PDA

View Full Version : Rod wants to be invisible

Jonnyboy
14-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Good article in the EEN

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/anthony-brown-invisible-petrie-can-be-satisfied-with-his-work-1-3267268

Liked this bit :greengrin

But, at a time when others in Scotland were wildly overspending, Petrie kept things sensible

O'Rourke3
15-01-2014, 10:30 AM
I expect TQM along at any moment :agree:

Just Alf
15-01-2014, 11:00 AM
"The chairman would have been entitled to feel a sense of vindication at the end of the last match at Easter Road, where he and his fellow boardroom members embraced euphorically as a sell-out crowd saw a Hibs side containing four homegrown players seize derby bragging rights from Hearts for the foreseeable future"

:not worth

hibsbollah
15-01-2014, 11:07 AM
http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/anthony-brown-mogga-is-benchmark-for-next-hibs-boss-1-3174223

I like Anthony Brown. He actually writes like a proper journalist. He did a good piece about the Mowbray legacy a while back too.

Probably dismissed as a green tinted glasses wearing, pro hobo pegseller by our friends over the road :greengrin

Oscar T Grouch
15-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Ah, the bitter yams on the comments, pleasing :wink:

IWasThere2016
15-01-2014, 11:32 AM
I expect TQM along at any moment :agree:

Hi :scarf:

IWasThere2016
15-01-2014, 11:34 AM
"The chairman would have been entitled to feel a sense of vindication at the end of the last match at Easter Road, where he and his fellow boardroom members embraced euphorically as a sell-out crowd saw a Hibs side containing four homegrown players seize derby bragging rights from Hearts for the foreseeable future"

:not worth

We're seeing the more finanically sensibly run teams at the top of the table .. gone are Der Hun, Yams, Pars etc .. and the SPL is topped by Cellic, Motherwell (post their meltdown), ICT, StJ, Arabs, Sheep, us etc...

Saorsa
15-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by some fud

His behind the scenes work with the GFA needs close inspection as there seems to be some anomalies with some of the statements coming out of Hamdump.
Sporting integrity? how can your city rival have a say in what punishment you receive? It's bizarre.:faf:

:lolyam: :kbacker::dancer::monkey1::monkey: :jamboclow

a fud talking about integrity again :kettle:

Spike Mandela
15-01-2014, 11:44 AM

Andy74
15-01-2014, 01:40 PM
How come after a few defeats this all changes though?

Either the long term running of the club and the plan is good, or it's not - the short term football results too often get escalated round here to be the fault of everyone including Sir Tom.

andrew70
15-01-2014, 01:51 PM
We're seeing the more finanically sensibly run teams at the top of the table .. gone are Der Hun, Yams, Pars etc .. and the SPL is topped by Cellic, Motherwell (post their meltdown), ICT, StJ, Arabs, Sheep, us etc...

I would agree to an extent but to say United and the Sheep are financially stable or sensibly run is pushing it a bit, no? Aberdeen seem to spending a lot of money they've never had on SPL has-beens and United's financial issues have been well document but will no doubt be sustained by the sale of Robertson and/or Souttar in the near future.

It's good to see financially prudent clubs come to the top of the league however will we still be quite so prudent when it comes to getting players that we need to take us to the next level? By that I mean 2nd/3rd in the league.

IWasThere2016
15-01-2014, 03:42 PM
I would agree to an extent but to say United and the Sheep are financially stable or sensibly run is pushing it a bit, no? Aberdeen seem to spending a lot of money they've never had on SPL has-beens and United's financial issues have been well document but will no doubt be sustained by the sale of Robertson and/or Souttar in the near future.

It's good to see financially prudent clubs come to the top of the league however will we still be quite so prudent when it comes to getting players that we need to take us to the next level? By that I mean 2nd/3rd in the league.

I disagree with you re the Arabs - and re the Sheep, Milne has not poured money in unnecessarily. Both pay their bills .. unlike others :wink:

jacomo
15-01-2014, 03:49 PM

Either the long term running of the club and the plan is good, or it's not - the short term football results too often get escalated round here to be the fault of everyone including Sir Tom.

I think it's because the team had been suffering from a long term malaise and consequent falling attendances. This obviously affects how people judge Petrie and the decisions he has made, because if you change the manager and change the players and the same problems keep resurfacing, you have to look at the Board.

TB and his team appear to have been a shock to the system, which is exactly what was needed. Much much more work to be done but hopefully we have turned a corner.

blackpoolhibs
15-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Petrie is at the last chance saloon in my opinion, and just because we seem :pray: to have turned a corner, its is still early doors with his new appointment.

Petrie has appointed countless duds to manage the club, and the reason we have had some horrendous results is down to him. We all want EVERY manager he appoints to do well, but the truth of the matter is they have not been good enough to manage our club.

Only a matter of weeks ago Petrie was the devil for a large section of our support, and while the club does seem to have been run correctly, we have certainly failed as a football team.

And the man at the top should rightly bare the criticism for this, just as those back him praise his accountancy skills.

I'd say Butcher is his last chance, if he fails we'd all know where to point the blame, and unless he went i'm pretty sure quite a few wouldn't back anything he did ever again?

Lets hope Butcher saves his skin.

Corstorphine Hibby
15-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Petrie is at the last chance saloon in my opinion, and just because we seem :pray: to have turned a corner, its is still early doors with his new appointment.

Petrie has appointed countless duds to manage the club, and the reason we have had some horrendous results is down to him. We all want EVERY manager he appoints to do well, but the truth of the matter is they have not been good enough to manage our club.

Only a matter of weeks ago Petrie was the devil for a large section of our support, and while the club does seem to have been run correctly, we have certainly failed as a football team.

And the man at the top should rightly bare the criticism for this, just as those back him praise his accountancy skills.

I'd say Butcher is his last chance, if he fails we'd all know where to point the blame, and unless he went i'm pretty sure quite a few wouldn't back anything he did ever again?

I know you're itching to dust down your ' Petrie Out ! ' placards, so what in your opinion would be classed as a pass for Butcher ?

blackpoolhibs
15-01-2014, 08:00 PM
I know you're itching to dust down your ' Petrie Out ! ' placards, so what in your opinion would be classed as a pass for Butcher ?

Next season 4th place at least, the cups are a lottery but i'd expect a quarter final at least in the league cup.

The Scottish cup is different, as we could draw Celtic earlier than that or get unlucky or even play badly in a one off game and go out.

So 4th place at least in the league, anything less is another failure.

3pm
15-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Next season 4th place at least, the cups are a lottery but i'd expect a quarter final at least in the league cup.

The Scottish cup is different, as we could draw Celtic earlier than that or get unlucky or even play badly in a one off game and go out.

So 4th place at least in the league, anything less is another failure.

4th isnae enough. If this Marsella is that good our team should be tidy next year.

McInnes has shown it can be done.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-01-2014, 08:23 PM
"Damn! I would have got away with it if it wasn't for them pesky kids on Sportsound!"

Ronniekirk
15-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Good article in the EEN

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/anthony-brown-invisible-petrie-can-be-satisfied-with-his-work-1-3267268

But, at a time when others in Scotland were wildly overspending, Petrie kept things sensible
Well he is certainly invisible in transfer market at the moment .I know it's early days ,we shouldn't just bring in players to fill up the squad,we haven't off loaded the four senior players we want,The Emperor s new Clothes , . don't think we need anyone new to take care of st midden ( my neighbours will be up in arms good buddies that they are ) but we defo need some movement before end of following week

macca70
15-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Every time I read this thread title, it reminds me of the invisible boss sketch.

Could just imagine Petrie floating about ER acting like this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogd39HUxC1o&sns=em

Jonnyboy
15-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Well he is certainly invisible in transfer market at the moment .I know it's early days ,we shouldn't just bring in players to fill up the squad,we haven't off loaded the four senior players we want,The Emperor s new Clothes , . don't think we need anyone new to take care of st midden ( my neighbours will be up in arms good buddies that they are ) but we defo need some movement before end of following week

Only because TB has not yet been successful in trying to bring players to the club.

Time and patience Ronnie :wink:

Ronniekirk
15-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Only because TB has not yet been successful in trying to bring players to the club.

Time and patience Ronnie :wink:
Yes but neither of these virtues are my strongest suit . If I was a poker player I would loose but thanks for advice . Am not going to post anything more about Transfers till something worthwhile happens :aok::confused:

Jonnyboy
15-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Yes but neither of these virtues are my strongest suit . If I was a poker player I would loose but thanks for advice . Am not going to post anything more about Transfers till something worthwhile happens :aok::confused:

We'll see :wink:

Northernhibee
15-01-2014, 10:50 PM
If I was invisible I'd sneak into Tesco overnight and take all the labels off their tinned foods, just to **** things up.

Hibdan12
16-01-2014, 12:22 AM
I don't get why people don't like petrie. in fact i think he is an excellent chairman. For the people who say he is tight you only have to look at the money spent last year: 200k on collins and hole new management team. on top of that we have a brand new stand and one of the best training facilites in the uk. Im sure he gives managers the best possible budget he can while caring for the clubs bills. Rod petrie is a buisnessman and it shows as hibs are one of the most finacially stable football clubs in the country and that is down to money mangement skills, our smelly neighbours are a great example how it can all go wrong and I feel petrie has got most things right apart from maybe bad manager choices in the past.

Ronniekirk
16-01-2014, 08:20 AM
I don't get why people don't like petrie. in fact i think he is an excellent chairman. For the people who say he is tight you only have to look at the money spent last year: 200k on collins and hole new management team. on top of that we have a brand new stand and one of the best training facilites in the uk. Im sure he gives managers the best possible budget he can while caring for the clubs bills. Rod petrie is a buisnessman and it shows as hibs are one of the most finacially stable football clubs in the country and that is down to money mangement skills, our smelly neighbours are a great example how it can all go wrong and I feel petrie has got most things right apart from maybe bad manager choices in the past.
As per banter with johnnyboy Patience isn't my strong point .,In a nutshell with Rangers out the league for several years and Hear7s being in the state they are in ,you would have thought that a well run club like ours ,with right management team ,would be up there challenging for second place.As you point out we have everything in place .However poor management appointments and bringing in assistant managers to try and shore things up has left us as also rans and it hurts .
It's only now we have proper management team,and scout with connections , but it takes time and patience as johnnyboy rightly points out In meantime Motherwell appearo to br consolidating yet again and Dundee United and Aberdeen have stolen a march on us
So while I have faith and trust in Butcher and his team it will be well into next season before we see his own team in place.The Huns will be back the following season , so our window of opportunity to do well may be about to close . and we haven't been in a position to take advantage ,the way I think we should of . Someone has to take Responsibility for that There feel better already:rolleyes:

Oscar T Grouch
16-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Ronnie I wouldnae be too certain the Huns will be back in the premier league so soon, their problems have not ended and the financial mismanagement carries on unabated. Even when they do get back up here, they will not be the "force" they were in the past. I'm sure a lot of us how well the did before Murray came in and started spending, I remember seriously low crowds at castle grey skull in the early 80 s. The Huns and the windae lickers will take many years to recover from the mess they're both in.

We are luck to have Petrie, we have excellent facilities in a league where that is rare, we have been putting them I place for a number of years now albeit at the detriment of the team but now we have we can now spend our money on the team whilst others pay to upgrade their stadiums and training facilities. The future for Hibs is bright, the rides just about to get exciting again so hold on :)

Ronniekirk
16-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Ronnie I wouldnae be too certain the Huns will be back in the premier league so soon, their problems have not ended and the financial mismanagement carries on unabated. Even when they do get back up here, they will not be the "force" they were in the past. I'm sure a lot of us how well the did before Murray came in and started spending, I remember seriously low crowds at castle grey skull in the early 80 s. The Huns and the windae lickers will take many years to recover from the mess they're both in.

We are luck to have Petrie, we have excellent facilities in a league where that is rare, we have been putting them I place for a number of years now albeit at the detriment of the team but now we have we can now spend our money on the team whilst others pay to upgrade their stadiums and training facilities. The future for Hibs is bright, the rides just about to get exciting again so hold on :)

I remember attending a game at Ibrox and crowd was less than 15 000 I think . We had a mini bus full of supporters at most so we did not have great team then .I have stuck with them for over 50 years and could of paid off my mortgage and bought a villa abroad possibly on the money I have spent following Hibs . my son and daughter attend regularly and they are in there mid twenties now ,so I will keep going and like a lot of fans crave to see us winning Scottish cup but don't get me started on that one .
Living in the west I already get stick from Rangers fans saying butcher is there Manager in waiting for a return to big league . The arrogance of some is beyond belief . Don't worry I will enjoy this I I resurgence and milk it for all it's worth as it gets better and better .

Fish
16-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Invisibility, he'll be wanting world domination next

Keith_M
16-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Rod wants to be invisible

He should try that spot in the FF Stand where the Hibs Fan dissapeared in the derby. I believe nobody has seem him since. :wink:

Keith_M
16-01-2014, 11:14 AM

:agree:

Have to agree with this. There is a ridiculous level of hysteria on here after losing even two matches in a row.

smurf
16-01-2014, 11:30 AM

Have to agree with this. There is a ridiculous level of hysteria on here after losing even two matches in a row.

It would be ridiculous if it was within the context of a reasonably successful team. However, we have been very ordinary for far too long....

RP does a very good job on the financial side of things. He is not however a leader. In TB a proper leader has been appointed but I do think that our club needs leadership from board level.

--------
16-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Good article in the EEN

I was under the impression that Rod IS invisible, John - that he only materialises at moments of great crisis for the club, like the Godfather, to unlock the Chequebook Drawer and give formal permission for the transfer of funds - but not too much there now - no need to go completely mad, you know. Fifty quid a week's plenty to pay a first-team striker, after all ....

Or, of course, to arrange for the transportation of yet another manager for a dip in the warm waters off Cockenzie Power Station, wearing his very own pair of patented Rod Petrie Concrete Training Shoes.

Has anyone actually SEEN Pat Fenlon since he "left by mutual consent"? I believe some unused bricks from the East Stand terrace disappeared around the same time? :wink:

As you know, there are aspects of RP's running of the club about which I have been more than uneasy.

However, as a piece of positive balance this is a timely reminder that yes, he has overseen the complete renewal of the club's infrastructure - from a corrugated iron stand, a concrete bunker, and acres of windswept, rain-battered terraces to a 21,000 capacity, all seated, all-roofed modern stadium, and from dodging the dog-poo, syringes and used condoms in the public parks of our fair city to a state-of-the-art training ground in the peace of the East Lothian countryside. (Can I say that about Ormiston, John?)

The one thing which Rod has not managed to provide for the club has been stability in the area of coaching and team management. Some of his appointments have turned out to be extremely questionable, I think you'll agree. But at the time each was appointed I could see the logic of that appointment - even that of Calderwood.

If Butcher and Malpas can sort out the team - in particular deal with the bad atmosphere and spirit in the dressing-room which more than one manager has spoken about - then perhaps the club can settle down to a period of growth in the soon-to-be-accomplished absence of our unlamented criminal friends across the city, and we can get back to enjoying our football.

Everything Anthony Brown says there is good and positive.

You might even see ME back at the Holy Ground soon ... :devil:

Keith_M
16-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Yeah, and TQM might actually pay for a match day ticket.

:wink:

lord bunberry
16-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Yeah, and TQM might actually pay for a match day ticket.

:wink:

Only if the lion king isn't on that day:wink:

Ronniekirk
16-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Think today we heard the real reason Petrie appointed TB ,He has only spent £8,000 in total in Transfer Fees.Petrie will set about clawing back some of the losses over past few years ensuring our Longevity in this league while hea7s borrow another 3 million and worry if they will survives .Prudence Dear Prudence

Jonnyboy
16-01-2014, 08:47 PM
I was under the impression that Rod IS invisible, John - that he only materialises at moments of great crisis for the club, like the Godfather, to unlock the Chequebook Drawer and give formal permission for the transfer of funds - but not too much there now - no need to go completely mad, you know. Fifty quid a week's plenty to pay a first-team striker, after all ....

Or, of course, to arrange for the transportation of yet another manager for a dip in the warm waters off Cockenzie Power Station, wearing his very own pair of patented Rod Petrie Concrete Training Shoes.

Has anyone actually SEEN Pat Fenlon since he "left by mutual consent"? I believe some unused bricks from the East Stand terrace disappeared around the same time? :wink:

As you know, there are aspects of RP's running of the club about which I have been more than uneasy.

However, as a piece of positive balance this is a timely reminder that yes, he has overseen the complete renewal of the club's infrastructure - from a corrugated iron stand, a concrete bunker, and acres of windswept, rain-battered terraces to a 21,000 capacity, all seated, all-roofed modern stadium, and from dodging the dog-poo, syringes and used condoms in the public parks of our fair city to a state-of-the-art training ground in the peace of the East Lothian countryside. (Can I say that about Ormiston, John?)

The one thing which Rod has not managed to provide for the club has been stability in the area of coaching and team management. Some of his appointments have turned out to be extremely questionable, I think you'll agree. But at the time each was appointed I could see the logic of that appointment - even that of Calderwood.

If Butcher and Malpas can sort out the team - in particular deal with the bad atmosphere and spirit in the dressing-room which more than one manager has spoken about - then perhaps the club can settle down to a period of growth in the soon-to-be-accomplished absence of our unlamented criminal friends across the city, and we can get back to enjoying our football.

Everything Anthony Brown says there is good and positive.

You sure can my friend. :greengrin

--------
16-01-2014, 09:42 PM
You sure can my friend. :greengrin

It's just that the last time I was in Ormiston, John, there was a dance going on in the hall and things weren't exactly 'peaceful'.

I think there were 6 fights going on in various corners of the village at the one time and the polis were sitting in their cars at the end of the Main Street waiting for it all to die down before they went in to pick up the dead and wounded.

It wasn't exactly what one might call a pastoral idyll. :devil:

Jonnyboy
16-01-2014, 09:50 PM
It's just that the last time I was in Ormiston, John, there was a dance going on in the hall and things weren't exactly 'peaceful'.

I think there were 6 fights going on in various corners of the village at the one time and the polis were sitting in their cars at the end of the Main Street waiting for it all to die down before they went in to pick up the dead and wounded.

It wasn't exactly what one might call a pastoral idyll. :devil:

Ach you were clearly there on a quiet night Doddie :greengrin

--------
16-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Ach you were clearly there on a quiet night Doddie :greengrin

That's what one of the Haddington polismen told me as he arrested me for "loitering in an insolent manner". :dunno:

Oddly enough, I was the only one arrested that night. Everybody involved in the fighting "got away". :confused:

Jonnyboy
16-01-2014, 10:52 PM
That's what one of the Haddington polismen told me as he arrested me for "loitering in an insolent manner". :dunno:

Oddly enough, I was the only one arrested that night. Everybody involved in the fighting "got away". :confused:

Clearly you were not a 'weel kent face' :greengrin

--------
17-01-2014, 02:50 AM
Clearly you were not a 'weel kent face' :greengrin

Actually, I'm making it up about being arrested. Only once, and that was in Garvald. In Ormiston I had enough sense to keep my head down.

My, those village dances were lively occasions back in the day.

The funny thing is that that night in Ormiston only ONE of those fights involved men.

The rest were 'ladies only'. :rolleyes:

Pete
17-01-2014, 03:33 AM
Think today we heard the real reason Petrie appointed TB ,He has only spent £8,000 in total in Transfer Fees.Petrie will set about clawing back some of the losses over past few years ensuring our Longevity in this league while hea7s borrow another 3 million and worry if they will survives .Prudence Dear Prudence

You think wrong.

How much "prudence" did it take to convince the three hottest properties in Scottish football management to come to our club?

Have a think and try and guess why we don't have much to spend.

Ronniekirk
17-01-2014, 07:10 AM
You think wrong.

How much "prudence" did it take to convince the three hottest properties in Scottish football management to come to our club?

Have a think and try and guess why we don't have much to spend.

Am well aware of that , my main point was about how this finally being the right management Team will ensure our longevity unlike the hear7s. However a buy product of this means we won't have as Mutch money for player budget. But when you look at tb s wheeling and dealing that is what would also of been a key factor .to live within our means we have to be prudent simple as.

to answer your next post I go most weeks from Paisley to support the team and have through thick and thin Happy you bet I am .:aok:

John_the_angus_hibby
18-01-2014, 12:13 PM

But we have survived the duds. It would have been emotionally easier to have splashed the cash (other people's as Hearts and Rankers found out) when managers failed. But he didn't; he continued to operate within strict financial governance and carried trying to find a manager that would make a difference. He has.

I think I would rather have a great manager in 4 than watch my club spin into danger of not existing chasing success via wages. Would prefer a better manager strike rate, but my view holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2014, 01:33 PM
But we have survived the duds. It would have been emotionally easier to have splashed the cash (other people's as Hearts and Rankers found out) when managers failed. But he didn't; he continued to operate within strict financial governance and carried trying to find a manager that would make a difference. He has.

I think I would rather have a great manager in 4 than watch my club spin into danger of not existing chasing success via wages. Would prefer a better manager strike rate, but my view holds.

I really don't know where to start with this post, did you actually read what i posted?

Petrie has backed every manager we've had since he took charge. Backing them is not the problem, its his inability to pick the correct one thats always been the problem.

John_the_angus_hibby
18-01-2014, 01:37 PM
I really don't know where to start with this post, did you actually read what i posted?

Petrie has backed every manager we've had since he took charge. Backing them is not the problem, its his inability to pick the correct one thats always been the problem.

Did not focus on his problem (poor picking v not funding/supporting), post was about I would rather our lot (Petries poor manager picking or not) versus spending as a solution in the way our competitors do. As I mentioned at the end, I would rather a better strike rate.
Do you not read posts?

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Did not focus on his problem (poor picking v not funding/supporting), post was about I would rather our lot (Petries poor manager picking or not) versus spending as a solution in the way our competitors do. As I mentioned at the end, I would rather a better strike rate.
Do you not read posts?

You quoted my post then said (But we have survived the duds. It would have been emotionally easier to have splashed the cash (other people's as Hearts and Rankers found out) when managers failed. But he didn't; he continued to operate within strict financial governance and carried trying to find a manager that would make a difference.)

If thats not making a point about not spending money we did not have, then i don't know what is? I also said i had no argument with the budget our managers get. Petrie has been the main problem in my opinion why we have been so poor for so long. If he'd got the right man when Mowbray left we'd have been able to suppliment all the good work he has done (east mains and new east stand) with much bigger crowds.

He appointed duds, and they dragged the club down. Petries fault.

John_the_angus_hibby
18-01-2014, 01:50 PM
You quoted my post then said (But we have survived the duds. It would have been emotionally easier to have splashed the cash (other people's as Hearts and Rankers found out) when managers failed. But he didn't; he continued to operate within strict financial governance and carried trying to find a manager that would make a difference.)

If thats not making a point about not spending money we did not have, then i don't know what is? I also said i had no argument with the budget our managers get. Petrie has been the main problem in my opinion why we have been so poor for so long. If he'd got the right man when Mowbray left we'd have been able to suppliment all the good work he has done (east mains and new east stand) with much bigger crowds.

He appointed duds, and they dragged the club down. Petries fault.

It was the point. A discussion carried on, prompted by your post. It was an opinion I made. Indeed about splashing the cash. And he dud appoint duds. But. My point is I would rather have Petrie and our duds than a financial disaster. I also accept they are not mutually exclusive.

I would rather have a better strike rate of non duds also and that indeed that lays at Petries and the boards door.

But I stand by my point.