PDA

View Full Version : Ben Williams

yerauldda
13-01-2014, 02:43 PM
http://www.scotsman....epers-1-3264926 (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=8fc9dbb64ba480f6388b7cb6cec297a1&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pieandbovril.com%2Fforum%2Fin dex.php%2Ftopic%2F209411-the-premierships-best-goalkeepers%2Fpage-2&v=1&libId=d04eeb41-4da5-4adc-81bd-4da681cc176a&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scotsman.com%2Fsport%2Ffootba ll%2Flatest%2Fthe-scottish-premiership-s-12-best-goalkeepers-1-3264926&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pieandbovril.com%2Fforum%2Fin dex.php%2Fforum%2F2-scottish-premiership-general-chatter%2F&title=The%20Premiership's%20best%20goalkeepers%20-%20Page%202%20-%20Scottish%20Premiership%20General%20Chatter%20-%20The%20Pie%20Shop&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scotsman....epers-1-3264926&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13896276633098)

Big Ben 4th best 'keeper in the league according to the Scotsman. I'd personally say he's 3rd, although it's close between himself, Mannus and Kello.

roryg
13-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Not 4th or 3rd. Simply The Best. #1

EskbankHibee
13-01-2014, 02:53 PM
His contract has to be a top priority. Reliable keepers are few and far between for us

SaulGoodman
13-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Id say Kello and Big Ben are both better than Forster.

HibeeMG
13-01-2014, 02:55 PM
http://www.scotsman....epers-1-3264926 (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=8fc9dbb64ba480f6388b7cb6cec297a1&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pieandbovril.com%2Fforum%2Fin dex.php%2Ftopic%2F209411-the-premierships-best-goalkeepers%2Fpage-2&v=1&libId=d04eeb41-4da5-4adc-81bd-4da681cc176a&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scotsman.com%2Fsport%2Ffootba ll%2Flatest%2Fthe-scottish-premiership-s-12-best-goalkeepers-1-3264926&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pieandbovril.com%2Fforum%2Fin dex.php%2Fforum%2F2-scottish-premiership-general-chatter%2F&title=The%20Premiership's%20best%20goalkeepers%20-%20Page%202%20-%20Scottish%20Premiership%20General%20Chatter%20-%20The%20Pie%20Shop&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scotsman....epers-1-3264926&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13896276633098)

Big Ben 4th best 'keeper in the league according to the Scotsman. I'd personally say he's 3rd, although it's close between himself, Mannus and Kello.

Oor Ben is every bit as good as Forster in my eyes. Forster hasn't been as good this season.

Green tinted specs off..... I reckon that Jamie McDonald is a better keeper than both of them! :duck:

yerauldda
13-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Oor Ben is every bit as good as Forster in my eyes. Forster hasn't been as good this season.

Green tinted specs off..... I reckon that Jamie McDonald is a better keeper than both of them! :duck:

I wouldn't say he was as good, prior to this season he's been pretty poor. However, if we lose big Ben I wouldn't be averse to going for Macdonald to replace him!

EskbankHibee
13-01-2014, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't say he was as good, prior to this season he's been pretty poor. However, if we lose big Ben I wouldn't be averse to going for Macdonald to replace him!

Macdonald is a very limited keeper. Decent at shot stopping but can't command his area. Williams is better IMO

Vault Boy
13-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Macdonald is a very limited keeper. Decent at shot stopping but can't command his area. Williams is better IMO

Much, much better at that. A keeper not completely commanding their area at SPL standard is understandable, but MacDonald flaps at everything that isn't a shot, and in my opinion, his shot stopping leads him to being rather overrated by a number of parties. I'd argue that Ben deserves top 3, but to be fair, all of the top 4 are very good keepers and I can understand the ratings being the way that they are.

Heedersnvolleys
13-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Much, much better at that. A keeper not completely commanding their area at SPL standard is understandable, but MacDonald flaps at everything that isn't a shot, and in my opinion, his shot stopping leads him to being rather overrated by a number of parties. I'd argue that Ben deserves top 3, but to be fair, all of the top 4 are very good keepers and I can understand the ratings being the way that they are.

When he gets as much practice as he does he is bound to get some;-)

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Eh? Ben Williams is better thank Kello and Mannus hands down IMO anyway. :agree:

Bostonhibby
13-01-2014, 03:41 PM
When he gets as much practice as he does he is bound to get some;-)

MacDonald looks much better on telly, but you do get to see a lot of him this season.

Not a very good all round goal keeper, not bad at chucking himself at everything and hoping he stops it. Media maybe trying to help out the yam by talking up his value?

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2014, 03:41 PM
I'd like Williams to stay, but if he did leave i'd not be that bothered. Keepers of his ability are ten a penny in England, we'd be able to pick one up easily now we have a scout who actually knows what he'd doing.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2014, 04:07 PM
He's 3rd imo.

Forster and Kello are better.

erin-go-bragh87
13-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Eh? Ben Williams is better thank Kello and Mannus hands down IMO anyway. :agree:

100% this. It's between Forster and Ben for the top spot surely!

Hibdan12
13-01-2014, 04:37 PM
MacDonald cant catch a ball, he flaps at cross balls and he is a yam so dead last for me :agree:

ekhibee
13-01-2014, 04:46 PM
I'd actually agree with him being 4th best. He's usually quite good but he does make mistakes. Personally I'd put Manus at the top, to me he's an excellent keeper. Forster doesn't really have that much to do, but when he does he usually gets it right. Kello is another excellent keeper, and I would put him above Williams too. I'd agree with the comments about MacDonald as well. Good shot stopper, but not too clever with cross balls, but then neither is Williams. I'm not saying Williams is crap, just that in my opinion Manus, Forster and Kello are better.

sixtwo
13-01-2014, 04:52 PM
There is no other goalkeeper in our league, that i would rather have at Easter Road. Big Ben is our best since Goram

Islington Hibs
13-01-2014, 05:24 PM
I am a big fan. Great stopper, exudes confidence and all-round decent guy. I would sign him tomorrow if he wants to stay.

MrRobot
13-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Forster is better than Williams. However Williams is a very good goalkeeper.

mattyjacklegend
13-01-2014, 05:58 PM
MacDonald looks much better on telly, but you do get to see a lot of him this season.

Not a very good all round goal keeper, not bad at chucking himself at everything and hoping he stops it. Media maybe trying to help out the yam by talking up his value?

Hi guys, glad many of you agree with the article as it was written by Craig fowler based on a discussion myself, Craig and Joel had on the Terrace Podcast. I can assure you though we did not put MacDonald in the top six to raise his value, I wouldn't allow that, ha. The other two panelists are Jambos and did not rate him at all in previous years. He has improved a lot this season but I argued successfully against Joel that Williams was the better keeper. I to hope he stays, great goalie and on his day a complete match winner. Just about to rec tonight's show but Thursday's edition is online on terracepodcast.net if you guys fancy listening to the goalkeeping feature. Also don't hesitate to abuse or bring up things that you feel I should bring up in relation to Hibs on the show in the future.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-01-2014, 06:17 PM
I'd like Williams to stay, but if he did leave i'd not be that bothered. Keepers of his ability are ten a penny in England, we'd be able to pick one up easily now we have a scout who actually knows what he'd doing.
Don't know if you are at the wind ups again, but there is a lot of truth in your post.

Squealing pig
13-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Hats off to fenlon, sorted the gk position where many a manager has failed

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2014, 06:24 PM
I'd like Williams to stay, but if he did leave i'd not be that bothered. Keepers of his ability are ten a penny in England, we'd be able to pick one up easily now we have a scout who actually knows what he'd doing.They really aren't, you only need to watch the football league show to see how bad keepers in League 1 and 2 are and I don't see why any decent championship keeper would come here. Ben is a big player for us and we need him to stay.

tamig
13-01-2014, 06:36 PM
There is no other goalkeeper in our league, that i would rather have at Easter Road. Big Ben is our best since Goram

I'd put Budgie and Leighton both well ahead of Williams. He's certainly our best since Daniel Andersson.

Aldo
13-01-2014, 06:45 PM
I'd put Budgie and Leighton both well ahead of Williams. He's certainly our best since Daniel Andersson.

Roughie, Goram, Budgie, Leighton, Andersson and now Williams

Shame about the keek after Andersson and before Ben.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2014, 12:13 PM
They really aren't, you only need to watch the football league show to see how bad keepers in League 1 and 2 are and I don't see why any decent championship keeper would come here. Ben is a big player for us and we need him to stay.

My mate said the exact same thing when he watched the goal Hearts scored against us on the 2nd of Jan.

Williams has made quite a few howlers too, but we accept that because he's also been pretty steady in the main.

There are plenty of keepers in the lower leagues as good and better than Ben.

Scouse Hibee
14-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Williams has been pretty decent, the length of time it took us to find a decent keeper tells you how difficult it is to find a decent one. Or is it that sometimes your face fits and supporters are willing to give some players more slack than others?

Stevie Reid
14-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Williams has been pretty decent, the length of time it took us to find a decent keeper tells you how difficult it is to find a decent one. Or is it that sometimes your face fits and supporters are willing to give some players more slack than others?

I completely agree with the first half of your statement, but don't know where you're coming from with the second.

Ben had some dodgy moments when he first arrived (and indeed has had a couple recently) but I think it was pretty obvious to many even then that the understanding that he had with the back four, and the absolute faith that they had in him, was making a huge difference. He has his faults for sure, but he is light years ahead of every other keeper we have had since Daniel Andersson. When you have a keeper like Ben who is comfortable in possession and kicks well with both feet, it allows the back four to pass back to him comfortably, leading to less indecision, which puts you under so much less pressure in every game.

Some posters may have forgotten what it was like being completely on edge any time the ball went within 30 yards of our goal, or was played in behind us, but I certainly haven't.

Keith_M
14-01-2014, 01:35 PM
It's strange because a couple of people on here were claiming only recently that he's not a particularly good keeper, no better than we've had in the previous few years.

They're probably the same people that said Fletcher would never be any good as he was too one footed and that Whittaker was cr*p as he couldn't defend very well.

Scouse Hibee
14-01-2014, 01:40 PM
I completely agree with the first half of your statement, but don't know where you're coming from with the second.

Ben had some dodgy moments when he first arrived (and indeed has had a couple recently) but I think it was pretty obvious to many even then that the understanding that he had with the back four, and the absolute faith that they had in him, was making a huge difference. He has his faults for sure, but he is light years ahead of every other keeper we have had since Daniel Andersson. When you have a keeper like Ben who is comfortable in possession and kicks well with both feet, it allows the back four to pass back to him comfortably, leading to less indecision, which puts you under so much less pressure in every game.

Some posters may have forgotten what it was like being completely on edge any time the ball went within 30 yards of our goal, or was played in behind us, but I certainly haven't.

No neither have I and I back Williams 100%, I was simply referring to the fact that he has had such a good start and the support has taken to him that any mistakes will not be held against him so quickly.

Stevie Reid
14-01-2014, 02:55 PM
No neither have I and I back Williams 100%, I was simply referring to the fact that he has had such a good start and the support has taken to him that any mistakes will not be held against him so quickly.

Fair dos SH :aok:

I thought you were implying that some of his predecessors hadn't been given as fair a crack of the whip as Big Ben. Fully agree that he (rightly) gets cut slack for his very occasional misdemeanours, but that's as it should be. He is at a great age for a goalkeeper, if his family are settled here then we have an amazing opportunity to keep him here for a good while.

Swedish hibee
14-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Well, if he decides to walk- then I will be truly gutted. I'd sign him up for life.

Itsnoteasy
18-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Well, if he decides to walk- then I will be truly gutted. I'd sign him up for life.

Would you still sign him for life. Not done much right for me since the derby. A liability, I have been saying it for months & months.

dmc1875
18-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Would you still sign him for life. Not done much right for me since the derby. A liability, I have been saying it for months & months.

He is not a liability by any stretch of the imagination. I would agree he hasn't been at his best in the last four games or so though

hibee_girl
18-01-2014, 05:08 PM

:faf:

CallumLaidlaw
18-01-2014, 05:08 PM

A liability?? Get a grip. Best keeper
We've had in years

Thecat23
18-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Are you actually serious? "Saying he's a liability for months?" You clearly have no idea about goal keepers then.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-01-2014, 05:14 PM

Aye right then:faf:

chrisski33
18-01-2014, 05:16 PM

Yeah yeah jog on........

cabbageandribs1875
18-01-2014, 05:23 PM

i thought the 'sing him for life' was a tad silly....but so is the liability bit :greengrin yep he does have his scary moments now and then but i would still keep him(maybe just for half his life)

Itsnoteasy
18-01-2014, 05:24 PM
A liability?? Get a grip. Best keeper
We've had in years

That isnae hard. Tell me the last HFC keeper that hasnae blundered against the yams. No competition for him he is on easy street.

SaulGoodman
18-01-2014, 05:24 PM

Ltyf

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2014, 05:25 PM
I heard he's not re-signing - wants to head back down south.

Holmesdale Hibs
18-01-2014, 05:27 PM

I thought Andersson was a bit better but agree Ben is a very good keeper. Hope we can keep him.

FitbaFolkKen
18-01-2014, 05:28 PM
That isnae hard. Tell me the last HFC keeper that hasnae blundered against the yams. No competition for him he is on easy street.

Every post measuring our keepers you mention the Yams? Guess what, we aren't going to play them for a few years so it does not matter!

Ben has been solid and well worth an extended contract. Mistakes are disappointing but at our level they happen.

GreenCastle
18-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Did he actually have a proper save to make today - yes they scored 3 - 1st one was unlucky off the back of him.

2nd and 3rd not much chance!

Can't remember anything except a punch in the 2nd half.

I would sign him for next season - solid since he's been here - any better and he would be in England top leagues.

Danderhall Hibs
18-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Did he actually have a proper save to make today - yes they scored 3 - 1st one was unlucky off the back of him.

2nd and 3rd not much chance!

Can't remember anything except a punch in the 2nd half.

I would sign him for next season - solid since he's been here - any better and he would be in England top leagues.

So would I but if he doesn't want to stay what can TB do?

Viva_Palmeiras
18-01-2014, 07:43 PM

Folks from Gorgie have problems understanding the concept of liabilities right enough ;)

Itsnoteasy
18-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Folks from Gorgie have problems understanding the concept of liabilities right enough ;)

Don't tag us all wi that liability nonsense. ;-)

hfc rd
18-01-2014, 07:54 PM

If he's a liability then what are the previous pathetic Hibs GK's Zibi, Smith, Maka, Simon & Mark Brown like? Ben Williams has been the only decent GK we have had for a decade!

ManBearPig
18-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Just look at premiership keepers like Hart Mingolet and Krul ALL of them make errors!! Still all world class. Ben is reliable and far from a bomb scare one of the best in SPFL

Swedish hibee
18-01-2014, 09:50 PM

Yes. Absolutely.

i thought the 'sing him for life' was a tad silly....but so is the liability bit :greengrin yep he does have his scary moments now and then but i would still keep him(maybe just for half his life)

Heard he's not signing a new contract and what I meant was sign him up on a l o n g contract- so he can't go anywhere else. And after that, he can be our goalkeeping coach. That's all.

Pretty Boy
18-01-2014, 09:52 PM

Heard similar sadly.

I'd take Kello if Ben does go. Tin hat firmly on.

Bad Habits
18-01-2014, 09:54 PM

Sounds like you've been in Gorgie too long :confused:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Gutted if true. Lets appreciate him whilst he is still here!

Brightside
18-01-2014, 09:55 PM
He has been great but he was poor today. Whenever we put in a high cross today Kellogs picked them out. Didn't see that from Ben. I'm also sick of him punting balls out. its basic stuff ... if you punt the ball up you have an 80% chance of losing possession. Jordan was going out wide right looking for a roll out and he was ignored at least 6 times today.

capitals_finest
18-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Our keeper is as good a keeper as a club our size could hold on to for a long time and with our recent history of crap keepers it is important that he is given a new contract.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2014, 12:37 AM

This would be a huge blow.

I would say he's up there as one of our biggest assets.

I'll be gutted if we lose him in the summer.

Itsnoteasy
19-01-2014, 12:45 AM
This would be a huge blow.

I would say he's up there as one of our biggest assets.

I'll be gutted if we lose him in the summer.

Unfortunately we don't have any assets at this point in time.

Itsnoteasy
19-01-2014, 12:48 AM
Just look at premiership keepers like Hart Mingolet and Krul ALL of them make errors!! Still all world class. Ben is reliable and far from a bomb scare one of the best in SPFL

Point taken they do make mistakes. But they are trying to guard the goals against £50m strikers. Us boyd, thompson, commons etc

JollyGreenGiant
26-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Firstly, Ben Williams has been the best Hibs goalkeeper since Goram and Leighton IMO.

However, having been at the game today, and watched it back on Sky, is it just me or is Ben looking a little disinterested?

He has been poor for a few weeks now, and I see rumours on here about him not wanting to sign another deal. Fumbled a couple of times, and nowhere near any of the 4 goals today.

If so, is it time we signed a replacement, because he just doesn't look up for it these days!

HH81
26-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Hibs will be able to pick up the same standard from England on a free transfer.

Leishy1995
26-01-2014, 03:34 PM
I'd give Sean Murdoch a game tbh.

Billychaotic182
26-01-2014, 03:36 PM
If he doesn't sign a new deal I'd go for Kello

blackpoolhibs
26-01-2014, 03:42 PM

:agree: I'd prefer it if we'd get a better one though.

hiberactive
26-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Thought his all round game was poor today and the third goal summed up his performance-i would try and sign Simonsen from the huns,he looked good at Dundee.

cleanyman
26-01-2014, 04:54 PM
The lack of competition is ruining him right now.

Murdoch is a good back up keeper but he has his eye on becoming a top referee.

Every player should be challenged for a starting position

Inch Hibs
26-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Firstly, Ben Williams has been the best Hibs goalkeeper since Goram and Leighton IMO.

However, having been at the game today, and watched it back on Sky, is it just me or is Ben looking a little disinterested?

He has been poor for a few weeks now, and I see rumours on here about him not wanting to sign another deal. Fumbled a couple of times, and nowhere near any of the 4 goals today.

If so, is it time we signed a replacement, because he just doesn't look up for it these days!

Colgan and Anderson where better imo.

Inch Hibs
26-01-2014, 05:01 PM
The lack of competition is ruining him right now.

Murdoch is a good back up keeper but he has his eye on becoming a top referee.

Every player should be challenged for a starting position

We are interested in the old ICT goalie at Killie. Could see him come in this week.

Speedy
26-01-2014, 05:10 PM

It's not that easy though, or we'd have done it at some point over the last 10 years.

Cameron1875
26-01-2014, 05:12 PM
He's had a poor season considering the standards he set himself last season.

Worried about not having future secured or been tapped up by another club?

Pretty Boy
26-01-2014, 05:16 PM
We are interested in the old ICT goalie at Killie. Could see him come in this week.

Reguero?

Would be happy with that if true.

Inch Hibs
26-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Reguero?

Would be happy with that if true.

Yeah and me too.

keep the faith
26-01-2014, 05:25 PM
If he doesn't sign a new deal I'd go for Kello

Me too

Bishop Hibee
26-01-2014, 05:36 PM
I'd be disappointed if Williams left. No chance with goals 1,2 and 4 today. I'll need to see goal 3 but thought it went through him a bit but that may be harsh.

If Butcher can get better then great but he's our best since Anderson.

EastCalderHibby
26-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Forster is better than Williams. However Williams is a very good goalkeeper.

Would agree with that given the saves forster made today

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Williams and Marsella had a fallout again according to a few folk on the bounce... anyone else know anything?

SMAXXA
26-01-2014, 08:26 PM

I don't think he's had a poor season to be honest

patch1875
26-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Williams and Marsella had a fallout again according to a few folk on the bounce... anyone else know anything?

Heard he he doesn't rate him as a coach at all doesn't feel he gets a decent warm up before games as Marsella can't kick a ball!

from what I've heard he's no intention of staying.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Heard he he doesn't rate him as a coach at all doesn't feel he gets a decent warm up before games as Marsella can't kick a ball!

from what I've heard he's no intention of staying.

Whats happened to Scott Thomson? SM should do the scouting and ST should do warm ups imo.

snooky
26-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Would agree with that given the saves forster made today

Agreed. That was as much a factor in the result as the three blousers we gave away today.

oconnors_strip
26-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Whats happened to Scott Thomson? SM should do the scouting and ST should do warm ups imo.

Scott Thomson trains the youth keepers

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Scott Thomson trains the youth keepers

Cheers for that, was wondering where he was:greengrin

Kaiserclem
26-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Sean Murdoch would do a job for us IMO if Williams left! Seems to do a great job with team spirit also and a very well liked member of the dressing room.

Kaiserclem
26-01-2014, 10:52 PM

According to Scott. Thomson's brother, Butcher doesn't rate him as a goalkeeping coach and basically said he would train the youth players but 'u probably don't wanna stay to do that do u?' Toms on said yes as felt he didn't want to be forced out for Marsella.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2014, 11:47 PM

I think that's extremely harsh.

He could do nothing about the first one as Commons was right through on goal after the defensive mix up. The second goal was just a fantastic free kick. Peter Schmeichel, Gianluigi Buffon and Iker Casillas could all have been in the goal at the same time today and they wouldn't have saved that. The fourth one was a penalty and no goalkeeper can ever be blamed for not saving a penalty, especially one that was hit with as much power as Commons hit his with.

The third goal was the only one where he may be a bit disappointed with himself.

Williams is one of the best keepers we've had in the last decade or so. If he didn't occasionally make mistakes, he wouldn't be playing for Hibs.

Beefster
27-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Given that we've slaughtered and written off pretty much every other player in the squad, it was inevitable that Williams' turn would come at some point.

Unseen work
27-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Big bens brilliant
Yesterday he could of done better with the 3rd goal but I think the pace of she shot caught him off guard
Against st mirren he got a own goal which he could do nothing about

People seem to forget all the points he's saved us

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Ben Williams has had some questionable moments in a Hibs shirt but what player doesn't. He is has done a good job in what is, in my opinion, the most scruntised position in Scottish football due to past happenings.

Due to a few shockers we signed a few years ago our keepers will be scruntinised by us, fans of other clubs and the media until we get a run of keepers who make very few mistakes and never let in questionable goals. Not sure that exists at our budget level.

I don't actually think Williams makes any more or any less mistakes than other keepers in the league - he is just open to more scruntiny than any other.

LancsHibs
27-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Big Ben is a decent keeper no doubt but he's not as good as some on here think he is! That's down to the relief of getting a steady mostly reliable keeper after some of the impostors & bombscares of recent years!!
For me if he stays great if not I will wish him well and put my trust in TB and his team to recruit a replacement just as good but hopefully even better.

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Big Ben is a decent keeper no doubt but he's not as good as some on here think he is! That's down to the relief of getting a steady mostly reliable keeper after some of the impostors & bombscares of recent years!!
For me if he stays great if not I will wish him well and put my trust in TB and his team to recruit a replacement just as good but hopefully even better.

100% spot on, any other club in the SPFL wouldnt bother their arse if they lost him, as the'd just pick up a similar replacement.

We on the other hand have had a long line of numptys, so when we get one thats on a par with most of the other in Scotland, we think we have struck gold.

Stevie Reid
27-01-2014, 08:44 AM
I find it truly laughable that people play down his importance to us - he has had a poor few weeks by his standards for sure, but he's been superb since his arrival. Could we pick up another keeper as good? Of course we could - but the idea that it will be a piece of piss is ridiculous.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 08:49 AM
I find it truly laughable that people play down his importance to us - he has had a poor few weeks by his standards for sure, but he's been superb since his arrival. Could we pick up another keeper as good? Of course we could - but the idea that it will be a piece of piss is ridiculous.

110% agree with that.

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2014, 08:52 AM

He's up there with the best shot stoppers i have seen at Hibs, but he's poor coming off his line for crosses, and since day 1 he's also prone to making real howlers that have resulted in some very poor goals conceded.

The amount of very soft goals that are entirely down to him is growing weekly, yet saying that i'd still keep him because he's as good as anything else in the SPFL.

Yet to say he's had a poor few weeks is as ridiculous as saying its not a piece of piss to pick up another just as good. He's been making the same type of mistakes since he signed, just less of them that previous keepers.

The lower leagues in England is awash with similar standard keepers like Williams, you really need to watch some of it.

J-C
27-01-2014, 08:55 AM
I feel Williams needs competition for the no.1 jersey, would be good to find a younger keeper in his mid 20's pushing Ben to his limit and keep him on top of his game.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2014, 09:00 AM
I stil rate him highly, there is no doubt though that the mistakes are occuring on a regular basis now, need another keeper to put some pressure on him.

Stevie Reid
27-01-2014, 09:05 AM
He's up there with the best shot stoppers i have seen at Hibs, but he's poor coming off his line for crosses, and since day 1 he's also prone to making real howlers that have resulted in some very poor goals conceded.

The amount of very soft goals that are entirely down to him is growing weekly, yet saying that i'd still keep him because he's as good as anything else in the SPFL.

Yet to say he's had a poor few weeks is as ridiculous as saying its not a piece of piss to pick up another just as good. He's been making the same type of mistakes since he signed, just less of them that previous keepers.

The lower leagues in England is awash with similar standard keepers like Williams, you really need to watch some of it.

It's not ridiculous to say he's had a poor few weeks by his standards, he's let in a few soft goals of late, something he has done sporadically since his arrival, not regularly - I agree with those who say that direct competition could help him. However, compared to other goalkeepers we have had they have been far, far less.

I don't need to watch the English lower leagues to know that we have had a host of bad goalkeepers in recent years. As I said, it's perfectly possible that we could pick up another just as good - I'd just rather we didn't have to, as our track record is poor.

Regardless, I would imagine that he probably will be on his way now, think he would have signed by now if he were going to - so we will see what happens.

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2014, 09:13 AM
It's not ridiculous to say he's had a poor few weeks by his standards, he's let in a few soft goals of late, something he has done sporadically since his arrival, not regularly - I agree with those who say that direct competition could help him. However, compared to other goalkeepers we have had they have been far, far less.

I don't need to watch the English lower leagues to know that we have had a host of bad goalkeepers in recent years. As I said, it's perfectly possible that we could pick up another just as good - I'd just rather we didn't have to, as our track record is poor.

Regardless, I would imagine that he probably will be on his way now, think he would have signed by now if he were going to - so we will see what happens.

I'd agree you dont need to watch the English lower legues to know we have had a host of poor keepers recently, but you would need to look at it to see there are many just as good and better than Williams.

I practically agree with nearly all of the rest of your post, apart from i think he's been making the same kind of mistakes since day 1. Although as i did say these mistakes are less than the keepers he followed.

As for our track record being poor at bringing in keepers, i have faith in the new management team, plus i dont think its that difficult to bring in a similar standard of keeper to Williams.

Thats why i wont panic should he leave.

Stevie Reid
27-01-2014, 09:17 AM
I'd agree you dont need to watch the English lower legues to know we have had a host of poor keepers recently, but you would need to look at it to see there are many just as good and better than Williams.

I practically agree with nearly all of the rest of your post, apart from i think he's been making the same kind of mistakes since day 1. Although as i did say these mistakes are less than the keepers he followed.

As for our track record being poor at bringing in keepers, i have faith in the new management team, plus i dont think its that difficult to bring in a similar standard of keeper to Williams.

Thats why i wont panic should he leave.

As I said, I certainly don't doubt that there are a good few keepers down there of similar standard - though that doesn't mean that they'll be available and willing to sign for Hibs.

Regardless, I agree that we shouldn't panic - if he goes, he goes - however, I very much value the contribution he has made, and am truly grateful for that. For several seasons it was palpitation time any time the ball went near our goalkeeper - that hasn't been the case with Ben.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2014, 09:34 AM
My only critisism of Ben is that he sometimes misses crosses from corners completely and i absolutely **** myself:greengrin

Speedway
27-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Doesn't matter, he won't be here next season.

JollyGreenGiant
08-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Said it last game and I will say it again, he has chucked it!

Doesn't look interested anymore.

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Horrendous 'attempt' for their third. Pathetic

Pretty Boy
08-02-2014, 03:12 PM
That 3rd goal was shocking.

A header that sneaked into about 2 yards off space. Went down so slowly.

He needs to get his head sorted as he's made a few mistakes lately.

Heisenberg
08-02-2014, 03:13 PM
He's been rubbish for weeks now. Wtf was he doing for the winner?

Hibs90
08-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Mind elsewhere clearly, not been with it since the turn of the year.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
08-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Looks uninterested.

patch1875
08-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Drop him he's offski at the end of the season.

nic81
08-02-2014, 03:29 PM
I said on this forum a few weeks ago what everyone else is saying now and was shot down in flames, either drop him to shock him or let him leave, curse of the hibs goalie strikes again

green.and.white
08-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Unblelievable positioning for the third, beaten by a backward header at the near post? What on Earth...

Sprouleflyer
08-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Looks uninterested.

Correct! When was the last time he made an important save? He is off at the end of the season...... God knows where after his last few performances!

Westie1875
08-02-2014, 03:37 PM

Hard to disagree with this, his attempt at the 3rd today was pathetic!

DaveF
08-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Looked like a lazy, piss poor effort for the third goal. Pathetic.

GlasgowHibee
08-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Was told before the game today that he is supposedly fuming at the treatment of KT AND Vine.

Aldo
08-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Was told before the game today that he is supposedly fuming at the treatment of KT AND Vine.

Really. Fuming. Must of been really upset!!!

Pretty Boy
08-02-2014, 03:49 PM
If he's not happy and it's impacting on his performances, something clearly is, then drop him.

If he wants to go then he can go imo. He's been decent for the most part but there will be keepers available in the summer who will do a job.

danhibees1875
08-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Correct! When was the last time he made an important save? He is off at the end of the season...... God knows where after his last few performances!

An important save is only that if the rest of the team produce something. He made a really good save with his legs (I think at 2-2) today and had we gone on to win then that would have counted as an important save.

He shouldn't have been beaten at the third so easily, but there are a lot of other reasons for our recent form.

offshorehibby
08-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Really. Fuming. Must of been really upset!!!

Well he'll be even more fuming when he's dropped next week.

GreenCastle
08-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Williams is the least of our problems.

Who do fans think is better and we should bring in ?? Careful what you wish for....

Aldo
08-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Well he'll be even more fuming when he's dropped next week.

Indeed.

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2014, 04:04 PM
NO NO NO NO NO, He's the best keeper since Goram, we are lucky to have someone as good as him.:rolleyes:

Cameron1875
08-02-2014, 04:08 PM

Bump

Pray4Marc
08-02-2014, 04:20 PM

I agree. Body language tells a story.

Itsnoteasy
08-02-2014, 06:57 PM

http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by gorgiegreens http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?p=3875019#post3875019)

Not many people laughing now at my comments made last month.

eastterrace
08-02-2014, 07:04 PM
i thought he looked slow for the third goal, also what was he doing racing out of his goal when the guy was running through, he had no chance of getting to tha ball. he has been pish since the derby ( even he cost the goal in that game ) think he has been reading all the praise he was getting and it went to his head. if he is going somewhere at end of season the drop him and give someone else a chance.

Northernhibee
08-02-2014, 07:09 PM
http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by gorgiegreens http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?p=3875019#post3875019)

Stop attention seeking - it's only late that Ben has been off form. He needs to rediscover that form but get a grip.

Jonnyboy
08-02-2014, 07:09 PM

FFS the 'treatment' of these guys has eff all to do with Williams. What is he, their shop steward?

LioNeilMessi
08-02-2014, 07:31 PM

Great, you're right.. So what?

Itsnoteasy
08-02-2014, 07:48 PM
i thought he looked slow for the third goal, also what was he doing racing out of his goal when the guy was running through, he had no chance of getting to tha ball. he has been pish since the derby ( even he cost the goal in that game ) think he has been reading all the praise he was getting and it went to his head. if he is going somewhere at end of season the drop him and give someone else a chance.

Good to see someone else who disnae wear blinkers to a game.

:top marks:not worth

Itsnoteasy
08-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Stop attention seeking - it's only late that Ben has been off form. He needs to rediscover that form but get a grip.

No competition for the jersey. He is on easy street. Attention NOT. Got shot down when posted that comment. But unfortunately I think I was right.

sleeping giant
08-02-2014, 07:56 PM
FFS the 'treatment' of these guys has eff all to do with Williams. What is he, their shop steward?

And why should it affect his performances ?
I've seen guys binned at my work and if anything , it made me up my game.

Can I just add that this KT and Vine sympathy is just pure speculation.

Northernhibee
08-02-2014, 07:56 PM
No competition for the jersey. He is on easy street. Attention NOT. Got shot down when posted that comment. But unfortunately I think I was right.

Even if you're right, what do you want, a medal?

Jonnyboy
08-02-2014, 07:58 PM
And why should it affect his performances ?
I've seen guys binned at my work and if anything , it made me up my game.

Can I just add that this KT and Vine sympathy is just pure speculation.

Indeed. Speculation germinates into a Hibs.net FACT when repeated often enough :greengrin

IberianHibernian
08-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Good to see someone else who disnae wear blinkers to a game.

:top marks:not worthIt`s only about 3 years ago that we had 3 experienced goalies which at the time seemed a waste of resources but now we seem to be in opposite situation with Williams , Murdoch ( is he still with us ? not on bench today - was very impressed with him in friendly in Gibraltar ) , Grant and a few other youngsters . At time we signed Williams I thought it was unnecessary having Stack and M Brown but suppose PF wanted to change things . Wasn`t that impressed by BW at first but his penalty saves and character were good for team and it`s a pity his form has dipped in last few months . If he wants to stay with us I`d still be looking to keep him but we definitely need another experienced keeper . That keeper may be Murdoch .

weonlywon6-2
08-02-2014, 08:02 PM
weve not had a decent keeper for years,long gone are the days where we at least had a decent guy between the sticks

hibbysam
08-02-2014, 11:26 PM
He made a world class stop in the first half, possibly at 1-1 when he tipped it onto the post... He made another vital stop at 2-2 with his legs... He came racing out and actually put the guy off when he was through rather than let him run 1 on 1 with him... Yet gets his positioning slightly wrong for there third which should have been stopped twice, once at the cross and at the header.. And he gets slaughtered for it? No wonder our keepers ***** themselves when the fans can't even recognise top drawer stops!

LancsHibs
09-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Heard from somebody that Matt Gilkes will be Hibs goalie next season, not sure how clued up this person is. I for one would welcome that if true

wookie70
09-02-2014, 12:15 AM
He made a world class stop in the first half, possibly at 1-1 when he tipped it onto the post... He made another vital stop at 2-2 with his legs... He came racing out and actually put the guy off when he was through rather than let him run 1 on 1 with him... Yet gets his positioning slightly wrong for there third which should have been stopped twice, once at the cross and at the header.. And he gets slaughtered for it? No wonder our keepers ***** themselves when the fans can't even recognise top drawer stops!

I agree with this. The save he tipped on to the post which was an excellent save. You can argue his venture out of the box was misjudged but it worked. The third goal he could maybe do better but that was a wonder header and most keepers would struggle to save it. His defense were far more at fault than he was today.

SteveHFC
09-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Heard from somebody that Matt Gilkes will be Hibs goalie next season, not sure how clued up this person is. I for one would welcome that if true

:top marksThat would be a great signing

Pretty Boy
09-02-2014, 12:21 AM

That would be an unbelievably good signing.

Nevi_SOL
09-02-2014, 12:59 AM

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/spurs/transfer-talk/news/spurs-target-gilks_135741.html

Doubt it but would love this to happen

hfc rd
09-02-2014, 01:40 AM

Isn't he not the Blackpool number 1? Would love to see this happen as it would be a wonderful signing but I just can't see it as I'm sure he will be on a big wage that is well out of our reach down there.

cabbageandribs1875
09-02-2014, 01:52 AM
when was the last time we produced a good decent reliable keeper from within our own ranks ? from my memory of good keepers over the decades we've had...

Thomson Allan- from our own

jim McArthur- came from cowdenbeath

jim leighton- Aberdeen/Man u etc

Alan Rough- from the Harry Wraggs

Andy Goram- from oldham

Andy McNeil- from our own, was a decent shot-stopper but prone to ermmm lapses, and now plying his trade in Hamilton New Zealand

further back, Ronnie Simpson- from Newcastle

and of course Tommy Younger- from our own

probably missed another couple out

Steve-O
09-02-2014, 02:33 AM
We've never produced a good keeper of our own in my lifetime.

cocopops1875
09-02-2014, 07:43 AM
when was the last time we produced a good decent reliable keeper from within our own ranks ? from my memory of good keepers over the decades we've had...

Andy Goram- from oldham

Andy McNeil- from our own, was a decent shot-stopper but prone to ermmm lapses, and now plying his trade in Hamilton New Zealand

We signed McNeil from Southampton I think, he did not come through our ranks

cabbageandribs1875
09-02-2014, 08:55 AM
We signed McNeil from Southampton I think, he did not come through our ranks

ta, southampton youth, so that takes us back even further then...Thomson Allan, we've surely had another one in that time

Beefster
09-02-2014, 09:21 AM
It does appear that Williams' head might be elsewhere but, in yesterday's defence, he's way down the pecking order of players to worry about (alongside Hanlon). Buffon would be made to look a chump playing behind some of our 'defenders'.

eastterrace
09-02-2014, 10:27 AM

he put the guy off running through aye right hed made a cock up of that, the defenders would have caught him no problem just look were he was when he chipped the ball over williams they had went passed him by then. he has been pish for months , he will be on his bike and it shows.

StevieT
09-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Andy Goram- from oldham

You missed out big Mike McDonald. He was murder mind.

Itsnoteasy
09-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Even if you're right, what do you want, a medal?

It's probably the only medal I will see for years. So yes that would be nice. Lets hope we get a keeper that disnae make an arse against yams. If and when that will happen in the future.

Smiggy 7-0
09-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Never thought his kicking was up to much.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-02-2014, 01:27 PM
McNeil was awful

scoopyboy
09-02-2014, 01:43 PM
ta, southampton youth, so that takes us back even further then...Thomson Allan, we've surely had another one in that time

Chris Reid

weonlywon6-2
09-02-2014, 02:17 PM

john burridge,how could you forget !!

cabbageandribs1875
09-02-2014, 02:29 PM

he was a bit of a giant eh :agree:

Chris Reid

poor guy was limited to 35 first team appearances in nearly a decade....up against class keepers in Goram and Leighton didn't help right enough

john burridge,how could you forget !!

can't believe i missed Budgie out :embarrass

sleeping giant
09-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Chris Reid

Robin Ray.

Stevie Reid
10-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Saw the 3rd goal about 6 times on SSN over the weekend. Each time I thought he was going to save it. Really bad goal to lose.

JimBHibees
10-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Saw the 3rd goal about 6 times on SSN over the weekend. Each time I thought he was going to save it. Really bad goal to lose.

Yep it seemed to go in in slow motion. The amount of time the ball was in the air IMO he should have been able to move his feet and save it.

Hibs7
10-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Think Williams is Offski, doesn't seem to be bothered and no news of a deal on the table !!!!!!

weonlywon6-2
10-02-2014, 03:10 PM
he was a bit of a giant eh :agree:

poor guy was limited to 35 first team appearances in nearly a decade....up against class keepers in Goram and Leighton didn't help right enough

can't believe i missed Budgie out :embarrass

go and sit in the corner !!

The Sea-gull
10-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Think Williams is Offski, doesn't seem to be bothered and no news of a deal on the table !!!!!!

I don't know why but I'm starting to think that way too. It is inevitable when a new management team comes in that they will want to get rid of some players an/or some players will want to leave of their own accord.

Would have been disappointed to see BW go a while back but now I'm not really fussed either way. He's not irreplaceable and while still being a decent keeper, he is not as good as some think he is and has seemed better than he actually is due to some of the clowns that have kept goal for hibs in the ten years or so preceding Williams.

If he stays fine, if he goes it is not big deal.

weonlywon6-2
10-02-2014, 03:22 PM
i wouldnt lose any sleep if he moved on.I trust Butcher to land a decent keeper if needs be

Smiggy 7-0
10-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Saw the 3rd goal about 6 times on SSN over the weekend. Each time I thought he was going to save it. Really bad goal to lose.Not one of his better games, but what about the heap on Sh*** in front of him?

blackpoolhibs
10-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Not one of his better games, but what about the heap on Sh*** in front of him?

If we had 4 traffic cones playing in front of him, i'd still expect my keeper to save some of the absolute howlers this guy has let in.

Itsnoteasy
10-02-2014, 07:48 PM

Yee Ha

Borderhibbie76
10-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Was a massive fan of Ben last year but his form this season has been poor. Several costly errors and misjudgement s ...he was lucky not to get sent off at Tannadice a few weeks back. If he is off in the summer I wont lose any sleep. Fwiw I would drop him for murdoch this Saturday. ..along with a few others who need dropping including our so called captain

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Do folk think he's maybe pissed off at having the captaincy taken off him? He shouldn't as it wouldn't appear to be anything personal. TB said he doesn't like goalkeepers as captains. I agree with that. The drop in form seems to be since the change, however.

Bayern Bru
10-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Apologies if already mentioned but could see Reguero coming in if Williams goes. Not getting a look-in at Killie.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Apologies if already mentioned but could see Reguero coming in if Williams goes. Not getting a look-in at Killie.

Is he any good? Mannus would be a good replacement too.

Brightside
11-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Anyone know why Bobo Grant was on the Bench and not Murdoch?

hibee_girl
11-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Anyone know why Bobo Grant was on the Bench and not Murdoch?

Murdoch was injured.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Do folk think he's maybe pissed off at having the captaincy taken off him? He shouldn't as it wouldn't appear to be anything personal. TB said he doesn't like goalkeepers as captains. I agree with that. The drop in form seems to be since the change, however.

The captain gets paid more right? I've long suspected Hibs (managers) used this as a means of getting around wage structures rather than choosing the right person for the job.

ManBearPig
11-03-2014, 12:14 PM
am I missing something but he hardly makes a blunder, great shot stopper and player of year last season and now people getting on his back?! crazy ok maybe he is sometimes a little timid coming for crosses but he is not van dersar and better than most why the hatred all of a sudden.

J-C
11-03-2014, 12:18 PM
am I missing something but he hardly makes a blunder, great shot stopper and player of year last season and now people getting on his back?! crazy ok maybe he is sometimes a little timid coming for crosses but he is not van dersar and better than most why the hatred all of a sudden.

Maybe cause he's been very poor this season and looks disinterested, rumour has it he wants back down south and has been said before, there's plenty decent goalies knocking around the English leagues.

bingo70
11-03-2014, 12:52 PM

I think he makes plenty blunders, hes such a good shot stopper this gets overlooked but he makes far too many blunders for my liking.

Would be quite happy if he was to move on

johncrobertson@
11-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Always thought Jason Gardiner was going to be a top keeper. Sadly like many others - seemed to lose his way!

PeterboroHibee
11-03-2014, 02:01 PM
i wouldnt lose any sleep if he moved on.I trust Butcher to land a decent keeper if needs be

Agreed. I think hes a decent keeper, and hes been a massive improvement on any keeper we have had in recent years, but if he wants to go then Im sure we will find a good enough replacement.

truehibernian
11-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Always thought Jason Gardiner was going to be a top keeper. Sadly like many others - seemed to lose his way!

Jason was a decent stopper but was almost 'too nice' as a keeper - didn't really command his area. Nice lad though, I think he went into retail security IIRC.

Scouse Hibee
11-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Jason was a decent stopper but was almost 'too nice' as a keeper - didn't really command his area. Nice lad though, I think he went into retail security IIRC.

He did for a few years after injury finished him completely, now a joiner. Have worked with Jason he's a top bloke.

ManBearPig
11-03-2014, 09:39 PM
He did for a few years after injury finished him completely, now a joiner. Have worked with Jason he's a top bloke.

hr coaches young laddies these days ar just4keepers. top guy and was unfortunate to be at hibs when we had good goalies

johncrobertson@
12-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Remember him when Hibs won the Youth Cup at Easter Road. Outstanding young keeper who was one of the best kickers of a ball I have seen amongst goalies.