PDA

View Full Version : Scottish football journalists

Waxy
08-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Must admit i used to blindly believe most things coming out the Scottish papers.Until i started reading Hibs.net.
I quickly realised they all have agendas thanks to many posters on here.
Jim Traynor what a laugh.

Is there any good journalists in Scottish football?sure some of the guys could do a league table best to worst, they kinda deserve it.

Mikey09
08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Must admit i used to blindly believe most things coming out the Scottish papers.Until i started reading Hibs.net.
I quickly realised they al reports. l have agendas thanks to many posters on here.

Is there any good journalists in Scottish football?sure some of the guys could do a league table best to worst, they kinda deserve it.

I must admit I enjoy reading Bill Leckies reports. Not only his football ones but his columns in general. Dont always agree with him but most of it is well thought out, to the point and pretty funny. Met him when he was covering a scottish cup 1st round tie at my ex club and he's a decent bloke as well. Wish there were more like him............ Good thread :aok:

Gus Fring
08-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Chris Mclaughlin at the BBC (not Brian)

Peter Smith at STV (He's played a part in breaking some pretty big stories)

Luke Shanley at Sky Sports (He's actually a freelancer but he does a lot of work for them. Started his career in Hibs media team :wink: )

sixtwo
08-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Alex Thomson from Chanel 4 news exposed them all as a bunch of amateurs with their own agendas!

tomf
08-01-2014, 01:20 PM

I struggle to find fair, unbiased reporting in the tabloids although, over the years, The Times is one newspaper where I would say that I have seen reasonably balanced report on The Rangers situation and the jambos plight and pretty good Scottish match reports. However, the EEN is the worst offender in my mind. They have given almost every bit of double dealing and cheating by Hearts over the years a positive spin. It can be blatant or simply the use of a negative word in a headline giving a subtle meaning to the article e.g. is it a crisis or a challenge? I appreciate that I am generalising and that I appear paranoid but I have been able to evidence his journalistic tactic over the years and I can stand by my words...unlike the EEN.

On another, related, topic. The bias in TV sports reporting is also a concern. Consider Sportscene's coverage of the recent Hibs v St Johnston game; does anyone seriously believe that if Celtic had a (pretty stong) penalty claim turned down in the last few minutes of a nil-nil game at home that it wouldn't even have been discussed and reviewed by the presenter and the pundits after the highlights? In Hibs case, the presenter menioned it in a two part question, which the pundit proceeded to ignore in his answer; referring only to the second part of the queston. It was then ignored by everyone. I guess it wasn't that important. Worse than useless reporting.

The_Todd
08-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Sportscene is a joke to be brutally honest. I don't bother watching it, bare minimum highlights, no analysis, no proper debate. The whole thing feels like they just want to get through it as fast as they can and get out.

Onion
08-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I struggle to find fair, unbiased reporting in the tabloids although, over the years, The Times is one newspaper where I would say that I have seen reasonably balanced report on The Rangers situation and the jambos plight and pretty good Scottish match reports. However, the EEN is the worst offender in my mind. They have given almost every bit of double dealing and cheating by Hearts over the years a positive spin. It can be blatant or simply the use of a negative word in a headline giving a subtle meaning to the article e.g. is it a crisis or a challenge? I appreciate that I am generalising and that I appear paranoid but I have been able to evidence his journalistic tactic over the years and I can stand by my words...unlike the EEN.

On another, related, topic. The bias in TV sports reporting is also a concern. Consider Sportscene's coverage of the recent Hibs v St Johnston game; does anyone seriously believe that if Celtic had a (pretty stong) penalty claim turned down in the last few minutes of a nil-nil game at home that it wouldn't even have been discussed and reviewed by the presenter and the pundits after the highlights? In Hibs case, the presenter menioned it in a two part question, which the pundit proceeded to ignore in his answer; referring only to the second part of the queston. It was then ignored by everyone. I guess it wasn't that important. Worse than useless reporting.

All boils down to readership. Times have nowt to fear from the Hun Hoards deserting their crossword.

147lothian
08-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Too many journalists, say what they are told or are fed snip bits and do the bidding for chairmen, or the foh in the evening news case, they seem unwilling to break the relationship they have with their source, this is not real journalism

Elephant Stone
08-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Tom English is decent, isn't scared to be unpopular with those in the West, which is a rare treat for a journalist in Scotland. Probably because he's not Scottish.

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Too many journalists, say what they are told or are fed snip bits and do the bidding for chairmen, or the foh in the evening news case, they seem unwilling to break the relationship they have with their source, this is not real journalism

Almost exactly what Graham Spiers said on Radio Scotland last night.

JimBHibees
08-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Almost exactly what Graham Spiers said on Radio Scotland last night.

Wasnt that just so revealing. Says it all. Murray had them all in his pocket. Shameful.

Bobby's Cinema
08-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Chris Mclaughlin at the BBC (not Brian)

Peter Smith at STV (He's played a part in breaking some pretty big stories)

Luke Shanley at Sky Sports (He's actually a freelancer but he does a lot of work for them. Started his career in Hibs media team :wink: )
can't stand him and his Tanner-esque love for all things OF

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Wasnt that just so revealing. Says it all. Murray had them all in his pocket. Shameful.

:agree: and it sounds like he still does.

GreenLake
08-01-2014, 06:35 PM
There is an oxymoron somewhere in the title of this thread

Kato
08-01-2014, 06:37 PM
....and a whole load of poxy morons.

Saorsa
08-01-2014, 07:12 PM
What are these Scottish fitba journalists you talk of? :dunno: Didnae ken there wis any. All I ever see is a load of psychophantic slavering fools who'll print what ever pish will best sell their comics nae matter how far from reality it actually is.

Winston Ingram
08-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Alex Thomson from Chanel 4 news exposed them all as a bunch of amateurs with their own agendas!

...1 of them threatened him with a doing if he continued:greengrin

Winston Ingram
08-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Hugh Keevins is probably the most west coast bias abomination of a 'journalist'...closely followed by Keith Jackson

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2014, 07:23 PM
What are these Scottish fitba journalists you talk of? :dunno: Didnae ken there wis any. All I ever see is a load of psychophantic slavering fools who'll print what ever pish will best sell their comics nae matter how far from reality it actually is.

What papers do you read Dan?

marinello59
08-01-2014, 07:30 PM

Here's how it works. If we agree with what they say then they are obviously insightful, smart and independent thinkers. If we disagree then they are deluded dullards slavishly following some one else's agenda. :greengrin

greenpaper55
08-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Rob Robertson is a decent reporter , last read him last week in the Mail but he was an express reporter for a few years, also a good Hibby !.

heretoday
08-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Bob Crampsey R.I.P.

PatHead
08-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Mye favirit is Derek Ferguson whean he is ruporting un gaimes of The Rangers. Balunced and insisiv

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Mye favirit is Derek Ferguson whean he is ruporting un gaimes of The Rangers. Balunced and insisiv

I always laugh at his match reports (no matter who he's reporting on) - it always sounds like he's reading out something someone's written for him.

Blocks Biloxi
08-01-2014, 08:46 PM
It's a shame that even the Guardian has that absolute plum Ewan Murray as their Scottish fitba correspondent.

Let's petition Hugh McIlvanney to start writing about the game north of the border again.

PatHead
08-01-2014, 08:48 PM
I always laugh at his match reports (no matter who he's reporting on) - it always sounds like he's reading out something someone's written for him.

Big assumption that he can read. I think someone is whispering the report and he is repeating it out loud. God knows how he got a job.

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Big assumption that he can read. I think someone is whispering the report and he is repeating it out loud. God knows how he got a job.

For his inside scoops when his brother bumps into him at a Hamilton match?

Jonnyboy
08-01-2014, 11:01 PM

He's a hoot

"The boy made a good run just as the free kick was took"

:greengrin

brog
08-01-2014, 11:15 PM
The sad thing is Scotland had a great reputation for sports journalism, from McIlvanney, through Rafferty, Fairgrieve, Crampsey et al. Even our local papers were well served with Stewart Brown who though he represented the Hibs viewpoint was thoroughly professional. Now with a few honourable exceptions we're served up a non stop diet of slavish OF attention delivered in an amateurish fashion. The few who don't take the OF shilling must cringe to be associated with the likes of Keevins & Jackson.

ballengeich
08-01-2014, 11:38 PM
The few who don't take the OF shilling must cringe to be associated with the likes of Keevins & Jackson.

At one time Keevins worked for The Scotsman. The last article I saw from him was a profile of Artur Jorge who he assured us would be appointed Celtic manager the next day. When no further articles appeared from him I assumed he'd been sacked for incompetence, but no - he'd gone to a promoted post at the Daily Record.

Phil D. Rolls
09-01-2014, 08:31 AM
I find the journalists good when writing about Hibs victories. But when we lose they turn nasty and don't write such nice things. What's that all about.

The same with the telly. When we win, they show pictures of us scoring goals, and even say nice things like we are a good team. But it's not like that when we lose. They say we are rubbish and need to get better.

They are so biased to the team that wins, it's obvious they all support everyone.

Waxy
14-01-2014, 08:54 AM
This is what i mean. Why are they all siding with the yams?
I just do not get it.

Danderhall Hibs
14-01-2014, 09:17 AM
I find the journalists good when writing about Hibs victories. But when we lose they turn nasty and don't write such nice things. What's that all about.

The same with the telly. When we win, they show pictures of us scoring goals, and even say nice things like we are a good team. But it's not like that when we lose. They say we are rubbish and need to get better.

They are so biased to the team that wins, it's obvious they all support everyone.

:hilarious

Jonnyboy
14-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Anyone remember that scoop of all sports journalistic scoops when the Record had a massive backpage headline exclusive, revealing that Alan Kernaghan was the new Hibs manager?

bigwheel
14-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Kernaghan - was that the day that Tony Mowbray was announced ?? I think he was very close - seem to recall he got a job but didn't last too long somewhere else. Right enough - Great scoop though. Ha :).

bigwheel
14-01-2014, 11:00 PM

Going against most views I'm sure.....I actually like listening to Ferguson , you can tell he loves the game ...

Jonnyboy
14-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Kernaghan - was that the day that Tony Mowbray was announced ?? I think he was very close - seem to recall he got a job but didn't last too long somewhere else. Right enough - Great scoop though. Ha :).

:agree: :greengrin