PDA

View Full Version : 64 days into Terry's reign

theonlywayisup
13-01-2014, 07:54 PM
How are we shaping up?

So far, we have won four games, but all against the team's struggling near the bottom of the league.

I feel we are at the same level as some of the team's around us in the league, such as St. Johnstone and are getting closer to Dundee United and ICT.

We have competed well against Celtic and Aberdeen, but these teams have more of a goal threat.

The league does not lie.

I do feel we are heading in the right direction, but it will be a challenge to get into the top six, if the teams above maintain their form.

How do you rate the first 64 days of Terry's reign? What is your expectations for the rest of the season?

SMAXXA
13-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Progress

Same players that were so poor before and he's improved us, looking forward to him bringing in his own players to really judge him. Don't expect many I'm this window though so next season will be the true test for me.

So far I'm pleased.

Spike Mandela
13-01-2014, 08:01 PM
More attacking. More crosses into box. Some improvement in players. Beat the Hearts. Still some limited players on books. Bring on next year.

gillie
13-01-2014, 08:04 PM
There is certainly a more positive buzz around Easter road, the players seem happier and the football is better I feel the game against Aberdeen would have been a 3-0 defeat under fenlon so I would say a a good improvement so far

ginger_rice
13-01-2014, 08:05 PM
If you think of just how bad we were with the same squad 65 days ago then it's definite progress.

I was speaking to someone today who knows a couple of the players and the gist of it is that players now know where they are expected to play and what exactly their role is, the squads no better, the players no better it's just better organized. oh and apparently they are in no doubt who the bosses are.

Craig_in_Prague
13-01-2014, 08:12 PM
I am back to being mightily interested again, under Fenlon it almost got to the point I couldn't care what the score was.
Very encouraged with TB in place, I just wish it was a change we'd done over the summer (malmo would have been an ideal time),
however like big Terry says, it's about the future and what's ahead of you, the past is gone. Very much onwards and upwards for the Hibees, can't wait till end of march and early April, when I hope to attend 2 games if poss

portyhibernian
13-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Still early days but encouraging signs so far, pleasing that we've started picking up some wins at home. Can't remember if it was on here I read it but there was an interview where TB mentioned he'd brought in a psychologist because he sensed straight away there was a fear of playing at Easter Road in the players. Seems to have worked and it's just small things like that which can make a difference.

Look more capable of scoring goals and defence seems solid enough. Wouldn't mind seeing us sign two wingers and letting Sam Stanton go out on loan as I think it would aid his development to be getting more regular game time.

MrRobot
13-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Much better.

Hearts was the first game I've been to I've actually enjoyed i a long time.

yeezus.
13-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Pleased with the progress but I agree with the original poster - we are probably about as good as St. Johnstone. It will be between us and them for 6th place I reckon. Hopefully next season we can be challenging for 2nd with the Sheep.

Dashing Bob S
13-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Not to indulge in Lockesque metaphors but we are pissing more freely with the cock we have, while still some way short of a golden shower. Tel's management team have done a great job, they've brought back belief and made us harder to beat. He's motivated and improved players who looked as if they were going nowhere, and is clearing out dross and those who don't fit into his plans.

There is something about the club that now feels solid, integrated and capable, as opposed to the built-on-sand flimsiness of previous regimes.

I'm delighted and interested and excited about our future.

hihohibby
13-01-2014, 08:24 PM
We are more energetic all across the park.
Players such as Hanlon and Stevenson, in particular, appear to have found a new release of life and aggression, and, in Hanlons case, perhaps more consistency. Both are impacting and affecting games better than before.
Terry B. appears to have settled on his best 11 and sticking each player in his best position - none of this chopping and changing game by game and players playing where they shouldn't be playing and/or to their strengths.

There is more self and collective belief all around, with players doing things they previously would have avoided or shunned, perhaps because of fear of ridicule or lack of confidence.
The back four are perhaps that little bit more hard to breech, which shows in our goals against.

Opposing teams and managers are now a bit more wary of the Butcher impact and know that they will have to fight tooth and nail to get anything out of the game.

Hibs are losing that "soft touch" tag slowly, and have a long way to go to be truly considered a very difficult team to beat.

Teams have gotten used to picking up points at Easter Road and this is something that Butchers boys still need to put right. Easter Road should be a fortress, where teams come with at least an element of fear or trepidation.
I'm upbeat as a Hibby as Terry B. has got a lot more out of what is still Fenlons team, where expression and confidence were lacking all over the park -demonstrated in the capitulation to Hearts earlier in the season after they stole a goal and all hibs heads dropped. The 2-1 defeat of the Jambos recently was in complete contrast, with determination, guts, and self belief in abundance, long after Hearts, again, stole a goal.
Small steps as Terry says.
If he can motivate and change things with Fenlons team, imagine what he might do with an additional one or two of his own players in the mix.

IWasThere2016
13-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Have to agree with Sir Bob of Dashing and hiho. Much much better.

Inch Hibs
13-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Much much better. We actually have shape and a plan these days.

It's not all about wins it's about seing there is improvement and a plan is in action.

Celtic and Aberden where both away also and we where unlucky in both.

Stevie Reid
13-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Not to indulge in Lockesque metaphors but we are pissing more freely with the cock we have, while still some way short of a golden shower. Tel's management team have done a great job, they've brought back belief and made us harder to beat. He's motivated and improved players who looked as if they were going nowhere, and is clearing out dross and those who don't fit into his plans.

There is something about the club that now feels solid, integrated and capable, as opposed to the built-on-sand flimsiness of previous regimes.

Very nicely put Bob, I agree with every word. Whilst I do think that history will be kinder to the foundations laid by Fenlon in terms of the squad than it initially looked a few weeks ago, the fragility of the confidence of the players nearly two years into his reign was unacceptable.

There is now a real resolve about us and, as you say, a feeling about the club that for the first time in a long time, we are really onto something - we seem to have found a born leader who knows exactly what a big job he's got without being in any way overawed by it; the right man at the right time, hopefully.

I'm really excited about the rest of this season, and where we can go beyond it.

Andy74
13-01-2014, 08:32 PM
I think he is doing a brilliant PR job and people are feeling positive about Hibs.

Results? About the same on average so far.

Terry didn't get to play Inverness and Motherwell as Jimmy Nic took those. Fenlon lost both equivalent first round games.

Of the other comparable games Butcher has taken 3 less points I think.

Hopefully getting more crosses and shots in will work longer term and I think he will bring in pace that you need in this league so confident for the future.

IWasThere2016
13-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Much much better. We actually have shape and a plan these days.

It's not all about wins it's about seing there is improvement and a plan is in action.

Celtic and Aberden where both away also and we where unlucky in both.

:agree:

rcarter1
13-01-2014, 08:42 PM

This is it for me. All the worries and head scratching of the past few years seems to have evaporated.

I can imagine next season we will be looking down at our neighbours and in the words of Belloq we will be saying "We are very comfortable up here, That's right isn't it? Yes we are very comfortable up here."

:devil::sauzee::cb

Gustavo Fring
13-01-2014, 08:43 PM
he came in when we were on a shocking run and unable to score . he stopped the rot got us scoring , through the cup and on a 3 game winning streak

only teams to beat us are top 2 and he's got stevenson and hanlon playing 1000 times better . look forward to seein who he brings in and look forward to next season . gonna buy a season ticket for the 1st time in 6 years

most important is he has a buzz of excitement around easter road that has been missing for a good while

Jonnyboy
13-01-2014, 08:45 PM
As Rod Petrie might say 'progress is incremental' :wink:

Stax
13-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Feeling more optimistic than I have done for years. While I agree we may be at the same level As teams around us Just now, I can't see this being the case next season. As others have said it'll take more than this transfer window for Terry to put his stamp on the team. I think we now have a management team in place to match our infrastructure / ambitions.

EskbankHibee
13-01-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm really looking forward to new signings. Butcher can only play with the hand he's been dealt and its clear the squad isn't as good as we were told it was. I'm hoping the right personnel will not only bring better results but also a better brand of football

Saturdays Hero
13-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Very optimistic for the future under Butcher,for the 1st time in a long time I feel there's a professionalism throughout the team,hopefully gone are the token signings from guys like Cregg etc and were gonna be looking at a far better calibre of player,were famous for giving our ex-players another chance Gary O,Riordan,Sproule,Thompson (all who I think were past their best when we signed them again) that's not gonna happen under Butcher,our fitness levels already have improved,Terry ain't gonna suffer fools & that can only benefit the whole squad,promising times ahead.

trev the hat
13-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Two 1-0 defeats away to the top two teams in the league, from 10 competitive games.
Home form & turning draws into wins hopefully to come before the split.
Can't help feel how important an experienced striker is this window to keep the fans upbeat.

crewetollhibee
13-01-2014, 10:16 PM
For me it's the selection of players in their best positions, couldn't imagine wee Lewis playing right back for Hibs under Butcher.

B.H.F.C
13-01-2014, 10:21 PM
When Butcher was appointed one of the main things I wanted to start seeing was some home wins. So far he's won two from four and drew the other two. I think that's pretty reasonable with the same squad of players who had won twice at home in the league in the previous year. We've also only failed to score in one of those games.

He progressed in the cup and I'm hopeful we can go on another decent run.

The atmosphere for the derby game was the best at Easter Road in years. A lot of that was just down to his enthusiasm starting to rub off on people. Under Fenlon we would probably have had 3/4000 empty seats that night. Easter Road is a happier place.

The football isn't great but that was never going to happen in ten games with the same players. He has said himself that he wants to improve that in time and he seems keen to address the issues that we identified ages ago such as lack of pace.

IMO he's won the two games that mattered most from his ten which were the cup game and the derby.

basehibby
13-01-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm delighted with the impact Terry & Mo have made at the club already and intrigued as to what kind of new faces to expect in the coming weeks.

The team contains some good players but they seemed to have lost all direction under Fenlon - but they were instantly galvanised under the Butcher who seems to have a clear vision of what he wants and how he's going to achieve it.

The effect of having our two strongest box to box midfielders in the middle of the park rather than on the flanks is a pleasure to behold as is the sudden willingness of the whole team to get the ball forward and to shoot whenever the opportunity arises.

Overall the change in the brand of football on display has been marked and positive and Butcher and Malpas deserve great credit for achieving this in such a short space of time. Now it's time for Marsella to show what he's made of - here's hoping that he too will waste no time in showing why he was brought to ER by helping to add quality to the squad which will catapult us into the mix in the top 6 for the latter half of the season.

Ronniekirk
13-01-2014, 10:52 PM
As Rod Petrie might say 'progress is incremental' :wink:
Incremental with interest ,think he has done everything he can up till now and return to winning ways against St Midden will confirm we are still on the right road Hopefully by then there will also be something more definite on Transfer Front

DAVE1875
13-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Only concern is the strikers not scoring

Ronniekirk
13-01-2014, 11:19 PM
But they aren't his strikers ,so that's what the Transfer window is for . As Twa Rugs keeps reminding me ,we are only a third of the way through it .So let's keep the thread positive and upbeat .:agree:

Hibercelona
13-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Overall I would rate the improvements so far as "good".

We're seeing more resolute defending. Hanlon and Nelson look like they'll make a great pair under Butcher. Stevenson is really beginning to open up as a player, he just needs to keep his head down and his confidence up. The work rate of the squad is higher than i've seen in quite some time.

The main concern is obviously attack. Sometimes we try to rush the ball forward too quickly, when it would be better to go for a patient build up against certain teams.

We could do with a bit more skill up front. But we'll need to see more quality from the midfield area, otherwise it won't matter who we have up front. Unless we can find another Griffiths type player, which is highly unlikely at the moment.

jacomo
13-01-2014, 11:24 PM

Yup, been the problem all season.

But now we are at least scoring some goals, I'd like to see Hibs control games better when ahead. This frenetic attacking style is great when we're chasing a goal but we need more composure too. I hope this will come as TB certainly seems to have injected a bit of confidence into the team which has been so lacking.

Jim44
13-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Pass marks but nothing to write home about. I look forward to next season if Butcher gets scope to strengthen weaknesses.

Onion
14-01-2014, 06:44 AM
Started enjoying going to ER again, after months of watching Fenlon's depressingly negative football. That's a huge change in just 64 days.

Joy Zipper
14-01-2014, 06:48 AM
I am back to being mightily interested again, under Fenlon it almost got to the point I couldn't care

This.

HKhibby
14-01-2014, 06:49 AM
Progress

Same players that were so poor before and he's improved us, looking forward to him bringing in his own players to really judge him. Don't expect many I'm this window though so next season will be the true test for me.

So far I'm pleased.

I would agree with this, improved them as a team already, he will bring in his own team but will need at least until the summer for this to start to happen, probably bring in 2 at the most this transfer window, then i the summer a few anyway, this is when bargains start to appear and with Marsella having the contacts etc..hopefully this is when it will start to happen, as for top 6, maybe compete with St Johnston for that, but there could be a place freed up in the top 6 with ICT starting to slip down a bit.

ahibby
14-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Definite improvement. I would expect the team to have a slight downward blip at this point as Hef and Alex fit back in to the side after injury. He is also bringing on youth, Stanton and Cummings as opposed to using Vine and Taiwo. I'd say there is some adjustment to get used to at the moment. I appreciate that the likes of Cummings and Stanton need to play to get better but if you want to pick up points against the likes of Aberdeen, even if it is only one point then experience is probably the answer. Points for TB might be more important next season compared with this one because this season is perhaps more about getting to know what he has, getting some of the young lads he wants for next season well blooded, trying things and seeing what he needs. He knows as we do that mid table is about our whack this season but next season he will be out to improve on that. In short I think it's an experimental remainder of the season.

mutley
14-01-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm really looking forward to new signings. Butcher can only play with the hand he's been dealt and its clear the squad isn't as good as we were told it was. I'm hoping the right personnel will not only bring better results but also a better brand of football

That's pretty much the way I see it. From where we were to where we are now , I can see a clear difference, and that's with the same players, so there has been a definite improvement. One TB and his team start bringing in their own players I can only see further improvements yet to come.

jacomo
14-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Definite improvement. I would expect the team to have a slight downward blip at this point as Hef and Alex fit back in to the side after injury. He is also bringing on youth, Stanton and Cummings as opposed to using Vine and Taiwo. I'd say there is some adjustment to get used to at the moment. I appreciate that the likes of Cummings and Stanton need to play to get better but if you want to pick up points against the likes of Aberdeen, even if it is only one point then experience is probably the answer. Points for TB might be more important next season compared with this one because this season is perhaps more about getting to know what he has, getting some of the young lads he wants for next season well blooded, trying things and seeing what he needs. He knows as we do that mid table is about our whack this season but next season he will be out to improve on that. In short I think it's an experimental remainder of the season.

You earn a bonus point for not using the 't' word at any point in this post! :wink:

Bad Martini
14-01-2014, 11:57 AM
The Butcher effect...playing the right players most of the time and pretty much always where they should be. Sticking with the youth who WILL come good (I seen Cummings score the goal of the year for the under 20's - so did Fenlon, with his feet on the seat and scratching his head as we couldnt buy a goal) - no place in the team. Not so with Butcher.

Butcher also (like him or loathe him) will be heard. He wont **** about and will say what he wants. He has also ruffled plenty opposing managers and has got to a few as well without appearing like a twat who cant back it up.

Dont know what the future holds but Im delighted we no longer capitulate as much and I havent seen Rowan Vine being the linch pin of our genius now :cb

GGTTH

Keith_M
14-01-2014, 11:57 AM
The results in his time here are reasonable so far, given he has not yet brought in any of his own players. Only two defeats, both away, by a single goal, to the top two teams in the league.

Most people's opinion is that, generally, Hibs have been a bit more exciting to watch (though you can't please everybody). He seems to have great enthusiasm and, allied to his recent record at ICT, that's translated to a bit more optimism among the fans.

So far, he has a 100% record in local derbies and Cup Ties. He also has yet to lose 7-0 to anyone or be beaten 5-1 in a Cup Final by the noisy neighbours, so that must work in his favour as well :wink:

Islington Hibs
14-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Almost universal support! Something must be wrong :greengrin

Hard to argue that the whole set up is much more professional, purposeful and optimistic.

The team is clearly playing better, with a bit more confidence and is creating chances.

There is a lot of luck in football but I do think this management team is the real deal and while there will doubtless be ups and downs we are heading in the right direction.

Pretty Boy
14-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Going to games is getting back to being enjoyable, I always feel like something might happen. The goals scored column in the last few games backs this up.

If things keep going the way they are i'm pretty likely to renew my ST even though financially it makes no sense for me, under Fenlon there was not a chance I was renewing.