PDA

View Full Version : Only an Excuse

Gus Fring
01-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Just finished watching this. It's not as good as it used to be back in the 90's and some of the jokes are older than me but there was a couple of good ones.

The Rangers Mastermind sketch was pretty good as was the Hearts pointless one.

No Hibs jokes though? (Apart from the briefest of mentions for Fenlon) I don't know if that's a good thing or not?

It's on the iPlayer if anyone missed it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03nh35w/Only_an_Excuse_2013/

iwasthere1972
01-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Just finished watching this. It's not as good as it used to be back in the 90's and some of the jokes are older than me but there was a couple of good ones.

The Rangers Mastermind sketch was pretty good as was the Hearts pointless one.

No Hibs jokes though? (Apart from the briefest of mentions for Fenlon) I don't know if that's a good thing or not?

It's on the iPlayer if anyone missed it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03nh35w/Only_an_Excuse_2013/

For what it's worth I thought it was as funny as having piles. The Elvis sketch. What was that all about.

A whole year to come up with a half hour of total tosh.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking by it.

The Gorf
01-01-2014, 03:51 PM
For what it's worth I thought it was as funny as having piles. The Elvis sketch. What was that all about.

Totally agree. Total pa*h apart from the Hertz pointless section.
choosing the Rangers Chairman was quite funny but it's as if they were told an hour before the show that they had to do a show.

Boyle89
01-01-2014, 03:59 PM
I'm gettin sick of it. So many things he has to choose from but he just does the same things over and over again. Needs to stop the salmond stuff as it's crap. Where was billy brown going mental? Easily one of the funniest things to happen this year!

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-01-2014, 04:03 PM
I never watched it, but, its been past its sell-by date for longer than Joan Collins!

Ricky Bobby
01-01-2014, 04:08 PM

Agree with this. A whole year and only one half arsed hearts gag. Poor stuff

gillie
01-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Agree with this. A whole year and only one half arsed hearts gag. Poor stuff
Yup have to agree a big let doon I'm looking forward to rab c nisbet so hoping that's no as bad

hfc rd
01-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Agree with the majority on here. This programme isn't as good as what it used to be.

bob12345
01-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Someone needs to take the gig off Jonathon Watson, it's gone stale. Sure there are a lot funnier people out there.

HibbySpurs
01-01-2014, 05:12 PM
I don't get the point of the political sketches, thought it was meant to be about football?

Poorer by the year IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Hibby70
01-01-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm of the opinion that the guy has no interest in football whatsoever. It's not like there's been an absence of material over the last 12 months.

Time it was put out of its misery.

Groathillgrump
01-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Someone needs to take the gig off Jonathon Watson, it's gone stale. Sure there are a lot funnier people out there.

Agree with that 100%. :agree:

It was dire. Some fresh ideas needed as Watson has completely lost the ability to make people laugh. It was as funny as a half an hour in the dentist's chair having your teeth drilled without anaesthetic.

Albanian Hibs
01-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Thought it was crap, as usual

Billychaotic182
01-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Sick of the same jokes every year

It was more about the vote than football this year.

Itsnoteasy
01-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Only an excuse. They should have just done 30 mins on quotes fi yams and sevco

Grizz
01-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Stopped being funny about 20 years ago when Tony Roper etc were all still on it - Complete & utter pish.

PatHead
01-01-2014, 06:03 PM
If you think that was bad you should have watched STVs New Year effort.

tamig
01-01-2014, 06:12 PM
I actually thought it was a bit better than last years. Still not nearly as good as it was years ago and some of the material and characters are.now dated and way too predictable. Thought his Fergie ads and B&Q sketches were decent.

Jonnyboy
01-01-2014, 08:25 PM
If you think that was bad you should have watched STVs New Year effort.

Notice that Scottish Television had a film starting at 12.05am. I know New Year is a world event but Scotland is generally known as its home!

FitbaFolkKen
01-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Wasn't too bad this year, Fergie reading bed time stories made me laugh

hibbydog
01-01-2014, 10:44 PM
They need to pull the plug on this pish.

20 years ago it was hilarious, cutting edge stuff and fitted in perfectly in Hogmanay telly.

Now it's tired & repetitive, snore snore

capitals_finest
01-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Cannot watch this. Bring back chewing the fat or still game.

hfc rd
02-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Cannot watch this. Bring back chewing the fat or still game.

This.

monktonharp
02-01-2014, 12:37 AM
did not think it was as bad as some think.what do you want? rikki fulton wi the full on motor bike gear? some of it was keek, but some good. I do like a bit o' the auld victor and his mate though:greengrin

R'Albin
02-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Considering they have a year to come up with it, surely they can produce something slightly funnier?

There has to be some semi-talented writers willing to take over this slot? It's not really that hard, get a decent impressionist (cough, Paul Reid, cough) to come on and do a believable impression from a script that's at least moderately funny.

I really want to like OAE, it actually provides some exposure for Scottish football and it could, should, be funny. Sadly it's written by people who aren't.

JOD
02-01-2014, 01:51 AM
Gotta say worst one I've seen--------------Past its sell by date time to move on Jonathan my friend. :bye:

fatbloke
02-01-2014, 02:21 AM
Absolute cringeworthy p155. Time to ban it sine die.

hibbeedavid
02-01-2014, 02:25 AM
It must be the first time in the best part of a decade that I've seen it, not as funny as 20 years ago but I was still quite amused by it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared after hearing about it going downhill in recent years

Greentinted
02-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Sorry attempt at humour - mind you, coming from a BBC Scotland that sucked the comedy out of the Bob Servant books (Watson again right enough) and serves up the painfully talentless and unfunny Brian Limond with a Xmas special it's hardly a surprise they still dust the mothballs from Johnny Watson's pish impressions and gie the useless welt an airing.

BBC Scotland Comedy - lost it years ago; time for them to drag themselves into the 21st Century!

Steve20
02-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Was good back in the 90s, but that's a while back now. Should have ended years ago.

Northernhibee
02-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Hideously unfunny.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Would anyone under 20 even know who Frank McAvennie is if it wasn't for Only An Excuse?

Cutting edge satire.

NAE NOOKIE
02-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Utter peesh these days. Apart from the Mastermind joke about the The Rangers first trophy win and the Yam pointless joke it was terrible.

Hell there must be tons of stuff to work with in the current Yams situation and all that. Instead we get Alex Ferguson and Frank McAvennie for the 10th year running .... and what the hell was all the Alex Salmond stuff about? I thought it was supposed to be a fitba show.

Aboot as funny as watching yer team gettin' relegated.

heretoday
02-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Scottish football is so boring now it's hard to make jokes about it. There aren't the same characters as there used to be.

Also Watson is a hun so that's not funny to start with!

Diclonius
02-01-2014, 11:52 AM
the painfully talentless and unfunny Brian Limond

Absolutely not.

Hibernia Na Eir
02-01-2014, 12:04 PM

aye, it finished being remotely funny years ago. didn't even record it this year. Waste of half an hour I'd never get back!

jacomo
02-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Just watched this and thought it was ok. The Mastermind sketch worked for me. They do seem stuck in a bit of a rut though.