PDA

View Full Version : No nonsense Nelson

one day maybe...
02-01-2014, 10:20 PM
As the title says, guy is an old fashioned defender... Brave as they come, awesome tonight IMO.. :flag:

WhileTheChief..
02-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Yup, he's been solid for us.

Our worst spell if the season was when we was out injured.

He doesn't do anything fancy but gets stuck right in and I think Hanlon plays so much better with him alongside.

Benny Brazil
02-01-2014, 10:22 PM
As the title says, guy is an old fashioned defender... Brave as they come, awesome tonight IMO.. :flag:

Aye - except at the Hertz goal when he sold himself too easily :wink:
But do agree he is brave and no-nonsense just what we need in defence

hibee_girl
02-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Agree that he's been great for us but for me the real superstar of the last few games has been Paul Hanlon.

essexhibee
02-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Big guy puts everything on the line. He's limited with the ball at his feet but he knows it so passes it to our better footballing defenders.

Hanlon was fantastic tonight. Different player than has been in previous derbys. Jordon Forster was absolute class as well. Brilliant runs down the line and brilliant crosses.

Scooter
02-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Agree that he's been great for us but for me the real superstar of the last few games has been Paul Hanlon.

Agreed pails been fantastic

J-C
02-01-2014, 10:28 PM
No nonsense yes but we need better and someone who can use the ball better, if Forster is not the new RB, then he should be the starting CB for us next season.

GodisaHibee
02-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Both he and Hanlon were outstanding tonight. Totally solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PeterboroHibee
02-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Hes fantastic when dealing with anything through the air, and will stick himself in front of anything (although he was partially to blame for the goal along with Collins and Robertson). Both he and McGivern annoy me with their distribution though, far too many aimless punts (under no pressure) that just concede possession when theres no need to do so.

Personally I think Hanlon is by far our best defender, hes much more cultured and Id much rather see Nelson trying to get the ball to him than hoofing it forward!

Eyrie
02-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Nelson does the simple stuff that allows Hanlon to concentrate on his own game, making them a very good combination.

hibsbollah
02-01-2014, 11:11 PM
I thought he was a bit ropey first half, and came onto a game in the second. On the other hand, Hanlon was immense tonight and my man of the match.

Jonnyboy
02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
When the freak caught him in the face early doors, Nelson might have kept a low profile had he been a lesser man but none of it! The big fella might not be polished but he shone tonight and his partnership with Hanlon gets better game by game

green.and.white
02-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Him and Hanlon solid again, Butcher has made us so much better :thumbsup:

McD
02-01-2014, 11:34 PM

Thought Hanlon strolled the game, his positioning has improved, he seems to have found some upper body strength and bulk, bit more vocal too.

looks like butcher and malpas haven't just been working with Forster, actually thought Forster, Nelson and Hanlon played very well, mcgivern was not so, thought he was lacking in a lot of positional play, and gave walker too much room when he switched wings.

Onion
02-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Hanlon has been immense last few games - completely transformed - with Nelson looking solid. TB & MM have worked miracles with those two.

Jonnyboy
02-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Hanlon has been immense last few games - completely transformed - with Nelson looking solid. TB & MM have worked miracles with those two.

He has indeed and I think we shouldn't underestimate the effect of playing alongside Nelson has had on Paul. MN is a hugely experienced defender and talks his way through every game, helping those around him :agree:

Kaff
02-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Him and Hanlon solid again, Butcher has made us so much better :thumbsup:

Tbf to Fenlon we were playing well when these two were together and his injury against Celtic was IMO why we lost the cup tie (Nelson would never have attempted that clearance in the way McPake did).
I am absolutely delighted we've got big Tel but I can remember Pat's input too

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-01-2014, 12:48 AM
I agree Kaff. Don't think we would have lost that quarter final if Nelson was playing. Not 'McPake bashing' as far too much of that went on, however he clearly wasn't fit. Don't think we would have lost a goal that night if MN had been playing tbh

cam75
03-01-2014, 12:58 AM
That good I thought he was not on the pitch,back to front solid and playing as a unit,hunger and drive,Players bust a gut for the 12th man at the game and fans dove them forward,GGTTH

hfc rd
03-01-2014, 02:06 AM
I think that's the best CB pairing we have had since Hogg & Jones. Both Nelson and Hanlon have been excellent in recent and tonight showed what a great CB partnership they have built.

SMAXXA
03-01-2014, 02:10 AM
Very underrated and has been a rock for us since he signed, brilliant to have a very decent defence for a change and all play their part....hmm McGivern still needs to up his game to the level of the other 3 though :wink: