PDA

View Full Version : Tin Hats On - Here They Go Again

Leith Mo
17-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Jambo at work tells me Paxman is at the Pink Bus Shelter today making a film about how Hearts won WWI - as I predicted the 100th Anniversary is about to send the Poppy Pilferers into over-drive

The_Todd
17-01-2014, 11:54 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/jeremy-paxman-tells-story-of-hearts-team-at-war-1-3272151

Yup, here we go... :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
17-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Seems fair enough as part of a wider documentary series.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Presumably they'll also we interviewing the shinty team descimated by the Great War - even featured in a Scotsman article about the associated theatre production in the last year or two.

matty_f
17-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Genuinely don't see the issue here, it's a great story and one which the yams have every right to be proud of. Paxman isn't doing it for the yams from what I can gather so I think this is different from the distasteful profiteering we have witnessed from the yams over recent years regarding this topic.

Hibernia Na Eir
17-01-2014, 12:10 PM
football and politics don't go. Do they?

Keith_M
17-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Genuinely don't see the issue here, it's a great story and one which the yams have every right to be proud of. Paxman isn't doing it for the yams from what I can gather so I think this is different from the distasteful profiteering we have witnessed from the yams over recent years regarding this topic.

That's the thing, it's not just about Hearts. a lot of people object to the fact that they seem to have claimed this as such is quite unedifying, to say the least. It's almost like they revel in the horiffic death of so many people as a way of making their club seem something special, even today. It was a stupid, horrible war in which millions died without reason.

Also, if I hear someone at Hearts one more time use the expression 'in the spirit of the McCraes battallion', I think I'll scream.

Cabbage East
17-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Such a brave, fearless club from top to bottom :rolleyes:

ALF TUPPER
17-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Seems fair to me . RIP

Wonder if they'll mention the 7 Hibs players who volunteered ? RIP x

MB62
17-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Such a brave, fearless club from top to bottom :rolleyes:

Why Blair and Cameron have not sent the present lot over to sort out the nasty Taliban I'll never know.
They won WW1 for us all but really, that was 100 years ago and what have they done since?

Deansy
17-01-2014, 12:39 PM
'roughly 150 Hibernian supporters, had answered their country’s call to arms' - though no doubt they 300 supporters signed-up !!

--------
17-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Why Blair and Cameron have not sent the present lot over to sort out the nasty Taliban I'll never know.
They won WW1 for us all but really, that was 100 years ago and what have they done since?

Actually, Bawheid Broon wasn't sacked at all. That's just the cover story. He's now in Helmand working under cover with the US military to defeat the local warlords.

He's using a completely new approach - he's gonnae REALLY SHOUT AT THEM.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoUg2rb4zXlNDORT0JSTss-mWMDUbRukwQe6bRZJe9LLk3o-qAaA

And if that doesn't work, he's gonnae get Jumbo out and they're both gonnae make faces and frighten their bairns.

http://i4.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article874301.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/jim-jefferies-billy-brown-792204347-874301.jpg

Onion
17-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Seems fair enough as part of a wider documentary series.

They'll be more interested in trying to get Paxman to do that 1-5 thingy and publicise their current plight :cb

Pretty Boy
17-01-2014, 01:26 PM
They'll be more interested in trying to get Paxman to do that 1-5 thingy and publicise their current plight :cb

If that's their mentality then that's up to them.

The BBC is making a documentary about WW1, the McCraes Battalion story is part if that so if the BBc see fit to include it then it should be. The article linked makes mention of Hibs and Raith Rovers amongst others. If Heart fans choose to use it as points scoring then that's their lookout, I'm not going to do the same from the opposite side.

The whole, as I see it, planned celebrations this year don't sit well with me. I think as fewer survivors of the 2 World Wars are around a sense of glorification has started to sneak back in thank to a jingoistic element with the press and wider society but good documentaries and education are always important.

marinello59
17-01-2014, 01:37 PM
It's a story worth telling in the wider context of that terrible war. Just because some Hearts fans seem to think that it gives them some special status in the world should not detract from a story illustrating that nobody could escape the effects of that conflict. If we get on our high horse every time this is mentioned and forget the actual lessons to be learned we would be behaving just as badly as the more deluded ones over on Kickback.

147lothian
17-01-2014, 02:53 PM
They seem to be talking in coded language of sick back, I heard on of them say 'send 3 and 6 pance im going to a dance"

jacomo
17-01-2014, 02:58 PM
If that's their mentality then that's up to them.

The BBC is making a documentary about WW1, the McCraes Battalion story is part if that so if the BBc see fit to include it then it should be. The article linked makes mention of Hibs and Raith Rovers amongst others. If Heart fans choose to use it as points scoring then that's their lookout, I'm not going to do the same from the opposite side.

The whole, as I see it, planned celebrations this year don't sit well with me. I think as fewer survivors of the 2 World Wars are around a sense of glorification has started to sneak back in thank to a jingoistic element with the press and wider society but good documentaries and education are always important.

:agree:

Keith_M
17-01-2014, 03:10 PM

:agree:

What I've heard form the Tory Party so far has been jingoism at its worst. They seem desparate to get votes back from UKIP and are pandering to the worst kind of Imperialist British Nationalists.

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Seems fair enough in a wider context .... how local identity was used as a foundation for battalions.

This stuff only grinds my gears when the Yams use it to present their club as some sort of special case. The players didnt do what they did because they played for Hearts ... they just happened to play for Hearts.

jae
17-01-2014, 08:01 PM
I had the producer of this programme in the back of my taxi last year. He was up interviewing surviving relatives of members of Macraes Battalion.

Green Cabbage 7
17-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Seems fair to me . RIP

Wonder if they'll mention the 7 Hibs players who volunteered ? RIP x

And the 150 HIBERNIAN fans that were part of that battalion not to mention players and fans from Falkirk , Dunfermline, Raith Rovers etc who all deserve there mention as well

matty_f
17-01-2014, 08:41 PM
It's a story worth telling in the wider context of that terrible war. Just because some Hearts fans seem to think that it gives them some special status in the world should not detract from a story illustrating that nobody could escape the effects of that conflict. If we get on our high horse every time this is mentioned and forgetting the actual lessons to be learned we would be behaving just as badly as the more deluded ones over on Kickback.
Spot on. :agree:

lyonhibs
18-01-2014, 04:52 AM
Spot on. :agree:

Indeed. You'll - not actually you obviously - will have to point me in the direction of how this program is worthy of our taking offence

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-01-2014, 08:19 AM
The only people that twist, dilute and ultimately cheapen the memory of these men are the Hearts fans themselves. As the programme will demonstrate, their story is one chapter in the book, not the whole book.

QMU-1875
18-01-2014, 08:41 AM
"we decided to feature Hearts in particular was that their story really illustrates the strong emotional pull and sense of identity that fans took from their team"

They feel a particular pride in this chapter in their history and so they should, as should all football clubs who had players enlist. RIP to all those who died in ww1 and hope this documentary shines a light on the most brutal of wars.

QMU-1875
18-01-2014, 08:42 AM
The only people that twist, dilute and ultimately cheapen the memory of these men are the Hearts fans themselves. As the programme will demonstrate, their story is one chapter in the book, not the whole book.

Totally agree. The amount if times I've had a jambo telling me they won the war or that hibs didn't contribute to the war as they were republican is scary.

ronaldo7
27-01-2014, 08:03 PM
And the 150 HIBERNIAN fans that were part of that battalion not to mention players and fans from Falkirk , Dunfermline, Raith Rovers etc who all deserve there mention as well

They're doing their bit.

http://www.raithrovers.net/12691/wear-these-shirts-with-pride.htm

Just watching Paxman on the Beeb about the Great war. Seems there were many made up stories around that time to get men to enlist.

I liked this one that he mentioned though.
"Tynecastle in the West of Edinburgh was the home of Heart of Midlothian Football Club"

Jonnyboy
27-01-2014, 09:43 PM
They're doing their bit.

http://www.raithrovers.net/12691/wear-these-shirts-with-pride.htm

Just watching Paxman on the Beeb about the Great war. Seems there were many made up stories around that time to get men to enlist.

I liked this one that he mentioned though.
"Tynecastle in the West of Edinburgh was the home of Heart of Midlothian Football Club"

Watched it too R. Very moving and I don't think the Hearts thing was over egged.

Ten million killed. Mind blowing really.

Pete
28-01-2014, 04:47 AM
Watched it too R. Very moving and I don't think the Hearts thing was over egged.

Ten million killed. Mind blowing really.

Watched it too and agree that it was well done. Mind blowing is an accurate description.

What made it hit home was when the old photos they showed (Mons square and tynecastle) gradually changed into the present day background which has remained unchanged.

Nice kit by Raith and I hope this will be a year of respect all round as far as this subject goes as it's bigger than any football rivalry.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Nice kit by Raith and I hope this will be a year of respect all round as far as this subject goes as it's bigger than any football rivalry.

I see one of the twats employed by them managed to get a picture of Paxman making a five gesture into this mornings papers. Nice to see this subject being treated with the respect it deserves by them.

Pretty Boy
03-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Watched the 2nd part of this tonight. Really good documentary imo.

The part about the Battle of the Somme was pretty moving stuff. Off the 810 members of McCraes Battalion who took part 576 were killed. Should really put any kind of footballing point scoring, from us or them, into perspective.

lapsedhibee
03-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Watched the 2nd part of this tonight. Really good documentary imo.

The part about the Battle of the Somme was pretty moving stuff. Off the 810 members of McCraes Battalion who took part 576 were killed. Should really put any kind of footballing point scoring, from us or them, into perspective.
No, killed or wounded.