PDA

View Full Version : Malpas

jimmyboco1875
03-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Got told a while ago how good a coach malpas was and never thought nothing of it but I'm now seeing how good he really is, was speaking to handling other day and he says malpas is all about attack and goes crazy in training if someone doesn't take a shot with the goal in view.

Shrekko
03-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Got told a while ago how good a coach malpas was and never thought nothing of it but I'm now seeing how good he really is, was speaking to handling other day and he says malpas is all about attack and goes crazy in training if someone doesn't take a shot with the goal in view.

It's amazing how guys that got into coaching and management are often so different to how they were as players!

MyJo
03-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Yesterday was the first time i had been into the stadium in time to see the warm-up and pre match training going on and the difference between us and the mutants was astonishing.

Both sets of players were doing pretty much the same sort of drills with passing and moving into other positions etc and then being split into two groups to play a possesion game. The hearts players looked like they couldnt be ersed being there and were doing everything half hearted while the hibs players were buzzing and getting stuck in like it was the actual match at a much much higher tempo while Malpas was at the side with a spare ball ready to chuck it in and keep the tempo high if the ball they were using went astray and barking instructions to players.

Has made a massive difference in such a short space of time, you can see the desire and the belief in the players now.

long may it continue.

jimmyboco1875
03-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Is malpas the main man in the butcher/malpas team you think?

leithsansiro
03-01-2014, 06:42 PM
I think the management team without Malpas would be very, very different. I think TB is a good manager, but I think Malpas is the training ground guy. On a related note, I was at a training course that he took a couple of years ago, and even there he was fairly intense!

Haymaker
03-01-2014, 06:43 PM

On the pitch yeah. Butcher strikes me as the 'overseer' type. Pitching in here and there, quiet word now and then and focusing on what the opposotion will do and giving that to Mo.

Cropley10
03-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Malpas is so good he's already got folk singing his name. To the same tune as last season's Owen Doyle ditty.

Malpas is clearly the real deal.

heretoday
03-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Malpas was an international class defender. So was Butcher. How lucky are we to have these guys in charge?

This is an incredible turnaround for Hibs. It's fantastic.

tamig
03-01-2014, 10:23 PM

They're a team. Both mentioned not long after joining us that they've never been successful in management/coaching when they've not been together. Their individual records definitely back that up. It's a pleasure to have them - and Stevie Marsella - on board.

Tinribs
03-01-2014, 10:42 PM
They're a team. Both mentioned not long after joining us that they've never been successful in management/coaching when they've not been together. Their individual records definitely back that up. It's a pleasure to have them - and Stevie Marsella - on board.

I agree wholeheartedly, i enjoyed Maurices Hibs TV interview where he talks about being physically battered by Jim McLean. He also inferred that big Terry had had the same type of upbringing at Ipswich Town under Bobby Robson, which i find a bit harder to believe, BR hitting people? maybe then...but dunno tbh.
The upshot of all that, is they are hard as Gypsy fighters, and want to instill that into our squad. As for Marsella, he has been hard driving from what i hear...

Hibby Bairn
03-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Spent a bit of time tonight watching Dundee Utd clips on You Tube from the 80s. All high tempo, intense, tons of crosses into the box, goals from corners and a lot of headed goals. Also lots of shots on goal. Ball played forward quickly on the ground and in the air. Opposition always on the back foot. Not many square passes :greengrin.

I was at a lot of the games v Hibs in that time and just remember always getting beat.

As an aside that period for DU was quite unbelievable. Winning in the Nou Camp and beating Barca on aggregate, Euro Semi final, UEFA Cup Final, beating Borrusia Monchengladbach.

You can see where Malpas takes some of his ideas from.

Good mini-bio here from DU website. http://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/legends_mauricemalpas.asp

Danderhall Hibs
03-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Malpas is so good he's already got folk singing his name. To the same tune as last season's Owen Doyle ditty.

Malpas is clearly the real deal.

What's wrong with just plain old "Mo Mo Super Mo"

tamig
03-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Spent a bit of time tonight watching Dundee Utd clips on You Tube from the 80s. All high tempo, intense, tons of crosses into the box, goals from corners and a lot of headed goals. Also lots of shots on goal. Ball played forward quickly on the ground and in the air. Opposition always on the back foot. Not many square passes :greengrin.

I was at a lot of the games v Hibs in that time and just remember always getting beat.

As an aside that period for DU was quite unbelievable. Winning in the Nou Camp and beating Barca on aggregate, Euro Semi final, UEFA Cup Final, beating Borrusia Monchengladbach.

You can see where Malpas takes some of his ideas from.

Good mini-bio here from DU website. http://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/legends_mauricemalpas.asp

I saw us take some tankings at Tannadice in the 80s. Remember one match though when I think we were 3-1 down and we came back to get a 3-3 draw. That was as good as it got for us up there when they were in their pomp.

SmashinGlass
04-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Yesterday was the first time i had been into the stadium in time to see the warm-up and pre match training going on and the difference between us and the mutants was astonishing.

Both sets of players were doing pretty much the same sort of drills with passing and moving into other positions etc and then being split into two groups to play a possesion game. The hearts players looked like they couldnt be ersed being there and were doing everything half hearted while the hibs players were buzzing and getting stuck in like it was the actual match at a much much higher tempo while Malpas was at the side with a spare ball ready to chuck it in and keep the tempo high if the ball they were using went astray and barking instructions to players.

Has made a massive difference in such a short space of time, you can see the desire and the belief in the players now.

long may it continue.

Said the very same thing to my mate at the game. Good thing about it I also noted was that the players looked happy and comfortable doing it at such a pace. The guys have clearly bought into the Butcher/Malpas philosophy and that can only be a good thing in my view

Peevemor
04-01-2014, 12:30 AM
I saw us take some tankings at Tannadice in the 80s. Remember one match though when I think we were 3-1 down and we came back to get a 3-3 draw. That was as good as it got for us up there when they were in their pomp.

I was there too. We went 1-0 up through a 30yd drive from either Alan Sneddon (or maybe Gordon Rae - it was almost 30 years ago so you'll forgive me if I cannae mind). Utd then went into a 3-1 lead, Graeme Harvey pulled one back and Ricey equalised with a cracking volley from 18yds.

And you're right - that was as good as it got against them in those days. They also played with a well organised but brutal to watch offside trap which put paid to the majority of counter attacks.