PDA

View Full Version : Question Hibby spotting

NAE NOOKIE
09-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I recently bought myself a new scarf in the traditional bar scarf simple Green & White style. Living in the Borders I just know that if I was to wear it anywhere outside of Edinburgh folk will automatically think its a Celtic scarf.

I have noticed over the years that some Hibs scarves have been produced ( though not by the club ) with Black and Purple in them. I really like the Green & Purple one.

Anyway .... It gets on my Ertha Kitts this presumption by the public at large that if your scarf is Green & White you must be a Celtic supporter.

In view of this and short of being able to make every Celtic supporter wear a Green, White & Yellow scarf I wondered what other Hibbies out there would think if Hibs were to introduce a tiny bit of Black or Purple into the home strip which could then be incorporated into scarves and stuff to set us apart from the lesser greens ...... by that I mean something like making the castle in the badge Black or Purple.

Dont get me wrong I am well aware that we were first to wear the Green ...... but that doesnt help me when the uneducated look at my scarf and think I'm a bloody Celtic fan.

Just asking ........... though I can probably guess the answer :greengrin

nribs
09-01-2014, 07:26 PM
I recently bought myself a new scarf in the traditional bar scarf simple Green & White style. Living in the Borders I just know that if I was to wear it anywhere outside of Edinburgh folk will automatically think its a Celtic scarf.

I have noticed over the years that some Hibs scarves have been produced ( though not by the club ) with Black and Purple in them. I really like the Green & Purple one.

Anyway .... It gets on my Ertha Kitts this presumption by the public at large that if your scarf is Green & White you must be a Celtic supporter.

In view of this and short of being able to make every Celtic supporter wear a Green, White & Yellow scarf I wondered what other Hibbies out there would think if Hibs were to introduce a tiny bit of Black or Purple into the home strip which could then be incorporated into scarves and stuff to set us apart from the lesser greens ...... by that I mean something like making the castle in the badge Black or Purple.

Dont get me wrong I am well aware that we were first to wear the Green ...... but that doesnt help me when the uneducated look at my scarf and think I'm a bloody Celtic fan.

Just asking ........... though I can probably guess the answer :greengrin
Not for me sorry

Carheenlea
09-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Growing up almost every Celtic scarf was of the green, white and yellow variety. Now they seem to favour the simple green and white like we do. No idea why that has happened.
Providing you have a set of teeth, above average personal hygiene and avoid wearing tracksuit trousers there should be no need to worry about anyone mistaking your team of choice.

PatHead
09-01-2014, 07:37 PM
If we go back to the bottle green perhaps you will get one in these colours though you may look like a Hawick fan, Dunno what would be worse.

Billy Whizz
09-01-2014, 07:41 PM
If we go back to the bottle green perhaps you will get one in these colours though you may look like a Hawick fan, Dunno what would be worse.

I hated last season's bottle green strip

VivaHiberņa
10-01-2014, 12:12 AM

Sorry, but I think you're in the minority. Plus, there are precedents for it (which won me over as it meant it wasn't just shamelessly changing the colour just to get wur money):

http://www.toffs.com/content/images/thumbs/0009948_hibs-1902-1903-scottish-cup-winners-league-champions-shirt.jpeg and http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/javaImages/78/31/0,,10290~6893944,00.jpg

Tidy. :cb

Pete
10-01-2014, 04:23 AM

Didn't like it either as it clashed with too many other colours. The shading was far too similar and I didn't know what was going on when we were playing Dundee or Ross county.

When I was growing up a green and white scarf was hibs and a Celtic one had yellow, as someone else has already mentioned. Nowadays it's certainly the case that a green and white one outside Edinburgh is almost automatically Celtic.

Celtic have been moving away from the yellow in their merchandise recently and only sell green and white scarves now. There are green and white Celtic bar scarves for sale in Edinburgh supermarkets now so the days of the old style recognition are long gone and probably never to be recovered.

Green, white and black is distinctively ours though and shouldn't be contaminated with any purple nonsense. We should still have predominantly green and white scarves as that's our signature in our own town and we shouldn't let anyone else dictate that to us.
Green and white for the toonies and a hint of black for the exiles!:thumbsup: