PDA

View Full Version : RIP Theresa McGurk

martinmcgurk
05-01-2014, 10:23 AM
I wanted to share the sad news of the passing of my mother, 85 years old and a lifelong supporter.
She had been going to ER since 1946 and was still a season ticket holder. She attended the match last sunday and the 3-0 result filled her with enthusiasm for the future of our club
She was regularly Behind the Goals before home matches and loved the fact that she would be there with her sons, grandchildren and great grandchildren. 4 generations of the family were often in attendance at ER.
Older members associated with the supporters club may well know her as she was a long time member there.
She was in Athens for the european tie in 2001 and also went to Trinidad and Tobago for the pre-season tour.
She along with my Dad, Uncles and Grandparents attended ER for Years and none were able to witness the SC coming to ER.
She passed away on the 2nd. January so the match that night had even more significance for us and the team did not let us down.
Just wanted to share this sad news with the Hibernian Family of which she was so proud to be a part of

Ricky Bobby
05-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Condolences to you and your family mate.

Chuck Rhoades
05-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Sorry to hear. RIP Theresa.

cabbageandribs1875
05-01-2014, 10:27 AM
sad to hear of your loss, condolences to all her family and friends

hihohibby
05-01-2014, 10:29 AM
I wanted to share the sad news of the passing of my mother, 85 years old and a lifelong supporter.
She had been going to ER since 1946 and was still a season ticket holder. She attended the match last sunday and the 3-0 result filled her with enthusiasm for the future of our club
She was regularly Behind the Goals before home matches and loved the fact that she would be there with her sons, grandchildren and great grandchildren. 4 generations of the family were often in attendance at ER.
Older members associated with the supporters club may well know her as she was a long time member there.
She was in Athens for the european tie in 2001 and also went to Trinidad and Tobago for the pre-season tour.
She along with my Dad, Uncles and Grandparents attended ER for Years and none were able to witness the SC coming to ER.
She passed away on the 2nd. January so the match that night had even more significance for us and the team did not let us down.
Just wanted to share this sad news with the Hibernian Family of which she was so proud to be a part of

Bless you for sharing that with us.
My sincere condolences.

MSK
05-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Just wanted to share this sad news with the Hibernian Family of which she was so proud to be a part ofSounds like she was an amazingly loyal Woman, thanks for sharing, condolences to you & your family.

brog
05-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Martin, I knew your Mum & Dad very well, mostly through the Supporters' Club until I left Edinburgh 33 years ago. I remember Theresa with great affection, she was a lovely lady & a wonderful Hibs fan. My Dad passed away 2 years ago at 92, also without ever seeing the Cup but supporting Hibs is much more than that as you rightly say. My sincere condolences at this tough time.

surreyhibbie
05-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Sincere condolences mate.

Another Hibby in heaven.

Billychaotic182
05-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Sorry for your loss mate.

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Rip

Green_one
05-01-2014, 10:48 AM
RIP Theresa.

My condolences

Her name is familiar. I think my mother may have gone to school with her. Did she go to Holy Cross?

soupy
05-01-2014, 10:52 AM
RIP Theresa....:-(

trev the hat
05-01-2014, 10:53 AM
RIP
Condolences to the family

stoneyburn hibs
05-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Condolences RIP Theresa

ALF TUPPER
05-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Sad news. Condolences to you and your family.

RIP Theresa.

Fife-Hibee
05-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Sorry to hear that , R I P

BSEJVT
05-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Condolences to you and your family

RIP Theresa

Nakedmanoncrack
05-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Thank you for sharing, RIP.

Hibby Gav
05-01-2014, 11:02 AM
A true hibby !
my thoughts are with you and your family mate....rest in peace Mrs M !

hibs62
05-01-2014, 11:04 AM
My Mum (who is no longer with us) worked with your Mum in the civil service. The thing i remember my Mum telling me about your mum was what a great Hibee Theresa was (unfortunately my Mum was a Jambo and couldn't understand why my sister and I had season tickets at Easter Road!). I am glad she was able to see us win at her last visit to ER. Hope all your many happy memories will help you through this difficult time.

hibeeleicester
05-01-2014, 11:13 AM
RIP Theresa,

Such sad news and I really feel your pain, my uncle Gerry Dray also died at 3pm on the 2nd.

He was another massive Hibby!

The derby result was really special. And I'm sure there would of been a massive Hibee party up there :agree:

Weststandwanab
05-01-2014, 11:15 AM
R.I.P. I can understand your loss my own mother a Hibby passed away on 24th September and I got the news just approaching the stadium for the Stranraer game that night. I stayed for the first half but missed most of it as I was texting the sad news to the remainder of the family.

kaimendhibs
05-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Very sorry to hear your sad news. Sincere condolences to you and your family.

Sent from my iphone

gegs70
05-01-2014, 11:50 AM
What a wonderful lady, I am so sorry for your loss but she has certainly left you all with a legacy. Family days out at the hibs games .... perfect. PS glad they won for us on Thursday that was an important result.

RIP Theresa....a remarkable lady and hibby ;-)

martinmcgurk
05-01-2014, 11:55 AM
RIP Theresa.

My condolences

Her name is familiar. I think my mother may have gone to school with her. Did she go to Holy Cross?
She went to St. Thomas' which was next to the old Infirmary and was girls only at that time

Dibben
05-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Condolences your loss. She sounds like she was one hell of a Hibby...

RIP Theresa.

Gerard
05-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. May Theresa rest in peace.

Leithenhibby
05-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Martin, can I take this opportunity to send you our condolences to you and your family.

RIP Theresa x

Juice-Terry
05-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Sorry for your loss mate. Condolences.

Ringothedog
05-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Condolences to your family. I remember your mum well from my days working for the social security. She was a great hibby and an even greater person.
RIP Theresa

Big90inOz
05-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Please accept my condolences, always sad to hear of a Hibby passing

On a side note did you work for Briggs Amasco as a Supervisor?

martinmcgurk
05-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Please accept my condolences, always sad to hear of a Hibby passing

On a side note did you work for Briggs Amasco as a Supervisor?

Yes I did. Is that mark? Ian H told me you had moved to Oz.

therealgavmac
05-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Martin, if you're the same Martin I'm thinking about we spoke many years ago when I lived in Harrogate and you "led" the Harrogate Hibs Supporters Club....

Anyhow, sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss, prayers are with you

Gavin

HibbySpurs
05-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Sounds like your mum was a true member of the Hibernian family, RIP.

Flanny boy
05-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Condolences to you and your family mate
rip Theresa so pleased the boys got that
win for you on Thursday night.
up in heaven I,ll be singing
with the angels high above

scunnyhibs
05-01-2014, 01:02 PM
RIP Theresa and condolences to all your family Martin. I was a member of the same branch as Theresa and enjoyed her company at the club, she was a lovely woman.
Please can you let us know when the funeral is arranged.
RIP x

martinmcgurk
05-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Martin, if you're the same Martin I'm thinking about we spoke many years ago when I lived in Harrogate and you "led" the Harrogate Hibs Supporters Club....

Anyhow, sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss, prayers are with you

Gavin

Hi Gavin. I am indeed that soldier. Thank you for your kind words.

Big90inOz
05-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Yes I did. Is that mark? Ian H told me you had moved to Oz.

Hi Martin, one and the same person.

I know from experience how hard this time can be, best advise I can give is focus on all the great memories. Sorry for your loss

andudare2
05-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Just wanted to share this sad news with the Hibernian Family of which she was so proud to be a part ofsad to hear that m8!!!!!!!!

fat freddy
05-01-2014, 01:38 PM
My condolences to your family Martin. As another poster mentioned, the name rings a bell, did Theresa have any grandchildren that attended Holy Cross? I remember a Dominic McGurk from my time in primary school.

martinmcgurk
05-01-2014, 01:48 PM
My condolences to your family Martin. As another poster mentioned, the name rings a bell, did Theresa have any grandchildren that attended Holy Cross? I remember a Dominic McGurk from my time in primary school.

I went to Holy Cross a so did my brother Dennis, my other brother Kevin went to St. Anthonys
Holy Cross was no more by the time her grandchildren came along. Me and my 2 brothers went to St. Mary's Primary School, York Lane.

hibeelin
05-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Sorry to hear your news, she sounds like a wonderful lady.

You are all in our thoughts and prayers

RIP Theresa

TomTheHibbyBev
05-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Sorry to hear of your lost. RIP Theresa and condolences to all your family Martin

The Harp
05-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Sorry to hear of Theresa's passing Martin.
Sincere condolences to you and all Theresa's family. Seems like she's left you all with some wonderful memories.

RIP Theresa

Hibby D
05-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Sincere condolences to all of Theresa's family and friends. Sounds like she was a wonderful lady x

gegs70
05-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Hi Martin

Is your brothers name Kevin?

If so I know him from BG, He alwsys spoke about going to the games with his mum. Pass on my Best, Iposted earlier didnt quite make the connection

Graeme

Jonnyboy
05-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Martin, I remember your Mum well from my days on the Hawkhill bus. A wonderful lady who will be sorely missed. I recall she penned a song about Rangers losing at Berwick in the Scottish Cup with the immortal line 'down at the Palace they made it a law, that if you beat Rangers it's only a draw'

martinmcgurk
05-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Hi Martin

Is your brothers name Kevin?

If so I know him from BG, He alwsys spoke about going to the games with his mum. Pass on my Best, Iposted earlier didnt quite make the connection

Graeme

Yes Kevin is my Brother and he works at BG

Stantons Angel
05-01-2014, 08:19 PM
So sad to hear of Theresa's passing Martin.

Your mum and dad where good friends of mine for many years and i enjoyed their company and their support through some very tough times. Your dad and i had a great bit of banter about the "immortal Gordon Smith" and my "God" Pat Stanton.......

Theresa went to Liverpool with me many years ago to watch the Hibs and was in Trinidad and Tobago with us too for the games there.

She was a great Hibby and a very lovely kind woman who doted on her family. I have many great memories of her which i will cherish and im glad to have had her as my friend.

I know what its like to lose your mum, but with the great result we had against Hearts she would have been very happy to be watching over her Hibs.

Let me know the arrangements please as i would like to come and say goodbye to her.

My love to you Kevin & Dennis too.

Janette Campbell

martinmcgurk
05-01-2014, 08:24 PM
So sad to hear of Theresa's passing Martin.

Your mum and dad where good friends of mine for many years and i enjoyed their company and their support through some very tough times. Your dad and i had a great bit of banter about the "immortal Gordon Smith" and my "God" Pat Stanton.......

Theresa went to Liverpool with me many years ago to watch the Hibs and was in Trinidad and Tobago with us too for the games there.

She was a great Hibby and a very lovely kind woman who doted on her family. I have many great memories of her which i will cherish and im glad to have had her as my friend.

I know what its like to lose your mum, but with the great result we had against Hearts she would have been very happy to be watching over her Hibs.

Let me know the arrangements please as i would like to come and say goodbye to her.

My love to you Kevin & Dennis too.

Janette Campbell

Hi Janette. Thanks for your kind words. We should hopefully have definite date on Monday and I will post the details for you. It should also be in the EEN on Tuesday

FranckSuzy
05-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Hi Martin

I'm very sorry to hear your sad news. I know Dennis and Gary well as they used to live over from my family at Colinton Mains (Ryan was a bit younger then). I met your mum in BTG a few months ago and I was talking to Dennis about the Yams. I swore then apologised to her but Dennis said not to worry about it as his mum hated them too and had probably said/heard worse :greengrin

Thoughts are with the whole family at this time. RIP Theresa

Susan L

edwards
05-01-2014, 08:34 PM
So sad I am sure your mother will be giving Terry and Maurice her support and steer us to a cup win this season. Thoughts are with you and your family.

garys
05-01-2014, 08:36 PM
RIP Theresa!! Condolences to all the family!!

Bill Milne
06-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Sad news. I remember both Theresa and Jimmy very well. Theresa was on the trip to Trinidad & Tobago where I recall she was very miffed not to have booked an "all-inclusive" deal, due mainly to bad advice from Auntie Maude McFarlane. Still, the lads on the trip made sure she was well supplied with free bevvy!!

One Day
06-01-2014, 08:29 PM
On behalf of my Brothers and Myself I would like thank you all for your kind posts.

For everyone who has enquired about funeral arrangements I can confirm that a service will take place on Friday, 10th January at 11:00am in Warriston Crematorium Lorimer Chapel.

Thanks again.

Kevin

PatHead
06-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. RIP

Steven_Hibs
06-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Sorry to hear that, condolences to you and your family

martinmcgurk
08-01-2014, 01:46 PM
On behalf of my Brothers and Myself I would like thank you all for your kind posts.

For everyone who has enquired about funeral arrangements I can confirm that a service will take place on Friday, 10th January at 11:00am in Warriston Crematorium Lorimer Chapel.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Any who would like to attend are very welcome and we are looking on this as being a celebration of the life of a great lady who was a passionate hibby all her life. GREEN IS THE COLOUR.

Dashing Bob S
08-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Sorry to hear about this Martin, she sounds a great Hibs woman. All the best to you and your family. RIP Theresa.

HKhibby
08-01-2014, 04:36 PM

Very sad news indeed mate, my deepest condolences too!, going to Easter Road since 1946? what an achievement! i am sure she will be very missed at ER, and i would hope that the Board and Management put some sort of statement / condolence message out to the effects and this achievement.

Sorry to hear of your loss