PDA

View Full Version : Locked out the net

Woody70x2
05-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Why? Thought logged in .net users were okay?

Dan Sarf
05-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Me too! It's back now though thank goodness.

Thought I was going to have a heart attack! :fuming:

leemel
me also ?????

DaveF
Registered users were locked out for a short spell due to sheer volume of people on here.

Weststandwanab
05-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Why? Thought logged in .net users were okay? Me too. We were two up as I was locked out and disappointed to see we drew 2 each after I got back in ! Still the glass of Vintage Port went down very well as I read the Hear7s going down today.

Sergey
Registered users were locked out for a short spell due to sheer volume of people on here.

The little iSpy function is worth the £10 annual membership alone :agree:

Mikey
We were getting database errors because of the number of users online so cut it right back to Private Members only.

hibeeleicester
Make sure everyone pays £10 now!

Glory Lurker
05-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Yup. I got locked out when I tried to post a comment. I just assumed that at long last the admins had installed a quality control system on posts.

Weststandwanab
Registered users were locked out for a short spell due to sheer volume of people on here. It would have been handy to have warning of that possibility

Mikey

The i-spy feature was freely available on the match update thread but people just won't use it!

scotiaf
05-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Yes I was kicked to the curb also

O'Rourke3
05-01-2014, 04:12 PM
First time I'd used iSpy "in all my days as a member" far better than faster than the BBC where nothing happened in the game for 7 minutes, including DU having a goal chalked off. My £10 is probably due later this month too....

BarneyK

I-Spy isn't a PM thing. I'm not a PM and got logged out whilst on I-Spy. Having to rely on the BBC, I mean come on... :boo hoo:

Mikey
So people logged on were bumped for people logging on?
Can understand it if it's private members getting on but how is it decided who gets turfed?

Nope. It was cut back to PM's only.

DaveF
05-01-2014, 04:13 PM
It would have been handy to have warning of that possibility

It would have been, but unfortunately it's not really possible. When the volume of users is so high, immediate action is needed.

It's not ideal, but that's the way it is.

Dan Sarf
The i-spy feature was freely available on the match update thread but people just won't use it!

Sorry, but I use it all the time - it's brilliant - but I couldn't access it towards the end of the game!!!!! Nor the main forum.

Deeply upsetting. I thought I'd been banned. :paranoid:

Jones28
I was too, all sorted?

Mikey
05-01-2014, 04:14 PM

This isn't about conning £10 out of people, it's about making sure the site didn't fall over.

iwasthere1972
05-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Can understand it if it's private members getting on but how is it decided who gets turfed?

I was locked out. Hope nobody with a lesser post count than me wasn't locked out. :hnet:

Weststandwanab
05-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Make sure everyone pays £10 now! Not me. Last time this happened I donated the money - to costs of running the server - but I did not request Private Membership whatever that is.

DaveF
05-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Not me. Last time this happened I donated the money - to costs of running the server - but I did not request Private Membership whatever that is.

You did indeed but you also refused private membership which is entirely your choice. If you'd taken the PM option then you wouldn't have been kicked off earlier today.

Dan Sarf
05-01-2014, 04:22 PM
This isn't about conning £10 out of people, it's about making sure the site didn't fall over.

Fair enough.

Pretty Boy
05-01-2014, 04:24 PM

It's not about making sure everyone pays a tenner, it's about ensuring the site continues to run. No one wants us offline for several hours.

ColintonHibs
05-01-2014, 04:41 PM
How do I upgrade the £10

Mikey
05-01-2014, 04:49 PM
How do I upgrade the £10

Here..........

http://www.hibs.net/payments.php

Weststandwanab
05-01-2014, 05:08 PM
We were getting database errors because of the number of users online so cut it right back to Private Members only. Dare I ask why as someone who knows nothing about databases ?

Can understand it if it's private members getting on but how is it decided who gets turfed? Controversial or what ?

It would have been, but unfortunately it's not really possible. When the volume of users is so high, immediate action is needed.

It's not ideal, but that's the way it is. When yu say not real" does that mean it is but.......

This isn't about conning £10 out of people, it's about making sure the site didn't fall over. The poster did not us the word conn ! they typed pay

I was locked out. Hope nobody with a lesser post count than me wasn't locked out. :hnet: I do

You did indeed but you also refused private membership which is entirely your choice. If you'd taken the PM option then you wouldn't have been kicked off earlier today. With respect, I did not refuse, I declined primarily because it was less than crystal clear what the benefits were.

hibeeleicester
05-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Dare I ask why as someone who knows nothing about databases ?

Controversial or what ?

When yu say not real" does that mean it is but.......

The poster did not us the word conn ! they typed pay

I do

With respect, I did not refuse, I declined primarily because it was less than crystal clear what the benefits were.

Thank you :agree:

DaveF
05-01-2014, 06:01 PM
With respect, I did not refuse, I declined primarily because it was less than crystal clear what the benefits were.

refuse \ decline - Is there any difference?

It's not less than clear, if you take a few minutes to look for the info. Or even ask an Admin and they would direct you to it.

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?5-support-hibs-net

Weststandwanab
05-01-2014, 06:33 PM
refuse \ decline - Is there any difference?

It's not less than clear, if you take a few minutes to look for the info. Or even ask an Admin and they would direct you to it.

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?5-support-hibs-net Of course there is a difference if they were the same they would be called the same thing.
I did not refuse to join the PM club I just declined to do so based on the little information I had at that time but was content to contribute to the server costs.

Many thanks for the link I will look at it

McSwanky
05-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Of course there is a difference if they were the same they would be called the same thing.

Sorry for being pedantic, but from where I'm sitting, to decline is to refuse (albeit politely) so by declining you are refusing.

Jonnyboy
05-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Of course there is a difference if they were the same they would be called the same thing.
I did not refuse to join the PM club I just declined to do so based on the little information I had at that time but was content to contribute to the server costs.

It's not a 'club' although in the not so distant past some folk were trying to make it it was a secret society or something

Saorsa
05-01-2014, 07:52 PM
It's not a 'club' although in the not so distant past some folk were trying to make it it was a secret society or somethingIs it no? ****sake, that's the reason I joined :grr:

Jonnyboy
05-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Is it no? ****sake, that's the reason I joined :grr:

:faf:

Gettin' Auld
05-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Oh well. I couldn't access the site for a while and now i know why.

No big deal really.......:aok:

Weststandwanab
05-01-2014, 07:56 PM
What.
I asked a question and it was answered, the board was kept open to private members only due to the heavy traffic.
That's understandable.
Didn't mean to sound off about it just asked the question. I thought it was a very reasonable question. Did you get an answer from ......

Sorry for being pedantic, but from where I'm sitting, to decline is to refuse (albeit politely) so by declining you are refusing.No apology required.

From where I sit to refuse is absolute whereas to decline is conditional.

For example I refuse to ever be a Jambo under any circumstances but I would decline going to match at the PBS

Danderhall Hibs
05-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Sorry for being pedantic, but from where I'm sitting, to decline is to refuse (albeit politely) so by declining you are refusing.

Refuse sounds much more final to me, much more definite. Whereas decline could be a not just now thanks, maybe later.

Weststandwanab
05-01-2014, 08:32 PM
It's not a 'club' although in the not so distant past some folk were trying to make it it was a secret society or something Apologies, if it is not a club what should I refer to it as ?

Is it no? ****sake, that's the reason I joined :grr: Brilliant http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Refuse sounds much more final to me, much more definite. Whereas decline could be a not just now thanks, maybe later. Thank you the voice of reason.

FranckSuzy
05-01-2014, 08:40 PM

I thought it was a very reasonable question. Did you get an answer from ......

No apology required.

From where I sit to refuse is absolute whereas to decline is conditional.

For example I refuse to ever be a Jambo under any circumstances but I would decline going to match at the PBS

Me too. We were two up as I was locked out and disappointed to see we drew 2 each after I got back in ! Still the glass of Vintage Port went down very well as I read the Hear7s going down today.

It would have been handy to have warning of that possibility

Not me. Last time this happened I donated the money - to costs of running the server - but I did not request Private Membership whatever that is.

Dare I ask why as someone who knows nothing about databases ?

Controversial or what ?

When yu say not real" does that mean it is but.......

The poster did not us the word conn ! they typed pay

I do

Apologies, if it is not a club what should I refer to it as ?

Brilliant http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Thank you the voice of reason.

You hate a wee multi-quote, eh? :wink: :greengrin

Jonnyboy
05-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Apologies, if it is not a club what should I refer to it as ?

Brilliant http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Thank you the voice of reason.

It's name would be a good idea

DaveF
05-01-2014, 08:42 PM
C'mon FS - Get it right :greengrin

You

hate

a

wee

multi

-

eh

FranckSuzy
05-01-2014, 08:44 PM
C'mon FS - Get it right :greengrin

:tee hee: :top marks

Weststandwanab
05-01-2014, 09:13 PM
It's name would be a good idea Okay dokey, for the avoidance of doubt what is the correct term for the £10 preferential organisation ?

I will refer to it as that in the future if the subject rears its head.

DaveF
05-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Okay dokey, for the avoidance of doubt what is the correct term for the £10 preferential organisation ?

If it does, I'm sure you'll be all over it :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll go along with your daft game for a little longer.

It's called

Private

Membership

and one of the benefits is that it get's you access to (though you declined or refused it)

The

Private

Members

Forum

Jonnyboy
05-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Okay dokey, for the avoidance of doubt what is the correct term for the £10 preferential organisation ?

Think DaveF has answered above

McSwanky
05-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Look it up in the Oxford English folks, I just did!

Hibercelona
05-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Could it not be made that so whenever the server becomes over loaded, users are automatically redirected to i-spy?

Weststandwanab
05-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Think DaveF has answered above I concur but I did not start this thread and most certainly will not be all over it or play any daft games when we non "The Private Members Forum" is mentioned again.

Capisce ?

That aside I am not adverse to contributing to the server costs out with "The Private Members Forum"

easty
05-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Could it not be made that so whenever the server becomes over loaded, users are automatically redirected to i-spy?

I'd suggest random blackouts where non preferred club .netters are kicked off. 3 or 4 times a week. That'll keep them in their place. :wink:

Mikey
05-01-2014, 09:48 PM
That sounds a reasonable proposition if it's practicable.

Sadly it aint.

Today was a rare "perfect storm". There was no live coverage and no open mics so people were relying on .net for their updates. That means a lot of people refreshing the page almost as soon as it's loaded and that's not good when we've got around 4000 people online.

The server only uses a fraction of its capabilities 99.9% of the time but it needs all the oomph it can provide towards the end of an away game, so that's roughly once a fortnight. It's coped fine in the last few years but the load today was exceptional, partly because of the recent upturn in fortunes on the park.

And yes, we will be doing something about it :wink:

down-the-slope
05-01-2014, 09:54 PM
This will happen again.......Given the resurgent interest in all things Hibs :greengrin such as late on Friday night coming (away at Aberdeen with it being hard for many to go)......last hour of the transfer window is always a bandwidth crusher....:wink:

I'm kind of glad we are having this issue...its a sign of progress...unless your an admin or have the (electronic) door slammed in your face :tee hee:

Mikey
05-01-2014, 09:58 PM
This will happen again.......Given the resurgent interest in all things Hibs :greengrin such as late on Friday night coming (away at Aberdeen with it being hard for many to go)......last hour of the transfer window is always a bandwidth crusher....:wink:

I'm kind of glad we are having this issue...its a sign of progress...unless your an admin or have the (electronic) door slammed in your face :tee hee:

Friday night will be fine because it's on TV and probably Radio Scotland too.

down-the-slope
05-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Friday night will be fine because it's on TV and probably Radio Scotland too.

:aok: good point....thats why you are an Admin :not worth

So just transfer deadline day to worry about then :greengrin

Jonnyboy
05-01-2014, 10:19 PM
I concur but I did not start this thread and most certainly will not be all over it or play any daft games when we non "The Private Members Forum" is mentioned again.

Capisce ?

That aside I am not adverse to contributing to the server costs out with "The Private Members Forum"

Any need. You called it a club. I said it isn't. You asked me what you should call it. I told you

Just Alf
05-01-2014, 10:58 PM
A year or so ago I was told that iSpy was a "good thing" because it lessened the chance of a server over load and if one happened, non registered folks would be bumped then as a last resort, ...... Then registered, but non PM, folks would go the same way if things were still going pear shaped, leaving the PM bods with access.... I signed up to stop being bumped and for many months never even noticed there was a PM board... Surely if it's not your bag than don't click on it?

cabbageandribs1875
06-01-2014, 02:01 PM
i've had a few database errors this morning

HiBremian
06-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Cannae get ma heid roond people complaining.

.net costs to keep going. Admins offer people a chance to help keep it going with PMs. People who value keeping .net going pay a tenner a year. People who dont might lose the service sometimes.

Seems 100% fair to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Mikey
06-01-2014, 08:04 PM
i've had a few database errors this morning

Our hosts carried out a server upgrade without (properly) telling us!

Sanger
06-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Why? Thought logged in .net users were okay?
I hear it was a test of Hibs net's new filters which blocks negative vibe from getting through!

The_Todd
07-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Cannae get ma heid roond people complaining.

.net costs to keep going. Admins offer people a chance to help keep it going with PMs. People who value keeping .net going pay a tenner a year. People who dont might lose the service sometimes.

Seems 100% fair to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

This. People whining that a website that's essentially provided to them for free wasn't available for a bit. Website was swamped by people wanting on. It happens. Deal with it. It's not like it was a life threatening situation.

Mikey
07-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Our hosts carried out a pretty big upgrade yesterday which should avoid the need to switch servers. We'll be keeping an eye on it though.

weonlywon6-2
07-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Our hosts carried out a pretty big upgrade yesterday which should avoid the need to switch servers. We'll be keeping an eye on it though.

Has the set up for mobile changed today,mine is totally different???

down-the-slope
07-01-2014, 05:46 PM

:aok: thanks for info / updates Mikey...and a Happy New Year to all The Admins!

DaveF
07-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Has the set up for mobile changed today,mine is totally different???

There was a new style added recently - duller colours and no sigs - perhaps it's defaulted to that? I know someone else had this issue earlier.