PDA

View Full Version : Is Fourth place now a realistic target?

houstonhibbee
01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Looks like Aberdeen and Motherwell are out of sight but Inverness are beginning to struggle and if we beat Hearts we go above St Johnstone into sixth.
Then if we can beat Dundee Utd on Sunday then we're only two points behind them in 5th and within striking distance of Inverness in fourth.
Even if we dont take all six points it seems that fourth place is achievable for the season now? :hibees

Elephant Stone
01-01-2014, 09:42 PM
I've got a fiver on us finishing second at 150/1. Anything less and I'm not going back.

mutley
01-01-2014, 09:44 PM
In football anything is possible!

Whether we can get to 4th I'm not sure, I'd love to see it, but I think top six should definitely be the case for this season

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-01-2014, 09:48 PM
If we can make top six I will be happy. Another cup semi-final would be nice too.

Sir David Gray
01-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Until it's an impossibility, we should be aiming for second place.

Jack Hackett
01-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Motherwell and Aberdeen will be 'out of sight' for me when it's mathematically impossible to catch them. Good runs by teams can alter the table dramatically in a few weeks, as witnessed by the rise and fall of both ICT and DU. Just about every team in the league, barring Celtic and Hertz have had good runs and bad runs. If we take out Hertz and DU in the next couple of games, we'll be on a 'good' run ourselves and the confidence this would build could see us on a table climbing streak that will have the leading group looking over their shoulders

.....On the other hand.... :cb:greengrin

Craig_in_Prague
01-01-2014, 09:55 PM
Some pace / width / creativity added to squad in Jan + Harris back, the Heff / Collins to hit the net more often, then we are capable of a good run in.
A win tomorrow is a must though.

Pretty Boy
01-01-2014, 09:57 PM
We look a tough team to beat at the moment.

4th is possible imo.

matty_f
01-01-2014, 10:06 PM
I think it depends on what business we do in this window. The squad as it is just now is not top 4 standard. We are on a good wee run just now but lots of teams do that when a new manager comes in - we need to see if it's sustainable (FWIW I think Butcher will have us on lots of runs like this, as he did with Inverness).

Talk of top 4 when we're not even in the top 6 yet is premature.

Jones28
01-01-2014, 10:13 PM
I think top 6 is a realistic target

Ronniekirk
01-01-2014, 10:19 PM
I've got a fiver on us finishing second at 150/1. Anything less and I'm not going back.
That's unrealistic

Ronniekirk
01-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Some pace / width / creativity added to squad in Jan + Harris back, the Heff / Collins to hit the net more often, then we are capable of a good run in.
A win tomorrow is a must though.
Spot on and Big Ben to stay as well

Onceinawhile
01-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Two more wins in this run, some good signings and I don't see why not. Need a win tomorrow though.

Itsnoteasy
01-01-2014, 10:59 PM
If we can make top six I will be happy. Another cup semi-final would be nice too.

Another final would be better

HibbyAndy
01-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Top 4 defo achievable

3pm
01-01-2014, 11:21 PM
As it stands just now - no.

A couple of signings and....

hfc rd
02-01-2014, 12:06 AM
Anything can happen in football.

truehibernian
02-01-2014, 12:47 AM
I see there is a story/allegation (on United's forum tonight) about Dundee Utd's players being out on the lash and hence the 8 changes in their game a few days ago - indiscipline creeping into a club and not reported or unearthed by Jim Spence - surely not, after all, Dundee United's youngsters are the cream of the crop, next big things, can't be having anything negative reported about them surely :cb

Someone on twitter able to tweet Jim and ask ? He knows everything else happening at both Doomdee clubs :agree:

If it were Hibs players on the randan you can bet your bottom dollar Gordon and his cronies would be inferring it on the show.

Fergus52
02-01-2014, 02:16 AM
If we keep improving the way we have the last couple of weeks then we should make top 4 :thumbsup:

CallumLaidlaw
02-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Let's get today's game out of the way first. Plenty false dawns in the past. But, huge improvements have been made, and Dundee Utd were apparently stick on's for 2nd place just over a week ago. Look how quickly that's changed.
TB will secretly be desperate to finish above ICT to prove a point.

2 good signings this month, along with the return of Heff and Harris will give us a good squad to choose from. 4th is certainly a possibility.

Ozyhibby
02-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Target should always be to win the next game. That's it.

Islington Hibs
02-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Lets just win tonight!!! But sure I think 4th or 5th is a very realistic target and to be honest will be a bit disappointed if we don't get to 5th. I am sure Butcher would love to put one over his old club......

However for me it is about really getting a team that gels for the second half of this season then a real push for 2nd next season.