PDA

View Full Version : Names of the ends of the ground

gillie
31-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Growing up in the 70/80s I recall the famous five stand being called the cow shed and the away end called the Dunbar end but while talking with a friend today he suggested I was slavering I'm hoping someone will confirm he was indeed the slaver

Waxy
31-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Growing up in the 70/80s I recall the famous five stand being called the cow shed and the away end called the Dunbar end but while talking with a friend today he suggested I was slavering I'm hoping someone will confirm he was indeed the slaverCorrect

McD
31-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Growing up in the 70/80s I recall the famous five stand being called the cow shed and the away end called the Dunbar end but while talking with a friend today he suggested I was slavering I'm hoping someone will confirm he was indeed the slaver

South stand/away stand was indeed known as the Dunbar end, I grew up knowing it as that

mim
31-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Dunbars lemonade factory was at the South end of the ground, hence 'The Dunbar end'

gillie
31-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Dunbars lemonade factory was at the South end of the ground, hence 'The Dunbar end'

Yes that's what I was saying to him,I assumed this was widely known
Thanks guys

gillie
31-12-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm now wondering if the ends of the grounds have been known by any other names prior to this

wazoo1875
31-12-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm now wondering if the ends of the grounds have been known by any other names prior to this

The coo shed is/was also known by some as the cave

gillie
31-12-2013, 06:38 PM
The coo shed is/was also. known by some as the cave

For Any particular reason?

stevenhibs
31-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Not sure if this was just the name my old man had for it but he always referred to the East Stand as the terracing.

marinello59
31-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Johnnyboy still likes to refer to our ground as The Meadows.:agree:

Jonnyboy
31-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Johnnyboy still likes to refer to our ground as The Meadows.:agree:

Indeed and that's only cos there was nae grass in the Coogate for a kickaround :greengrin

wazoo1875
31-12-2013, 08:22 PM
For Any particular reason?

I think it was when they put the roof on, it sort of resembled one!

jdships
31-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Way way back when I first went in 1940 some referred to the north end as the "Cemetery End " but it never was used regularly by punters .
When they put the roof on it became " The Cow Shed " although as some said it was also called the " Cave" because of it resembling such an area !! It never really caught on either .
South end has as long as I have attended been known as "The Dunbar(s) End " and the East side as " The Terracing ".

Don't forget Playing " down the slope " !!
Happy days indeed : with a wonderful atmosphere the likes of which we will never know again ( sadly)

:not worth

hibIBZ
31-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Not sure if this was just the name my old man had for it but he always referred to the East Stand as the terracing.

My dad and uncle both still refer to the east stand as the terracing

weonlywon6-2
31-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Cow shed was great,they would open the gates and let fans in if it started raining,always had a great wee atmosphere in it

Alfred E Newman
31-12-2013, 09:20 PM
It was the McLeod St end and the Dunbar end when I started going.

Ringothedog
31-12-2013, 09:30 PM
It was the McLeod St end and the Dunbar end when I started going.

Surely that was at another ground in the city ?

The Harp
31-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Can still remember being at a game just prior to the cow shed being built and seeing several big holes had been dug in the terracing steps. We were all saying "no, it cannae be for pillars" - this was in the era of cantilever stands. How wrong we were?!?:rolleyes:

--------
01-01-2014, 12:24 AM
When I first started going to ER The old Main Syand was just "The Stand".

The wee bit of standing terrace in front of it was "The Enclosure".

The terrace opposite the Stand was simply "The Terrace", "The Terracing", or "The Main Terrace/Terracing".

The South end of the ground was "The Dunbar End" from the Dunbar's fizzy drinks factory that stood just behind that end. (I used to love their Red Kola, btw.)

And the North end was "The Albion Road End", for reasons that are fairly obvious.

There was a weird concrete erection at the Albion Road End, called either "The Cowshed" or "The Cave". This was where the really diehard Hibbies gathered (the view btw was dreadful, since the pillars supporting the roof were about two feet square - it looked like a Nazi U-boat pen that had got stranded when the tide went out - but I can remember great high jinks in there whenever a group of away fans tried to move in under the roof.)

That, as far as I can remember, was the way things were around 1965, though I'm happy to be better informed by any other auld codger with a few more marbles than I have left.

The pitch sloped downwards towards the Albion Road End - the Dunbar End goals were 8 feet higher that the ones at the Albion Road End, and Hibs always played up the slope first half if they won the toss. Down the slope second half we were terrifying (to the opposition) - the momentum would build and build and then the guys in the Stand would start a chant of "Gerrintaethum" and stamp their feet in unison - Da-dum Da-DAH, Da-dum Da-DAH - and the old TIN shed would resonate like a huge drum and the guys on the terraces would join in clapping their hands and the clouds of cigarette smoke and the smell of liniment would waft round the ground under the floodlights on their high pylons ...

... and I think I'm gonnae cry. :boo hoo:

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE.

:tbgwa::tbgwa::tbgwa::tbgwa::tbgwa:

ShadesLongThrow
01-01-2014, 12:56 AM
Great memories Doddie. The other thing I remember around this time of year was the smell of cigar smoke in the main stand. It never seemed to be at any other time apart from Christmas and New Year.

Bobo
01-01-2014, 01:13 AM

The terrace opposite the Stand was simply "The Terrace", "The Terracing", or "The Main Terrace/Terracing".

The South end of the ground was "The Dunbar End" from the Dunbar's fizzy drinks factory that stood just behind that end. (I used to love their Red Kola, btw.)

And the North end was "The Albion Road End", for reasons that are fairly obvious.

There was a weird concrete erection at the Albion Road End, called either "The Cowshed" or "The Cave". This was where the really diehard Hibbies gathered (the view btw was dreadful, since the pillars supporting the roof were about two feet sq uare - it looked like a Nazi U-boat pen that had got stranded when the tide went out - but I can remember great high jinks in there whenever a group of away fans tried to move in under the roof.)

That, as far as I can remember, was the way things were around 1965, though I'm happy to be better informed by any other auld codger with a few more marbles than I have left.

The pitch sloped downwards towards the Albion Road End - the Dunbar End goals were 8 feet higher that the ones at the Albion Road End, and Hibs always played up the slope first half if they won the toss. Down the slope second half we were terrifying (to the opposition) - the momentum would build and build and then the guys in the Stand would start a chant of "Gerrintaethum" and stamp their feet in unison - Da-dum Da-DAH, Da-dum Da-DAH - and the old TIN shed would resonate like a huge drum and the guys on the terraces would join in clapping their hands and the clouds of cigarette smoke and the smell of liniment would waft round the ground under the floodlights on their high pylons ...

Posted this before, part of the old factory is still there :aok:

--------
01-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Great memories Doddie. The other thing I remember around this time of year was the smell of cigar smoke in the main stand. It never seemed to be at any other time apart from Christmas and New Year.

Oh my yes. Everybody seemed to get cigars for Christmas. Wills' Panatellas in individual aluminium tubes IIRC.

Or the wee Dutch ones in the flat tins. :cb

Billy McKirdy
01-01-2014, 05:04 AM

There was a weird concrete erection at the Albion Road End, called either "The Cowshed" or "The Cave". This was where the really diehard Hibbies gathered (the view btw was dreadful, since the pillars supporting the roof were about two feet square

Ah! The cooshed :-)
Remember on the concrete roof supports, someone bizzarly painted the word "plug" on the beam?
Now being a 10 year old who read comics like The Beano at the time, I always imagined Plug from The Bash Street Kids doing that for a laugh. A bit random I know but I always thought that whenever I saw it :-D

MGmick
01-01-2014, 07:00 AM

There was a weird concrete erection at the Albion Road End, called either "The Cowshed" or "The Cave". This was where the really diehard Hibbies gathered (the view btw was dreadful, since the pillars supporting the roof were about two feet square - it looked like a Nazi U-boat pen that had got stranded when the tide went out - but I can remember great high jinks in there whenever a group of away fans tried to move in under the roof.)

Aye. Beautiful memories.

As I once almost said to Linda Lusardi.

Alfred E Newman
01-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Surely that was at another ground in the city ?

Sorry, old age! I meant Albion Road!!!

andy1875
01-01-2014, 08:21 AM
I recall one game that was going to be potentially called off due to the cow shed roof being ripped off with high winds.

The game went ahead anyway and I'm positive it was against Rangers (losing 4-3). I might be wrong.

gillie
01-01-2014, 08:30 AM

My first memory of going to Easter road was the very chant getintaethum and for some reason a vision after the game had finished of mist visible in the floodlights blowing down the slope across in front of the advert for the pink news that perched up on the main stand, standing in the east stand to this day I still sometimes get that flashback,

hibby67
01-01-2014, 08:38 AM
THE DUNBAR END
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk07e6Qn_Y9jFX9FM2XOA0gy77DzacJ w3ISaozGXLFFk3yHf03Ng (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=45wReWqS8GJpFM&tbnid=vKs1O8nDeMQ5lM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prosigns.biz%2Fpage2.htm&ei=kODDUsncIYfV0QWL9IDADQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNFlGrn2Tb9CugFtiBbns8GJ6KjLMw&ust=1388655066329705)

THE COOSHEAD

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvgkh4Zj7rgCCue1tJErcnBJu_nDcRT EuocLmxhVUANFdnALiI (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=q7oKtaMouZq6vM&tbnid=19_W3cHRHZHcQM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXPS vDvSFpQ8&ei=t-HDUrCPBdKY1AWy_oDoDA&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNERyHV0v92yg1p9TrYS6uijLREsmg&ust=1388655393863117)

macca70
01-01-2014, 08:43 AM
The Old Coo Shed wi the uncomfiest wooden benches ever, had a season ticket in there as a wee boy before moving over to the terracing.

The pie hut was up the back, if I remember correctly then I kind of remember it being moved doon to the bottom right.

Remember walking back up from the Pie Hut wi ma Kit Kat and being blootered by a stray shot, I'm sure it was captured on Sportscene, I'll need to dig oot the VHS tapes to find it.

There was a scoreboard on the roof of the Coo Shed, until the high winds blew it doon and I'm sure they had to shut it for a while cause it became unsafe.

gillie
01-01-2014, 08:43 AM
THE DUNBAR END
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk07e6Qn_Y9jFX9FM2XOA0gy77DzacJ w3ISaozGXLFFk3yHf03Ng (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=45wReWqS8GJpFM&tbnid=vKs1O8nDeMQ5lM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prosigns.biz%2Fpage2.htm&ei=kODDUsncIYfV0QWL9IDADQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNFlGrn2Tb9CugFtiBbns8GJ6KjLMw&ust=1388655066329705)

THE COOSHEAD

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvgkh4Zj7rgCCue1tJErcnBJu_nDcRT EuocLmxhVUANFdnALiI (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=q7oKtaMouZq6vM&tbnid=19_W3cHRHZHcQM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXPS vDvSFpQ8&ei=t-HDUrCPBdKY1AWy_oDoDA&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNERyHV0v92yg1p9TrYS6uijLREsmg&ust=1388655393863117)
You use to get a great view of Arthur's seat behind the Dunbar end

Golden Bear
01-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Does anyone else remember the Hibs Social Club that was situated behind the old east terracing?

It was the perfect place for a pre-match bevvy as it was only a very short staggering distance to the ground.

derekHFC
01-01-2014, 08:55 AM
First game I went to, we went to the Coo'shed.

I've only ever been in the Dunbar end once. It was a European game v either Videoton or maybe FC Brugge.

H18sry
01-01-2014, 09:07 AM
I seem to remember in the late seventies the bit between the coo shed and the terracing, under the floodlight being known as the triangle. :agree:

Peevemor
01-01-2014, 09:12 AM

I've only ever been in the Dunbar end once. It was a European game v either Videoton or maybe FC Brugge.

Me too - for the Anderlecht game.

Barney McGrew
01-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Me too - for the Anderlecht game.

It was bonkers in there that night :greengrin

gillie
01-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Does anyone else remember the Hibs Social Club that was situated behind the old east terracing?

It was the perfect place for a pre-match bevvy as it was only a very short staggering distance to the ground.
It's not somewhere I'm aware of, what year are you roughly talking about?

gillie
01-01-2014, 09:22 AM
It was bonkers in there that night :greengrin

Only time I've been was the aek Athens game it was a bit mad that night too, great atmosphere

Golden Bear
01-01-2014, 09:24 AM
It's not somewhere I'm aware of, what year are you roughly talking about?

Early seventies I'm thinking?

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-01-2014, 09:36 AM

I was in that end for both of those games. Cannae remember why. Getting on for thirty years on and off and have always been in the East apart from a handfull of games.

gillie
01-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Way way back when I first went in 1940 some referred to the north end as the "Cemetery End " but it never was used regularly by punters .
When they put the roof on it became " The Cow Shed " although as some said it was also called the " Cave" because of it resembling such an area !! It never really caught on either .
South end has as long as I have attended been known as "The Dunbar(s) End " and the East side as " The Terracing ".

Don't forget Playing " down the slope " !!
Happy days indeed : with a wonderful atmosphere the likes of which we will never know again ( sadly)

:not worth
Wow 73 years following the hibs, can't be far of our longest serving fan

mim
01-01-2014, 10:06 AM

Certainly do. It was in the car park, which is now flats.

gillie
01-01-2014, 10:16 AM
I seem to remember in the late seventies the bit between the coo shed and the terracing, under the floodlight being known as the triangle. :agree:
Anyone else recall this

Golden Bear
01-01-2014, 10:19 AM

Good! I was beginning to question my sanity as few folk can remember that Club.

gillie
01-01-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm guessing this is now the club that is in Sunnyside?

Golden Bear
01-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Anyone else recall this

:agree:

I was a "regular" in that part of the ground. It was always great craic and offered a surprisingly good viewing point for the game.

McD
01-01-2014, 10:32 AM

I'm jealous, would love to have went to matches in those days, with that kind of atmosphere :boo hoo:

Itsnoteasy
01-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Wow 73 years following the hibs, can't be far of our longest serving fan

That,s devotion. My dad has been going since he was 8 he is now 75. Remember my mum telling me she had given birth to me and he had to get away to go to the match. Still going home and away every week. Still a few old school diehards still with us.

iwasthere1972
01-01-2014, 11:29 AM
In the coo shed on European Nights against Liverpool and Leeds United. East terracing when we put five past Dino Zoff as we crushed Naples 5-0.

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
Those were the days
Those were the days my friend.

hibbybrian
01-01-2014, 11:53 AM

Old Clubhouse in Car Park

Sunnyside Supporters Club

Nailrod
01-01-2014, 12:06 PM
In the coo shed on European Nights against Liverpool and Leeds United. East terracing when we put five past Dino Zoff as we crushed Naples 5-0...
I was in the Dunbar End behind the goals for the Napoli game. Nowadays the only goal I can still remember is Bobby Duncan's. It was like he hit it straight at me. Dunbar End for Juventus and Hajduk Split as well. Terracing for Liverpool, Sporting Lisbon, Rosenborg, Besa. (South) Enclosure for Leeds (probably something to do with parents and kids). Can't remember where I was against Malmo first time round; unfortunately I was in 'The Shed' more recently :-(

I've been on the terracing in the days when it still had the top tier and it was full against teams like Hearts, Celtic and Rangers. Had to be the best view in any football ground in the world. Arthur's Seat to the left, the Firth of Forth to the right, and the pitch spread out like a green carpet, miles below you. :-)

Alfred E Newman
01-01-2014, 12:16 PM
:agree:

I was a "regular" in that part of the ground. It was always great craic and offered a surprisingly good viewing point for the game.

Aye John, spend many a pleasant afternoon there running up and down the terracing to hurl abuse at some unfortunate linesman. Do you remember the guy at the front of the terracing who who used to follow the poor sod up and down the park ? Great days.

whiskyhibby
01-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Can still remember being at a game just prior to the cow shed being built and seeing several big holes had been dug in the terracing steps. We were all saying "no, it cannae be for pillars" - this was in the era of cantilever stands. How wrong we were?!?:rolleyes:

Was it not called the Centenary stand?

thebakerboy
01-01-2014, 12:25 PM
I was in the Dunbar End behind the goals for the Napoli game. Nowadays the only goal I can still remember is Bobby Duncan's. It was like he hit it straight at me. Dunbar End for Juventus and Hajduk Split as well. Terracing for Liverpool, Sporting Lisbon, Rosenborg, Besa. (South) Enclosure for Leeds (probably something to do with parents and kids). Can't remember where I was against Malmo first time round; unfortunately I was in 'The Shed' more recently :-(

I've been on the terracing in the days when it still had the top tier and it was full against teams like Hearts, Celtic and Rangers. Had to be the best view in any football ground in the world. Arthur's Seat to the left, the Firth of Forth to the right, and the pitch spread out like a green carpet, miles below you. :-)

Remember being passed over hands to the front of the Dunbar end for a European match under lights way back as a laddie in the fifties , also in Dunbar end for the Real Madrid game. Was in the Main Stand for the Napoli game right behind Bobby Duncan's shot for the first goal. Remember that being divided into the North and South stands and the same for the Enclosure with Visiting fans being put in the South at big games. Also remember going to old high terracing for a Celtic game and being lifted off my feet by the crush when a horde of Celtic fans poured in just at KO.

Mr White
01-01-2014, 12:35 PM
I recall one game that was going to be potentially called off due to the cow shed roof being ripped off with high winds.

The game went ahead anyway and I'm positive it was against Rangers (losing 4-3). I might be wrong.

You're right, 92-93 season. I was in the cow shed that day and it felt pretty strange without the roof. Watched the highlights on you tube recently and was reminded how good a game it was, we deserved to take something from it.

The Harp
01-01-2014, 01:15 PM

Yeah, remember it well. Was a member of it when it first opened, could've been around '68. Very handy before the games.

Keith_M
01-01-2014, 01:19 PM
My memories of Easter Road start after segregation had already been in place for a few years (79/80) so I don't remember changing ends at half-time. What I do remember was having a small, unoffical 'singing section' just in front of the path that split the terracing two thirds of the way up, next to the segregation fence.

As others have said, they used to open the gates to the Cave/Cowshed when it rained and we would stream in there. The atmosphere was much better than on an uncovered terrace. I recall wondering why it was that ER seemed to be the only stadium who's Main Terrace had no roof and wished they would build one. It duly arrived in 1985, and the atmosphere was so much better thereafter... even if they did build it with far too many pillars (I think it was 9)

gillie
01-01-2014, 01:58 PM
My memories of Easter Road start after segregation had already been in place for a few years (79/80) so I don't remember changing ends at half-time. What I do remember was having a small, unoffical 'singing section' just in front of the path that split the terracing two thirds of the way up, next to the segregation fence.

As others have said, they used to open the gates to the Cave/Cowshed when it rained and we would stream in there. The atmosphere was much better than on an uncovered terrace. I recall wondering why it was that ER seemed to be the only stadium who's Main Terrace had no roof and wished they would build one. It duly arrived in 1985, and the atmosphere was so much better thereafter... even if they did build it with far too many pillars (I think it was 9)
As I remember I always wanted it to rain when we played hertz as the Dunbar end was the last to be covered

MM19
01-01-2014, 02:33 PM
I'm guessing this is now the club that is in Sunnyside?

No the Hibs club in Sunnyside was always a different club.

blackpoolhibs
01-01-2014, 02:38 PM
My mate Billy when referring to the old east terracing always says he used to stand at the top of Shaws heights.

hibby6270
01-01-2014, 02:47 PM

Hate to say it but these are pictures of the same building in Sunnyside. The tenement building in the background is the give away.

That said there were definitely 2 clubs. The one in the car park behind the East Terracing entrance turnstiles did exist but I think both clubs ran independent of each other.

As I recall the the one behind the East was taken over by Lothian Regional Council and used as a Social Work Centre? Does anyone remember that?

hibbybrian
01-01-2014, 02:49 PM
My mate Billy when referring to the old east terracing always says he used to stand at the top of Shaws heights.

cabbageandribs1875
01-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Hate to say it but these are pictures of the same building in Sunnyside. The tenement building in the background is the give away.

That said there were definitely 2 clubs. The one in the car park behind the East Terracing entrance turnstiles did exist but I think both clubs ran independent of each other.

As I recall the the one behind the East was taken over by Lothian Regional Council and used as a Social Work Centre? Does anyone remember that?

yep, my auld man(worked at shrubhill) used to take me up there for a game of pool when i was a young laddie:agree: it was actually a social club, iirc it closed as a supporters club because of a stabbing outside(rather patchy memory)

hibby6270
01-01-2014, 02:54 PM
As I remember I always wanted it to rain when we played hertz as the Dunbar end was the last to be covered

Don't think the Dunbar end was ever covered when it was terracing. So until they built the current South stand, Hertz fans (or any away fans for that matter) always got pee'd on when it rained. :aok::greengrin

Keith_M
01-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Brian, sorry to be a spoilsport but I think they're actually both pictures of the club in Sunnyside. The first one is just older, before it was re-furbished. If you look carefuly, the buildings in the background are actually the same, the back of the tenements in Easter Road.

Jonnyboy
01-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Wasn't he club in the old car park St Andrews Bowling Club?

Septimus
01-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Me too, for the Leeds game when Pat Stanton missed a penalty

Golden Bear
01-01-2014, 08:02 PM

Not as I recollect. I'm not absolutely positive but I think it was a Hibs social club and a membership card was involved to gain entry.

Jonnyboy
01-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Not as I recollect. I'm not absolutely positive but I think it was a Hibs social club and a membership card was involved to gain entry.

Something stirring in the depths of my addled brain tells me you just might be right GB :agree:

trev the hat
01-01-2014, 08:05 PM

Was that not at the Dunbar end JB ? Remember a bowling club there & was at a christening there bout 12yr ago.(gone now tho)
The club at the terracing I can recall being run by the social work when I was younger, we knew every inch of that big wall & it's weaknesses (wink) if couldn't get lift over.

Jonnyboy
01-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Was that not at the Dunbar end JB ? Remember a bowling club there & was at a christening there bout 12yr ago.(gone now tho)
The club at the terracing I can recall being run by the social work when I was younger, we knew every inch of that big wall & it's weaknesses (wink) if couldn't get lift over.

Quite possibly trev. It's an age thing, this forgetting business :greengrin

The Harp
01-01-2014, 08:26 PM
yep, my auld man(worked at shrubhill) used to take me up there for a game of pool when i was a young laddie:agree: it was actually a social club, iirc it closed as a supporters club because of a stabbing outside(rather patchy memory)

Doesn't seem to be much wrong wi yer memory. There was a fatal stabbing outside the social club which may have hastened its closure. Although well attended by fans on match days it was open to anyone at other times.
The social club was run by the football club and was in opposition to the supporters club which had just moved into new premises in Sunnyside. When I became a member of the supporters club in 1963, the clubrooms were at no 7 Carlton Terrace. I was told by a committee member at the time that they were looking for more space and approached 3 brewers for financial help. S&N turned them down flat. Ushers suggested they would assist in expanding the clubrooms by buying the property next door to no7. Only Tennents were prepared to fund (or at least provide the majority of it) the building of new premises at Sunnyside. In return the Club had to agree to sell only Tennents products for a long period of time (could've been 20 years).

cabbageandribs1875
02-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Doesn't seem to be much wrong wi yer memory. There was a fatal stabbing outside the social club which may have hastened its closure. Although well attended by fans on match days it was open to anyone at other times.
The social club was run by the football club and was in opposition to the supporters club which had just moved into new premises in Sunnyside. When I became a member of the supporters club in 1963, the clubrooms were at no 7 Carlton Terrace. I was told by a committee member at the time that they were looking for more space and approached 3 brewers for financial help. S&N turned them down flat. Ushers suggested they would assist in expanding the clubrooms by buying the property next door to no7. Only Tennents were prepared to fund (or at least provide the majority of it) the building of new premises at Sunnyside. In return the Club had to agree to sell only Tennents products for a long period of time (could've been 20 years).

oh there is trust me :greengrin thanks for filling in the missing info, i also recall a supporters club down in portobello in the early 80's, sure it was a disco called misty's at one time(either before or after it was a supporters club) but iirc it didn't last very long at all :dunno: