PDA

View Full Version : Let's Work Together Hibs financial Health next season

NAE NOOKIE
11-01-2014, 11:08 AM
It is a fact that next season Hibs will take a financial hit from the absence of the Yams and SEVCO from the Premiership. We have no chance of a 20K crowd in any game next season and we are unlikely to make Europe ... so what we will miss out on compared to this season is approximately as follows:

16,000 ..... Against Malmo

12,000 ..... Thats combined Yams away fans and irregular Hibbies for derby matches.

At a conservative estimate thats 28,000 fans at about £15 per fan ...... = £420,000

If Hibs are to avoid being affected by such a loss its up to the clubs own fans to ensure that we step up to the plate more than ever. In view of that we should be starting now to persuade as many fans as possible to buy season tickets if they can ..... I for one here and now pledge to get a season ticket for a kid under the initiative to get underprivileged kids to Hibs games.

Our average home crowd in the league this season so far is about 11,000 .... it would be great if we could match or better that. In fact its probably vital that we do.

Smartie
11-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Yep, good point and we all need to do our best to make this happen.

Keeping up the good form we've shown over the past few weeks is the most important thing that will bring fans along though

It would be good if we got our annual Scottish Cup Final again as well - the televised games, the home draws then the Cup Final will have flattered our finances last season too. We can't guarantee that this will happen again.

Hopefully our wage bill will look to be better spent over the next few years, with less short-term and panic buys to plug gaps.

GlenrothesHibee
11-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Cup runs are vital. We are reaping the benifit of having our stadium completed now with league cup semi's and Ramsdens cup final at Easter Road. Dont know what kind of income we get from this but must be a fair amount. I will definitely be at ER more next season and i think a few lapsed fans will return also

joe breezy
11-01-2014, 11:26 AM
If we win the Scottish Cup we'll get into Europe so we have no worries for next season, as long as we get into the group stages

judas
11-01-2014, 11:27 AM
It is a fact that next season Hibs will take a financial hit from the absence of the Yams and SEVCO from the Premiership. We have no chance of a 20K crowd in any game next season and we are unlikely to make Europe ... so what we will miss out on compared to this season is approximately as follows:

16,000 ..... Against Malmo

12,000 ..... Thats combined Yams away fans and irregular Hibbies for derby matches.

At a conservative estimate thats 28,000 fans at about £15 per fan ...... = £420,000

If Hibs are to avoid being affected by such a loss its up to the clubs own fans to ensure that we step up to the plate more than ever. In view of that we should be starting now to persuade as many fans as possible to buy season tickets if they can ..... I for one here and now pledge to get a season ticket for a kid under the initiative to get underprivileged kids to Hibs games.

Our average home crowd in the league this season so far is about 11,000 .... it would be great if we could match or better that. In fact its probably vital that we do.

It is a very good point and one that I fully understand.

The trouble, in my view, is that professional football spectating is an overpriced pursuit.

You talk about Hibs struggling financially, but what about me? I run at a loss every single year in my other pursuit, which is trying to raise a family. (I know you understand this point)

Northernhibee
11-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Double the cost of a season ticket and send out a leaflet saying anyone who doesn't renew will get a personal visit from the 'tache for a private striptease.

Next problem please!

Judas Iscariot
11-01-2014, 11:38 AM
If the team perform on the pitch & win games, the crowds will come back

stubru59
11-01-2014, 11:40 AM
It is a very good point and one that I fully understand.

The trouble, in my view, is that professional football spectating is an overpriced pursuit.

You talk about Hibs struggling financially, but what about me? I run at a loss every single year in my other pursuit, which is trying to raise a family. (I know you understand this point)

You're right, tho cost of attending games in the current economic climateis is getting more and more difficult. As a little aside, perhaps the Germans have the right idea.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/09/bayern-munich-subsidise-arsenal-ticket-cost (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/09/bayern-munich-subsidise-arsenal-ticket-cost)

offshorehibby
11-01-2014, 11:48 AM

That's my slant on it. A winning Hibs team playing better football should see the average crowd rise this should offset the loss of the yams. That coupled with a decent cup run.

Greenworld
11-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Cup runs are vital. We are reaping the benifit of having our stadium completed now with league cup semi's and Ramsdens cup final at Easter Road. Dont know what kind of income we get from this but must be a fair amount. I will definitely be at ER more next season and i think a few lapsed fans will return also

I agree with that what about a couple of good friendlies
other teams do that to raise funds during the season..
or a couple of matches we make special days and fill the stadium
that would get the exta revenue.

NAE NOOKIE
11-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Judas ..... Get yer point mate as you said I would ... I would never encourage anybody to put a football club before their family. There were many years where my own attendance at matches was very limited for that reason, be assured my post is aimed at folk who can afford STs but might be undecided. Anyway, its always been my opinion that if a fan can afford one game a season and they go to that game they have done their bit. Go to two and they have done more than their bit.

Its kind of obvious that if we make another cup final which gets us into Europe or start winning games and playing better football that more folk will go to games and the club will make more money .... but these things, like getting money spinning cup draws, are what a club hopes for, you cant expect them to happen. My post was based on the reasonable expectation that they wont ... to make 3 cup finals in a row would be a bloody miracle.

The extra folk who swelled the crowds for the Malmo game and the New Year derby are if nothing else folk who support Hibs and who are willing to go to matches .... Thats about 4,000 folk ... If a quarter of them bought season tickets or increased their walk up rate it would be a good thing for the club in what could be trying times.

Keith_M
11-01-2014, 04:41 PM
If the feelgood factor under Butcher continues through the rest of the season, I'm convinced that the ST sales will increase.

judas
11-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Judas ..... Get yer point mate as you said I would ... I would never encourage anybody to put a football club before their family. There were many years where my own attendance at matches was very limited for that reason, be assured my post is aimed at folk who can afford STs but might be undecided. Anyway, its always been my opinion that if a fan can afford one game a season and they go to that game they have done their bit. Go to two and they have done more than their bit.

Its kind of obvious that if we make another cup final which gets us into Europe or start winning games and playing better football that more folk will go to games and the club will make more money .... but these things, like getting money spinning cup draws, are what a club hopes for, you cant expect them to happen. My post was based on the reasonable expectation that they wont ... to make 3 cup finals in a row would be a bloody miracle.

The extra folk who swelled the crowds for the Malmo game and the New Year derby are if nothing else folk who support Hibs and who are willing to go to matches .... Thats about 4,000 folk ... If a quarter of them bought season tickets or increased their walk up rate it would be a good thing for the club in what could be trying times.

Understood Bovril :flag:

GreenCastle
11-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Agreed about how TB continues to shape the club will see an increase in ST sales.

A good Scottish Cup run would obviously help but 1902 and all that :faf:

I would hope Hibs marketing go for a slogan about Edinburgh's only top flight football club :agree:

Bobo
11-01-2014, 05:33 PM
In reality Hibs should be looking to minimise any shortfall in income next season by ensuring we finish at least in 2nd place and the difference in prize monies from our usual 6th or less finishes to a 2nd place would be considerable.

If turd like Motherwell and Aberdeen can push for/finish 2nd then there's no reason why we can't. We've underachieved for far too long, it's time to put things right and Terry might just be the man to make things happen?

:flag::flag::flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-01-2014, 05:45 PM
I would hope Hibs marketing go for a slogan about Edinburgh's only top flight football club :agree:

What and risk upsetting the Jambos? winnae happen.

gringojoe
11-01-2014, 05:50 PM
What and risk upsetting the Jambos? winnae happen.

I remember back in late 70's early 80's having the Gilzean badge Hibs Edinburghs Premier Team. Also had Benny Brazil eats soft centres:doh:

Brooster
11-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Here's an idea...........why don't the numerous day trippers on here actually go along to a few games! That would boost the coffers.

jdships
11-01-2014, 06:19 PM

:thumbsup:
It's all about "bums on seats" - always has been and always will be .
More pepole attending attracts sponsors who then pay more money .
Big problem is how to achieve this !!!!:rolleyes:

Ozyhibby
11-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Our finances next year will be miles behind Celtic, on a par with Aberdeen's and well ahead of everyone else in the league.
So about the same as this year.
Our finances are not a problem. Our under achievement based on those finances are.

SunshineOnLeith
11-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Our finances next year will be miles behind Celtic, on a par with Aberdeen's and well ahead of everyone else in the league.
So about the same as this year.
Our finances are not a problem. Our under achievement based on those finances are.

Yup, absolutely agree.

Hibs are a football club. Events across the city have caused some on here to start viewing financial stability as an achievement on a par with winning trophies. We're well run and will, over any 5-10 year period, roughly break even. Whether or not we have a 'good' or 'bad' year within that doesn't overly matter, as the standard deviation of our financial results is so low.

RIP
11-01-2014, 09:33 PM
There are a whole raft of ideas still to be fully explored in the second half of the season. Board, management, supporters association, community foundation and other Hibs organisations are more united than in recent years. The Hibernian family is starting to bond and a number of improvements are happening off the pitch. Next season we will have to heavily promote the East Coast derbies - Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Dundee United and possibly Dundee and really welcome their fans to Easter Road.

Much as Terry has steadied the ship but winning ugly will not put bums on seats. We need entertaining players who will play at speed and go past the opposition. More goals, particularly at Easter Road. A closer bond between supporters and players, zero tolerance of player abuse and more proactive stewarding can help create the much-vaunted fortress Easter Road.

I'm optimistic and looking forward to a much reduced Yam presence on the main board in 2014

Glory Glory

Slicer
12-01-2014, 10:40 PM
There are a whole raft of ideas still to be fully explored in the second half of the season. Board, management, supporters association, community foundation and other Hibs organisations are more united than in recent years. The Hibernian family is starting to bond and a number of improvements are happening off the pitch. Next season we will have to heavily promote the East Coast derbies - Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Dundee United and possibly Dundee and really welcome their fans to Easter Road.

Glory Glory

There a few opportunities to attract more 'customers' to Easter Road during the Festival, Freshers Week, advertising in Polish, a cheap first home game of the season when everyone is missing football etc.

As for away fans Edinburgh really has everything as a city, I've often wondered, money permitting, why a crowd of guys don't come down and spend the night? How about a package deal with a local hotel chain with some sort of kickback for Hibs?

PeeJay
13-01-2014, 07:02 AM

Instead of fans helping to make up for your projected loss, how about the club stepping up its act and actually winning something for a change or - at the very least - getting into 2nd place or - failing that - getting a European spot - as you say Sevco and YAMS are no longer there - so what's the problem?

There's money to be made in the game - ON THE PARK ... a club winning things and challenging for cups/leagues/in Europe will bring the fans back and by doing so boost revenue, surely?

Keith_M
13-01-2014, 07:20 AM
......, I've often wondered, money permitting, why a crowd of guys don't come down and spend the night? How about a package deal with a local hotel chain with some sort of kickback for Hibs?

Given the make up and behaviour of some fans when they get together as a group and go for a bevvy weekend, that might be a bit of a risk for the club to associate itself with.

I'd imagine that, as in the support in general, most would be reasonably well behaved but the ones that don't would be really bad PR for Hibs.

Keith_M
13-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Instead of fans helping to make up for your projected loss, how about the club stepping up its act and actually winning something for a change or - at the very least - getting into 2nd place or - failing that - getting a European spot - as you say Sevco and YAMS are no longer there - so what's the problem?

There's money to be made in the game - ON THE PARK ... a club winning things and challenging for cups/leagues/in Europe will bring the fans back and by doing so boost revenue, surely?

:agree:

If we continue improving, maybe even finish in the top four, and make some decent signings in the summer, you'll see enough missing fans returning to make up the shortfall in away fans.

Actually, if we can live up to our usual high standards and be SC runners up again against Celtc, we also qualify for Europe. As long as we don't get drawn against Malmö, it should be OK

:wink:

NAE NOOKIE
13-01-2014, 07:00 PM

As well as :rolleyes:

HFC 0-7
13-01-2014, 07:26 PM

Much as Terry has steadied the ship but winning ugly will not put bums on seats. We need entertaining players who will play at speed and go past the opposition. More goals, particularly at Easter Road. A closer bond between supporters and players, zero tolerance of player abuse and more proactive stewarding can help create the much-vaunted fortress Easter Road.

I'm optimistic and looking forward to a much reduced Yam presence on the main board in 2014

Glory Glory

I disagree, hibs fans have been used to going to games in the hope we dont get beat. I think recently we have been much more positive when attending games, there is definately less plums shouting stupid things at players. People go to games now believing we can win, its much much more enjoyable being at games now.