PDA

View Full Version : Craig's Penalty

mutley
03-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Firstly, I only half saw it at the game as I could barely look in case he missed/saved. And then after jumping about like a lunatic with the rest of the East, watching all the highlights, in retrospect, I don't think it was a great one, not a lot of pace and had the keeper went the right way I reckon he would have saved it.
(Compared to sparky's penalties from last season where he nearly burst the net, well in the game at Ayr he did!)
Ok maybe there was a bit of psychology used to send the keeper the wrong way, I just thought it was a bit risky.
Back on a plus note, you got to love it when risks pay off

roryg
03-01-2014, 01:48 PM
I agree, the only way to take a spot kick is to blast it near the top corner ie' John Robertson Style. ⚽️

Austinho
03-01-2014, 01:50 PM
I think it was clever – you can see he watches the keeper the whole time. The Hearts goalie is already diving to his right by the time Craig strikes the ball.

Broken Gnome
03-01-2014, 01:51 PM
MacDonald went early, Craig fooled him. Easy finish.

JohnStephens91
03-01-2014, 01:52 PM
He said that he waited for the keeper to move before slotting it into the other corner

BH Hibs
After watching the highlights I thought he done well. He watched MacDonald move early and just knocked it in.

Leighonel
Firstly, I only half saw it at the game as I could barely look in case he missed/saved. And then after jumping about like a lunatic with the rest of the East, watching all the highlights, in retrospect, I don't think it was a great one, not a lot of pace and had the keeper went the right way I reckon he would have saved it.
(Compared to sparky's penalties from last season where he nearly burst the net, well in the game at Ayr he did!)
Ok maybe there was a bit of psychology used to send the keeper the wrong way, I just thought it was a bit risky.

I thought it was perfect ;-). Seriously though, when you watch the replay it shows he didnt even look at the ball till the last second, he tricked mcdonald with the eye contact allowing criag just to roll it in.

sambajustice
03-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Any penalty that goes in is a good penalty.

WWFTWTG
03-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Great composure and showed his class

Baader
03-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Waited for the keeper to committ and just rolled it other side. Goal every time if you can hold your nerve. Remember Mendieta as being the king of this - his pens would just trundle over the line but were always too far from the goalkeeper.

03-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Don't care if it was a great pen or not lol it got the back of the net and that's all that matters :D!! GGTTH

mutley
03-01-2014, 02:00 PM

Oh I agree with that 100%, maybe I just like to see them blast past the keeper.

green.and.white
03-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Knew exactly what he was doing, let McDonald dive and rolled it the other side. Easy as you like :aok:

machibby

Think you should look at the penalty again, for me it's as cool a penalty finish as you will see. Sends the keeper the wrong way early and slots it into the other side, according to Collins he does it every day at training.

Hibercelona
On a night where hard shots weren't bursting the net, I think he made the correct decision.

There's something more classy about a calm penalty.

Cabbage East
03-01-2014, 02:06 PM
You started a thread to complain about a penalty that we scored and that won us the match?

Fair enough...

chrisski33
03-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Doesnt matter if it was clever, good or bad it went in and we won thats all that matters!

chrisski33
03-01-2014, 02:08 PM
You started a thread to complain about a penalty that we scored and that won us the match?

Fair enough...

I know! Weird one eh?

The Sea-gull
03-01-2014, 02:08 PM
He's a good penalty taker. Sure he scored a good few for St Johnstone (including a couple v us I think) and, not that I am an expert on every penalty St Johnstone had between 2008 and 2013, I don't recall him missing one for them.

mutley
03-01-2014, 02:09 PM

Fair enough...

I wasn't complaining, just thought it was a bit risky

ChooseLife
03-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Craig's Penalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg2ulgHj5mM

Craig_in_Prague
03-01-2014, 02:10 PM
As soon as he connected with the ball, he was away celebrating basically.

Knew exactly what he was doing, fantastic under pressure.

I feared he'd blast it (high and wide),

well done cool captain craig !

Seveno
03-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Craig was the coolest person in ER. Class in action.

matty_f
03-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Given the circumstances and pressure, I thought the penalty was a thing of beauty.

Puts the keeper the wrong way and just filled it into the net. Perfect.

mutley
03-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Maybe I was just panicking that it was going to be missed. I think TB said in his interview that it was only our second of the season? That, and I suppose I just remember sparky always blasted them.

JMac
03-01-2014, 02:17 PM
It was a good penalty, positionally not the best. But he watched Macdonald the whole run up. Macdonald moved first, as soon as Craig saw him dive one way, he just put it the other side

machibby
03-01-2014, 02:19 PM

Just listened to Craig's interview on the hibs site, states he thought about smashing it in then after having to wait decided take it as he normally does and wait until the keeper moves - class penalty
:thumbsup:

hibspayne
03-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Watching the video on this thread at my work with the earphones in and all i wanted to do was celebrate when it went it lol but if you watch the video closely it looks like Williams is doing cartwheels outside the area :):)

worcesterhibby
03-01-2014, 02:25 PM
I was a well taken penalty as he waited for the keeper to move. It takes a bit of cool and the skill to be bale to change which way you place it at the last minute. However as a tactic it fails if the keeper decides not to dive, as you then have the task of slotting it right in the corner or he will be able to stop it. But then again blasting it is risky too as it's harder to ensure you don't whoop one over the bar.

Mathew Le Tisser scored 47 of the 48 penalties he took in his career and his tactic was to side foot it firmly to the keepers left, but to keep and eye on the keeper and if he went early he had the ability to change his mind late and whip it into the other corner - that's not my conclusion that's direct from MLT in this Youtube video. Pretty much what Craig did..so I would say it was an excellent penalty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnydQGW-S8g

Jdawg
03-01-2014, 02:36 PM
It was a good penalty, positionally not the best. But he watched Macdonald the whole run up. Macdonald moved first, as soon as Craig saw him dive one way, he just put it the other side positionally it was perfect. You say it was good then not the best. It didnt have to be in the bottom corner as like you said MacDonald was already diving the other way. It was an excellent penalty, fooled keeper all ends up and rolled in away from him.

Jdawg
03-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Back on a plus note, you got to love it when risks pay off But the keeper DIDNT go the right way. Craig SOLD him to the left with his run up and looking to the left and rolled it in the other way. Listen to his interview and he explains it. He was calm, keeper went to early and he rolled it hime. Strange post. A few players had good chances last night and opted to blast it when a placed shot would have been better re: Cairney and Cummings.

patch1875
03-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Anyone notice him have a wee feel of Collins arse in the celebration:greengrin

Sir David Gray
03-01-2014, 09:44 PM
The penalty looked pretty good from where I was sitting.

Jonnyboy
03-01-2014, 09:47 PM

I saw that and wondered :greengrin

Purehibee_MYB
03-01-2014, 09:48 PM

Gives McGivern's a wee pat too. He's a keen bean! :greengrin

Hibby Gav
03-01-2014, 09:48 PM
:agree:

stoneyburn hibs
03-01-2014, 09:50 PM
I saw that and wondered :greengrin

If it was firm ? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
03-01-2014, 09:53 PM
If it was firm ? :greengrin

:faf:

Speedy
03-01-2014, 09:53 PM
It was a great penalty. You can see him looking at the keeper all the way on the run up and he just knocks it the other way.

In that situation you wouldn't want it in the corner either (more chance of it going wide), just anywhere between the middle of the goals and the post.

Stax
03-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Thought it was a great spot kick under immense pressure, sent the keeper the wrong way and knew it was in before it crossed the line. Quality.

B.H.F.C
03-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Can't believe it's been questioned. McDonald dived about 10 minutes before he hit it. All he had to do was roll it in.

Hermit Crab
03-01-2014, 10:57 PM
It was a very confident run up and a confident penalty from a composed player. Regular penalty taker.

southern hibby
03-01-2014, 11:57 PM
Good penalty or bad penalty, the bit I was impressed with how he grabbed the ball and let the rest of the team know you can all do one I'M TAKING THIS. On a night were a miss would have been uncomprehendable a skipper who leads by example by stepping up to the mark. GGTTH

Deansy
04-01-2014, 01:47 AM
Wasn't a case of Craig fooling their goalie - he realised McDonald would cheat so he just waited.

sambajustice
04-01-2014, 02:01 AM
I'm surprised McDonald never guessed the right way, Craig telegraphed it!!

It went in though, brilliant!

Swedish hibee
04-01-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm surprised McDonald never guessed the right way, Craig telegraphed it!!

It went in though, brilliant!

Excellent penalty under pressure. The Hearts players tried to put him off but that's what we expect from them- but Craig stepped up and stayed cool and it hit the net. Wonderful moment and was chuffed for our captain :)

jdships
04-01-2014, 10:52 AM
MacDonald went early, Craig fooled him. Easy finish.

:thumbsup::agree:

Jones28
04-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Personally just felt it was a cool penalty.

KeithTheHibby
04-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Clever penalty, simple as.