PDA

View Full Version : 2022 World Cup to have it's date moved. Maybe...

Paperboy
08-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Sky Sports are saying that the FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke has revealed the 2022 Wrld cup in Qatar won't be played in the summer and instead will be held between November and January. FIFA Vice President Jim Boyce has then came out and said no decision has been made and he's shocked by Valckes comments.

Seems to be turning into a bit of a farce. What with unfinished stadiums in a poverty stricken Brazil and people dying while these stadiums are being built, FIFA haven't covered themselves in glory.

if the World Cup is held in the winter will that bring about Summer football?

down-the-slope
08-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Power Struggle

Financially the Champions League is bigger than the World Cup - and part of UEFA's kingdom....

This is all Part of FIFA trying to re-assert that it (or Sepp Blatter) is the Daddy ...... Winter World Cup will cause a Head on Battle between FIFA and UEFA.....and the views / needs of fans.....No-where to be seen as is becoming the norm

cabbageandribs1875
08-01-2014, 12:57 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25653594

Fifa has completely ruled out any prospect of the Qatar 2022 World Cup being played in the summer.
President Sepp Blatter had already said the tournament would be in November or December but organisers had still hoped to host it in June and July.

Mikey
08-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Holding it there is absolutely bonkers, but if they move it to another country they'll have to hand back their plain brown envelopes.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Maybe they could hold winter and summer games just like the other organisation of (ahem) repute - The IOC?

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Holding it there is absolutely bonkers, but if they move it to another country they'll have to hand back their plain brown envelopes.

:agree: Incredible that Qatar won that vote. Well it would've been incredible if the BBC hadn't shown FIFA up for why they are a week before the vote!

Sir David Gray
08-01-2014, 08:54 PM
No way it was ever going to be held in summer, as soon as Qatar was chosen as the host nation.

Temperatures in Doha in July can approach 50 degrees celsius which brings health concerns to people who are just wandering around for a leisurely walk, never mind for people actually competing in a professional sport!

It's ridiculous that it was given to Qatar in the first place but once the decision was made, it was never going to be anything other than a winter world cup.

I don't understand what they're even needing to discuss. It's possible that there could be serious repercussions for players' health and wellbeing if the world cup was held in Qatar in summer so I'm sure FIFA doesn't want to take that chance!

CFC1892
08-01-2014, 10:16 PM
If they want to change the World Cup date, they had better run it past my favourite oxymoron first - the FIFA Integrity Unit!

Bristolhibby
09-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Bet Australia won't be happy about this.

They were bombed out of the running for proposing a winter WC.

Lawyers on standby.

J

Salisbury Hibby
09-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Bet Australia won't be happy about this.

They were bombed out of the running for proposing a winter WC.

Lawyers on standby.

J

But their Winter is in July anyway - or am I just being daft?

VickMackie
09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
i'm sure i read that Blatter received a payment from Qatar as a 'Thank you' for the world cup but could me getting that mixed up with some of the other corruption.

Qatar is a joke. Filled with modern day slavery.

Potential dodgy land deal.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2445884/World-Cup-corruption-probe-turns-spotlight-land-deal-Cyprus.html