PDA

View Full Version : Dean Shiels

db03
09-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Sky Sports transfer centre saying we are lining up a bid for Dean. I think that would be a good signing, someone to create for us and a good finisher!

leggeto
09-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Is he no a fairly similar player to Liam unless he wants to play him wide

db03
09-01-2014, 01:48 PM

personally think he is more creative than Liam but cant argue with the goals from Liam so far, maybe looking to put Dean out wide :dunno:

Inch Hibs
09-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Would be a fantastic player to have in the side. Would have him in in place of Robbo.

hibby rae
09-01-2014, 01:52 PM
While Shiels is undeniably talented and he had a lot of good games for us, I think he was also very inconsistent a lot of the time.

leggeto
09-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Allways liked dean played for the badge every time,would welcome him back

hfc rd
09-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Wouldn't mind Deano at all.

Him and a Right winger plus Harris returning will be good. Maybe a RB too as cover for Forster?

Inch Hibs
09-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Him and a Right winger plus Harris returning will be good. Maybe a RB too as cover for Forster?

We need a right back as cover and also if Hanlon/Nelson get crocked allowing Jordon to go back to CH.

scott7_0(Prague)
09-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Incidentally i read his Agent is none other than Young Sam Morrow, did we not sign both of them around the same time?

Spike Mandela
09-01-2014, 02:01 PM
He's not getting a game for a league 1 side.:cb

skipster7
:agree:Always liked him, could play either side or in behind main striker. Real goal threat imo. Anyone know how how much hes on at the rangers ?

Billychaotic182
Would be a fantastic player to have in the side. Would have him in in place of Robbo.

Madness Robertson has been fantastic for us

JimBHibees
09-01-2014, 02:02 PM

He doesnt have anywhere near the workrate of Robertson and can only think he could play as a wide midfielder or an off the front forward. Very talented player however a little surprised as wouldnt have thought he fitted TB's type.

hfc rd
09-01-2014, 02:02 PM

I think Robbo has been terrific this season. Last season he was poor but this season he has been very good and looks a lot like the player that was at Dundee United a couple of seasons ago. Someone that gets stuck in and drves with the ball.

marinello59
09-01-2014, 02:03 PM
While Shiels is undeniably talented and he had a lot of good games for us, I think he was also very inconsistent a lot of the time.

But consistent for the rest of the time?:greengrin
I'll agree with you, the Dean Shiels that left us wasn't consistent enough to warrant making a move for. He arrived at Killie a much more intelligent footballer though and I was pretty impressed with him. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in a Hibs shirt.

Stonewall
09-01-2014, 02:04 PM
So we're looking to sign someone who's surplus to requirements at a 3rd tier club and was at best inconsistent during his previous spell at Hibs. Nothing he's done since he left us has made me think he's improved sufficiently to justify being re-signed.

No thank you.

Stevie Reid
09-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Would be delighted to see Dean return. The kind of player we have been missing for a long time.

The Sea-gull
09-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Was waiting on a thread like this coming when I heard he could be heading for the exits at Ibrox.

Would love to see a player like Deano at Hibs. Whether Deano is still a player like Deano I don't know as haven't seen or heard much on him for a while and hae has been playing at a lower level for a while now. If he is still as good as he was at Killie then would be happy with him.

Was told he was all set to sign for us in summer 2012 but he wanted to wait to see if Rangers interest was followed up before he committed to us. Rangers did follow it up and he went there but if it wasnt for their interest he would have come to us as I'm told he still has a great affection for us. Don't blame him for choosing Rangers - he is a Rangers fan, as are all his family and the deal on offer was, at his age, too good to turn down.

I know Dean was a bit hot and cold when he was with us but even if that was still to be the case, I think someone who can play effectively just off the front, in central midfield or out wide in a front three or midfield four and brings goals, assists and creativity, is always good to have in the squad.

Big Sexy Dave
09-01-2014, 02:12 PM

Are you a Hibs fan? he could pay behind the Heff or Collins.

SanFranHibs
09-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Had his time here and though he was pretty good, in my opinion, he seemed much better as a sub coming on and causing problems for a tired defence.

Maybe I am just being too optimistic and appreciaiting it depends on who is available and within our budget, but I have been kind of hoping the new management team/scouts would be finding someone 'new' or at least new to our club and league. Not scouring the country to come up with someone we let go becasue he was felt to be inconsistent.

Cropley10
09-01-2014, 02:14 PM
If Terry and Maurice want him here, than that is good enough for me.

He doesn't fit in with The Rangers hoofball under Fat Salary.

Big Sexy Dave
09-01-2014, 02:14 PM
:agree:Always liked him, could play either side or in behind main striker. Real goal threat imo. Anyone know how how much hes on at the rangers ?

Seven grand according to a Kilmarnock player.

SlickShoes
09-01-2014, 02:15 PM

Bizarre, Robertson has been great all season, he was the only one getting pass marks under fenlon and he has also been good since butcher came in.

The Sea-gull
09-01-2014, 02:16 PM
So we're looking to sign someone who's surplus to requirements at a 3rd tier club and was at best inconsistent during his previous spell at Hibs. Nothing he's done since he left us has made me think he's improved sufficiently to justify being re-signed.

No thank you.

He was inconsistent when he was with us but at Killie in season 11/12 he was outstanding week in week out and was a player of the year nominee. The big difference was that he got a game every week whereas at Hibs (sometimes through his own fault and sometimes not) he never got a regular run in the team the whole time he was there really. By regular, I mean a season where it was clear he had a specific position and that it was his to lose. He tended just to slotted in as and when required. As I said in another post, I don't think having a player like that is a bad thing. We don't really have one at the moment.

I think I would go on his Killie form rather than his Hibs form as it came more recently. I'm more worried that he may have gone back a wee bit since being at Rangers and playing down the leagues.

WestEndHibee
09-01-2014, 02:17 PM
If Terry and Maurice want him here, than that is good enough for me.

He doesn't fit in with The Rangers hoofball under Fat Salary.

:agree: If they see a spot in the team for him then that's bang tidy with me. In Terry, Mo, Steve and Rod we trust!

Green Reaper
09-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Had his time here and though he was pretty good, in my opinion, he seemed much better as a sub coming on and causing problems for a tired defence.

Maybe I am just being too optimistic and appreciaiting it depends on who is available and within our budget, but I have been kind of hoping the new management team/scouts would be finding someone 'new' or at least new to our club and league. Not scouring the country to come up with someone we let go becasue he was felt to be inconsistent.

Agree with this completely

greenpaper55
09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
I don't think you should ever bring players back, very hard to name who has been successful the second time around. For me he was a bit lightweight and i don't see how he would fit in with the work ethic that the management team demand.

Big Sexy Dave
09-01-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't think you should ever bring players back, very hard to name who has been successful the second time around. .

Steve Thompson
Gary O'Connor
Kris Boyd
Charlie Mulgrew
Kenny Miller

And that's Just in the SPFL.

Boyle89
09-01-2014, 02:32 PM

No thank you.
Nothing? Except playing exceptional football that helped killie win a cup?

cloudy
09-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Possible swap for KT?

easty
09-01-2014, 02:38 PM
:agree: If they see a spot in the team for him then that's bang tidy with me. In Terry, Mo, Steve and Rod we trust!

It pains me that real people who aren't playing a character on a ****ty TV show actually say things like this. :rolleyes:

Aldo
09-01-2014, 02:43 PM

Ha ha nice one.

No chance of that happening tbh. Shiels will be nowhere near match fit , having played 4 games this season and you want to replace Robbo with him.

As for his time at Killie.... That was quite a while ago and he has played very little football since leaving them.

Mikey09
09-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Already mentioned it on another thread but I would love to see PARTICK thistle right back Stephen o donnell sign for us.... As for Dean, take him in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

easty
09-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Why has Shiels not been getting a game for The Rangers?

Stevie Reid
09-01-2014, 02:49 PM

No thank you.

You seriously comparing Rangers' current playing squad to an average Scottish League One squad?! Kane Hemmings was released by Rangers recently and signed for Cowdenbeath, two divisions above them. Being surplus to requirements there isn't like being surplus to requirements at any of their League One peers.

Incidentally, in his only full season in the SPL since he left Hibs he was nominated for player of the year and won the League Cup with Killie. I can only gather that you didn't see much of him that season.

Piqué
09-01-2014, 02:52 PM
You wouldn't play Shiels at the centre of midfield so I don't know why there is talk of dropping Robertson for him. If we signed Shiels I would guess Butcher would revert to his 4-2-3-1 system that he used successfully at Caley, playing Shiels behind the front man.Would be surprised if it wasn't his long term plan to use that formation anyway.

Stevie Reid
09-01-2014, 03:05 PM
FWIW, Shiels scored 31 goals in 101 starts (44 sub appearances) in his time at ER - not at all bad for someone who rarely played up front.

I honestly find it astonishing how little affection some posters on this thread have for him - he was a truly gifted player who scored goals of supreme quality with either foot. It's been 5 years since he left and he should be at his peak at 28 - I'd be delighted to see him back.

Since he left us: -

10 goals in 49 starts for Doncaster
15 goals in 40 starts for Killie
11 goals in 27 starts for Rangers

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2014, 03:07 PM

WTF! Have you watched a Hibs game recently?

db03
09-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Why has Shiels not been getting a game for The Rangers?

maybe Rangers being skint trying to force players out the door?? possibly the same thing with Templeton. :dunno:

Shrekko
09-01-2014, 03:09 PM
FWIW, Shiels scored 31 goals in 101 starts (44 sub appearances) in his time at ER - not at all bad for someone who rarely played up front.

I honestly find it astonishing how little affection some posters on this thread have for him - he was a truly gifted player who scored goals of supreme quality with either foot. It's been 5 years since he left and he should be at his peak at 28 - I'd be delighted to see him back.

Since he left us: -

10 goals in 49 starts for Doncaster
15 goals in 40 starts for Killie
11 goals in 27 starts for Rangers

Fantastic record and I'm guessing his exclusion at Rangers may be to do with financial considerations?

He's a real goal threat and was consistently very good for Killie. The fact he's been here before is not a minus at at all in my opinion- he's got real feeling for the club.

Jim44
09-01-2014, 03:13 PM
According to the papers, he is Ranger's daft, keen to stay there and is forcing McCoist's hand by asking for a 'thrash it out meeting.'

clerriehibs
09-01-2014, 03:17 PM
I don't think you should ever bring players back, very hard to name who has been successful the second time around. For me he was a bit lightweight and i don't see how he would fit in with the work ethic that the management team demand.

A bit lightweight? He nailed spotty gordon, remember, left him lying battered and bruised on the pitch, almost snuffed it.

Stevie Reid
09-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Goal at 1:50 is my personal favourite, was right behind it in the East. For a guy whose compromised vision must severely impair his depth perception to do that with his weaker foot is really something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWU-86N94bc

Bishop Hibee
09-01-2014, 03:25 PM
I'd be delighted if Deano returned. His biggest problem at Hibs was he was trying to get into a midfield ahead of Broony, Thomson, Ivan and Boozy.

Andy74
09-01-2014, 03:26 PM
I'd rather be turning to Dean Shiels for a place up front or out wide before I would be looking to Handling, Caldwell or Vine!

We saw what happended last year when Wotherspoon and Cairney were off form or injured.

Lewis Stevenson has had a couple of decent games wide left but also some ppor ones.

We really should be beating the likes of Partick at home or St Johnstone with ten men so the current team can certainly be improved with a bit of creativity.

If we are getting the ball into good places and living off the second balls he's a good player to have around those areas.

hihohibby
09-01-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm on the fence with Dean Shiels. I recall being excited on occasion with his displays of commitment and skill and his goals, but too often he ran about excitedly to little effect, and he was surrounded by far more talented team mates, who made things happen for him. The current Hibs side would not make things happen in the same way, so his contribution would have to be increased. I like to think that his time with Kilmarnock improved his contribution, certainly sitting in the Sevco reserves will do nothing for his development. Like I say, I'm on the fence.

Stevie Reid
09-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Goal at 1:50 is my personal favourite, was right behind it in the East. For a guy whose compromised vision must severely impair his depth perception to do that with his weaker foot is really something.

Two other gorgeous finishes between 07:30 and 08:30 too, and a good few other great strikes. Can't believe anyone wouldn't want him back.

hibees 7062
09-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Madness Robertson has been fantastic for us

:agree:

ballengeich
09-01-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm sceptical about whether this is a goer financially. He seems to want to stay at Rangers and we can't offer him the same money as he's getting there. Rangers might want him off the wage bill, but they can't afford to pay anyone off.

As a player I'd welcome him back if he can recapture his earlier form for us or the form at Killie.

hibseleven
09-01-2014, 03:40 PM
in a fair amount of those goals he is coming in from the left hand side. Might leave McGivern exposed a bit in a 4-4-2 but I'd be quite happy with him in the team. Can never have too many good options.

E10 Rifle
09-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Steve Thompson
Gary O'Connor
Kris Boyd
Charlie Mulgrew
Kenny Miller

And that's Just in the SPFL.

Russell Anderson?

for as I would add Pat McGinlay (if Shiels did as well as he did second time around I would be very, very happy)

jacomo
09-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Jeez, can we go a week without another Riordan debate please?!

:wink:

WestEndHibee
09-01-2014, 03:55 PM
It pains me that real people who aren't playing a character on a ****ty TV show actually say things like this. :rolleyes:

Sorry my delicate flower :not worth.

I have to say though that the phrase was not used in all seriousness. Just as a youtz figure of speech.

MYB Rulez GGTTH.

The Sea-gull
09-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Some good goals in there. One thing that I noticed was how good his close control is (or was). He scored a lot of goals where he latched on to a through ball at pace and danced round the keeper. A few goals were good quick follow up reactions to rebounds too. A few delicate finishes like chips etc too and one or two from tight angles.

I liked the finish up at Tannadice where he lifts a rebound over the keeper from a tight angle.

Some amount of decent attacking and passing players we had then. Deeks, Gaz, Deano, Broony, KT, Mikey Stewart, Glass, Boozy, Ivan, Benji, Zemmama, Fletch, Killen. Probably missed some out too.

Also, look as the crowds (both in our home games and the away end at a lot of away games). We were getting a decent support during that wee 3/4 year spell between 2004 and 2008. We even did ok under Mixu crowds wise and Yogi to begin with. Following up the back end of Yogi's tenure with Calderwood and then Fenlon is really what has set us back. Hoping TB is about to bring a bit back though!

Stevie Reid
09-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Some good goals in there. One thing that I noticed was how good his close control is (or was). He scored a lot of goals where he latched on to a through ball at pace and danced round the keeper. A few goals were good quick follow up reactions to rebounds too. A few delicate finishes like chips etc too and one or two from tight angles.

I liked the finish up at Tannadice where he lifts a rebound over the keeper from a tight angle.

Some amount of decent attacking and passing players we had then. Deeks, Gaz, Deano, Broony, KT, Mikey Stewart, Glass, Boozy, Ivan, Benji, Zemmama, Fletch, Killen. Probably missed some out too.

Also, look as the crowds (both in our home games and the away end at a lot of away games). We were getting a decent support during that wee 3/4 year spell between 2004 and 2008. We even did ok under Mixu crowds wise and Yogi to begin with. Following up the back end of Yogi's tenure with Calderwood and then Fenlon is really what has set us back. Hoping TB is about to bring a bit back though!

:agree:

I think the derby proved how much of a desire there is out there to support Hibs, especially a team that generates a lot of excitement.

easty
09-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Sorry my delicate flower :not worth.

I have to say though that the phrase was not used in all seriousness. Just as a youtz figure of speech.

MYB Rulez GGTTH.

Apology accepted my sweet little honey pie. :)

Heisenberg
09-01-2014, 04:07 PM
If we went back to the 4-4-1-1 played when TB first arrived he would fit perfectly in behind Collins or Heffernan. Can't see him being signed to play out wide in a 4-4-2 though. I'd personally love to see him back.

WestEndHibee
09-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Apology accepted my sweet little honey pie. :)

:greengrin In all seriousness it was the first time I've used it. I don't know what came over me.

easty
09-01-2014, 04:11 PM
:greengrin In all seriousness it was the first time I've used it. I don't know what came over me.

Haha, I'm just a grumpy bugger with a particular dislike for that Leigh Francis clown, he's awful.

PeeJay
09-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Think the fact the clown went to play in a lower league with Rangers says a lot about his attitude - nothing like earning easy money playing a few leagues lower down to really sharpen your footballing skills ... not really what we need at ER IMO, it's a thanks but no thanks from me!

ekhibee
09-01-2014, 04:37 PM
maybe Rangers being skint trying to force players out the door?? possibly the same thing with Templeton. :dunno:
Crazy as it may sound, much as I liked Shiels, I would pick Templeton in front of him, but that's just my opinion. Templeton, when he's on his game, looks like a real talent. But like Shiels, he's very inconsistent. Good player on his day though. Wonder if he's up for grabs, or has he not been at Sevco that long?

Billy Whizz
09-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Crazy as it may sound, much as I liked Shiels, I would pick Templeton in front of him, but that's just my opinion. Templeton, when he's on his game, looks like a real talent. But like Shiels, he's very inconsistent. Good player on his day though. Wonder if he's up for grabs, or has he not been at Sevco that long?

Although he's a good player, Templeton seems to spend most of his time on the treatment table

VivaHiberña
09-01-2014, 04:42 PM
According to the papers, he is Ranger's daft, keen to stay there and is forcing McCoist's hand by asking for a 'thrash it out meeting.'

Which Glasgow-based papers is this according to? :wink:

The Sea-gull
09-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Think the fact the clown went to play in a lower league with Rangers says a lot about his attitude - nothing like earning easy money playing a few leagues lower down to really sharpen your footballing skills ... not really what we need at ER IMO, it's a thanks but no thanks from me!

I see where you are coming from but see it from his point of view. You are 27 years old. You have made an ok living from pro footbally but not a retirement amount. You have a few offers in front of you. A couple from England for 4 or 5k per week but you have already played there and maybe decided it is not for you. One from Killie where you have just had a good season but they can only pay you 1k per week. One from Hibs where you know the club but they are not as good as when you left and are going through a bit of a slump with players who are not as good as the ones you played with and they are offering 2k per week. Or one from Rangers, the team you, your mate and your family have always supported and you get the chance to play for them for 7k a week. Don't blame him for making that choice.

truehibernian
09-01-2014, 04:44 PM
I am meeting someone tomorrow who was coaching for the SFA with Kenny Shiels prior to his Morton appointment - I'll see what I can find out tomorrow. I'd love Dean at Hibs - exactly the midfield/attack minded link up player we need to link midfield and forward line, and he can thread a pass brilliantly. Still only 28, a player in his prime too.

Stonewall
09-01-2014, 04:46 PM
?! Kane Hemmings was released by Rangers recently and signed for Cowdenbeath, two divisions above them. Being surplus to requirements there isn't like being surplus to requirements at any of their League One peers.

Incidentally, in his only full season in the SPL since he left Hibs he was nominated for player of the year and won the League Cup with Killie. I can only gather that you didn't see much of him that season.

Yes I am seriously comparing Rangers' current playing squad to an average Scottish League One squad. That's why it seems strange that Rangers are apparently trying to unload him. Given the relative strengths of the squads he should be tearing that league up if he's as good as you say he is, and the one above for that matter.

I must admit that I didn't see much of Shields when he played for Killie. Only against us in fact, so I'll have to take your word for it. Saw him play down south a couple of times though, he was decent.

If he comes back we'll see who is right. No doubting his talent I just don't see him as anymore than a good impact sub, as he was in his first spell here.

The Sea-gull
09-01-2014, 04:47 PM

I agree. Shiels is the better all round player but what is his position? Never really showed it consistently anywhere though good player to have in a squad due to his creativity in a variety of attacking roles and ability to do something off the bench.

Templeton is a winger and that is it. Not the best player in the world but you know what he will do for you and you know he has a position he can play a run of games in consistently. That is what he has over Deano.

Big Sexy Dave
09-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Haha, I'm just a grumpy bugger with a particular dislike for that Leigh Francis clown, he's awful.

Nailed it, some of the sketches on BO Selecta were funny but it was the same joke every episode.

NAE NOOKIE
09-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Not sure about this one. Loved Deano in his first spell at Hibs but I'm never sure that a player coming back will work out the same as it did before.

Having said that I would take Kenny Miller in a heartbeat :greengrin

Hibercelona
09-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Not for me.

I like Shiels, but I fail to see what he would add to the midfield in our current set up. It's strikers we're needing at the moment and good quality defensive backup.

truehibernian
09-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Not for me.

I like Shiels, but I fail to see what he would add to the midfield in our current set up. It's strikers we're needing at the moment and good quality defensive backup.

I genuinely think we are okay for strikers mate - Heffernan is a classy wee player, Collins seems to be hitting form under Terry Butcher, Cummings albeit young knows where the net is and is very direct, Harris once he gets match fit will chip in with goals and assists - Handling for me is a striker and a very good one at that. I've always rated and had a soft spot for Danny Handling and I think he will come very very good with good coaching and played up top. He has a great attitude too.

What we need is that player who can find a pass, play off strikers and create, get on that ball and make things happen - when I watched Dean in his Killie career I was surprised how intelligent a player he had become. At Hibs it was always very unclear where he should play - at Kilmarnock he was allowed to be the playmaker and create, allowed freedom of movement across the attacking line. But he played with a greater degree of control and intelligence and he looked mature.

I'd like a very pacy winger as well, and a right back.

jax67
09-01-2014, 05:39 PM

Robertson last season maybe. After getting a good pre-season under his belt I think he's a really good player who knocks his pan in every game. His desire and anticipation are second to none.

neil7908
09-01-2014, 06:01 PM
I like Dean a lot as a player but the question is - is he really what we need right now? Who would he displace from the team? Because I'd imagine the wages he'd be looking for would mean he'd be signing as a 1st team regular and not a squad player.

Whilst I would be happy to see him back at ER I see him being a bit like KT at the moment - good player but not sure how he fits in. Butcher may of course see this differently and if so, fair enough I'll be delighted as we all know is a decent guy who has talent and will give 100% to the team.

Cropley10
09-01-2014, 06:01 PM
I genuinely think we are okay for strikers mate - Heffernan is a classy wee player, Collins seems to be hitting form under Terry Butcher, Cummings albeit young knows where the net is and is very direct, Harris once he gets match fit will chip in with goals and assists - Handling for me is a striker and a very good one at that. I've always rated and had a soft spot for Danny Handling and I think he will come very very good with good coaching and played up top. He has a great attitude too.

What we need is that player who can find a pass, play off strikers and create, get on that ball and make things happen - when I watched Dean in his Killie career I was surprised how intelligent a player he had become. At Hibs it was always very unclear where he should play - at Kilmarnock he was allowed to be the playmaker and create, allowed freedom of movement across the attacking line. But he played with a greater degree of control and intelligence and he looked mature.

I'd like a very pacy winger as well, and a right back.

Great post. Completely agree with every word.

FWIW Deano is CLASS. But if he's on £7k per week he won't be signing for us.

Cropley10
09-01-2014, 06:03 PM
I'd much rather we signed either players I've never heard of or go after completely unrealistic targets :agree::agree:

weonlywon6-2
09-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Great post. Completely agree with every word.

FWIW Deano is CLASS. But if he's on £7k per week he won't be signing for us.

He can totally forget about getting that sort of wage anywhere else.

Need to take what hes offered at his new club whether its us or someone else

Cropley10
09-01-2014, 08:09 PM
He can totally forget about getting that sort of wage anywhere else.

Need to take what hes offered at his new club whether its us or someone else

Except he has a contract that is paying him £7k every week.

Are you suggesting he gives this up?

:confused:

Jonnyboy
09-01-2014, 08:56 PM

It's a belter Stevie :agree:

My favourite was the one at Tannadice at 8:15 in the video. Again, for a guy with impaired vision the finish was simply sublime

Bay Area Hibees
09-01-2014, 10:46 PM
But consistent for the rest of the time?:greengrin
I'll agree with you, the Dean Shiels that left us wasn't consistent enough to warrant making a move for. He arrived at Killie a much more intelligent footballer though and I was pretty impressed with him. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in a Hibs shirt.

LOVE the photo from 2007 - where did you get it?

Jim44
09-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Except he has a contract that is paying him £7k every week.

Are you suggesting he gives this up?

:confused:

I'm sure there are players who would rather play regularly for a decent club for say £2.5k than sit on their @rses with few resultant prospects for £7k. Whether Shiels is one of them, who knows?

Ozyhibby
10-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Sheils is a no for me. Doesn't work hard enough. Creative player on his day but they are too infrequent.

green.and.white
10-01-2014, 12:52 AM
I'd rather we went for a winger over Shiels

hibby67
10-01-2014, 01:21 AM
I loved shiels when he played for us but would not want him back.
I think he could turn out to be another ivan sproule you think you are getting the player he was but in reality he is half the player he was and you get disappointed .....

Would rather we went for younger players that showed a bit of promise and have a bit of pace about them (not sure where they are) but i'm sure tb and mm will know identify them

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-01-2014, 07:14 AM
I'm hearing that he's asked The Rangers for a 200k pay off. Dunno if true

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-01-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm hearing that he's asked The Rangers for a 200k pay off. Dunno if true

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-01-2014, 07:21 AM
I've only heard that once by the way...

Wilson
10-01-2014, 07:27 AM
I've only heard that once by the way...

Thanks. Was worried that he wanted 400k!

Stevie Reid
10-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Yes I am seriously comparing Rangers' current playing squad to an average Scottish League One squad. That's why it seems strange that Rangers are apparently trying to unload him. Given the relative strengths of the squads he should be tearing that league up if he's as good as you say he is, and the one above for that matter.

I must admit that I didn't see much of Shields when he played for Killie. Only against us in fact, so I'll have to take your word for it. Saw him play down south a couple of times though, he was decent.

If he comes back we'll see who is right. No doubting his talent I just don't see him as anymore than a good impact sub, as he was in his first spell here.

Fair do's mate. It's certainly a valid question to ask why he's not a regular at Rangers at the moment (and indeed one he is obviously asking himself), but their squad is rather imbalanced to say the least - given the exorbitant (for that league) amount of money that he is on, perhaps he gets crazy appearance bonuses? He was injured for a long time last season also. Whatever the reason, as I pointed out earlier, his record there is decent (11 goals in 27 starts). Dean is 28 now, and should be at his peak, he was only 23 when he left us - when I saw him play for Killie he had certainly developed into a very intelligent no. 10, who was worthy of a start every week (as evidenced by his POTY nomination).

I'm certainly no expert, I can only offer an opinion same as yourself - but I can say for sure that Dean's return would genuinely excite me.

It's a belter Stevie :agree:

My favourite was the one at Tannadice at 8:15 in the video. Again, for a guy with impaired vision the finish was simply sublime

It certainly is JB :aok:

In the five years since he left, how many other Hibs players could have had a compilation of such quality compiled? I really hope he returns.

Andy74
10-01-2014, 09:10 AM
The Scotsman reporting he is set to join us once he agrees a pay off.

Brightside
10-01-2014, 09:14 AM
The Scotsman reporting he is set to join us once he agrees a pay off.

I really hope this isnt true. He's struggled to get his game for the worst "rangers" team in history yet some think he'd be great for us? Can we not look a bit higher?

Heisenberg
10-01-2014, 09:16 AM
He's not struggled to get a game. He's been out injured for a very long time and is only just back. They are now cutting the wage bill and Shiels will be one of the top earners.

GreenPJ
10-01-2014, 09:24 AM
When I saw him play against us for Killie I thought that what he had really added to his game was his movement, he was playing all over the park and constantly moving making himself available for the ball. At Killie he was the think that made them tick and I think he thrived in that. I do think we are missing something in between midfield and striker who is making themselves available all the time and based on his performances at Killie am sure he could do that. Not seen him since he moved down the leagues though.

JustSimplyHibs
Robertson last season maybe. After getting a good pre-season under his belt I think he's a really good player who knocks his pan in every game. His desire and anticipation are second to none.

Spot on, in the current squad he would always be first name on my teamlist even if Shiels was here... Shiels would make a good squad player to inconsistant to be a regular.

db03
Personally would love to see him back at easter road, Shown during his time at Killie the kind of player he is and would strengthen the team in my opinion.

Hermit Crab
10-01-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm a bit skeptical about our ex players returning. The 2nd time around never seems to work as well as the first time.

If he joins I'll give him a chance though. It's only fair.

J-C
10-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Not a huge fan of players returning, they never seem to come back the player they were 1st time around, I'd hope TB & MM have some young unearthed talent up their sleeves to bring in, hopefully Marsella has been putting the miles in scouting.

Nevi_SOL
10-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Russell Anderson?

for as I would add Pat McGinlay (if Shiels did as well as he did second time around I would be very, very happy)

Sparky aswell

The_Todd
10-01-2014, 11:00 AM
I really hope this isnt true. He's struggled to get his game for the worst "rangers" team in history yet some think he'd be great for us? Can we not look a bit higher?

The worst Rangers team in history still built on a budget we could only dream of. Also, his manager isn't a renowned managerial genius either.

I wouldn't mind if we gave Deano a punt.

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Fwiw I know a few current bun ST holders and all of them really rate Deano and think he should be playing far more regularly. I really hope this happens

Jones28
10-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Would a great addition, has added immesuarably to his game since leaving us and showed real quality at killie.

MrSmith
10-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Not a huge fan of players returning, they never seem to come back the player they were 1st time around, I'd hope TB & MM have some young unearthed talent up their sleeves to bring in, hopefully Marsella has been putting the miles in scouting.

yep me too!

10-01-2014, 04:14 PM
I like Deano, would be happy if we signed him.

SanFranHibs
10-01-2014, 05:08 PM
I like Deano, would be happy if we signed him.

Otherwise I am not too keen. I don't really see him as Butcher system player.

Stax
10-01-2014, 05:49 PM
I'd love to see him back here, I see Partick thistle are Interested in him as well.

AllyF
11-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Deano's just scored after 4 minutes at Ibrox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

db03
11-01-2014, 02:15 PM

1st start for months and pops up with a goal. Exactly what were missing, that someone to link up and create for the strikers!

Ronniekirk
11-01-2014, 02:15 PM

Which is why he won't go anywhere and they can't afford to give him the pay off he is looking for .

Keith_M
11-01-2014, 02:21 PM
If it's true that he wants paid the remainder of his contract to leave, he just went lower down in my estimation. He's been getting paid much more than he's worth for around 18 months. Just be grateful and move on.

Hermit Crab
11-01-2014, 02:22 PM
1st start for months and pops up with a goal. Exactly what were missing, that someone to link up and create for the strikers!

It's division two mind.

Ronniekirk
11-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Otherwise I am not too keen. I don't really see him as Butcher system player.
The were better as The Rat Pack So if he is going to bring him in to play in the whole off the Strikers it needs to be the right threesome and Collins and Heff aren't on same wavelength so think it wouldn't work with them

Ronniekirk
11-01-2014, 02:27 PM
It's division two mind.
Quality shines in any division

Ronniekirk
11-01-2014, 02:31 PM
If it's true that he wants paid the remainder of his contract to leave, he just went lower down in my estimation. He's been getting paid much more than he's worth for around 18 months. Just be grateful and move on.
The greed of the modern footballer or just looking at what mcCoist was being paid and thinking I will have some of that Think figure quoted was £200'000 but that will be starting point and if he gets half of that he will take it .unless he is going to get game there every week

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-01-2014, 02:49 PM
If anyone is struggling to score or get a game, then just be linked with Hibs and the goals will start to flow. Murphy and now Deano. Annoying!!
I'm the first to agree that the greed of modern day footballers is disgusting at times, however The Rangers stuck Dean on a 4 yr deal and are now trying to shove him out the door without ever giving him a proper chance, why should he just accept that?! He won't have been on big money anywhere until signing for them last summer. It's a short career and he's maybe got one or two more moves in him. If my boss hired me and told me how important I was going to be to his company, stuck me on a 4 yr contract then told me after 18 months he wanted me to leave, I'd try my arm at some compo as well. He also doesn't want to leave which will be part of his decision as well. If he seen out his contract, it's worth in excess of £500,000 + bonuses, which are no doubt big. Nah, he's within his rights with this one. He won't sit around on the bench for 18 months but he may as well try and get something out of them. If he had made millions out the game like players down in the EPL then I would agree that he was being greedy

db03
11-01-2014, 03:27 PM
2nd goal for the wee man

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-01-2014, 03:32 PM
**** sake

Dibben
11-01-2014, 03:36 PM
2nd goal for the wee man

If he gets a goal bonus, it may be cheaper for Rangers to pay him off...

:wink:

judas
11-01-2014, 03:58 PM
He's not getting a game for a league 1 side.:cb

Hell why is that important. Lol.

For me it's not a forward move.

ballengeich
11-01-2014, 04:17 PM

But think about who it is he'll be taking the money from.

AllyF
11-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Two goals and a MOTM award for Deano at Ibrox today. They won't be letting go of him in a hurry.

Iggy Pope
11-01-2014, 08:27 PM
If we really were after Shiels, Butcher will be tearing his hair out again. It's a replica of the James Forrest situation he was going on about last week.

Arf!

Stax
11-01-2014, 08:36 PM
If anyone is struggling to score or get a game, then just be linked with Hibs and the goals will start to flow. Murphy and now Deano. Annoying!!
I'm the first to agree that the greed of modern day footballers is disgusting at times, however The Rangers stuck Dean on a 4 yr deal and are now trying to shove him out the door without ever giving him a proper chance, why should he just accept that?! He won't have been on big money anywhere until signing for them last summer. It's a short career and he's maybe got one or two more moves in him. If my boss hired me and told me how important I was going to be to his company, stuck me on a 4 yr contract then told me after 18 months he wanted me to leave, I'd try my arm at some compo as well. He also doesn't want to leave which will be part of his decision as well. If he seen out his contract, it's worth in excess of £500,000 + bonuses, which are no doubt big. Nah, he's within his rights with this one. He won't sit around on the bench for 18 months but he may as well try and get something out of them. If he had made millions out the game like players down in the EPL then I would agree that he was being greedy
Great post, agree 100%:agree:

SMAXXA
11-01-2014, 08:38 PM
What he say about Forrest like.

Jim44
11-01-2014, 08:41 PM
What he say about Forrest like.

Nothing, slip of the mouse!! :greengrin

joe breezy
11-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Will be a good signing if we get relegated and want to built a sold first division side

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Everyone knows he only went for the money - his dad blabbed it on Sportscene - so why would he leave without getting it?!