PDA

View Full Version : NHC What is worse?

theonlywayisup
08-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Sending racist tweets or assaulting a policeman. Both actions that I would never ever condone, but relatively speaking which is the greater crime.

The reason why I ask is that a person who sent racist tweets to two ex-Rangers players has been jailed for six months, whilst a football player receives a non-custodial sentence (130 hrs of non-paid work) for assaulting two policemen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25653860

The players - who have since left Rangers - had stated that they were "intimidated" and "shocked" by the tweets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25653862

St. Mirren midfielder, Paul McGowan, admitted kicking the two officers on the body in Airdrie and at Coatbridge police station. One of the attacks being a repeated assault on on officer.

Discuss?

Slim Shady
08-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Whilst I think the punishment are totally wrong.

The difference in the two cases are - McGowan admitted his assault - The tweeter claimed 'it wisnae me'

I think things would've been worse if McGowan had denied it - IMO he should be in HMP.

The way the law works is punishment is more severe if you deny guilt when in turn found guilty.

lapsedhibee
08-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Discuss?

Other things being equal - which in the real world they never are - physical violence is worse than political/moral violence. Sticks and stones etc innit?

Hibercelona
08-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Whilst I think the punishment are totally wrong.

The difference in the two cases are - McGowan admitted his assault - The tweeter claimed 'it wisnae me'

I think things would've been worse if McGowan had denied it - IMO he should be in HMP.

The way the law works is punishment is more severe if you deny guilt when in turn found guilty.

Well you can't deny something that you can't deny...

littleplum
08-01-2014, 04:41 PM
I personally would have liked to have seen alternatives to custodial sentences in both cases although I (and I daresay others who have been subject to it) am glad that racist abuse is being taken seriously by the police, PFs and courts.

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Sending racist tweets or assaulting a policeman. Both actions that I would never ever condone, but relatively speaking which is the greater crime.

The reason why I ask is that a person who sent racist tweets to two ex-Rangers players has been jailed for six months, whilst a football player receives a non-custodial sentence (130 hrs of non-paid work) for assaulting two policemen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25653860

The players - who have since left Rangers - had stated that they were "intimidated" and "shocked" by the tweets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25653862

St. Mirren midfielder, Paul McGowan, admitted kicking the two officers on the body in Airdrie and at Coatbridge police station. One of the attacks being a repeated assault on on officer.

Discuss?

Assaults on Police officers are no more serious than assaults on members of the public in the eyes of the law.

cabbageandribs1875
08-01-2014, 05:15 PM
130 ***** hours of unpaid work for assaulting not one...but two people, AND after previous assault :rolleyes:

Weststandwanab
08-01-2014, 05:19 PM
130 ***** hours of unpaid work for assaulting not one...but two people, AND after previous assault :rolleyes: ******* result that is eh incredibleAgreed but I wonder who his brief is !

cabbageandribs1875
08-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Agreed but I wonder who his brief is !

never heard of him, Mark Lutton, McGowan maybe needs to get a grip on his drinking habits

Sylar
08-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Anyone remember the story of Newcastle fan Barry Rogerson?

Punched a police HORSE, admitted it in court and got jailed for 12 months and given a six year football banning order...

HIBEES 4 LIFE
09-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Assaults on Police officers are no more serious than assaults on members of the public in the eyes of the law.

It is actually, assaulting a police office is a desperate crime and more serious according to scot's law

He's a lucky boy

Jack
09-01-2014, 07:26 AM
I suppose the judge in each case has based the sentences on the information available to them.

Personally I think the courts and their out of touch judges are the weak point in the system. I'd have jailed them both.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Custodial sestances are a joke - what about that family that imprisoned, physically and mentally abused and treated him as a slave that vulnerable guy reported,this week they left him a "broken man" most one got iirc was 6 years which as we know will be reduced down. Disgusting.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-01-2014, 07:36 AM
I suppose the judge in each case has based the sentences on the information available to them.

Personally I think the courts and their out of touch judges are the weak point in the system. I'd have jailed them both.

What about the defendants? ;)

leggeto
09-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Anyone remember the story of Newcastle fan Barry Rogerson?

Punched a police HORSE, admitted it in court and got jailed for 12 months and given a six year football banning order...
aka Conan the barbarian :-]

ancient hibee
09-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Didn't the sheriff say McGowan wasn't at risk of reoffending? Yet he was up for reoffending.Good job he didn't throw in a few sectarian insults.Nowadays you can't insult anyone but you can lamp a couple of cops(not for the first time)and get away with it.