it for everybody (probably because the game had kicked off). It took 15-20 attempts by the steward for my card to work. Not looking forward to next week.

Glory Lurker
19-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Is the South Stand automated now, too? At least if we're not likely to beat Celtc next week, we can at least have a good laugh at them not being able to get in to see it! Nobody warn them, now! :greengrin

AndyB_70
19-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I scanned my ticket and it all went well. As I stepped forward to push the turnstile the bloke behind me put his ticket under the scanner before I started to push through and it jammed. Was he trying to join me? Wait a few seconds and it's all good. Why the freaking rush?

Hiber-nation
19-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Never read or was sent anything about it.

Some patronising comments on this thread..."ludites" indeed!!

mim
19-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Cash is king. Nae queues at west stand cash gates.

semaj64
19-01-2014, 01:04 PM

There was a small sentence in the newsletter that was sent out, mind you I only read it this morning!

s.a.m
19-01-2014, 01:27 PM

It was a surprise to me too (not suggesting that that's anybody's fault but mine, but I can't remember being sent anything :dunno:). I wonder if it might have been an idea to have a poster with instructions / diagram outside so that people knew beforehand what to expect. I suppose the main problem, though, was the lack of a plan B in case it all went erse over lady bumps. The queue I was waiting in was eventually re-routed through the doors at about 3.10, and our cards were instead checked by a human with a hand-held scanner. When it became clear that there were problems, I think it would have made sense to use the doors / mobile scanners earlier on, and get the queues shifted.

KingFranck
19-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Is the South Stand automated now, too? At least if we're not likely to beat Celtc next week, we can at least have a good laugh at them not being able to get in to see it! Nobody warn them, now! :greengrin

It was the only stand yesterday that wasn't automated no idea if it will be in place next week it's ticketmaster that are responsible for setting them up so only they would have the answer

down-the-slope
19-01-2014, 05:26 PM
looks like mixing genuine comments with a the odd tongue in cheek remark has grumped some - oooppss bad me :aok:

GreenCastle
19-01-2014, 05:39 PM
What other stadiums in Scotland use this system?

I know many in England use it.

Think things will settle down once people get the hang of it / they open more turnstiles.

Winston Ingram
19-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Easy enough to work out and i thought the instructions were very clear.

Old Guy in front of me didn't think so. He couldnae work it out at all and was ragin. Change is not good:grr:

Winston Ingram
19-01-2014, 05:47 PM

Think things will settle down once people get the hang of it / they open more turnstiles.

St Mirren do

Hedlund12
19-01-2014, 06:33 PM
St Mirren do

Cash is king. Nae queues at west stand cash gates.

The times I've been to St Mirren their system seemed to work pretty well.

For away fans - it was a ticket only system (no cash gates) - you had to buy your ticket from the pod then everyone used the automated turnstiles.... (avoiding small queues at cash gates and a couple of turnstiles being under utilised where there is large queues elsewhere)

I'm sure in a couple of weeks it will all work perfectly well......

Scouse Hibee
19-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Teething problems that is all.

TrinityHibs
19-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Most systems (Tesco) I have used you place the card code face down. Mind you still not a challenge to get in.

Scouse Hibee
19-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Most systems (Tesco) I have used you place the card code face down. Mind you still not a challenge to get in.

Clearly the scanner was above and not below as in Tesco,pretty obvious too.

TamHibs
20-01-2014, 07:18 AM

St Mirren & Celtic use them that I know of. Found the scanning system very easy to navigate, it was the queues that were the worst, turned up at 3.40 & made it in for just after kick off.

iwasthere1972
20-01-2014, 07:25 AM
The automated system will be in place in the south stand for the visit of the weegies. The only difference is that they will be required to remove their trousers and underpants, wipe the printout of ticket along the crack of their erse and the system will know that one ersehole has entered the stadium.

Simples.

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2014, 07:57 AM
St Mirren & Celtic use them that I know of. Found the scanning system very easy to navigate, it was the queues that were the worst, turned up at 3.40 & made it in for just after kick off.

That's a real achievement. :greengrin

down-the-slope
20-01-2014, 08:07 AM

That's a real achievement. :greengrin
there is a crack in the space time continuum ..... shame no one went through it at HT :rolleyes:

Steve-O
20-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Scanner used here in Wellington is barcode facing up, easy to use and never any queues at the turnstiles to get in.

Bighoose
20-01-2014, 12:27 PM
I thought they should have had Staff outside, telling us how to the self scanning while we were queuing. E.g. card goes face up etc, how it will show when registered, wait before pressing turnstile. It would surely have saved some hassle?

The boy in front of me just swiped his card under the reader, didnt wait for it to register and then couldnt understand why the turnstile wouldnt move.

It will just take a couple of goes to get familiar and then it will be fine.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2014, 04:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDivmaCzzaE&app=desktop

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-01-2014, 04:59 PM
I put my ST card in a different way from the guy trying it in the video and got in no bother.

Paisley Hibby
23-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Was a bit of a shambles today imo.

I joined the queue just before quarter to and missed kick off.

Still it's a good idea and there was always going to be teething problems.

It's a simple barcode scanner like you get in supermarkets. Not exactly cutting edge technology. No excuse for Saturday's chaos.

Jonnyboy
23-01-2014, 07:21 PM
I put my ST card in a different way from the guy trying it in the video and got in no bother.

What?????? Even after all my guidance??? :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-01-2014, 07:35 PM
What?????? Even after all my guidance??? :greengrin

iwasthere1972
23-01-2014, 07:42 PM
It's a simple barcode scanner like you get in supermarkets. Not exactly cutting edge technology. No excuse for Saturday's chaos.

Few pints and that video will have been forgotten by some on here. As you say, it's a simple barcode scanner and shouldn't be too difficult for anybody unless they are still living in the 20th century or trollied.

Nothing to do with this thread but a guy who was obviously well lubricated got on the bus the other week and instead of scanning his bus pass he dropped it in the place where you put your cash when buying a ticket. The look on his face was priceless when it dawned on him what he had done. :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Few pints and that video will have been forgotten by some on here. As you say, it's a simple barcode scanner and shouldn't be too difficult for anybody unless they are still living in the 20th century or trollied.

Nothing to do with this thread but a guy who was obviously well lubricated got on the bus the other week and instead of scanning his bus pass he dropped it in the place where you put your cash when buying a ticket. The look on his face was priceless when it dawned on him what he had done. :greengrin

Pissing myself, belter:faf:

Jonnyboy
23-01-2014, 07:47 PM

Reminds me of a story told to me by a bus driver. When the one man bus thing started, a little old lady got on and tried to hand him the money while saying "£0.50 son." He pointed to the slot where the money goes in but she simply repeated "£0.50 son." Once more the driver pointed to the slot and said "in there love" whereupon she bent forward and said £0.50 son" into the slot :greengrin

iwasthere1972
23-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Reminds me of a story told to me by a bus driver. When the one man bus thing started, a little old lady got on and tried to hand him the money while saying "£0.50 son." He pointed to the slot where the money goes in but she simply repeated "£0.50 son." Once more the driver pointed to the slot and said "in there love" whereupon she bent forward and said £0.50 son" into the slot :greengrin

That the reminds me when they first came into service about 1970. Me and my brother were standing at the bus stop and when I saw the bus coming in our direction I said to my brother 'Here comes one of those one man buses'. He replied 'Well you get this one and I'll wait for the next one to arrive'

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2014, 11:41 AM
How did everyone get on then? :greengrin

hibee_girl
26-01-2014, 11:41 AM
How did everyone get on then? :greengrin

No problems today :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2014, 11:43 AM
No problems today :greengrin

Did everyone get into the stadium quicker than lastweek?:greengrin:faf:

mutley
26-01-2014, 02:20 PM
They must have tweaked something because I had no problems at all today, straight in

oconnors_strip
26-01-2014, 02:42 PM
They had opened the first 4/6 turnstiles in the east which are normally always closed, went to use scanner but there was a human being in there scanning cards!! Was psyched up for using the self scanning! :greengrin

semaj64
26-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Certainly no issues today, plenty of stewards this time to help any that got stuck. Thought it was very quick in comparison to the manned gates

Hedlund12
26-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Queued for less than 5 today to get in - didn't have any issues using the system (this week or last )...think it was just teething problems as everyone said.
No cash gates at West either meant than all turnstiles were used for (scanning)entry too which IMO kept queues down...👍

DaveF
26-01-2014, 02:58 PM
I was a victim of an over helpful steward in the west. I put my card in (right side up) only to have the steward jump in with 0.8 seconds when it didn't work.

'Not that slot sir, the other one' was his advice before I grabbed it back of him and scanned it again.

There is only one bleedin' slot :greengrin

Carheenlea
26-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Breezed in without any problem this week; scanners certainly appeared to be more receptive than last weekend and the apparent teething troubles.

Andy74
26-01-2014, 03:21 PM
First time for me. Proud. Very proud.

down-the-slope
26-01-2014, 03:29 PM
First time for me. Proud. Very proud.

:not worth one notch on your staff

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Couldn't go to the game today but was looking forward to my second successful self scanning, I was really nervous about it because i thought i got luck lastweek doing it first time:greengrin Always the Raith game though! I'll be watching the video HTV to make sure i do it correctly:wink:

Nomeancity
26-01-2014, 09:25 PM
I wait 20 mins in a q and only get my ticket out( if I can find it) once I am at the scanner. That way I can be assured I will get in. Who knows if I got my ticket ready before that I might drop it and not notice.

Saorsa
26-01-2014, 09:29 PM
How did everyone get on then? :greengrinToday was the 3rd time I used them with nae problem. :agree:

Some folk still needed tae be telt you still have tae push the turnstile though. :greengrin

Nomeancity
26-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Today was the 3rd time I used them with nae problem. :agree:

Some folk still needed tae be telt you still have tae push the turnstile though. :greengrin

What!!!so you are expected to push the turnstile. How the **** are you meant to do this at the same time as you are taking that all important phone call that you just have to take at the point you get to the front. Petrie!!! Get it sorted

down-the-slope
26-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Today was the 3rd time I used them with nae problem. :agree:

:agree: are they deaf / blind / used to a butler :confused: stick it in...beep...push the effing gate

SMAXXA
26-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Got a couple of comps for today's game, first time using the scanning and worked a treat. Nice touch when it came up on the screen welcome Mr xxxxxx, enjoy your leather comfy seat and back rub at half time.

Saorsa
26-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Got a couple of comps for today's game, first time using the scanning and worked a treat. Nice touch when it came up on the screen welcome Mr xxxxxx, enjoy your leather comfy seat and back rub at half time.:grr: Mine said 'hard lines, yer in now'.

Nomeancity
26-01-2014, 10:04 PM
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. Hibees can't work automated turnstiles.

Albert Einstein

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Whay actually comes up in the wee screen when you scan?

SMAXXA
26-01-2014, 10:10 PM
:grr: Mine said 'hard lines, yer in now'.

SMAXXA
26-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Oooowwwww I will go first...........

make sure you boooo like ****

SaulGoodman
26-01-2014, 10:15 PM

'Ok

PLEASE ENTER'

'PS THE PIES ARE CAULD'

Saorsa
26-01-2014, 10:44 PM
:faf::faf:and tae think there's people who think I've got nae sense o' humour :everythin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Bet they struggled:hilarious

Eyrie
02-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Bet they struggled:hilarious

I'm sure they'll use the turnstiles as an excuse for their non-attendance. How many of them actually made it today?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-02-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm sure they'll use the turnstiles as an excuse for their non-attendance. How many of them actually made it today?

I think about 10,11k?

Eyrie
02-02-2014, 04:38 PM
I think about 10,11k?

Surely some mistake? There's 400,000 Yams, it was the semi final of a national cup and the venue was just along the road from the PBS so you must have meant 100k.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Can anyone tell me about this green light that appears? I have to say I never noticed vs St Mirren tbh. Are folk meaning the screen turns green or the red scanning light turns green? I'm so confused, haha. Any advice/help would be much appreciated:greengrin

hibbymick
08-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Can anyone tell me about this green light that appears? I have to say I never noticed vs St Mirren tbh. Are folk meaning the screen turns green or the red scanning light turns green? I'm so confused, haha. Any advice/help would be much appreciated:greengrin

The green , red and orange lights are a kind of ......good guy ....good guy..... wa*k system, keeps the stewards at the back happy enough. :cb

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Worked a treat! Had no issues at all & no clue why I was worried.

dp00
08-02-2014, 04:32 PM
The most frustrating thing is fans who can't just follow simple instructions with it

Perfectly decent system just some folk can't follow instructions

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Chuck Rhoades
08-02-2014, 04:43 PM
The most frustrating thing is fans who can't just follow simple instructions with it

Perfectly decent system just some folk can't follow instructions

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Spot on.

Sick of the ignorant having digs constantly.

hibee_girl
08-02-2014, 05:09 PM
I had to help someone who kept insisting on putting their card in upside down!

KingFranck
10-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Used print at home tickets on Saturday and have to say it was easy fear for anyone that doesn't know how they work. Just make sure you have the barcode face up and you have the correct match ticket! Eg don't turn up to the Ross County game with a Dundee Utd ticket you won't get in. Green light adult green and amber concession red you ain't getting in!

Smiggy 7-0
10-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Green light, heard a clicking sound, push turnstile, walk through and met by a smiley faced steward....nae bother. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
10-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Worked perfectly for me on Saturday.

That was the highlight of the day sadly.

The_Exile
10-02-2014, 05:20 PM

"F*** off Hertz c***"

Obviously forgot change the message since last week.

portyhibernian
10-02-2014, 05:31 PM
The screen on the machines just shows your season ticket details for example "adult season ticket, row A, seat 1"

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Worked fine for me, I was worried id screw up, how wrong was I?! Season ticket face up, heard beep and pushed through. Didn't pay much attention to the screen but it looked as if it said 'Enter' with an arrow. Didn't see any green light though:greengrin

KingFranck
10-02-2014, 06:05 PM
"F*** off Hertz c***"

Obviously forgot change the message since last week.

Brilliant ha ha

iwasthere1972
10-02-2014, 06:17 PM
I've had no problem either with season ticket or print at home (or at work :greengrin ) ticket.

It's as easy as breathing.

Craig_in_Prague
10-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Not been to ER for ages, is this just for STs or everyone attending? (Going this weekend),
Get tickets outside west still before match? Cash turnstiles?

Can you still stand with a can of beer? Macaroon bars? :)

eastterrace
10-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Worked fine for me, I was worried id screw up, how wrong was I?! Season ticket face up, heard beep and pushed through. Didn't pay much attention to the screen but it looked as if it said 'Enter' with an arrow. Didn't see any green light though:greengrin

i had not been since killie game with my season ticket ( as been ill) so was not sure about it with reading on the net about the problems, but its so simple put card under the light thing changes green and says enter so cant see how it becomes a problem unless people have had a wee bit to much drink.

Sean1875
10-02-2014, 07:42 PM
As useful as this is, I still reckon one or two turnstiles should be made available for cash payment. Come kick off on Saturday myself and easy 100+ were stood waiting to get tickets at the ticket office with nobody waiting at any turnstiles. I appreciate that folk will no doubt say 'just buy them online' etc etc. but alot of people may just decide last minute to go or any other reason as I wasnt the only one waiting in the ticket office queue. Resulted in me missing the first ten minutes of the match (which I suppose wasnt a bad thing!) when if there was a cash turnstile id have been in the stadium with 5 minutes to spare.

dangermouse
11-02-2014, 08:38 AM
They are good when they work but the turnstiles for the West Lower (North end) kept jamming on Saturday. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise considering the final result. However, when this happens some people get a bit irate and on Saturday some loud mouth was giving the poor lassie with the hand held scanner dogs abuse. Someone else in the queue tried to calm him down but all that ended up in was threats to punch each others lights out, foul and abusive language all in the presence of young kids.

If Hibs want to make these unmanned turnstiles a success they need to sort out the mechanical problems before the next home game.

Seveno
11-02-2014, 12:07 PM
They are good when they work but the turnstiles for the West Lower (North end) kept jamming on Saturday. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise considering the final result. However, when this happens some people get a bit irate and on Saturday some loud mouth was giving the poor lassie with the hand held scanner dogs abuse. Someone else in the queue tried to calm him down but all that ended up in was threats to punch each others lights out, foul and abusive language all in the presence of young kids.

If Hibs want to make these unmanned turnstiles a success they need to sort out the mechanical problems before the next home game.

They also need to sort out the foul mouthed yobs.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Worked an absolute treat again. Even had a look at the screen cause I was that confident:wink: The guy infront of me had issues with his matchday ticket though & another boy tried scanning his ST diagonally and managed to get it scanned anaw:greengrin

Really good so far!

LancashireHibby
15-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Matchday print at home ticket worked fine for me.

TAHibby
15-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Began to panic, took 0.84s longer to scan than last week.

SteveHFC
15-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Had no problems today. Quicker than last week :cb

GreenCastle
15-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Worked well again - glad to see it's sorted :greengrin

brianmc
15-02-2014, 05:21 PM
My season ticket scanned no problem. But my daughters failed in each of the four turnstiles the steward directed her to (her card has been fine at previous matches). She eventually gained access through an entrance staffed by a steward with a hand held scanner. She was one of many people to go through this procedure.

SteveHFC
15-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Worked well again - glad to see it's sorted :greengrin

For us at least :greengrin

bookert
15-02-2014, 08:21 PM
No problem last two weeks and that was printing tickets off

wookie70
15-02-2014, 08:45 PM
No problems with Season Tickets for me or either of my kids and the print at home tickets worked perfectly last week too. Quite impressed but will be interested to see what the saving actually is compared to the old system. I presume there was a pretty large Capital outlay and I can't imagine the turnstile operators were on much of a wage. Are there extra stewards behind the turnstiles too.

Working in the Public Service I am always very suspicious when these innovations come in. They have a tendency to look good on paper but tend not to save much if any money and usually end up with someone not having a job. Saying that they do seem to work OK but not exactly a friendly welcome to a community event.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2014, 09:04 PM
The way I was feeling before the game I was gutted that mine worked :greengrin

Twiglet
15-02-2014, 09:09 PM
No problems with Season Tickets for me or either of my kids and the print at home tickets worked perfectly last week too. Quite impressed but will be interested to see what the saving actually is compared to the old system. I presume there was a pretty large Capital outlay and I can't imagine the turnstile operators were on much of a wage. Are there extra stewards behind the turnstiles too.

Working in the Public Service I am always very suspicious when these innovations come in. They have a tendency to look good on paper but tend not to save much if any money and usually end up with someone not having a job. Saying that they do seem to work OK but not exactly a friendly welcome to a community event.

Don't know figures, but I think long-term it will save a lot of money for Hibs.
At a section of 4 turnstiles (like where I am in the West) instead of 1/2 stewards outside and 1 in each turnstile manually scanning; you need 1/2 outside, 1 inside and 1 with a hand-held scanner. Doesn't seem much, but times that by every turnstile it adds up, esp when you figure that into each home match.
The stewarding staff will be bank staff who don't expect a steady/regular gig. It's the risk you take for choosing to be bank staff and working when the work is there.

Danderhall Hibs
15-02-2014, 10:38 PM
The lights go on - I assume green for adult and green and amber for concession? I asked the steward today (in the f5) - he didn't know!

What are the lights for and shouldn't the stewards know what they mean?

California-Hibs
15-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Aren't Hibs possibly losing out on thousands every week here with adults buying concession ticket and scanning them?! :confused:

Twiglet
15-02-2014, 11:13 PM
The lights go on - I assume green for adult and green and amber for concession? I asked the steward today (in the f5) - he didn't know!

What are the lights for and shouldn't the stewards know what they mean?

Aren't Hibs possibly losing out on thousands every week here with adults buying concession ticket and scanning them?! :confused:

The lights do mean something, don't know what exactly to be honest, but there is a code. If a concession light flashes up, but an adult walks through then they're supposed to be stopped and challenged for proof of being a concession (student ID, etc).
If you buy online then it's linked to your account so Hibs would know at some point. If you buy at the pods or ticket office you should be getting challenged for ID too. No student card, no student ticket (you would think anyway).

sahib
15-02-2014, 11:52 PM
The lights do mean something, don't know what exactly to be honest, but there is a code. If a concession light flashes up, but an adult walks through then they're supposed to be stopped and challenged for proof of being a concession (student ID, etc).
If you buy online then it's linked to your account so Hibs would know at some point. If you buy at the pods or ticket office you should be getting challenged for ID too. No student card, no student ticket (you would think anyway).

I hate these fekkin things. Made a last minute decision to go, turned up to find my hard earned cash is no good to Petrie and Farmer, it would seem. I hate the modern world.
But, at least, I now feel absolved of any guilt for not going to home games. I seriously doubt if I will ever go back.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-02-2014, 12:16 AM
I hate these fekkin things. Made a last minute decision to go, turned up to find my hard earned cash is no good to Petrie and Farmer, it would seem. I hate the modern world.
But, at least, I now feel absolved of any guilt for not going to home games. I seriously doubt if I will ever go back.

Such a stupid thing to say:faf:

Surely you knew about these being put in place? Been in place for a number of games now. Give your cash to the folk at the pods/TO & get your ticket scanned. Simple!

Nomeancity
16-02-2014, 12:47 AM
Some Hibs fans remind me of those pensioners at the bus stop who wait for 15 mins (during which time they moan non stop about how the buses are always late) and then proceed to board the bus and search every pocket/bag they have for their pass (IT'S IN YOUR HAND FFS!) You have stood in a Q for 15 mins - why cant you have it ready!!!

Danderhall Hibs
16-02-2014, 06:46 AM

That's what I thought. As I said it looks as if the green and amber lights flash for concession but as I also say the stewards don't know and are just happy that folk are getting in without their help.

Weststandwanab
16-02-2014, 07:10 AM
My season ticket scanned no problem. But my daughters failed in each of the four turnstiles the steward directed her to (her card has been fine at previous matches). She eventually gained access through an entrance staffed by a steward with a hand held scanner. She was one of many people to go through this procedure.My son's season ticket failed (no 17 Lower West) for the first time so had to wait till a supervisor with a hand held and an attitude turned up. Still must be my fault !

Some Hibs fans remind me of those pensioners at the bus stop who wait for 15 mins (during which time they moan non stop about how the buses are always late) and then proceed to board the bus and search every pocket/bag they have for their pass (IT'S IN YOUR HAND FFS!) You have stood in a Q for 15 mins - why cant you have it ready!!!Then gets off at the next stop.

semaj64
16-02-2014, 12:04 PM

I think that there will also be saving where they can have more turnstiles open without actually increasing the manpower on the day.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Superb yet again:thumbsup:

SaulGoodman
01-03-2014, 04:00 PM

That's good, mind and tell us all how they do at the Motherwell game :wink:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-03-2014, 04:16 PM
That's good, mind and tell us all how they do at the Motherwell game :wink:

Wll do:greemgrin

EVENTUALLY
01-03-2014, 04:57 PM

Fiasco at the West Turnstiles 21-24. 3 of them locked out with queues stacking back 20 deep. Young female stewards anxious and supervisors nowhere to be seen.