PDA

View Full Version : Could the 6-2 team win this league

pedroorange1875
31-12-2013, 02:18 PM
With another derby looming and like a few others on here, i watched some previous derbies. The 6-2 team really did have some amazing quality when we see the dross that has been at Hibs recently. Its hard to believe we had names like Sauzee, Latapy and Zitelli given their standing and known class in the game even at the time. I think that team could seriously push the current Celtic team and win this league, if we had a hibs time machine :greengrin

Hibercelona
31-12-2013, 02:41 PM
I doubt it to be honest.

We certainly had a cracking team, but we'd never have been able to match the consistency that Celtic have.

That team would have beaten the current Celtic team on its day however.

superfurryhibby
31-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I doubt it to be honest.

We certainly had a cracking team, but we'd never have been able to match the consistency that Celtic have.

That team would have beaten the current Celtic team on its day however.

In short, this.

Lack of depth in the squad would put paid to any hope of the title.

ballengeich
31-12-2013, 05:07 PM
In short, this.

Lack of depth in the squad would put paid to any hope of the title.

I think you're right. I reckon it was the lack of depth that cost us the 1973 championship when our first eleven was better than Celtic's. When injuries and suspensions kick in, or the form of a few first-choice players dips, the advantage belonging to teams which can afford to keep top players on the bench begins to tell.

There's one great exception - Dundee United won the league in 82-3 using only 14 or 15 starting players all season. Can you imagine a team getting through a modern season with so little disruption by injury or suspension?