PDA

View Full Version : A new left back

Bronson
11-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Has to be a priority this window. I'm not wetting the bed over last night as I felt we were unlucky not to get something although we were pretty poor 2nd half. McGivern is the weak link in our team though and I felt it showed last night. I've said it all season, he just doesn't look the player he was a year ago and he's had plenty time to pick up his form.

Graeme Shinnie too much to ask?

Hiber-nation
11-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Has to be a priority this window. I'm not wetting the bed over last night as I felt we were unlucky not to get something although we were pretty poor 2nd half. McGivern is the weak link in our team though and I felt it showed last night. I've said it all season, he just doesn't look the player he was a year ago and he's had plenty time to pick up his form.

McGivern has been fine in the last couple of games. Lewis can slot in there too. Backup or replacement for Nelson and a new striker and creative player are far bigger priorities for me.

fat freddy
11-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Not a priority for me...We would need to spend a lot money to get a left back better than McGirven. He may make the occasional bad decision but I think he's the best left back we've had since David Murphy was here. He has height, presence, compusure, confidence and a sweet left foot. His stamina also allows him to get up and down the line where he is developing a good understanding with Lewis.... Our signing priorities lie in the forward positions. We dont concede many goals which suggests the defence is doing its job, we dont score many goals which suggests the strikers aren't doing theirs.

Unseen work
11-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Aaron Taylor sinclair from Partick thistle

Berwickhibby
11-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Not a priority for me...We would need to spend a lot money to get a left back better than McGirven. He may make the occasional bad decision but I think he's the best left back we've had since David Murphy was here. He has height, presence, compusure, confidence and a sweet left foot. His stamina also allows him to get up and down the line where he is developing a good understanding with Lewis.... Our signing priorities lie in the forward positions. We dont concede many goals which suggests the defence is doing its job, we dont score many goals which suggests the strikers aren't doing theirs.

I have to agree with you 100%

Mikeystewart
11-01-2014, 01:07 PM
With the 4th best defense in the league and the 3rd Worst scoring record in the league an attacking player winger/striker would be my priority for the moment.

I'm sure using some mathematical jiggery pogery these stats would suggest a 6/7th place finish.

Onion
11-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Wouldn't give up on McGivern yet as we know he can be a decent player. Would be different had he played like this from day one. There are higher priorities - like pace/flare in midfield and goalscoring.

Our back 4 is probably as good as anything we've had in a few years and if we can avoid injuries, should improve further.

Brightside
11-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Wouldn't give up on McGivern yet as we know he can be a decent player. Would be different had he played like this from day one. There are higher priorities - like pace/flare in midfield and goalscoring.

Our back 4 is probably as good as anything we've had in a few years and if we can avoid injuries, should improve further.

Never been a fan of his and I've not seen anything during his time at the club to suggest he is a long term LB for us. I want an LB with attacking flair.

Del Boy
11-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Wouldn't necessarily need to spend a lot to get better LB than McGivern if our scouting is right. Dundee Utd picked up Andy Robertson for free in the summer from Queens Park. He's now a transfer target for Everton, Swansea and QPR.

patch1875
11-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Heard we are after a right back from Derby.

B.H.F.C
11-01-2014, 02:02 PM
McGivern has been poor but I still think our priorities need to be attacking/creative players at the moment.

Heisenberg
11-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Mcgivern has been poor since the end of last season I think. Always late to react to the second ball and gives away fouls, dosent mark his man properly at corner kicks and is often beaten easily in 1v1 situations. His crossing is also hilariously bad.

heretoday
11-01-2014, 02:10 PM
McGivern is the weakest link but I don't see Stevenson as filling his role. Stevenson has not been good at left back and is now flourishing in a more forward position.

McGivern did at least get a couple of crosses over. I didn't see any coming from the right. We need 2 strong wing-backs. Most good teams have them nowadays. I realise they don't grow on trees.

Broken Gnome
11-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Aaron Taylor sinclair from Partick thistle

Signed for Celtic.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Other areas of the team need looked at first. We could have played in front of an iron curtain last night but still only got a draw.

Hibs Class
11-01-2014, 07:37 PM
McGivern is the weakest link but I don't see Stevenson as filling his role. Stevenson has not been good at left back and is now flourishing in a more forward position.

McGivern did at least get a couple of crosses over. I didn't see any coming from the right. We need 2 strong wing-backs. Most good teams have them nowadays. I realise they don't grow on trees.

Think Forster got one or two crosses in. McGivern's crossing wasn't as bad last night as it has been, but in terms of attacking I've been more impressed with Forster in last few games.

Bronson
11-01-2014, 07:41 PM
I don't think it is our main priority, but for me it is something that needs addressed this window.

andy1875
11-01-2014, 07:45 PM
McGivern is a frustrating player as I really think the lad has potential.

His distribution is poor imo and he seems to me like a better CH than LB.

Worth keeping but needs to up his game.

WindyMiller
11-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Mcgivern has been poor since the end of last season I think. Always late to react to the second ball and gives away fouls, dosent mark his man properly at corner kicks and is often beaten easily in 1v1 situations. His crossing is also hilariously bad.

:agree:

Someone lumped the ball into his area and he had to decide whether to move forward and take it on the chest or move back and trap it.

He performed a diving header which ricocheted of Lewis and put our defence under pressure.

sixtwo
11-01-2014, 08:31 PM
McGivern is nowhere near as bad as some make out. He is decent in the air, gets forward, tackles well and gives 100%. I accept his form has dipped but form is temporary and class is permanent! The boy will come good.

craigmounthibby
11-01-2014, 08:36 PM
McGivern has been fine in the last couple of games. Lewis can slot in there too. Backup or replacement for Nelson and a new striker and creative player are far bigger priorities for me.
Spot on, with one addition. Pace in attack - desperately needed. Harris will hopefully be the answer to that.

MWHIBBIES
11-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Never been a fan of his and I've not seen anything during his time at the club to suggest he is a long term LB for us. I want an LB with attacking flair.:faf: I'd prefer one who can defend well and gets forward when he can. Attacking flair is quite far down in the attributes needed to be a full back.

If McGivern was our only problem we would be much higher up the league, he will do at least until the end of the season.

Ryan69
11-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Filip Luiz?.Gotta have the potential tobe Hibs class!
Was good against Barca tonight too..;)

Hibeesforever
11-01-2014, 09:00 PM

Ryan McGivern cannot cross a ball, so limited in an attacking sense. He is weak in the tackle out wide but I feel that he was a decent Centre half, so keep him as cover and get a class defender.

TheBruce
11-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Why don't we just bring Callum Booth back ???

edwards
11-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Beg to differ Think the whole defence has shown improvement under Butcher, Cairney has more success getting past full backs outside Celtic Motherwell and Aberdeen [ here we go ] Stevenson struggles also and McGivern can certainly put in a better quality ball than Stevenson.
I think there will a few more players outside the ones mentioned who will be leaving ER in the summer.

Uphall Hibby
11-01-2014, 11:05 PM
Also Calum Booth is coming back in the summer. Like previous posters forward players are the priority. Collins works hard but we need someone who will give us a better return. Need a winger and a playmaker too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
11-01-2014, 11:17 PM

Good question. He went from being an outstanding prospect to a liability in the space of a few short months. It may have been a confidence issue but it was disappointing to see the guy's career take a backward step.

jacomo
11-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Never been a fan of his and I've not seen anything during his time at the club to suggest he is a long term LB for us. I want an LB with attacking flair.

As a few above have said, McGivern could be the man. He's got ability, he just needs to show it more. He could be a really good LB if he wants it.

...WentToMowAnSPL
11-01-2014, 11:26 PM
As a few above have said, McGivern could be the man. He's got ability, he just needs to show it more. He could be a really good LB if he wants it.

I think he's asked to do a huge amount offensively - he often goes past Lewis then turns it back to him ... If we had the number of yards travelled by a played I think he would be up there ... I think he gets knackered in last 10 mins as does Jordan Foster .. Would like us to be able to build play through the centre too

Itsnoteasy
11-01-2014, 11:36 PM

That sweet left fit cannae cross a baw

heretoday
11-01-2014, 11:48 PM
The attack is the priority as a glance at the Goals For column readily shows. I can't see Heff or Collins bagging many. They are too slow.

Bronson
12-01-2014, 12:28 AM
The attack is the priority as a glance at the Goals For column readily shows. I can't see Heff or Collins bagging many. They are too slow.

Disagree, the heff is a predator and will get plenty of goals with good service. Collins still has much to prove, not as much of a goal threat but has improved in recent weeks. I think we need another striker, a nippy one that plays off the shoulder to give us another dimension but the heff certainly has goals in him.

stewpot
12-01-2014, 01:02 AM

spot on mate. He has been off the boil lately, but am sure he was at man city for a reason.

I think Nelson is murder, so would look for a replacement for him before Mcgivern.

But we need a goal scorer before anything else. We are not losing too many goals but the goals for is shocking...... Striker urgently required and it doesn't take a genius to work it out

ManBearPig
12-01-2014, 01:31 AM
I like mcgivern he is given waaayy too hard a time of late. To describe him as weakest link is ridiculous.

Bronson
12-01-2014, 01:33 AM
spot on mate. He has been off the boil lately, but am sure he was at man city for a reason.

I think Nelson is murder, so would look for a replacement for him before Mcgivern.

But we need a goal scorer before anything else. We are not losing too many goals but the goals for is shocking...... Striker urgently required and it doesn't take a genius to work it out

Danny Galbraith was once at man utd... Nevertheless, i think there is a player in there with McGivern, i just feel we've been waiting awful long to see it regularly. Disagree about Nelson, his distribution is undeniably horrific but he is no nonsense and it is no coincidence that Hanlon's form has been superb next to him.

ManBearPig
12-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Nelson is a great old fashioned no nonsense centre half something weve missed for while. Just look how weak we looked at the back when he was out injured

Davy Mac
12-01-2014, 03:12 AM
I'm sorry, I hope some of the posters who are critical of McGivern have been attending the matches recently, and if they have they would have seen a tremendous upturn in form of our back four and McGivern and Nelson have been part of that.

I've said repeatedly in my players ratings that I think McGivern lacks concentration at times and needs to whip balls in a lot quicker rather than floaty type crosses but we are lucky to have him IMO.

For me, we are desperate for a wee bit of magic from the likes of a Latapy type player and probably a Kenny Miller type marquee signing to bolster the Collins/Heff/Cummings front line squad.

Tyler Durden
12-01-2014, 12:08 PM

You couldn't have been watching very closely as Forster put in the best cross of the match (from a Hibs perspective) and his attacking play has been excellent in recent games.

.Sean.
12-01-2014, 01:12 PM
He'll be back next season. Butcher rates him and went to see him play the other week.

scoopyboy
12-01-2014, 01:24 PM
He'll be back next season. Butcher rates him and went to see him play the other week.

Glad to hear it mate.

Going off the thread a tad, has he said whether he can play against us in the cup?

Last time we spoke you reckoned he could as he had told you that, I've heard this week that he cannot.

Keith_M
12-01-2014, 02:19 PM
The priority is surely a striker that can put the ball in the net on a regular basis. Everything else is secondary.

As others have already mentioned, our goals against column is actually pretty good, it's the goals for that's killing us.

hfc rd
12-01-2014, 02:54 PM
It's in the final 3rd that we are lacking in. Friday's performance showed the evidence. Creativity and someone that can put the ball into the back of the net.

bingo70
12-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Not Mcgiverns biggest fan but he's fine for now, nowhere near as bad as has been made out recently.

FWIW I think hanlon could get a decent move in the not too distant future, when/if that happens I think Mcgivern will be the ideal replacement for him.

.Sean.
12-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Glad to hear it mate.

Going off the thread a tad, has he said whether he can play against us in the cup?

Last time we spoke you reckoned he could as he had told you that, I've heard this week that he cannot.
J I'd heard that he could, though that wasn't directly from him.

Fergus52
12-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Beg to differ Think the whole defence has shown improvement under Butcher, Cairney has more success getting past full backs outside Celtic Motherwell and Aberdeen [ here we go ] Stevenson struggles also and McGivern can certainly put in a better quality ball than Stevenson.
I think there will a few more players outside the ones mentioned who will be leaving ER in the summer.

Not True.

I can't think of one good cross from McGivern this season, he nearly always puts it out for a goal kick or over hits it.

Since Butcher came in Stevenson's crossing has been excellent.

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2014, 06:09 PM
He'll be back next season. Butcher rates him and went to see him play the other week.Hope it wasn't at the Livi vs Raith game, Booth was absolutely awful. If he is playing like that I hope he plays the cup game.

Jonnyboy
12-01-2014, 07:46 PM

That's the spirit. Keep going with your digs at Lewis. One day you might have reason to complain

JimBHibees
12-01-2014, 07:59 PM
I like mcgivern he is given waaayy too hard a time of late. To describe him as weakest link is ridiculous.

Completely agree not the greatest defender but a good footballer and decent going forward. Actually think he has been carrying an injury from last season.

Greenworld
12-01-2014, 08:13 PM
You couldn't have been watching very closely as Forster put in the best cross of the match (from a Hibs perspective) and his attacking play has been excellent in recent games.

Utter rubbish foster is playing out of his skin an tb and mm
seem to have struck gold playing him at right back

Greenworld
12-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Utter rubbish foster is playing out of his skin an tb and mm
seem to have struck gold playing him at right back

Not you tyler sorry

Loopz
14-01-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm sorry, I hope some of the posters who are critical of McGivern have been attending the matches recently, and if they have they would have seen a tremendous upturn in form of our back four and McGivern and Nelson have been part of that.

I've said repeatedly in my players ratings that I think McGivern lacks concentration at times and needs to whip balls in a lot quicker rather than floaty type crosses but we are lucky to have him IMO.

For me, we are desperate for a wee bit of magic from the likes of a Latapy type player and probably a Kenny Miller type marquee signing to bolster the Collins/Heff/Cummings front line squad.
Lacks concentration is a very good description of Ryan McGivern, but I still believe he is one of the most technically proficient players at ER and will be a star for us.

Brightside
14-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Lacks concentration is a very good description of Ryan McGivern, but I still believe he is one of the most technically proficient players at ER and will be a star for us.

Can't head the ball, distribution poor, crossing poor, marking as set peices poor, caught out of position countless times. I sit in line with the defence for 45 mins of every home game. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the weakest link in a reasonably strong defence. The Man City chat is pointless. I'd really like to see a strong, pacey left back with a decent cross.

ahibby
14-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Can't head the ball, distribution poor, crossing poor, marking as set peices poor, caught out of position countless times. I sit in line with the defence for 45 mins of every home game. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the weakest link in a reasonably strong defence. The Man City chat is pointless. I'd really like to see a strong, pacey left back with a decent cross.

IMO no one did themselves any favours on Friday, and McGivern stood out as having a pretty bad game. In one episode he made a pass back to an Aberdeen player and put us under pressure. However as I said no one did well on Friday and I could just as easily give examples of poor play by all of them at some points in the game. One post on this thread that scared the s*** out of me was the one about PH perhaps getting a big move in the not to distant. It wouldn't surprise me as IMO he has come on leaps and bounds and I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Scotland pool, so no surprise to me if bigger clubs were interested. I think we need to cover the right back slot but then again Forster needs game time and Nelson and Hanlon are the better options for central defence, IMO. It must be a wee bit tricky for TB knowing that he really needs to play Forster as much as he can on one hand but knowing that he could probably get a natural RB to do a better job in there. I guess it's not to important considering the league position. I mean is it all that bad if we finish seventh, meaning we would have another game against Hearts, in the state they are in, or finish in the top six and play Celtic again in a meaningless game. I think I'd prefer playing against Hearts but the younger players would probably benefit more from playing in the top six.

DTS
15-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Mcgiverns distribution is horrible the amount of times he puts crosses straight out the park is embarrassing he also gets caught out at least once every game in my opinion, however a new left back is not the main priority this window although come summer we should be either bringing in another lb or seeing what Callum booth will offer so there is at least competition for the role as his performances may have dropped due to a lack of threat to his position in the starting eleven

EskbankHibee
15-01-2014, 01:36 AM
McGivern has always looked unsure for me at left back. I agree with others on here though that he is a competent centre half who has potential in that role. Nelson hasn't got many years left in him and I think McGivern is the future for us there.

Also Graham Shinnie is the second best left back in the league an would be a major signing

AngusHibby
15-01-2014, 01:48 AM
Don't know where this myth about Ryan Mcgivern being good forward has come from. He'll do for the rest of the season at left back, but come summer Butcher will definitely be looking for a new left back

BS44
18-01-2014, 03:57 PM
No coincidence that Mcgivern goes off and we then lose two goals from that side of the pitch

hibbysam
18-01-2014, 04:04 PM
No coincidence that Mcgivern goes off and we then lose two goals from that side of the pitch

Don't let that get in the way of a good bashing thread on .net

Heisenberg
18-01-2014, 05:35 PM

Those two goals were both down to Harris not tracking his man. Mcgivern being there wouldn't have made a difference. The whole defence was rotten throughout though.