PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comments from Medals Mackay

theonlywayisup
04-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Sorry can't find the on-line version, but below are some of his comments:

"Hertz are paying price of not going into administration a month earlier"

"I think the powers-that-be have to stick to their guidelines - and Hertz are paying the price, in my eyes, of not going onto administration a month earlier"

"The benefit (of Hertz going into admin last season and dropping down to the Championship) would have been that the development of the young players would have been in a less pressurised situation. And Rangers wouldn't be coming into the division that Hertz look like they are going to be in next season"

"They (the Liths) have made, for me, the wrong decision for the wellbeing of Hertz of Midlothian FC. I think a lot of Hertz supporters don't realise there is a lot of pain to go through in the coming years."

Mackay never forgets exactly how his club got into this situation, pointing out they had more players on their staff than Liverpool.

'Yes, and how many years until the next one (an Edinburgh Derby at ER) will be questionable. It's a real concern"

"Hertz aren't out of administration yet. We keep talking about a club that we think is going to come out of administration. that's not happened yet."

"It's not been an easy road up until now for administration and for the CVA to pass through. How much longer is that going to take?"

"I do have a concern that Hertz of Midlothian, as a club, have a lot of years of pain to go through."

"Whereas at hibernian, right now, I don't think I've seen as bouyant a group of players"

"If they continue to progress at the rate of knots they have already done under Terry Butcher, then the tide could well and truly be turning in the city."

Viva_Palmeiras
04-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Has he started drinking meths? Surprising comments from medLz

aljo7-0
04-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Does not compute!!!!!!

Medals Mackay talking with both logic and reality functions switched on?

johncrobertson@
04-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Where was the article? Read the Evening News piece by him today and he paid no compliments to us. In fact he had a wee dig at the Yams getting a bigger crowd than us against Killie.

theonlywayisup
04-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Where was the article? Read the Evening News piece by him today and he paid no compliments to us. In fact he had a wee dig at the Yams getting a bigger crowd than us against Killie.

Sorry, meant to say it was in the Daily Mail. And, yes he had the Killie dig in that too.

RoYO!
04-01-2014, 07:48 PM
That will HURT reading such sense!

weonlywon6-2
04-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Hes actually talking some sense

Hibs Class
04-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Gist of the daily mail article seems to be that hearts should have taken administration and relegation last year, not because of any willingness to accept responsibility for years of cheating but because the way this season has turned out for them that next season now looks like a disaster for them. If medals had written this article nine months ago I'd maybe give him some credit for it but writing it now only illustrates that he'd still endorse any action that gave them an unfair advantage so all it does is underline that he is as contemptible a yam as he always has been.

Hibercelona
04-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Perhaps after witnessing the mess that is "Billy Brown", he has vowed to change his own ways before it's too late? :dunno:

Saorsa
04-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Gist of the daily mail article seems to be that hearts should have taken administration and relegation last year, not because of any willingness to accept responsibility for years of cheating but because the way this season has turned out for them that next season now looks like a disaster for them. If medals had written this article nine months ago I'd maybe give him some credit for it but writing it now only illustrates that he'd still endorse any action that gave them an unfair advantage so all it does is underline that he is as contemptible a yam as he always has been.Correct, happy tae go along with it until it went yam shaped. Typical yam hypocrite trying tae distance himself from what went on just like auld ****in' pishy breeks has tried but they're baith in it up tae their necks.

Wotherspiniesta
05-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Mackay is a decent guy. He knows where Hearts stand and is usually quite diplomatic when it comes to Hibs and Hearts rivalry. Told me he was going to be watching the derby "behind the couch" :greengrin:na na:

WWFTWTG
05-01-2014, 02:40 AM
Mackay is a decent guy. He knows where Hearts stand and is usually quite diplomatic when it comes to Hibs and Hearts rivalry. Told me he was going to be watching the derby "behind the couch" :greengrin:na na:

"Decent Guy" I dont think so and I dont think I need to elaborate further........

Barney McGrew
05-01-2014, 06:16 AM
Mackay is a decent guy

You should ask Kevin Harper if that's the case and see how he replies :cb

Cabbage East
05-01-2014, 07:50 AM

Have you been smoking crack?

CallumLaidlaw
05-01-2014, 08:11 AM
After reading that, he is quite obviously a Hobo!

AlbertK86
05-01-2014, 08:29 AM

No he ain't I've met him several times over the years when he was playing for Hertz and Airdrie and a couple of times since.

He is an arrogant egotistical deluded Jambo who hates Hibs with a passion.

He is unable to be anything less than contemptuous about us and is never prepared to take on board anybody else's point of view

Phil D. Rolls
05-01-2014, 08:34 AM
No he ain't I've met him several times over the years when he was playing for Hertz and Airdrie and a couple of times since.

He is unable to be anything less than contemptuous about us and is never prepared to take on board anybody else's point of view

I think the fairest thing to say is that he's not very bright. I blame journalists and photographers for encouraging him.

oregonhibby
05-01-2014, 09:15 AM
The issue for me is that they were still allowed to trade when it was clear that they did not have the ability to trade as a going concern.

In such circumstances the directors should be called to account. In addition, the football authorities must have known of their inability to continue trading at Christmas, but would appear to want the fixtures completed rather than the financial health of all of those who have lost money - including the government - which is us in the form of tax!

When teams describe their winning of cups, it is generally described as honours. However, to have honour requires some ethical and moral backbone - neither of which is particularly evident here.

Maybe it is time for the SPFL, SFA and any other body to enquire into this situation although I would not hold my breath as I am sure there are questions that need answered on their governance. To hide behind a statement that says that an insolvency or administration event hadn't happened is akin to seeing a man having a heart attack and waiting until they have died before administering CPR.

I don't want to see Hearts or any other team die but they must accept their punishment.

hibbydog
05-01-2014, 09:20 AM

I used to think that he was a decent guy until I saw his monkey chants at Kevin Harper during a derby around about 1996 ish. He declined to apologise for that.

He is an absolute horror of a human being and deserves everything that is happening to hearts at the moment.

An utter bell end IMO

ballengeich
05-01-2014, 09:23 AM
There's a problem with Mackay's analysis. If Hearts had been playing in the Championship this season, surely the reduced income would have meant they had no chance of completing their fixtures. Staying in the Premier gives them some chance of longer-term survival.

Groathillgrump
05-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Too little, too late from Mackay as it's easy to say what he's saying with 20/20 hindsight. Once a roaster, always a roaster.

I'm glad they delayed going into admin as we've been able to enjoy watching their slow, lingering slide towards relegation this season. Hopefully Partick Thistle will hammer another couple of nails into their Premiership coffin this afternoon.

However, if I was a Dundee fan I'd be raging that they knowingly continued trading last season in the knowledge that the brown stuff was about to hit the fan. It's called cheating but then the club with no shame wouldn't give that a minute's thought, would they?

sbell1875
05-01-2014, 11:19 AM

"I think the powers-that-be have to stick to their guidelines - and Hertz are paying the price, in my eyes, of not going onto administration a month earlier"

"The benefit (of Hertz going into admin last season and dropping down to the Championship) would have been that the development of the young players would have been in a less pressurised situation. And Rangers wouldn't be coming into the division that Hertz look like they are going to be in next season"

"They (the Liths) have made, for me, the wrong decision for the wellbeing of Hertz of Midlothian FC. I think a lot of Hertz supporters don't realise there is a lot of pain to go through in the coming years."

Mackay never forgets exactly how his club got into this situation, pointing out they had more players on their staff than Liverpool.

'Yes, and how many years until the next one (an Edinburgh Derby at ER) will be questionable. It's a real concern"

"Hertz aren't out of administration yet. We keep talking about a club that we think is going to come out of administration. that's not happened yet."

"It's not been an easy road up until now for administration and for the CVA to pass through. How much longer is that going to take?"

"I do have a concern that Hertz of Midlothian, as a club, have a lot of years of pain to go through."

"Whereas at hibernian, right now, I don't think I've seen as bouyant a group of players"

"If they continue to progress at the rate of knots they have already done under Terry Butcher, then the tide could well and truly be turning in the city."

"The tide could well and truly be turning in the city"

After some common sense stuff Medals Mackay drops that line. Pretty safe to say the tide has already turned I'm afraid.

Saorsa
05-01-2014, 11:27 AM
"The tide could well and truly be turning in the city"

After some common sense stuff Medals Mackay drops that line. Pretty safe to say the tide has already turned I'm afraid.It would have been common sense stuff as you put it, if he'd thought about it and said it 8 or 9 yeas ago, now it's just so much wind and pish

whiskyhibby
05-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Who would have thought it, a Yam with a realistic view of the state of Edinburgh football, perhaps they can sense that the BBC gravy train that seems to support a number of Yam loving trumpets may look elsewhere if they are in the wilderness for the next few years.......here's hoping....

Wotherspiniesta
05-01-2014, 12:25 PM
"Decent Guy" I dont think so and I dont think I need to elaborate further........

Well, I think you do actually...

But then you'll probably just say something along the lines of....

I was quite a young lad at the time so can't really say much about it. I don't remember much being made about it in the press, can't find anything on the internet and have never seen any evidence to suggest such a thing. Harper was one of my favourite players as a lad, and I'm sure if he was racially abused on the park there would have been much more of a deal made about it than there was. All I've ever read about it seems to have been on this website.

Have you been smoking crack?

No, I just sell it. :rolleyes:

I used to think that he was a decent guy until I saw his monkey chants at Kevin Harper during a derby around about 1996 ish. He declined to apologise for that.

He is an absolute horror of a human being and deserves everything that is happening to hearts at the moment.

An utter bell end IMO

Well you can read above for my thoughts on that and you can read even further up for his thoughts on hearts plight.

I guess your argument holds the most water seeing as you've met him. Having not known him that long, I can't really comment on what he was like as a player so I'll take your word that he was a bit of a tool back then. It could be the fact that he's matured with age, but as I said everytime I've met him he comes across as a decent level headed guy (Those big ears make him rather balanced possibly?:wink:). He's always been quite complimentary about Hibs aswell. Billy Brown on the other hand...

Kato
05-01-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm sure if he was racially abused on the park there would have been much more of a deal made about it than there was. .

Nothing was made of it at the time as the press blanked Harper's claims, it wasn't until moves were made by him and the players Union that anyone paid any attention at all and that was months later.

FWIW Some people saw what happened at the time, Harper was the subject of monkey chants from the Hearts support and MacKay joined in right in Harper's face. The TV evidence was there for all to see as it isn't all that hard to lip-read those chants and the chance that he was saying something other than "oooh ooooh ooooh" is very slim. GM denied it all of course and will probably still deny it today.

Just because he's nice to you doesn't mean he's nice. He's a thick jambo, with very little understanding of the finer points of being human being.

Wotherspiniesta
05-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Nothing was made of it at the time as the press blanked Harper's claims, it wasn't until moves were made by him and the players Union that anyone paid any attention at all and that was months later.

FWIW Some people saw what happened at the time, Harper was the subject of monkey chants from the Hearts support and MacKay joined in right in Harper's face. The TV evidence was there for all to see as it isn't all that hard to lip-read those chants and the chance that he was saying something other than "oooh ooooh ooooh" is very slim. GM denied it all of course and will probably still deny it today.

Just because he's nice to you doesn't mean he's nice. He's a thick jambo, with very little understanding of the finer points of being human being.

Like I said all I've seen from the incident is what a few folk have said on here and I've never seen any evidence of it actually taking place. I think you've made a bit of a fool of yourself here aswell by the way, as according to you, the "TV evidence was there for all to see" yet only "some" folk seen it and the press made nothong of it?

As for your final sentence; you tend to treat others the way they treat you. I think if I was to act any differently and treat him based on what I've read on here I'd be more of a roaster than you think he is.

Kato
05-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Like I said all I've seen from the incident is what a few folk have said on here and I've never seen any evidence of it actually taking place.

I'm sure a few more will back up the story. if you ever meet Kevin Harper he will tell you what happened and how the press/authorities blanked him after he complained. That match was up on youtube for a while so there may even be a link shared as I remember seeing it again complete with MacKay's monkey chants.

As for your final sentence; you tend to treat others the way they treat you. I think if I was to act any differently and treat him based on what I've read on here I'd be more of a roaster than you think he is.

Fair do's. Having met GM a few times I tend to dingy him these days.

Kato
05-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Incident Harper complained about at around 7.20-7.40. The racist chants from the jambos that day were a disgrace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQYMLIaaK60&feature=youtu.be

WWFTWTG
05-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Well, I think you do actually...

But then you'll probably just say something along the lines of....

I was quite a young lad at the time so can't really say much about it. I don't remember much being made about it in the press, can't find anything on the internet and have never seen any evidence to suggest such a thing. Harper was one of my favourite players as a lad, and I'm sure if he was racially abused on the park there would have been much more of a deal made about it than there was. All I've ever read about it seems to have been on this website.

No, I just sell it. :rolleyes:

Well you can read above for my thoughts on that and you can read even further up for his thoughts on hearts plight.

I guess your argument holds the most water seeing as you've met him. Having not known him that long, I can't really comment on what he was like as a player so I'll take your word that he was a bit of a tool back then. It could be the fact that he's matured with age, but as I said everytime I've met him he comes across as a decent level headed guy (Those big ears make him rather balanced possibly?:wink:). He's always been quite complimentary about Hibs aswell. Billy Brown on the other hand...

So the learning point for you is to do a little bit research before making any further moronic assertions about mackay or any other like-minded plank...

jacomo
05-01-2014, 02:47 PM

The TV coverage of the incident is inconclusive to be honest, people who were there that day may know the context better. But Kevin Harper seemed pretty convinced, and given that McKay was shouting directly in his face its unlikely he would have misheard him.

jacomo
05-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Hang on, is McKay blaming 'the Liths' for delaying administration until the end of last season? Because it appeared that it was the club (led by David Southern) who were desperately holding on until the season finished, claiming they were 'operationally self-sufficient' or whatever the nonsense was, when it was quite clear they were not.

We'll never know if Hearts would have been better getting relegated last season. They might have found it easier going and won that Division this season, although based on their current form, maybe not.

hibbydog
05-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Well you can read above for my thoughts on that

Ach we can agree to disagree then mate....

Wotherspiniesta
05-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Incident Harper complained about at around 7.20-7.40. The racist chants from the jambos that day were a disgrace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQYMLIaaK60&feature=youtu.be

Well this is the first I've seen of the incident. He's hardly making monkey chants though is he? He says something to him in anger. Not being a lipreader though, its quite hard to tell what he says.

So the learning point for you is to do a little bit research before making any further moronic assertions about mackay or any other like-minded plank...

Moronic assertions? I told people that I've spoken to him quite a few times and he always comes across as a decent guy. Maybe you should wind your neck in and try and come up with a better reason why he's a "plank" instead of being abusive.

Wotherspiniesta
05-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Ach we can agree to disagree then mate....

Fair enough mate. I've seen the footage now.

Kato
05-01-2014, 05:59 PM
He's hardly making monkey chants though is he?

Are you 100% sure of that. Given that Kevin Harper claimed he was and that other Hibs players heard what happened and that MacKay was joining in with the ongoing racist chant from the Hearts end, which could be heard clearly all day, I'm pretty sure he did.

Phil D. Rolls
05-01-2014, 06:00 PM
The TV coverage of the incident is inconclusive to be honest, people who were there that day may know the context better. But Kevin Harper seemed pretty convinced, and given that McKay was shouting directly in his face its unlikely he would have misheard him.

Well this is the first I've seen of the incident. He's hardly making monkey chants though is he? He says something to him in anger. Not being a lipreader though, its quite hard to tell what he says.

Moronic assertions? I told people that I've spoken to him quite a few times and he always comes across as a decent guy. Maybe you should wind your neck in and try and come up with a better reason why he's a "plank" instead of being abusive.

Why would Kevin Harper say that he did make monkey chants? Furthermore, he is adamant it happened years afterwards. If Gary's a good guy, I'm sure he'll explain to you what happened.

Even kickback is starting to tell MacKay to shut it. Maybe his credibility has been shot to bits by the fact that most of the things he says are usually shot down in flames.

Or by the humiliation of supporting Romanov, then turning on him once Vlad told him to eff off.

Maybe a bloke with his heart in the right place - but his backside where his mouth should be. The kind of person that tends to get labelled a "plank".

bookert
05-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Why would Kevin Harper say that he did make monkey chants? Furthermore, he is adamant it happened years afterwards. If Gary's a good guy, I'm sure he'll explain to you what happened.

Even kickback is starting to tell MacKay to shut it. Maybe his credibility has been shot to bits by the fact that most of the things he says are usually shot down in flames.

Or by the humiliation of supporting Romanov, then turning on him once Vlad told him to eff off.

Maybe a bloke with his heart in the right place - but his backside where his mouth should be. The kind of person that tends to get labelled a "plank".

I was at that game with my son in the old father / son section, the clash with Harper on the clip was not the instance I remember. My memory (which admittedly is not photographic) is that McKay tackled and pushed Harper off the field and ad Harper came back onto the park, McKay wad shouting (something) in Harper's face

WWFTWTG
05-01-2014, 06:34 PM

Carry on my friend, knock yourself out :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
05-01-2014, 06:34 PM
I was at that game with my son in the old father / son section, the clash with Harper on the clip was not the instance I remember. My memory (which admittedly is not photographic) is that McKay tackled and pushed Harper off the field and ad Harper came back onto the park, McKay wad shouting (something) in Harper's face

Not defending MacKay, but some context is needed. This happened at a time when many people would not have been too worried about racism. MacKay would not have been too out of step with many fellow professionals.

I was at a reserve game against Hearts around 1983, when Hibs played a guy from Bermuda. I hears the Hearts player (Alex?) Hamill, clearly call the guy a "black B".

Some of us in the enclosure were more upset by this than others. It's notable nothing was said by other players, or management. It used to be a lot easier to racially abuse a player.

I just wish MacKay would answer the allegation, and offer an apology if he feels it is needed.

Wotherspiniesta
05-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Are you 100% sure of that. Given that Kevin Harper claimed he was and that other Hibs players heard what happened and that MacKay was joining in with the ongoing racist chant from the Hearts end, which could be heard clearly all day, I'm pretty sure he did.

I have to say if other players claimed to have heard it, then they should have the balls to step forward and support Kevin. I like Harper, I read his interview a while back when he was talking about the abuse that he got growing up as a black kid in Glasgow. It really does turn your stomach and unfortunately even today there's still a element of racism at football matches up and down the country. But the footage here is rather inocuous TBH and I think some folk just see what they want to.

Phil D. Rolls
05-01-2014, 06:38 PM
I have to say if other players claimed to have heard it, then they should have the balls to step forward and support Kevin. I like Harper, I read his interview a while back when he was talking about the abuse that he got growing up as a black kid in Glasgow. It really does turn your stomach and unfortunately even today there's still a element of racism at football matches up and down the country. But the footage here is rather inocuous TBH and I think some folk just see what they want to.

I think the issue is that Harper has made the charge, and Gary has never responded. He's not helping himself, because you'd think he would deny it, if he hadn't done it.

I can't think why Kevin Harper would want to keep the story going. Other than to draw attention to the problems black players face in Scotland.

brog
05-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Hang on, is McKay blaming 'the Liths' for delaying administration until the end of last season? Because it appeared that it was the club (led by David Southern) who were desperately holding on until the season finished, claiming they were 'operationally self-sufficient' or whatever the nonsense was, when it was quite clear they were not.

We'll never know if Hearts would have been better getting relegated last season. They might have found it easier going and won that Division this season, although based on their current form, maybe not.

There are so many Yam threads I'm a bit lost but there is another one where Medals is actually pointing the finger at Southern. DBS, GG, myself & others have commented this is the first time Self-sufficient has been called to account. Hopefully it will open the floodgates.

Wotherspiniesta
05-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I think the issue is that Harper has made the charge, and Gary has never responded. He's not helping himself, because you'd think he would deny it, if he hadn't done it.

I can't think why Kevin Harper would want to keep the story going. Other than to draw attention to the problems black players face in Scotland.

I don't know why Harper would want to keep the story going TBH. I can only say what I think of Mackay when I've met him as a person. He's also done work for show racism the red card, so if he did do it, maybe it was just a moment of stupidity ala Deeks refugee chant.

Phil D. Rolls
05-01-2014, 07:02 PM
I don't know why Harper would want to keep the story going TBH. I can only say what I think of Mackay when I've met him as a person. He's also done work for show racism the red card, so if he did do it, maybe it was just a moment of stupidity ala Deeks refugee chant.

I don't suppose we'll ever know the whole story unless Gary gives his side of what happened.

Hibs90
05-01-2014, 10:28 PM

The video footage looks quite obvious to me tbh.

clerriehibs
05-01-2014, 10:48 PM
There are so many Yam threads I'm a bit lost but there is another one where Medals is actually pointing the finger at Southern. DBS, GG, myself & others have commented this is the first time Self-sufficient has been called to account. Hopefully it will open the floodgates.

First?!?! He's been called out on it constantly on here and in the een comments (I know, I know).

WWFTWTG
06-01-2014, 07:25 PM
I don't suppose we'll ever know the whole story unless Gary gives his side of what happened.

Your points are well made FR - no update from the "decent guy" or his friend..........