PDA

View Full Version : Ben Williams

18/03/07
05-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Couple good saves today,but what are peoples opinion about the linesman flagging for offside or foul.I thought he was going to get a red card for pulling back Mackay-Stevens

Billy
05-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Couple good saves today,but what are peoples opinion about the linesman flagging for offside or foul.I thought he was going to get a red card for pulling back Mackay-Stevens

The footage shows the referees assistant was correct and GMS was offside.

18/03/07
05-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Not seen any footage bud,will watch sportscene tonight

Jonnyboy
05-01-2014, 09:11 PM

Indeed. Jackie Mac claiming after the game that even though it was offside, Ben should still have been carded. He's been in the game long enough to know that once the flag went up the ball was no longer in play!

Billy
05-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Not seen any footage bud,will watch sportscene tonight

:aok: It is tight but as the ball is played, he's off.

nic81
05-01-2014, 09:20 PM
He was at fault again for their first just as he was at fault on Thursday night for the hearts goal, he is so indecisive, i'm not sure what made him come then stop for the ball, it's not as if he is tiny, and before anyone has a pop i know he has made a lot more great saves but i wish he would be more commanding in his box, first goal definitely on his shoulders today

.Sean.
05-01-2014, 09:27 PM
What time' Sportscene on?

BroxburnHibee
05-01-2014, 09:27 PM
what time' sportscene on?

bbc1 11.05

SMAXXA
05-01-2014, 10:10 PM
He was at fault again for their first just as he was at fault on Thursday night for the hearts goal, he is so indecisive, i'm not sure what made him come then stop for the ball, it's not as if he is tiny, and before anyone has a pop i know he has made a lot more great saves but i wish he would be more commanding in his box, first goal definitely on his shoulders today

I agree but not seen it again since the game but certainly of the opinion he was at fault seeing it live

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Some terrific saves again today but collectively the goals we gave away were poor, but for Williams, these are blips

cleanyman
05-01-2014, 10:29 PM
How lucky was Ben there.....

cleanyman
05-01-2014, 10:32 PM
The first goal looks even worse on the highlights.

Itsnoteasy
06-01-2014, 05:54 AM

Totally agree

Pete
06-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Surpise surpise. More negative garbage from some who like a dig or two.

If you watched hibs regularly you wouldn't dare criticise Ben Williams. Any mistakes he makes pale into insignificance when compared to all the positives he brings.

He's the best keeper we have had in years and one of the best in the league. End of discussion unless someone is willing to fork out for Asmir Begovic.

Pete
06-01-2014, 06:35 AM

Are you seriously saying he was at fault for the hearts goal?

Is this because he saved a shot and the ball broke back to a hear7s player?

I despair.

Pete
06-01-2014, 06:45 AM
I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with pointing out when he makes mistakes. There's no harm in that - all keepers do. I don't think anyone could really argue that he is the best keeper we could hope for at this level and we're really lucky to have him. I think most people recognise that he's saved us many more goals than he has cost us, it's just that when a keeper makes a mistake it gets highlighted more because it often results in a goal. Williams is definitely the best keeper I've seen at Hibs though and for our sake I really really hope he extends his stay with us. :agree::thumbsup:

If it's the general consensus that all goalies make mistakes and that he's the best we have had for a long time then I see no reason for pointing out mistakes he makes. Such analysis and observations achieve nothing. All keepers make the odd mistake, end of.

For some to try and attach a specific negative trait to the man, such as "so indecisive", is out of order.

RyeSloan
06-01-2014, 06:47 AM
Are you seriously saying he was at fault for the hearts goal? Is this because he saved a shot and the ball broke back to a hear7s player? I despair.

Why despair? It was a poor stop from a shot that should never have bounced away from him so far.

Sure the defending leading up to it was crap and Nelson's effort was shocking but Ben is the last line of defence and if he had held that shot or at least turned it away from the front of the goal the danger would ah be been averted so aye I would say he was at fault for the hearts goal...as I said not just down to him but he played his part.

Ben's a gid keeper though and will save us many more points than he costs us and sure the vast majority of the support will be delighted when he signs a contract extension.

AndyB_70
06-01-2014, 07:03 AM
I have to admit he is prone to the odd mistake but the best keeper we have since Daniel Anderson. I also thought he could have done better with the shot that lead to the Yams scoring and where was he going when United punted the ball up the park? The situation was under control and if he had stayed back he could have got an easy header back. Minor mistakes but both lead to losing goals. I'd rather have him in our goal than McDonald any day of the week.

Hibby Kay-Yay
06-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Ben's a great keeper with flaws. Which falls into the category of what we can afford. A faultless keeper??? 1st, they don't exist, 2nd we can't afford them.

Straight forward enough for me.

Hibby Kay-Yay
06-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Ben's a great keeper with flaws. Which falls into the category of what we can afford. A faultless keeper??? 1st, they don't exist, 2nd we can't afford them.

Straight forward enough for me.

MyJo
06-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Why despair? It was a poor stop from a shot that should never have bounced away from him so far.

Sure the defending leading up to it was crap and Nelson's effort was shocking but Ben is the last line of defence and if he had held that shot or at least turned it away from the front of the goal the danger would ah be been averted so aye I would say he was at fault for the hearts goal...as I said not just down to him but he played his part.

Ben's a gid keeper though and will save us many more points than he costs us and sure the vast majority of the support will be delighted when he signs a contract extension.

Williams also had the second shot covered and would have saved that had McGivern not got in the way and kicked it in a different direction. We would have been talking about it as an outstanding double save rather than criticising him for allowing a ball to get to a hearts player who got lucky when McGivern scored his goal for him.

Saorsa
06-01-2014, 08:11 AM

Straight forward enough for me.:agree: Best we've had in years, done a great job here, sure he makes mistakes (which keeper disnae) but he's saved us far mair than he's cost us. If there's any new contracts being handed out one should be in his direction IMO.

I'm only agreeing with you once though. :wink:

mutley
06-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Williams also had the second shot covered and would have saved that had McGivern not got in the way and kicked it in a different direction. We would have been talking about it as an outstanding double save rather than criticising him for allowing a ball to get to a hearts player who got lucky when McGivern scored his goal for him.You beat me to it, that's exactly the way I saw it. Smiths rebound shot would have been directly at Williams and I believe he would have saved it. McGiverns deflection scored the goal, not Smith.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Williams makes some real howlers at times, and the hear7s goal was another. He spilled a weak shot back out to the player whose shot was then deflected into the net.

How anyone can say that was not a poor goal for a keeper to lose is beyond me, he should have saved and held the initial shot. :confused:

He is also responsible for some of the best saves i have seen a Hibs keeper make, and is generally a very decent keeper for us, and one i hope signs another deal with the club.

Swedish hibee
06-01-2014, 09:06 AM
If Ben Williams walks away this summer- I will be truly gutted.

B.H.F.C
06-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Williams makes some real howlers at times, and the hear7s goal was another. He spilled a weak shot back out to the player whose shot was then deflected into the net.

How anyone can say that was not a poor goal for a keeper to lose is beyond me, he should have saved and held the initial shot. :confused:

He is also responsible for some of the best saves i have seen a Hibs keeper make, and is generally a very decent keeper for us, and one i hope signs another deal with the club.

That about sums things up for me. He makes a few howlers here and there but is also capable of being brilliant.

We would struggle to get someone better than him for the wages we pay. I just sometimes wonder if Murdoch is pushing him enough? I don't think Williams has missed a competitive game since he came to the club, even against the likes of Stranraer in the league cup.

The Sea-gull
06-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Ben is a good keeper, I know not the best acolade to give anyone but he is the best we have had in over ten years and for me, only behind Rough, Goram, Leighton and about level with Budgie, Colgan and Anderson for keepers we have had in the last 30 odd years.

His one flaw is that, when he makes a howler, they do tend to be of the comic variety. Luckily we have not really been punished too much as a result of his howlers but he does seem to have more than his share of questionable moments.

He also has to carry the heavy "another dodgy Hibs goalie" tag any time something goes wrong. This has first came our way courtesy of Simon Brown and then Zibby. After that McNeil joined the ranks followed swiftly by Makalamby. Graeme Smith and Mark Borwn did not cover themselves in glory either.

We are stick with the tag until we have a spell of a few keepers who are near perfect in terms of errors. Could be a while in coming.

Purehibee_MYB
06-01-2014, 09:33 AM
That about sums things up for me. He makes a few howlers here and there but is also capable of being brilliant.

We would struggle to get someone better than him for the wages we pay. I just sometimes wonder if Murdoch is pushing him enough? I don't think Williams has missed a competitive game since he came to the club, even against the likes of Stranraer in the league cup.

He was rested for the replayed fixture at killie at the end of last season before the Scottish cup final

Sent from my C1505 using Tapatalk

lucky
06-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Williams was at fault for the hearts goal and Uniteds 1st goal. Both silly mistakes but he is still a top keeper in the Scottish premiership

The Harp
06-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Don't think there's much doubt that Ben's the best keeper we've had in years. Pretty sure the times he's come to our rescue far out-weigh the few errors of judgement he's made. If he were to move on we'd struggle to land someone as reliable as he's been IMO.

--------
06-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Indeed. Jackie Mac claiming after the game that even though it was offside, Ben should still have been carded. He's been in the game long enough to know that once the flag went up the ball was no longer in play!

That's true, John.

But Jackie Mac played for Celtic - is that rule the same for them as for the rest of us?

Though when I saw the incident on Sportscene, I did find myself wondering what the reaction on the net would have been if Zibi or Maka had been the goalie ... :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
06-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Williams also had the second shot covered and would have saved that had McGivern not got in the way and kicked it in a different direction. We would have been talking about it as an outstanding double save rather than criticising him for allowing a ball to get to a hearts player who got lucky when McGivern scored his goal for him.

Really more like he recovered after needlessly spilling the first shot. A very good goalie however the mistake in the derby was IMO very poor and could easily have swung the game.

JimBHibees
06-01-2014, 04:13 PM

Agree completely.

nic81
06-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Glad to see I'm not alone on my thoughts

jonty
07-01-2014, 06:40 AM
Alternatively McGivern was at fault for not clearing the ball, just redirecting the ball from its path. Ben had it covered in both instances?