PDA

View Full Version : Question Should Hibs follow Hearts lead and...

RoxburghHibs
07-01-2014, 07:44 PM
..issue match attendances as the amount of tickets sold? I keep hearing them getting credit for their large attendances and feel we could also benefit from using this method? Look at their last game - from speaking to Jambos who were at the match they said no way it was 10,000 yet the official gate was over 13000 - queue the media praise. If the attendance had been announced as 9000 the media would have been saying they were walking away.

It would probably add 1000 onto our average gates - as there is always a % of season tickets who don't show.

Hibs Class
07-01-2014, 07:45 PM
No

RoxburghHibs
07-01-2014, 07:46 PM
No

Yes

Northernhibee
07-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Nope.

RoxburghHibs
07-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Nope.

Why?

Hibbyradge
07-01-2014, 07:49 PM
http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/sep2011/the_emperors_new_clothes.jpg

Hibbyradge
07-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Why don't we just make a random figure up every week?

RoxburghHibs
07-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Why don't we just make a random figure up every week?

Because that would be daft and not a factual figure.

Saorsa
07-01-2014, 07:52 PM
NO!

tamig
07-01-2014, 07:52 PM
..issue match attendances as the amount of tickets sold? I keep hearing them getting credit for their large attendances and feel we could also benefit from using this method? Look at their last game - from speaking to Jambos who were at the match they said no way it was 10,000 yet the official gate was over 13000 - queue the media praise. If the attendance had been announced as 9000 the media would have been saying they were walking away.

It would probably add 1000 onto our average gates - as there is always a % of season tickets who don't show.
Why should we care about average gate stats? That's big team thinking.

Malthibby
07-01-2014, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=Hibbyradge;3862246]http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/sep2011/the_emperors_new_clothes.jpg
:greengrinNae claethes, nae class. Not the Hibee way.

Ronniekirk
07-01-2014, 07:54 PM

It's a bit like the name of that quiz show and what hearts are in the league just now Pointless.They have nothing that we would want to copy .Lets just continue to take the Moral Hight ground and Gloat as the farcical tragedy unfolds to it's ultimate conclusion.

CB_NO3
07-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Defo no. Leave the fantasy attendances to the Old Firm and Hertz. Let the rest of us laugh at their expense.

RoxburghHibs
07-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Why should we care about average gate stats? That's big team thinking.

It's good PR not sure what it has to do with club size? Just the tickets sold figure.

Northernhibee
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Why?

Because IMO that's not honest, the attendance is there to document how many attended. It's a record of fact, not a sales figure.

RoxburghHibs
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
It's a bit like the name of that quiz show and what hearts are in the league just now Pointless.They have nothing that we would want to copy .Lets just continue to take the Moral Hight ground and Gloat as the farcical tragedy unfolds to it's ultimate conclusion.

👍

RoxburghHibs
07-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Because IMO that's not honest, the attendance is there to document how many attended. It's a record of fact, not a sales figure.

Ok fair enough - but if we are honest then it's fine? So say it's the tickets sold attendance 😀

weonlywon6-2
07-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Simple, no

If you say you have a bigger one than everyone else it will catch you out in the end:greengrin

Ronniekirk
07-01-2014, 07:58 PM
http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/sep2011/the_emperors_new_clothes.jpg
Really like the pastel colours .But why is the guy with no clothes on walking like an Egytian

RoxburghHibs
07-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Ok I've changed my mind. Let's not do this 👍

Ronniekirk
07-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Ok I've changed my mind. Let's not do this 
Common sense prevails :top marks

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Is there a reason why the attendances need to be published? If you have the money in the bank from seasons, the only important figure after that is the roll ups?

tamig
07-01-2014, 09:04 PM
It's good PR not sure what it has to do with club size? Just the tickets sold figure.

Think you missed the sarcasm! Lets leave such tactics to the OF and Hertz. Only makes them look stupid imo. Better being up front with such things.

VivaHiberņa
07-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Making up attendances (which is essentially what they're doing; not reporting how many people attend a match) is just petty. I'd be embarrassed if Hibs did this.

Hearts and the EEN don't seem to realise that they're going to look awfully daft in a few months' time when a FoI request for real attendances finds its way to a Polis Scotland desk. :wink:

mutley
08-01-2014, 09:23 AM
There should be some sort of regulation across the board, otherwise what is the point in publishing them at all? If some teams report actual attendance figures and others make it up as they go along by including tickets sold but not actual attending, it really makes the whole thing just utterly pointless doesn't it?

Purple & Green
08-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Pretendances, seem to have caught on in England and are being copied by some teams in Scotland.

I don't see the point myself, I'd rather know how many people pitched up.

andrew70
08-01-2014, 09:53 AM
As a season ticket holder who can't always make the games I'd like to see it recorded, in some way, on a Saturday given that I have already contributed.

We could perhaps give the attendance as we do just now however also state through our own official channels the actual number of tickets bought as I suspect I am not the only ST holder who regularly fails to attend.

GodisaHibee
08-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Why lower ourselves to their standards?

'Integrity' and transparency is what it should be all about.

Hermit Crab
08-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Yes

You just answered your own question. Howling thread by the way.

sparky
08-01-2014, 12:19 PM
attendance

noun
the act of attending.
the persons or number of persons present: an attendance of more than 300 veterans.

As mentioned it is a record for the history books, league stats etc. People do take interest in attendance figures whether it is a music gig or a protest march. I think is very important to have an accurate figure for people who are actually there.

If indeed Hearts and other clubs do massage the figures by counting tickets sold then there should be a disclaimer.

www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25539810

e.g. Att: 13,763*

*This figure includes non attending season ticket holders and is not to be taken as an accurate figure of actual people present.

And no Hibs should publish accurate attendance figures. Perhaps they could put the tickets sold figure on the official site.

micksoo
08-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Making up attendances (which is essentially what they're doing; not reporting how many people attend a match) is just petty. I'd be embarrassed if Hibs did this.

Hearts and the EEN don't seem to realise that they're going to look awfully daft in a few months' time when a FoI request for real attendances finds its way to a Polis Scotland desk. :wink:

Has someone not done this already? I am sure I have seen it on here somewhere. I am sure the published and police figures where the same.

Celtic and Rangers figures have been proved under FOI to be way out.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic--rangers-attendances-up-1767244

Keith_M
08-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Has someone not done this already? I am sure I have seen it on here somewhere. I am sure the published and police figures where the same.

Celtic and Rangers figures have been proved under FOI to be way out.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic--rangers-attendances-up-1767244

The writer of the article, as well as the Celtc and Rankers spokesmen, claim that it is common practice among clubs. However the article mentions three other Scottish Clubs' attendances that were checked and none of them do this.

It seems it's only Celtc, Rankers and the Yams that actually give false attendances in Scotland. It must be a Big Club thing.

micksoo
08-01-2014, 01:23 PM
The writer of the article, as well as the Celtc and Rankers spokesmen, claim that it is common practice among clubs. However the article mentions three other Scottish Clubs' attendances that were checked and none of them do this.

It seems it's only Celtc, Rankers and the Yams that actually give false attendances in Scotland. It must be a Big Club thing.

Why would they do this other than for falsified bragging rights? Unless they use these figures to sell advertising in the stadium in which case it is a bit dishonest to say the least??

Keith_M
08-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Why would they do this other than for falsified bragging rights? Unless they use these figures to sell advertising in the stadium in which case it is a bit dishonest to say the least??

No idea but it might be that, as well as a PR thing.

It's quite funny because years ago clubs were regularly accused of reporting lower attendances than actually turned up. That actually made sense in those days when all gates were shared with the visiting team.

RoxburghHibs
08-01-2014, 03:04 PM
You just answered your own question. Howling thread by the way.
Awesome

Awesome & thanks :greengrin

Hibercelona
08-01-2014, 03:08 PM
All of our attendances should end in 762.

That'll show em.

Aldo
08-01-2014, 03:14 PM
All of our attendances should end in 762. That'll show em.

Sorry but no. Should end 0762. :-D

lapsedhibee
08-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Ridiculous idea giving out the number of seats sold as attendance figures. We should give our stadium capacity as the attendance, to ensure we always have bigger attendances than The Famous. And to ensure that we have bigger attendances than the OFGTF, we should give out early 1950s ER attendances, when we had the top terracing bit (which really, actually, literally touched the sky) as our current attendances. Think that covers all possible bases :agree:.