PDA

View Full Version : Out Of Contract Players - Who Would You Keep?

craigmounthibby
14-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Mullen's gone, Taiwo, Vine, Thomson & Clancy all apparently told they can go.......and surely Zoubir offski too.

That leaves Williams, McPake, Harris, Maybury, Cairney, Murdoch, Caldwell, Grant and Handling (not sure if his contract expires in June or December 2014).

Hermit Crab
14-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Williams Cairney and Harris. Rest can go.

Billychaotic182
14-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Mullen's gone, Taiwo, Vine, Thomson & Clancy all apparently told they can go.......and surely Zoubir offski too.

That leaves Williams, McPake, Harris, Maybury, Cairney, Murdoch, Caldwell, Grant and Handling (not sure if his contract expires in June or December 2014).

Would give Handling and Caldwell both a 2 year deals to prove there worth on loan and still leave time to get into the 1st team once they are back from loan. And they won't be on much money at all so worth the risk

Would try and get William and Harris on long term deals!

And a year contract to McPake and Cairney to prove there fitness ad worth

Eyrie
14-01-2014, 09:04 PM

Williams and Harris are the two we must keep and I'd like to see Handling get another year to develop. Maybury's future will depend on how he fits into the coaching team.

Cairney and one of Murdoch/Grant will depend on whether we can find a better replacement and Caldwell will need to have a very successful loan spell to stay. McPake I think may be finished here given the solid pairing of Hanlon and Nelson supported by the development of Forster.

Ronniekirk
14-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Would give Handling and Caldwell both a 2 year deals to prove there worth on loan and still leave time to get into the 1st team once they are back from loan. And they won't be on much money at all so worth the risk

McPake too Mutch of a risk and now don't think we need him .Handling and Caldwell can go unless they make the type of impact others have done in past when out on loan .The fact Cummings has started ahead of them tells me they are now behind him in pecking order .i like Cairney but butcher may feel he wants someone with more pace , but don't think he would want him on a new two year contract I think there Wil be major changes in summer and just tinkering in this window .However realistically he won't be able to bring in everyone he wants in the summer so some of these players may stay
Harris has just sined new deal and there is two year deal on table for Ben Clancy and vine will probably go at last minute if they haven't got clubs before then Thompson isn't short of admirers and he must have options .Maybury is player / clack so depends if T B wants to keep him on as clackh or bring someone else in in that capacity

DTS
14-01-2014, 11:15 PM

All bar mcpake for me, maybury should get the same deal as this season Murdoch is a steady back up and the three young boys should get another year at least

hfc rd
15-01-2014, 04:55 PM

I'd let McPake go. The rest, I would keep.

Ricky Bobby
15-01-2014, 05:01 PM
I'd let McPake go. The rest, I would keep.

I agree with you, I would keep Maybury in a coaching role and let the young lads with the exception of Harris go/stay out on loan.

Vini1875
15-01-2014, 05:06 PM

Sorry to those players but I really believe we need to be ruthless, next season is a huge opportunity to make an impact on the league. I expect Aberdeen and dufc to be stronger and if McCall stays at Motherwell I expect them to be as strong. We need a squad to match or better those teams. How many of our out of contract players would get a game for Aberdeen or dufc? I suspect only Williams and Harris.

I would take a chance on Handling and Booth, but we really need players who are better than any we have at the club right now. Our squad is competing with St J. to get into the top six, we need a vast improvement in personnel.

Potty78
15-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Just Williams; Harris;and one of the two strikers for me. It's all about opinions but I feel we can do better than the rest.

Gustavo Fring
15-01-2014, 06:28 PM
keep cairney , harris and williams bin the rest

B.H.F.C
15-01-2014, 06:39 PM

Agree with Harris and Williams. They must be priorities. I'd also give Cairney another year, maybe with an option for another year beyond that on our part. I think he gives us something a wee but different, we just need to get more consistency.

We can't carry players who are on the treatment table as often as McPake any more. I'd let him go. Not always the best but the guy has put his body on the line at times.

Don't think we can give two year deals out to the likes of Handling and Caldwell on the basis they might prove themselves. That's fine at 17 or 18 but at the start of next season they will both be in their early 20s. If Caldwell scores a ridiculous amount of goals at Alloa then that would give Butcher a decision to make, but as things stand now I don't think he's shown enough to get a new deal. Handling probably falls in to that category for me as well and he seems to have fallen out the picture at the moment as well.

Bronson
15-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Harris and Williams are absolute certs. Not too fussed about Caldwell, Handling or Cairney, still have much to prove although Cairney has looked decent recently, just not quick enough for a winger.

McPake's time is up for me I'm afraid, taking up a decent wage for never being off the medical table. I feel rotten saying it cause he's had a horrible time with injuries and I really hope he can kick start his career somewhere, I just don't see it being ER.

Murdoch worth a contract if he's happy to play second fiddle to Williams, which seems to be the case. Hasn't played much at all but when he has he seemed quite solid so worth keeping IMO.

Maybury worth another year as a player/coach as back up so long as he still has the legs, which he seems to.

Andy74
15-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Agree.

SMAXXA
15-01-2014, 08:05 PM

Hard to disagree with that

cabbage_88
15-01-2014, 08:17 PM

:agree:

Saturdays Hero
15-01-2014, 10:39 PM
I agree with you, I would keep Maybury in a coaching role and let the young lads with the exception of Harris go/stay out on loan.

What's the big love in regarding Maybury as a coach ?? No offence to you just seem to see it mentioned quite a bit !!

offshorehibby
16-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Harris and Williams are the only definite keeps.
Caldwell needs to bang in a lot of goals to keep his Hibs hopes alive. Handling also needs to start adding goals but i can't see him getting much game time especially if TB brings in another striker.
While i like Cairney TB might want to bring in fresh players so something has to give. Cover for Williams will be between Grant or Murdoch, if he's any good you would have to side with youth (i.e. Grant, to sure how good he is).

Bleeds green
16-01-2014, 08:44 AM
We could get 3 players in for mcpakes wages alone, Williams and Harris for me, I think TB will sign better wide men in the summer and cairney will be surplus, I like cairney but he lacks the pace

stoneyburn hibs
16-01-2014, 09:25 AM
We could get 3 players in for mcpakes wages alone, Williams and Harris for me, I think TB will sign better wide men in the summer and cairney will be surplus, I like cairney but he lacks the pace

Agree with only keeping Williams and Harris, maybe see how well Cairney does in the remaining games of the season.

Scotthibs1875
16-01-2014, 09:29 AM

TBH, Harris is the only one I would offer a contract. I think Williams gets a lot more credit than he deserves. Yes he is a decent shot stopper but in terms of coming for crosses and decison making I think he is poor. I wonder if we had better keepers in the past instead of Zibi, Brown etc, he would be regarded so highly.

As for Cairney, he lacks pace and he struggles to get past a man because of this. Although I think he has improved under Butcher, I would hope we could find a better replacement.

GlesgaeHibby
16-01-2014, 10:45 AM
TBH, Harris is the only one I would offer a contract. I think Williams gets a lot more credit than he deserves. Yes he is a decent shot stopper but in terms of coming for crosses and decison making I think he is poor. I wonder if we had better keepers in the past instead of Zibi, Brown etc, he would be regarded so highly.

As for Cairney, he lacks pace and he struggles to get past a man because of this. Although I think he has improved under Butcher, I would hope we could find a better replacement.

If he was better at coming for crosses and decision making he wouldn't be at Hibs, he'd be at a much bigger club. Reality is that after years of clowns in goals, we have a good solid SPL goalie at last, and we'd be nuts to let him go.

Steve20
16-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Williams, Harris and Caldwell.

calumhibee1
16-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Harris and Williams are absolute certs. Not too fussed about Caldwell, Handling or Cairney, still have much to prove although Cairney has looked decent recently, just not quick enough for a winger.

McPake's time is up for me I'm afraid, taking up a decent wage for never being off the medical table. I feel rotten saying it cause he's had a horrible time with injuries and I really hope he can kick start his career somewhere, I just don't see it being ER.

Murdoch worth a contract if he's happy to play second fiddle to Williams, which seems to be the case. Hasn't played much at all but when he has he seemed quite solid so worth keeping IMO.

Maybury worth another year as a player/coach as back up so long as he still has the legs, which he seems to.

I can't remember Murdoch ever playing? Agree though that if we can keep Williams I'd be happy to keep him as back up.

Scotthibs1875
16-01-2014, 11:20 AM
If he was better at coming for crosses and decision making he wouldn't be at Hibs, he'd be at a much bigger club. Reality is that after years of clowns in goals, we have a good solid SPL goalie at last, and we'd be nuts to let him go.

In the recent years we've had keeper such as Mark Brown & Stack who I believe are similar to Williams in terms of shot stopping ability and all 3 poor at coming for crosses. I'm not sure why Willliams has got as much praise as he has. In recent weeks I feel he could have done better with the goal against Hearts, he made an error against United which he was lucky not to be sent off, and was also at fault for their first goal as he was hesitant coming off his line.

I'm not disputing that he is an improvement on keepers in the past, however, I would be hopeful Terry could find a better replacement.

Bronson
16-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I can't remember Murdoch ever playing? Agree though that if we can keep Williams I'd be happy to keep him as back up.

IIRC he played v killie in the 3-1 at rugby park last season just before the cup final, doyle scored 2. Seemed safe enough for back up.

calumhibee1
16-01-2014, 11:32 AM
IIRC he played v killie in the 3-1 at rugby park last season just before the cup final, doyle scored 2. Seemed safe enough for back up.

So he did, forgot about that.

Jonnyboy
16-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Really? How much is McPake on then?

3pm
16-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Really? How much is McPake on then?

We could get 3 players in John. They'd be pish though!

Jonnyboy
16-01-2014, 09:51 PM
We could get 3 players in John. They'd be pish though!

:greengrin

seven nowt
17-01-2014, 08:13 PM
I'd like to see Murdoch out and invest in a better backup goalkeeper, get rid of Caldwell. Not a fan of him.

Cairney is a must-keep. Our record with him in the team to him not in the team is telling. Harris is one I'd like to hold on to. Hit a bad run of form before his injury but one we'd regret selling if he goes.

Handling can add something to the team at times. Hit or a miss but would hold on to him for now.

patch1875
17-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Cairney will only be kept if he has changed his ways he had issues under fenlon which resulted in him not playing for him.