PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen on Friday

yeezus.
05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Alright folks, are many of you heading up to Aberdeen on Friday? I highly recommend the St. Machar bar if you are, they serve a cracking pint and have over 100 malts.

P.S. Will there be space for my Stranraer Hibee flag?

Andy

BroxburnHibee
05-01-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm certainly tempted but since I'll have to leave straight after work it will be straight to the ground for me

Chuck Rhoades
05-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Will be a poor crowd. An expensive New Year has just passed and it's ridiculously on a Friday night, whilst being on TV.

I can't get away from work early enough to make it. Sure others will be in a similar boat.

GoldenEagle
05-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Will be a poor crowd. An expensive New Year has just passed and it's ridiculously on a Friday night, whilst being on TV.

I can't get away from work early enough to make it. Sure others will be in a similar boat.

Perhaps from an away support perspective but there will be 10k+ Aberdeen fans there.

mutley
05-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Well, I went via Dundee in the way back up north, so next weekend I may as well go via Aberdeen on the way home, so I'll be there

marinello59
05-01-2014, 08:35 PM

If you look back on here it was thought by many that if we had to shift kick off times due to televised games then a Friday night game was the best solution. Motherwell away was a cracking night, one of the best away trips we had under Fenlon. Somebody will have to travel further than they like at times though, it ain't going to suit everybody. Let's be honest though, we haven't had a decent sized crowd up there for a while regardless of when it is played.

BroxburnHibee
05-01-2014, 08:40 PM
If you look back on here it was thought by many that if we had to shift kick off times due to televised games then a Friday night game was the best solution. Motherwell away was a cracking night, one of the best away trips we had under Fenlon. Somebody will have to travel further than they like at times though, it ain't going to suit everybody. Let's be honest though, we haven't had a decent sized crowd up there for a while regardless of when it is played.

I think Friday night football is a great idea - much rather that than Sunday at any time.

yeezus.
05-01-2014, 09:19 PM
I think Friday night football is a great idea - much rather that than Sunday at any time.

When I was in the Granite city, Aberdeen played Dunfermline on a Friday night - it was a cracking game and a decent atmosphere.

Northernhibee
05-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Hopefully the lads will get their fish and chips after the game from The Bay in Stonehaven - cracking fish supper from there every time :thumbsup:

BroxburnHibee
05-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Hopefully the lads will get their fish and chips after the game from The Bay in Stonehaven - cracking fish supper from there every time :thumbsup:

Thought they stopped the Hibs buses going into Stonehaven nowadays :greengrin

bongo'd
05-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Spot on. Last time I remember a decent turnout was in a Scottish Cup replay, won on penalties. I was still young then though so my memory may be playing tricks on me ;)

Jonnyboy
05-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Spot on. Last time I remember a decent turnout was in a Scottish Cup replay, won on penalties. I was still young then though so my memory may be playing tricks on me ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSlja_dfsY

tetley
05-01-2014, 09:27 PM
I'll be there, looking forward to the game, the Derby was my first experience of an evening kick off

Chuck Rhoades
05-01-2014, 09:46 PM

Friday nights are great at Motherwell and the likes. Aberdeen is a good hour beyond what it takes to Well.

I'd be able to make Well away.

yeezus.
06-01-2014, 11:32 AM
I'll be there, looking forward to the game, the Derby was my first experience of an evening kick off

:aok: hope you enjoy it, was at Pittodrie last when Doyle scored a screamer but we lost 2-1

Pretty Boy
06-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I like the Friday night kick offs and would normally have gone up for this one.

Unfortunately i'll be down at the girlfriends parents in England and i'm not sure 'I want to go to the Hibs game' is a good enough excuse to get out of it.

The Sea-gull
06-01-2014, 11:58 AM
I like the idea of Friday night KOs though have not been able to make any of ours yet due to work/family/financial reasons.

Can't see me going to a Friday night game in the winter unless I'm making a bit of a day out of it, going for a couple of pints before hand etc.

Would like us to get a Friday night home fixture but as yet Edinburgh does not appear to have had one between us and the Yams. Don't see why though if they can have a NY derby on a holiday kicking off at night, two years running now.

Hermit Crab
06-01-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm going. Up and back on the bus.

yeezus.
06-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Anyone else taking their flags up? :flag:

Hermit Crab
06-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Anyone else taking their flags up? :flag:

A word of warning matey, the last time I took my flag up to Aberdeen they refused to let me in with it. It's nothing offensive just a 15X8ft flag green and white St. Andrew's Cross with hibs 1875 on tour on it. Reason given was that club had decided to ban flags. The same rules applied for home fans also.

I'd get in touch with Aberdeen to see if it's ok, it will save you carrying all the way up just to get refused at the turnstile.

yeezus.
06-01-2014, 03:02 PM
A word of warning matey, the last time I took my flag up to Aberdeen they refused to let me in with it. It's nothing offensive just a 15X8ft flag green and white St. Andrew's Cross with hibs 1875 on tour on it. Reason given was that club had decided to ban flags. The same rules applied for home fans also.

I'd get in touch with Aberdeen to see if it's ok, it will save you carrying all the way up just to get refused at the turnstile.

Ah right, I had no idea - thanks for the warning I'll need to get in touch with them. :aok:

VivaHiberña
06-01-2014, 05:29 PM
The Aberdeen Uni Hibs-supporting contingent should be there in force; there are loads of us up there, we're almost like a plague. It's brilliant. :greengrin

eaststandfin
06-01-2014, 05:37 PM
I'll be there with bells on. Taking an ex-Aberdeen player's son along for the experience.
Looking forward to a decent pre-game drink. Recommendations for other good boozers?

Hermit Crab
06-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I'll be there with bells on. Taking an ex-Aberdeen player's son along for the experience.
Looking forward to a decent pre-game drink. Recommendations for other good boozers?

Saltoun arms is ok.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2014, 06:06 PM
I highly recommend the ST. MACHAR bar

Does it have a special selection of slippers on the top shelf?

kaimendhibs
06-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Want to go but start at 0500 Saturday morning for work

Sent from my iphone

Frazerbob
06-01-2014, 06:40 PM

The Illicit Still is a cracking pub and does great scran.....the manager's no a bad lad either :wink:

yeezus.
06-01-2014, 08:29 PM

My advice would be to try and avoid the Red Lion. The Pittodrie bar is okay but I've never been in when Hibs were playing Aberdeen.

Jonnyboy
06-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Does it have a special selection of slippers on the top shelf?

:faf: :top marks

Ronniekirk
06-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Can't go skint again too expensive at this time of year .I have been up there a few times in recent years and agree support not great .On a cold Friday night wrap up warm it will be Baltic .Its a long trip back on a cold night if we don't win and the Sheep Support bleat on and on and you will get Fleeced at the catering .Then the Police Pen you in . baa

DanTheMan
07-01-2014, 12:12 AM
My brother and I are going. Leaving about 3:30 and going to go for food somewhere up there. Looking forward to it.

Kojock
07-01-2014, 10:04 AM
4 of us going up. Staying overnight at the Park Inn Hote. Got a great deal B&B for £20 each.

yeezus.
07-01-2014, 11:47 AM
FLAGS

Just off the phone with Aberdeen and Hibernian football club and both say I can't take the flag :rolleyes:

Squealing pig
07-01-2014, 01:02 PM
4 of us going up. Staying overnight at the Park Inn Hote. Got a great deal B&B for £20 each.

Bring your bleach for the showers lol

DAVE1875
07-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Making the long, long trip down from Ellon with my dad. Have College on friday which kinda puts me on a tight-ish schedule

Sergey
07-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Craig 'Jambo' Thomson :fuming:

Aldo
07-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Dear dear. Pawlett penalty anyone??

Fife-Hibee
07-01-2014, 03:57 PM

That is a good deal :-) no bad hotel !

DAVE1875
07-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Dear dear. Pawlett penalty anyone??

Yep, with the closest Hibs player being five feet away, a strong gust of wind from the north sea will send Peter "Tom Daley" Pawlett crumbling to the deck and the incompetent fool of a referee pointing to the spot

:rolleyes:

yeezus.
07-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Bloody hell here's me looking forward to the game! :rolleyes:

Viva_Palmeiras
07-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Says Donny to his mates...

See a' these roads between Dundee and Ayberdeen min - ah built a' these roads bit dae they ca' me Donny the road-builder? Naw!

See a' these hooses between Dundee and Ayberdeen min - ah built a' these hooses bit dae they ca' me Donny the hoose-builder? Naw!

Ah **** ONE sheep min!

Fife-Hibee
07-01-2014, 04:15 PM

See a' these roads between Dundee and Ayberdeen min - ah built a' these roads bit dae they ca' me Donny the road-builder? Naw!

See a' these hooses between Dundee and Ayberdeen min - ah built a' these hooses bit dae they ca' me Donny the hoose-builder? Naw!

Ah **** ONE sheep min!

Lol

Keith_M
07-01-2014, 04:38 PM
I've never understood why Hibs take such a poor support to Pittodrie*. I used to really enjoy the trip, usually stopping at Forfar on the way up and maybe Dundee/Perth on the way back.

First ever visit was fantastic..right up until the game started. We played them straight after their Gothenburg heroics and thought we would be in with a chance as they would be tired. The 500 or so Hibbies in the roughly 22,000 attendance applauded them onto the pitch. They promptly slaughtered us 5-0.... ungrateful sods.

* Obviously Friday evening is a different matter entirely.

JimBHibees
07-01-2014, 04:43 PM
I've never understood why Hibs take such a poor support to Pittodrie*. I used to really enjoy the trip, usually stopping at Forfar on the way up and maybe Dundee/Perth on the way back.

First ever visit was fantastic..right up until the game started. We played them straight after their Gothenburg heroics and thought we would be in with a chance as they would be tired. The 500 or so Hibbies in the roughly 22,000 attendance applauded them onto the pitch. They promptly slaughtered us 5-0.... ungrateful sods.

I think the lack of support has been the almost constant use of this game as a live tv match usually at midday either Saturday or Sunday. If it was 3pm this Saturday I would assume Hibs would have taken a very decent support. Agree can remember it being a great trip on a bus years ago, usually left about 9 to get into Stonehaven for opening time then stop somewhere like Perth on way back. :party:

yeezus.
07-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Can't beat a Forfar bridie on the way up :aok:

mutley
07-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Yep, with the closest Hibs player being five feet away, a strong gust of wind from the north sea will send Peter "Tom Daley" Pawlett crumbling to the deck and the incompetent fool of a referee pointing to the spot

:rolleyes:

You forgot to mention the supposed foul will be outside the box too!

yeezus.
08-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Really looking forward to this one now - heading up a day early for the banter in Old Aberdeen

:flag:

TRC
08-01-2014, 09:01 PM
one of the first away games I went to must of been 12-13 got on the bus stopped at a few pubs on the way nothing unusual in that. so get to game just after kick off Baltic as ever in the away end. then went to get home bus driver was AWOL no one had a mobile couldn't ring anyone guys organising the bus eventually got another bus to take us home a bit later than the 9pm I'd promised mother dearest. so scuttle in at bout 12.30am mother going radge, this time wasn't my fault. game was 1-1 I think and rubbish. to this day don't know what happened to the driver! mum never let me go to another away game all year. still never been back!

yeezus.
08-01-2014, 09:14 PM
one of the first away games I went to must of been 12-13 got on the bus stopped at a few pubs on the way nothing unusual in that. so get to game just after kick off Baltic as ever in the away end. then went to get home bus driver was AWOL no one had a mobile couldn't ring anyone guys organising the bus eventually got another bus to take us home a bit later than the 9pm I'd promised mother dearest. so scuttle in at bout 12.30am mother going radge, this time wasn't my fault. game was 1-1 I think and rubbish. to this day don't know what happened to the driver! mum never let me go to another away game all year. still never been back!

Your experience sounds better than my first away day at Pittodrie - I was there for the 4-2 defeat under Colin Calderwood. Pretty sure Hibs were wearing my favourite "Mynt" third kit!

Sir David Gray
08-01-2014, 09:18 PM

That really is a joke.

I know we won the last time he took charge of a Hibs game but I'm sure he'll do all he can to ensure a home win is on the cards.

Craig_in_Prague
08-01-2014, 09:27 PM
wont be watching with him the Ref.

Haymaker
08-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Is the Hibs end all ticket? My brother should be docked in Aberdeen early doors and might get down to the game.

yeezus.
08-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Is the Hibs end all ticket? My brother should be docked in Aberdeen early doors and might get down to the game.

Pay at the gate.

Haymaker
08-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Pay at the gate.

Cheers pal!

yeezus.
08-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Cheers pal!

:aok: no bother, I got mine through Aberdeen ticket office early forgetting it was a Friday night!

Hermit Crab
08-01-2014, 10:58 PM
:aok: no bother, I got mine through Aberdeen ticket office early forgetting it was a Friday night!

300 hibbys if we're lucky. Although I'm going its a ridiculous fixture to show on tv on a Friday night.

Jones28
09-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Ah **** ONE sheep min!

Gid one!

Jones28
09-01-2014, 10:20 AM
My first experience of Todders was through an uncle who was driving a supporters bus up. That is, an Aberdeen supporters bus. So we decided to go along and got promptly humped 4-1.

Aside from any defeat tynecastle I think thats probably been my worst away day experience. Freezing cold, real *****hole of a stadium, no Hibs related banter there or back and I think I had school the next day as well.

yeezus.
09-01-2014, 10:51 AM
300 hibbys if we're lucky. Although I'm going its a ridiculous fixture to show on tv on a Friday night.

Thought we might have taken more than that but I guess most people will struggle to leave work early

oconnors_strip
09-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Was planning on going but have been in my sick bed all week, so thank god the match is on TV!

Geo_1875
09-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Was planning on going but have been in my sick bed all week, so thank god the match is on TV!

Part-timer :)

oconnors_strip
09-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Part-timer :)

I have been this season, but unfortunately my health comes first. Will be cheering from my sick bed :)