View Full Version : Alex Thomson and the 'Celtic cancer'

06-01-2014, 12:08 PM
http://blogs.channel4.com/alex-thomsons-view/scotlands-modern-millwall-celtics-toxic-public-image/6921

Ouch.

Should be one in the eye for those who thought Thomson was a bigot only interested in going after Rangers.

06-01-2014, 12:26 PM
I wish we had a Scottish Journo that had the balls to do what he does. No doubt he'll have another Weegia roaster threatening to do him in.

Great article:agree:

ano hibby
06-01-2014, 01:21 PM
It is a very interesting read.
I follow his work on other issues and always very straightforward in his reporting.

06-01-2014, 01:32 PM
http://blogs.channel4.com/alex-thomsons-view/scotlands-modern-millwall-celtics-toxic-public-image/6921

06-01-2014, 01:38 PM
I was in Leicester for Leicester-Celtic friendly a few years ago when Martin O'Neill was in charge. They openly sang IRA chants and in doing so, really shocked and pissed off Leicester fans. I was also made aware that Celtic fans racially/religiously abused Asians/Muslims in the town before the game. Millwall is not a bad analogy. Nothing to aspire to!

VivaHiberņa
06-01-2014, 02:19 PM
I was in Leicester for Leicester-Celtic friendly a few years ago when Martin O'Neill was in charge. They openly sang IRA chants and in doing so, really shocked and pissed off Leicester fans. I was also made aware that Celtic fans racially/religiously abused Asians/Muslims in the town before the game. Millwall is not a bad analogy. Nothing to aspire to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Heybq1s79Y

06-01-2014, 02:26 PM

Well he has certainly got their number!

06-01-2014, 02:48 PM

Ouch.

Should be one in the eye for those who thought Thomson was a bigot only interested in going after Rangers.

It's a pity the headline warns the great unwashed that Thomson's on their case. I can just see their jaws drop into their Buckfast as they suddenly realise that the champion of the attack on Rangers has as much contempt for them as well.

eaststandfin
06-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Interesting read. His non-football work is excellent too.
He and Mark Daly came in to talk to my journalism class a few months ago about the Rangers story.
I always find it a bit funny when he replies to Old Firm fans giving him stick on twitter while he dodges mortar fire in Syria. Tends to put things in perspective.

06-01-2014, 04:24 PM
I wish we had a Scottish Journo that had the balls to do what he does. No doubt he'll have another Weegia roaster threatening to do him in.

Great article:agree:

As eaststandfin says Thomson can only write these things from the safety of a bunker in a war zone. The weegie media mafia would be killed were they stood - probably by each other.

06-01-2014, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure it should be called 'The Celtic Cancer', as it covers the other ars*cheek as well, but it's a good article.

It's actually just saying what fans of most other clubs have said for years, that the antics of Celtc and (The) Rangers fans has been glossed over for years in both the Scottish Media and the Football authorities.

06-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Some of the comments after the blog defy belief. ​:rolleyes:

06-01-2014, 05:44 PM

Some of them really make his point though. Spurious halfwits saying but what about what they did? Missing the point that this makes them equally repellant.

06-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Some of them really make his point though. Spurious halfwits saying but what about what they did? Missing the point that this makes them equally repellant.

The comments are better than the blog, it takes less than 10 comments before it decends into the usual tit for tat allegations. They really are a pathetic bunch.

06-01-2014, 06:12 PM

"Aye but they're pure worse than us"

"It wisnae us, a big boy did it and ran away"

"We're the pure best fans in the world so we are. 25 million in Seville."

CapitalHibs
06-01-2014, 06:21 PM
The comments are better than the blog, it takes less than 10 comments before it decends into the usual tit for tat allegations. They really are a pathetic bunch.

Reminds me of the celtc guy (cannae remember his name -the only poster I ever eventually put on ignore) used to come on here and spew how wrong our perceptions were aboot the greatest fans in the world. Erse!

VickMackie
06-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Reminds me of the celtc guy (cannae remember his name -the only poster I ever eventually put on ignore) used to come on here and spew how wrong our perceptions were aboot the greatest fans in the world. Erse!

Jack Regan? Something like that.

CapitalHibs
06-01-2014, 06:46 PM

That's the guy!

06-01-2014, 07:04 PM

Got a free transfer back to the Sweeney

06-01-2014, 08:19 PM
He was bang on the money and relentless in his pursuit of The Rangers, to the delight of Tims the country over.

That's a leveller!

The thing I've loved about his dismantling of BOTH halves of the Old Firm is that you know he's doing it without a particular axe to grind. An impartial 'GIRUY', which articulates how most non-OF fans feel about the Glasgow Cancer.

Great read.

06-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Found this in the comments section after the article.

In the recent Hibs Hearts match there was two fans seemingly fighting on the pitch when Hearts equalised as well as general disorder within the stadium itself. :confused:

Where?

07-01-2014, 07:08 AM
Found this in the comments section after the article.

In the recent Hibs Hearts match there was two fans seemingly fighting on the pitch when Hearts equalised as well as general disorder within the stadium itself. :confused:

Where?

Both hauled out and both will get bans.

Its Not quite up there with Celtics thuggery, penchance for communal alfresco pishing and stadium wrecking prowess.

07-01-2014, 07:25 AM
He is friends with Phil Macgiollabhain and appears to be pushing his agenda again.
The attacking of the Green Brigade and their behaviour is something Macgiollabhain has been doing for months along with defending Angela Haggerty who edited Macgiollabhain's book 'Downfall'.
And he is 100% correct to do so.