PDA

View Full Version : Best ever Yam supporting Hibs player?

theonlywayisup
11-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Following on from the Jamie Walker thread, who do you consider to be the best ever Hibs player who grew up supporting the Yams.

Might be one for the older posters.

Mr White
11-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Gordon smith. Also bobby johnstone although both were from afar rather than local attendees at tynecastle.

Keith_M
11-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Gordon smith.

Burn the witch!!!

Billychaotic182
11-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Steven Whitticker?

theonlywayisup
11-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Gordon smith. Also bobby johnstone although both were from afar rather than local attendees at tynecastle.

Yes, Gordon Smith was the one I was thinking about, though was he not brought up in Dundee. Didn't know Bobby Johnstone was a Yam fan.

Keith_M
11-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Yes, Gordon Smith was the one I was thinking about, though was he not brought up in Dundee. Didn't know Bobby Johnstone was a Yam fan.

I thought he supported Rangers as a kid.

From Falkirk wasn't he? (no connection implied to being a Rangers Fan)

Mr White
11-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Montrose I think. Bobby johnstones biography written by a man city fan mentions hearts were his favourite team growing up in selkirk as 2 hearts players in the 30s were from selkirk IIRC. Can't remember their names though.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Wouldn't say he was the best but I do smile with the knowledge that Mikey Stewart gave the best year of his career to Hibs ;)

Mr White
11-01-2014, 07:28 PM
I thought he supported Rangers as a kid.

From Falkirk wasn't he? (no connection implied to being a Rangers Fan)
Turnbull and ormond were from the falkirk area.

jodjam
11-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Certainly not the best , but Gordon Rae played most of his career with us and my memories of him were that he was always dependable.

andy1875
11-01-2014, 07:39 PM
There's only really one candidate for me. A standout!

It has to be the one and only Zibi.

He was a Jambo, right? :greengrin

Walloper

theonlywayisup
11-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Certainly not the best , but Gordon Rae played most of his career with us and my memories of him were that he was always dependable.

Was Gordon Rae a Yam?

jodjam
11-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Was Gordon Rae a Yam?

Maybe memory playing tricks but I'm sure I read many years ago that he supported them as a bairn

Jonnyboy
11-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Was Gordon Rae a Yam?

As a boy yes, but he soon learned the error of his ways :greengrin

Bostonhibby
11-01-2014, 08:06 PM
As a boy yes, but he soon learned the error of his ways :greengrin

He's a Hibby now :-) great servant to the club.

Was going to throw the late (and very great) Alan Gordon into the mix. Was never sure as I used to bump into him occasionally in Mathers in Broughton street when I worked in Albany St and he was at Radio Forth. Used to kid us on about who he supported but he spoke fondly of Hibs and signed a 7-0 programme for me.

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-01-2014, 08:08 PM
I was good mates with Gordon's son through primary and secondary school. They lived at the end of my street and I used to love going round to the house and seeing all the Hibs memorabilia on the walls. Was 100% a huge Hibs fan. No idea about when he was a wee boy. He certainly never gave the impression of being so silly in his younger years :-)

snooky
11-01-2014, 08:09 PM

And both were converts from Hunsville :-)

RIP Bestie
11-01-2014, 08:09 PM
He's a Hibby now :-) great servant to the club.

Was going to throw the late (and very great) Alan Gordon into the mix. Was never sure as I used to bump into him occasionally in Mathers in Broughton street when I worked in Albany St and he was at Radio Forth. Used to kid us on about who he supported but he spoke fondly of Hibs and signed a 7-0 programme for me.
Darren Jackson was one

snooky
11-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Alan "Tosh" Gordon (of goal no. 7 fame)?

thebakerboy
11-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Was Gordon Rae a Yam?
Gordon grew up a Jambo and his father always wore a Jambo scarf but Gordon was converted to the sunny side from the Dark. As for Whitty he comes from a staunch Jambo family but his grandad is a Hibby. His sister met her husband travelling an a Jambo bus so little hope there.

craigmounthibby
11-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Let's hope the answer to this question in a couple of years time is Jason Cummings.

Jonny1875
12-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Let's hope the answer to this question in a couple of years time is Jason Cummings.

He's from Dublin so I doubt he supported hearts.

johnbc70
12-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Not according to the official site, born in Edinburgh.

Scouse Hibee
12-01-2014, 10:09 AM

I thought he was Edinburgh born, played with Hutchie and Hearts before coming to us.

wearethehibs
12-01-2014, 10:10 AM

1 of my Jambo mates tells me he was a die hard Jambo.

They realesed him when he broke his leg. He then started scoring loads for Hutchie and they tried to sign him again. He turned them down for us because they never stuck by him through his injury.

So maybe he doesn't like them anymore :)

Boyle89
12-01-2014, 10:22 AM

They realesed him when he broke his leg. He then started scoring loads for Hutchie and they tried to sign him again. He turned them down for us because they never stuck by him through his injury.

I've heard similar, sure he's a yam, or should I say, he was....

Inch Hibs
12-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Whittaker.

Keith_M
12-01-2014, 11:04 AM

Cheers, my memory playing tricks again.

:thumbsup:

.Sean.
12-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Wrong. Staunch Jambo.

hibby19
12-01-2014, 01:10 PM

His whole family are hearts fans. Have it on good authority however that he was going round singing Sunshine on Leith before the derby to wind up his dad!

Inch Hibs
12-01-2014, 01:21 PM

All correct apart from he signed for is on the advice of Darren Murray who is friends with his old man.

nonshinyfinish
12-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Surely Gordon Smith is the only answer here?

He'd be among a fairly small number of candidates for the simpler title of 'best ever Hibs player', so he must have this slightly contrived category sewn up.

No disrespect to Whitty, who was a great and sometimes under-appreciated player for us, but come on.