PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 31st December 1972

Jack
31-12-2013, 09:31 PM
What were you doing?

I honestly cant remember.

Probably had a wee sleep then up to the Tron with a few mates before scouring Leith for random parties.

One things for sure. I woke up somewhere, checked I had my match ticket and headed off to The Saville Dome, as it was known then :giggle:

At 3 pm the crowd ******g roared and the next 90 minutes of football was the stuff of song and legend.

Jimmy O’Rourke thought he was set
When he put the ball in the jam tarts net
Bye Bye jam tarts

Alan Gordon running through
Cooly stroked in number two
Bye Bye jam tarts

Bobby Seith thought that he was only dreaming
When Arthur Duncan hammered number three in

The Hibees choir sang for more
Alex Cropley made it four
Bye Bye jam tarts

Hearts defenders on the skive
Arthur Duncan made it five
Bye Bye jam tarts

Paddy Stanton showed his tricks
As Jimmy O’Rourke scored number 6
Bye Bye jam tarts

Eddie Turnbull thought he was up in heaven
When Alan Gordon knocked in number seven

The Hibees fans wanted eight
But the jam tarts finally shut the gate
jam tarts bye bye

BroxburnHibee
31-12-2013, 09:42 PM
I was in am bed probably - 4 years old :greengrin

weonlywon6-2
31-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Probably bumped of to bed,i was seven !!!!

Hibercelona
31-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Was having a discussion with god, desperately trying to convince him to allow Hibs to give Hearts a massive pumping the next day.

Aldo
31-12-2013, 09:56 PM
I was nearly 2. So no memories for me but my Dad and uncle who were both at game have relived the game in many occasions, usually after a few drinks or 10.

Jonnyboy
31-12-2013, 10:01 PM
What were you doing?

Probably had a wee sleep then up to the Tron with a few mates before scouring Leith for random parties.

One things for sure. I woke up somewhere, checked I had my match ticket and headed off to The Saville Dome, as it was known then :giggle:

At 3 pm the crowd ******g roared and the next 90 minutes of football was the stuff of song and legend.

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

jam tarts bye bye

Happy days Jack, happy days :thumbsup:

eastterrace
31-12-2013, 10:03 PM
went to my bed about 8 in the morning woke up at 11 am and had massive hangover so wasnt going to go to game but my mates talked me into it and as they say the rest is history.

Hibby Gav
31-12-2013, 10:23 PM
:top marks
What were you doing?

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

jam tarts bye bye

Great stuff !

Saorsa
31-12-2013, 10:27 PM
It was my 1st birthday :greengrin

Hiber-nation
31-12-2013, 10:35 PM
At ma Aunties, watching all the adults getting pished, desperately waiting for the big day :thumbsup:

jonty
31-12-2013, 10:38 PM
I was -10 months. Or maybe I was 4 weeks late.

I lay claim to being a 0-7 child.:greengrin

Aldo
31-12-2013, 11:35 PM
It was my 1st birthday :greengrin

You wernae that young surely?? ;-)

Forza Fred
01-01-2014, 12:13 AM
41 years to the day, 12000 kilometres away, I am wearing my 7-0 t shirt, in the hope that when doing my garden a Yam will drive by.:thumbsup:

Saorsa
01-01-2014, 12:14 AM
You wernae that young surely?? ;-):na na:

HoboHarry
01-01-2014, 12:24 AM
I was 10... wiz up drinkin' wi ma da....... :greengrin

Torto7062
01-01-2014, 12:45 AM
I was just a seed in my pappa's bollocks
But i know he was gassed before during and
After

southern hibby
01-01-2014, 02:02 AM
Fathers a Jambo ( he's not mine mother was on the game when I was conceived, rather be a wino's offspring than a jambo's).
He was at the game, only thing he has ever mentioned was him and a HIBS mate had a bet on for a nip per goal. Said Hibs b@@@@@d emptied me bottle. Lol. Oh and to answer the question I was 4 and father said even then he wasn't interested I'n taking me to the football as all I mentioned was HIBS. Thank goodness he never took me to see that shower I could / would have ended up emotionally and mentally scared. GGTTH

Bostonhibby
01-01-2014, 02:30 AM
Big house party that went on all night. As a 12 year old I skimmed the odd drink, ate all the rubbish that was available,hibs house and lots of good drunken singing. remember getting dropped off next day outside my uncles at dalry. with some mates, some of whom were hearts fans of that era from my estate. Coming back was Euphoric. Really do remember all of the game but even now I don't remember the journey back. I just know I walked with a group of Hibbies to Regent Road and then got picked up.

FranckSuzy
01-01-2014, 03:32 AM
41 years to the day, 12000 kilometres away, I am wearing my 7-0 t shirt, in the hope that when doing my garden a Yam will drive by.:thumbsup:

:top marks Saw Gary's pic of you :thumbsup:

Ronniekirk
01-01-2014, 04:31 AM
What were you doing?

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

jam tarts bye bye

Was 15 at the time and travelled through on train from fife Remember the above song used to love singing it .Remember going back to Edinburgh and waiting outside the North British hotel for the players to appear on the balcony .one of the best days of my life .Thought that was how it would always be .Always nice to reminisce at this time of year especially before a Derby Remember we used to take over 17 000 fans to Tynecastle and you were packed in like sardines and swaying with the crowd You could get crushed trying to track those lovely toilet facilities

Bostonhibby
01-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Was 15 at the time and travelled through on train from fife Remember the above song used to love singing it .Remember going back to Edinburgh and waiting outside the North British hotel for the players to appear on the balcony .one of the best days of my life .Thought that was how it would always be .Always nice to reminisce at this time of year especially before a Derby Remember we used to take over 17 000 fans to Tynecastle and you were packed in like sardines and swaying with the crowd You could get crushed trying to track those lovely toilet facilities

Happy days, and if anyone is feeling particularly nostalgic you can go down to tiny and still see the exact same toilets today - hopefully they will keep them in the same state when its a museum.

Lucius Apuleius
01-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Was in a nightclub in Avonmouth. The local female nightfighters were going to march on the ship and demand to know from the skipper why he would not let a young Scots lad pay off and go home for Hogmanay. I pointed out it was a wee bit too late. :-)

...WentToMowAnSPL
01-01-2014, 12:38 PM
I was 1 year old... Can't remember must have had a good night '

Golden Bear
01-01-2014, 12:41 PM
I can't remember but the events of the following day are etched in my memory forever.

:flag:

HiBremian
01-01-2014, 01:20 PM
A few bevvies into the evening

Off to the Tron

:smokin:smokin

Cannae remember the rest o' the night

Off to the asbestos factory with a wee bottle of malt in the pocket - after a few 0-0s, the mates insisted on a dram for each goal.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::p artyhibb:cheers:

Cannae remember the rest o' the night

whiskyhibby
01-01-2014, 01:32 PM
What were you doing?

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

jam tarts bye bye

Great stuff, brings back some memories, one being that I was in my bed as a 7 year old in the huff as my dad wouldn't take me with him the next day to Tynie, even more pissed off when he came back late the next night after a few bevvies and told me the score :-))

AK86
01-01-2014, 01:46 PM
What were you doing?

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

jam tarts bye bye

match ticket :rolleyes: 1973 ? Don't think so Jack.

Jack
01-01-2014, 01:54 PM

I'm fairly certain, I'm not going to fall out with anyone over it. There were quite a few ticketed matches around that time.

CyberSauzee
01-01-2014, 01:57 PM

For the stand?

scoopyboy
01-01-2014, 02:02 PM
For the stand?

The stand that day was indeed all ticket. Rest of the ground was pay at the gate.

AK86
01-01-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm fairly certain, I'm not going to fall out with anyone over it. There were quite a few ticketed matches around that time.
You may be correct. I can't remember having to get a ticket for derby games until the late 80s.
Also I have never heard of or seen a ticket stub from 73.

how much does a programme from that match fetch these days?

edwards
01-01-2014, 03:49 PM
What were you doing?

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

Bye Bye jam tarts

jam tarts bye bye

Started off the same as you pub crawl up the high street then saw in the new year at the tron then off down to my mates aunt for her new year party in Lochend absolutely p1shed, remember my mates coming in for me to take me to the game and I was completly nuggets.
they actually dragged me out of bed but that didn't work either, what happened next traumatised me turned the radio on and O'Rourke was on the ball commentator stating he was the man that started it all then he rattled off all the scorers.
5-0 for Hibs WTF when it finished 7-0 I wanted to throw myself out the window, of course my mates came back via my front door to give me major stick.

Keith_M
01-01-2014, 03:53 PM
My Dad said his memory of this match is that he couldn't go because I wasn't well and he had to get to a chemist for some medication (I was six y/o). He'd forgotten that the game started at 2pm instead of 3 and said he was amazed when got to Princes St around 3 to be confronted by hoardes of Hearts fans heading home. Most of them had apparently left before or around half-time.

Unsurprisingly, he had a terrible time getting the score out of any of them and, when one of them finally said he had left at HT with Hearts 5 goals down, he thought the guy was drunk. I believe, not being the bravest of men, he decided to keep his footballing allegiances quiet. :greengrin