PDA

View Full Version : Greatest ever Hibs memories?

AndySOL1875
09-01-2014, 12:11 PM
On Youtube earlier I found myself watching the CIS Cup final and Sunshine onn Leith at the end. As only a young hibee (19) thats been my most memorable moment and still to this day was one of the greatest days of my life.

What have been your best hibs memories?

:flag::flag::flag:

E10 Rifle
09-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Apart from the obvious: Ally McLeod being told to retake a free kick from outside the box against Dundee which he'd just curled into the top corner. So he just stepped up and did exactly the same thing again leading to a decent pogo of a few hundred fans down the old terracing.

Victories were few and far between in those days and going home happy on a freezing cold afternoon having seen this little bit of genius warmed my cockles.

Second to that a Paul Kane (I think) winner at Darkheid when we won 1-0 against all the odds and a really good Celtic team. Sportscene used to pan across the fans at each goal in those days and to see 300-400 of us going buns in their massive away end was hilarious. Tony Higgins was on the teraacing that day cheering us on.

Just random fixtures during fairly unauspicious times for us...but great memories.

Oscar T Grouch
09-01-2014, 12:23 PM
As a not so young Hibee, that day was amazing and one of my greatest Hibs memories, as I was a bit out my face during the 90s I missed the previous cup. I had a wee tear in my eye when we won the CIS cup that day (and I was sober):wink:

:flag::flag:

iwasthere1972
09-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Naples at Easter Road late 60's. In east terracing and witnessed us thrashing Naples 5-0.

Magic.

jeffers
09-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Sad to say the day they lost the league. I was in the old enclosure that game when the news came through that Kidd had scored, not Walter as we thought but Albert. The terracing erupted, pretty sure Dundee Utd went ahead and no one cared.

confused
09-01-2014, 01:08 PM
I cant remember the exact year 54/55 ? getting a bus 30 miles to Edinburgh ,waking down Easter Road, massive queue, getting lifted over the turnstile , going up the never ending steps to the back of the second terracing , sitting on my dads shoulders , getting a macaroon bar at half time , watching Hibs beat the Dons , cant remember the score ? , going home , bag of chips a Green Dispatch and a Pink News , Then crying all night because my Dad said we could'nt go the next week , ( He never explained that were away from home!) Never ever forgot that day , Thanks Dad ,

Gettin' Auld
09-01-2014, 01:19 PM
The second half of the 1973 game against Sporting Lisbon.......An excellent European side literally ripped a new one by The Tornadoes at their best.

Plenty other great memories too, but that was the first that sprung to mind.

Billychaotic182
09-01-2014, 01:24 PM
When we beat the unbeatable hearts team.
The squiggler against Celtic
CIS cup final
Beating rangers at Hampden
Dean Sheils winner at the PBS

BSEJVT
09-01-2014, 01:34 PM
In addition to some of the above, there was a New Year fixture v Kilmarnock at Rugby Park (cant remember the score (1-1 or 2-2?) but it was the game Boozy got injured)

At Half time Dylan Kerr (ex Killie) came on to say a few words and made some disparaging remark over the microphone about the Hibs support

For the rest of half time he was absolutely drowned out but the Hibbies signing and left the park having never got to make his announcement

Really funny at the time and what a racket we made to drown him out!

Aldo
09-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Game at the PBS in the pishing rain when we beat that lot with super Stevie scoring a screamer and celebrating in front of us all... Gorgie Road end at the time. Was drunk for 3 days.

tomf
09-01-2014, 01:45 PM
I was with my late brother at Tynecastle to witness the nil-seven. I think that must have been before fans were segregated as we were with a mixture of Hearts and Hibs fans and, believe it or not, the atmosphere was fairly good natured as remember it. A few of the jambos even managed to crack a couple of jokes at half time. Having watched Hibs score like it was going out of style in the league that season we had a feeling that it could have gone either way...if Hearts had come out and attempted to play us then we felt they were on a hiding. If they tried to defend in depth then it might have been a close game. In their wisdom / stupidity / arrogance, they decided to attack and almost scored before we got our first but we just knew they would regret it. A great Hibs team and, to be honest, Hearts weren't bad then either, which sets that result above their recent Celtic defeat. Times have changed a lot since then and it is sad to see what the jamos have become but hell mend them..they would do it all again (nuts!!!). I would say that watching Brownlie tackle, Paddy drive them forward, Arthur run like a maniac and O'Rourke and Gordon score great goals was a real privilege. I should also say that Hibs have always had class players. I only wish I could have seen the famous five but even I'm not that old!

Tom Hart RIP
09-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Apart from the obvious: Ally McLeod being told to retake a free kick from outside the box against Dundee which he'd just curled into the top corner. So he just stepped up and did exactly the same thing again leading to a decent pogo of a few hundred fans down the old terracing.

Victories were few and far between in those days and going home happy on a freezing cold afternoon having seen this little bit of genius warmed my cockles.

Second to that a Paul Kane (I think) winner at Darkheid when we won 1-0 against all the odds and a really good Celtic team. Sportscene used to pan across the fans at each goal in those days and to see 300-400 of us going buns in their massive away end was hilarious. Tony Higgins was on the teraacing that day cheering us on.

Just random fixtures during fairly unauspicious times for us...but great memories.

Was at both gAmes. Great memories

easty
09-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Whenever I think of the best days out I've had with Hibs I always think about Dundee Utd away on boxing day (I think it was, might have been the day after), cannae remember what year it was but we humped them and it was a brilliant atmosphere that day.

Tom Hart RIP
09-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Naples at Easter Road late 60's. In east terracing and witnessed us thrashing Naples 5-0.

Magic.

Fantastic night. My first European game. I thought it would always be like this. Was at Leeds game in next round and we were robbed

Tom Hart RIP
09-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Game at the PBS in the pishing rain when we beat that lot with super Stevie scoring a screamer and celebrating in front of us all... Gorgie Road end at the time. Was drunk for 3 days.

Brilliant goal. We were down to 10 men as well as big Gordon Rae had been sent off.

Tom Hart RIP
09-01-2014, 02:37 PM
The second half of the 1973 game against Sporting Lisbon.......An excellent European side literally ripped a new one by The Tornadoes at their best.

Plenty other great memories too, but that was the first that sprung to mind.

Unbelievable night. I was on the shed that night. Jimmy Orourke outstanding

GreenLake
09-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Cup game against celtic at ER which was a draw at 4 all after ET I think and we won on penalties.

Aldo
09-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Cup game against celtic at ER which was a draw at 4 all after ET I think and we won on penalties.

Quarter Final of League cup. Pierce O'Leary thumping his penalty waaaaayyyyy over the bar.

Semi Final first leg at ER was also excellent. Gordon Chisholm making his debut after signing from Sunderland and scoring along with Duke box. Roughies saving a Sally penalty at the Dunbar end.

85/86 season.

eastterrace
09-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Whenever I think of the best days out I've had with Hibs I always think about Dundee Utd away on boxing day (I think it was, might have been the day after), cannae remember what year it was but we humped them and it was a brilliant atmosphere that day.

think you mean the 4-1 game when sam morrow scored, we were superb that boxing day and the crowd was brilliant

GreenLake
09-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Quarter Final of League cup. Pierce O'Leary thumping his penalty waaaaayyyyy over the bar.

Semi Final first leg at ER was also excellent. Gordon Chisholm making his debut after signing from Sunderland and scoring along with Duke box. Roughies saving a Sally penalty at the Dunbar end.

85/86 season.

Can't find video and but this thread mentions work was being done so no gantry for tv cameras.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?193207-Hibs-v-Celtic-1985-1986-season

Stantons Angel
09-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Ive far to many memories to have a favorite game but the 0-7 game, 6-2 games against Hearts always make me smile. They were football played in a different class from the rest.
The Barcelona, Napoli, and Athens games alll stick out as having fabulous atmospheres and brilliant goals scored too.

In all the years ive watched Hibs one game sticks out in my mind and that was the recent cup game against Hearts where Wotherspoon scored the winner at Easter Road. It wasnt a particularly brilliant game by any standard, but the faces on the supporters after the game showed just what it meant to the fans.

Old men, who were probably used to seeing football played by the famous five teams, where smiling, wee boys were running around shouting Hi bees!

This was a rather bleak time for being a Hibs supporter but the emotions of the supporters that night just made it special and it had made them happy.

Its just what being a Hibs supporter is all about!

Waxy
09-01-2014, 03:48 PM
The two cup games against Celtic 85/86 4-4 and 4-3
1987 beating the yams at ER first time in yonks 2-1 Kano header won it.
Amazing scenes at these games.

SteveHFC
09-01-2014, 03:51 PM
The 6-2 game
CIS Cup Final 2007
Shiels winner at PBS 2005
Beating the Old Rangers at Hampden on pens 2004
The European Trips from over the years :cb

GreenLake
09-01-2014, 03:59 PM
I remember listening to a cup replay against the former rangers on the radio as a youngster - late 70's possibly early 80's. The whole game sounded like Hibs were all over them, but somehow the huns made off like bandits. Hibs hit the bar and should have scored a hatful. What game was that and are there highlights for it?

Persevere80
09-01-2014, 04:05 PM
The CIS cup final. Then the unbeatable derby. I went myself but one of the best games I've seen with some great banter that day.

GGTTH

easty
09-01-2014, 04:09 PM
think you mean the 4-1 game when sam morrow scored, we were superb that boxing day and the crowd was brilliant

Aye, that's the one. That was a great day out. Remember their keeper (Tony Bulloch I think) taking it really well when we were ripping into him.

PeeJay
09-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Beating Naples, Porto, Sporting Lisbon, beating Liverpool, forcing Leeds to cheat their way forward, beating Celtic in the League Cup Final, the Dryborough Cup Final, Joe Baker's white-booted return game, scoring a goal in defeating the mighty Aberdeen - the Scottish League Cup semi-final in 68 and the CIS cup final victory ... fond memories of when I used to attend games in Edinburgh, we used to beat Hearts more often than not ... missed that 0-7 game though, my greatest regret ...

Bay Area Hibees
09-01-2014, 04:27 PM
CIS Cup Final = yes I watch the sunshine on leith alot, I travelled back from san francisco for the game and had a brilliant time. After so many disappointments here was Hibs winning a trophy in proper style, it was just like a dream!

Ditto 6-2 game after all the pain at their hands over the years (before and after).

Finally, still very fond memories of Skol Cup win - first trophy I saw us win.

Hopefully have a few more to come...

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-01-2014, 04:27 PM
2-0 Real Madrid (a quite stunning performance)

5-1 Napoli ( a stunning turn around)

2-1 Celtic LCF ( what a performance that day)

7-0 erm.....(can't remember the name of the other team....:greengrin)

6-1 Sporting Lisbon (breathtaking football)

1-0 Liverpool (should have been a lot more)

Skol Cup final (had both my wee laddies with me, what a support that day)

6-2 (against a wee team from a smelly part of Edinburgh)

5-1 Killie LCF (brilliant goals)

Lots more but these are personal faves.

Smiggy 7-0
09-01-2014, 04:58 PM
2-1 Aberdeen (Joe Bakers return, my first ever match)

2-1 Celtic ( LCF)

8-0 Ayr United (Week after LCF, cup paraded)

7-0 Hearts (Obviously)

Lots of others from the TORNADO years and travelling to away games on the CARLTON BUS

6-2 Hearts (Latapy's goal)

Not much to cheer about after that apart from CIS Cup

Aaron
09-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Probably our recent cup win, winning the 1st division, 6-2 and sharing a train/taxi with Irvine Welsh to Firhill only to see him geting chucked out for being too pissed. :flag:

Famous Fiver
09-01-2014, 05:07 PM
All of the above plus three 3 - 0 away wins, two against Huns. Thank you Ivan, and one at PBS, thank you Le God.

scunnyhibs
09-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Hibs 9 Montrose 0. League Cup about ten years ago, I remember just being delighted at the quantity and quality of the goals that night especially Deeks contribution. Went home grinning from ear to ear!

VickMackie
09-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Hibs vs Falkirk semi final.

It was literally the best weekend of my life. Date with the woman of my dreams on the Friday and then out with friends, all night party at hers, straight to the game on Saturday, wandering around after the game drunk trying to find our bus then back to another party and met up with them all again. Outstanding.

The unbeatable game when we beat them or the Killie final. I'd say I enjoyed that unbeatable game more but it was magic to see my grandad have a few tears after the Killie game singing SoL.

craigmounthibby
09-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Beating the Huns 3-0 in the Scottish Cup at Ibrox in early 2006. Great support that day, all 3 goals at our end, every single player had a blinder.

Craig_in_Prague
09-01-2014, 06:58 PM
The Millennium derby.
The Sauzee lost teeth derby.
CIS final.
Hibs v Aberdeen in Mcleish days, 2.0 win at ER, my (now) wife's 1st Hibs game and she was bored how one sided it was (we really did boss games), it makes me laugh to the day as when I say Hibs won today, her standard reply is, who were you playing - Aberdeen?
I enjoyed semi v Livingston (3, 0), as getting bevvied with friends and family, going to Hampden fancying us, leaving very happy, is not (as we know), to common
I left Edinburgh in 2003, so in terms of attending games the Mcleish era will always be remembered with a smile. Class team

Aldo
09-01-2014, 07:03 PM
The 6-2 game CIS Cup Final 2007 Shiels winner at PBS 2005 Beating the Old Rangers at Hampden on pens 2004 The European Trips from over the years :cb

7,000 or so Hibs fans V 25,000 or so DervHun Fans at Hamdump. Totally out sang them my fav song which we sang and sang

You are a weegie a smelly weegie
Your only happy on giro day
Your maws a dealer, your da's a stealer
Don't nick my hubcaps the day.

Over and over and over. We were all huddle (ish) together and When Dobbie scored Remember everyone going mental and the shoot out was also brilliant (but nerve wracking)

Was hoarse for days.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
09-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Beating Rangers 3-0 in the cup when we had the whole stand. The unbeatables derby. 2nd half vs Falkirk. CIS Cup Final win in 07'. And loads more...:thumbsup:

Badabing
09-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I was at the 7-0 game but don't remember too much about it about. The game we thumped Motherwell 6-1 at Fir Park was brilliant, we were awesome that day. I can't remember leaving a game so optimistic about the future

Mon Dieu4
09-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Outside of Cup wins my all time favourite Hibs game is still the Millennium Derby, i enjoyed that even more than 6-2

Aldo
09-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Outside of Cup wins my all time favourite Hibs game is still the Millennium Derby, i enjoyed that even more than 6-2

They had spent quite a bit on players having had the investment from that media company, Petric, Niemi etc and they never got a look in. Russell was immense that nite and when Kenny put the 3rd away right in front of us we spilled onto the pitch. It was crazy. Guys from rows and rows back ended up next to us.

Brilliant nite as well.

brog
09-01-2014, 07:21 PM
I remember listening to a cup replay against the former rangers on the radio as a youngster - late 70's possibly early 80's. The whole game sounded like Hibs were all over them, but somehow the huns made off like bandits. Hibs hit the bar and should have scored a hatful. What game was that and are there highlights for it?

There was a replay at ER in 1973 I think when John McDonald infamously dived in the box to win it for Oldco. IIRC the crowd was 49,007!

Craig_in_Prague
09-01-2014, 07:23 PM
They had spent quite a bit on players having had the investment from that media company, Petric, Niemi etc and they never got a look in. Russell was immense that nite and when Kenny put the 3rd away right in front of us we spilled onto the pitch. It was crazy. Guys from rows and rows back ended up next to us.

Brilliant nite as well.

Got drunk with the team that night, which made it even better

Mon Dieu4
09-01-2014, 07:23 PM

Brilliant nite as well.

You forgot the biggest star they bought with the money, Fitzroy Simpson haha

How Russell never scored that night i will never know, he had Petric on toast every time he got the ball, the one where he twisted, turned and tried a ridiculous outside of the boot shot that barely missed would have been some goal

Aldo
09-01-2014, 07:26 PM
You forgot the biggest star they bought with the money, Fitzroy Simpson haha How Russell never scored that night i will never know, he had Petric on toast every time he got the ball, the one where he twisted, turned and tried a ridiculous outside of the boot shot that barely missed would have been some goal

Aaa yes Fitzroy. He was mince. Spent the nite chasing wee Russell. Russell was unplayable that nite and I remember that shot. A quality lob as well.

If it hadn't been for Niemi it could (and should) of been more.

scoopyboy
09-01-2014, 07:28 PM
There was a replay at ER in 1973 I think when John McDonald infamously dived in the box to win it for Oldco. IIRC the crowd was 49,007!

The McDonald dive was a league match.

The cup replay was the 2-1 win with the 49,000+ crowd, IIRC Tommy McLean scored them both.

brog
09-01-2014, 07:40 PM
The end of the 1962/63 season. There was no football for about 6 weeks due to the weather & we ended up playing 9 games in April & looking certs for relegation at the end of it! We threw caution to the wind, basically played with no central defenders & drew 3-3 at PBS. Kept the same team throughout & won our last 3 games by a margin of 10-1 to stay up! The final game at Starks which we won 4-0 was magic!

jdships
09-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Wed 22 Feb 1961 Hibernian 3 Barcelona 2 in front of ( I think from memory ) a 45000 crowd .

I was there !!!!

Joe Baker scoring to put Hibs 1 up within 10 minutes. Barcelona came right back, equalising 10 minutes later through Martinez and going ahead just before half time thanks to a Kocsis goal.

Hibs came out brightly in the second half, putting Barca under pressure whilst shooting down the slope. The game was becoming more heated and the Barcelona players were becoming more frustrated. Hibs were denied two penalties by the German referee.

On 75 minutes, Preston managed to equalise from an Ormond corner and Hibs kept piling on the pressure. Well into the last ten minutes of the game, McLeod was fouled inside the box and the referee this time gave the penalty. The Barcelona players reacted badly to this, attacking the referee who required protection from Hibs players then the police.

10 minutes later, the situation was under control and the game restarted, Hibs Bobby Kinloch scoring the penalty to put Hibs 3-2 up.

YESSSSSSSSSSS

CapitalHibs
09-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Wed 22 Feb 1961 Hibernian 3 Barcelona 2 in front of ( I think from memory ) a 45000 crowd .

I was there !!!!

Joe Baker scoring to put Hibs 1 up within 10 minutes. Barcelona came right back, equalising 10 minutes later through Martinez and going ahead just before half time thanks to a Kocsis goal.

Hibs came out brightly in the second half, putting Barca under pressure whilst shooting down the slope. The game was becoming more heated and the Barcelona players were becoming more frustrated. Hibs were denied two penalties by the German referee.

On 75 minutes, Preston managed to equalise from an Ormond corner and Hibs kept piling on the pressure. Well into the last ten minutes of the game, McLeod was fouled inside the box and the referee this time gave the penalty. The Barcelona players reacted badly to this, attacking the referee who required protection from Hibs players then the police.

10 minutes later, the situation was under control and the game restarted, Hibs Bobby Kinloch scoring the penalty to put Hibs 3-2 up.

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Me too!!...... and despite all the barca hi-jinks- Bobby Kinloch cool as a cucumber from the spot:thumbsup:

essexhibee
09-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Being only 20....Mine was definitely CIS 2007. What a feeling. Sunshine on Leith rendition was truely exceptional. Many of my University mates have watched that youtube number during boring moments in the library with awe! :aok:

Other highlights include the 6-2 (brief memory being only 7) , running downstairs out of my bed on a schoolnight to watch Dobbie score against the Huns, the 2-1 at tynie with Deanos winner, the casper derby, and most recently the 4-3 comeback after a tough week. Had lost my granddad that week and the thought of a long drive home at half time was unbearable but luckily we managed to pull through.

jodjam
09-01-2014, 08:56 PM
The cup wins, any victory over the operation yewtree mob,but my greatest memory is Videoton away. Everything about the trip was amazing against a top team in Europe at the time.

bournehibby
09-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Only had 3/4 years living at home in Edinburgh, so missed the Famous 5 and TT's. but great memories of 60,s Hibs

1963 Hibs 2 Dundee 0 LCQF 2nd leg
1964 Hibs 2 Real 0 Friendly
1964 Rangers 2 Hibs 4 League
1965 Hibs 1 Rangers 0 League
1965 Hibs 2 Rangers 1 SCR6
1967 Hibs 5 Napoli 0 Fairs Cup

Maybe bit hazy these days but great memories.............:agree:

VivaHiberņa
09-01-2014, 10:40 PM
CIS Cup: Speaks for itself. Only cup final Hibs have won in my lifetime.

Beating Aberdeen in the 2011/12 semi-final: a terrible game but being too young to appreciate the 2001 cup final (I didn't really support Hibs then anyway) I'm sure there are a lot of other people my age who were looking forward to an SC final just because they'd never experienced one before.

2nd half vs Falkirk: Never have I literally shaken with nerves like how I did waiting on extra-time.

More generally looking back, just how unbelievably lucky we were to get to watch Mowbray's team/the 'Golden Generation' play. That was some class football from a good team and we were lucky to see it. The derbies were brilliant then too; we lost a good few but they were always good games in sold-out stadia.

I'm too young to remember a lot of the stuff being mentioned on this thread but just sitting here the ones I do remember are making me smile.* Makes you think what supporting Hibs, or any team for that matter, is about. The crap midweek games in Perth, the early kick-offs in Aberdeen, losing x games in a row to them, the heart-breaking feeling of losing a cup final and all the other s**** you go through, all of it is worth it for when they do pull it out it the bag.
:hibees

*Might strip off and go out to the balcony for a wee cry.

Hibby Gav
09-01-2014, 10:53 PM
I've seen a good few of the games mentioned here already...all great memories

But one that sticks out was the HOH rally at ER...supporters from other clubs joining with Edinburgh finest to fight against, well......you know who.
Standing up at the corner between the old shed and the terracing at the wee hut where the music was played beside Jimmy O'Rourke with tears streaming down his cheeks...
There is only one Hibernian FC and it's ours.
GGTTH

Sir David Gray
09-01-2014, 10:54 PM
The League Cup victory in 2007 remains, to this day, one of the best moments of my life.

Brilliant day from start to finish.