PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the highlights of the two previous derbies for the first time

Diclonius
31-12-2013, 12:37 PM
It got to the point where I was screaming at my monitor. How we didn't comfortably win either of them is beyond me.

The amount of chances we created without scoring at least one goal is absolutely overwhelming, and not all of them can be down to Hibs' usual derby mentality either - some of them are just plain unlucky i.e. MacDonald's wonder save from Robertson followed by the deflected shot somehow missing the goal and flying up on to the bar.

Of course, Hearts get their usual derby one in a million chances - Stevenson's shot involved turning in a split second with Hibs players charging down on him, and within that split second getting enough power, pace and accuracy on the ball to beat Williams at the only conceivable angle that would result in a goal from that position. Stevenson could try that every second every day for the rest of his life and he wouldn't score that goal again.

We should beat them on Thursday. It is a completely travesty we didn't the other two times. We have 6 or 7 chances - no goal. They have one good chance, and they take it. They always do - well, in the League Cup game they only needed a half (quarter?) chance.

Surely it can't happen three times in a row?

Waxy
31-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Didn't you watch these games as they happened?
Dunno why any hibby would watch these, and what do you mean the first time? Gonna watch them again?

Diclonius
31-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Didn't you watch these games as they happened?
Dunno why any hibby would watch these, and what do you mean the first time? Gonna watch them again?

I haven't watched highlights since I actually attended either game. Only watching them now as we have a chance of redemption coming up.

AK86
31-12-2013, 01:14 PM
It got to the point where I was screaming at my monitor. How we didn't comfortably win either of them is beyond me.

The amount of chances we created without scoring at least one goal is absolutely overwhelming, and not all of them can be down to Hibs' usual derby mentality either - some of them are just plain unlucky i.e. MacDonald's wonder save from Robertson followed by the deflected shot somehow missing the goal and flying up on to the bar.

Of course, Hearts get their usual derby one in a million chances - Stevenson's shot involved turning in a split second with Hibs players charging down on him, and within that split second getting enough power, pace and accuracy on the ball to beat Williams at the only conceivable angle that would result in a goal from that position. Stevenson could try that every second every day for the rest of his life and he wouldn't score that goal again.

We should beat them on Thursday. It is a completely travesty we didn't the other two times. We have 6 or 7 chances - no goal. They have one good chance, and they take it. They always do - well, in the League Cup game they only needed a half (quarter?) chance.

ive not watched any of the games again. But I have always thought our domination and chances in the cup game were exaggerated. We came out the traps well and created a few decent chances in the first 15 mins. And every other day robertsons shot would have went in.
but Stevenson had a similar effort 5 mins before he scored. After that I thought we were average at best. I wasn't out my seat much in the 2nd half.Never did I really think we were going to score.

i am confident we will win this time. You will only have to look at the dug out. The amatuer has gone and a proper professional is at the helm of our club. We couldn't press for more than 50 mins last time because the fitness was not there.

California-Hibs
31-12-2013, 01:20 PM
They were lucky in the 1st derby, but were EXTREMLY lucky in the 2nd, this time certainly won't be 3rd time lucky. Hibs will win on Thursday, no doubt about it. This is Butchers not Fenlons, set up they're coming up against this time!

Spike Mandela
31-12-2013, 01:22 PM
God knows what we'd do if Hearts turned up and actually played well.:rolleyes:

The game at Tynecastle, especially, was one of the most inept performances from a Hibs team I have ever seen. The Hearts team was like a school team all running after the ball and still beat us.

Time for us to turn up for 90 mins in a match and give these tramps a doing. Looking forward to seeing the Butcher effect in a derby.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-12-2013, 01:28 PM
The game at Tynecastle, especially, was one of the most inept performances from a Hibs team I have ever seen. The Hearts team was like a school team all running after the ball and still beat us.

Phew, I thought it was just me! I've been hearing for months we were unlucky in that game when in actual fact we were piss poor.

Time to make amends!

Keith_M
31-12-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm never over-confident going into a derby (30+ years of experience) but I feel a bit better about this one. It seems TB is finally making his mark on the team.

The last two games have increased my confidence so much I'm beginning to think we might even get a draw :wink:

Aldo
31-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Phew, I thought it was just me! I've been hearing for months we were unlucky in that game when in actual fact we were piss poor. Time to make amends!

The first 20 or so minutes of the LC game were excellent but we couldn't score. Bubble burst when they did and game was a boggie.

Agree that it's time to make amends Hutchy and I fully expect a high tempo in your face disciplined game from us from the off.

Hibercelona
31-12-2013, 01:47 PM
If we pile too much pressure on the players to score, or get on their backs because they haven't scored in the first 15-20 minutes, then the added pressure will cause them to miss more sitters.

It's not a coincidence that this keeps happening to us everytime we play them.

Aldo
31-12-2013, 01:50 PM
If we pile too much pressure on the players to score, or get on their backs because they haven't scored in the first 15-20 minutes, then the added pressure will cause them to miss more sitters. It's not a coincidence that this keeps happening to us everytime we play them.

You forget we have a secret weapon - Terry Butcher. :-D

Hibercelona
31-12-2013, 01:53 PM
You forget we have a secret weapon - Terry Butcher. :-D

None of our past "secret weapons" have helped us whenever this problem has occured.

Lets just get behind the team and stay behind the team, even if they don't burst the net in the first 30 seconds of the game.

Aldo
31-12-2013, 01:55 PM
None of our past "secret weapons" have helped us whenever this problem has occured. Lets just get behind the team and stay behind the team, even if they don't burst the net in the first 30 seconds of the game.

Agreed mate. Think I was getting at TB hopefully has them well drilled etc

cabbageandribs1875
31-12-2013, 01:57 PM
i was down getting a bovril when the gimps scored in the cup game, still haven't bothered watching what the goal was like

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-12-2013, 01:59 PM
The first 20 or so minutes of the LC game were excellent but we couldn't score. Bubble burst when they did and game was a boggie.

Agree that it's time to make amends Hutchy and I fully expect a high tempo in your face disciplined game from us from the off.

I think Spike and I were referring to the Tynie game, I hear what you're saying tho!

Onion
31-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Agreed, Hearts cannot play as badly as that again :wink:

Aldo
31-12-2013, 02:12 PM
I think Spike and I were referring to the Tynie game, I hear what you're saying tho!

Sorry Hutchy aye we were poor in that game, in fact very poor. Should of mentioned that before posting.

Onion
31-12-2013, 02:17 PM
They were lucky in the 1st derby, but were EXTREMLY lucky in the 2nd, this time certainly won't be 3rd time lucky. Hibs will win on Thursday, no doubt about it. This is Butchers not Fenlons, set up they're coming up against this time!

This game is ALL about the first goal. If we get it, the Yams will be forced to come out and chase the game. A loss or draw at this stage of the season is no good to them. If they do open up, Hibs will have many more scoring opportunities and could go on to bag a few.

Worst case is if they score first and just park the bus. They've shown they can defend as a unit when needed and Hibs find it hard to break teams down. IMHO first 30 mins will determine the whole match.

Makaveli
31-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Like the cup game I think we'll be out to kill the game quickly.

The highlights show the chances we missed that night but they don't show the dozens of times our midfield passed it sideways along the 18-yard line. :grr: The difference in approach now is obvious as shown by Stevenson having five shots at goal vs Killie.

The last few derbies I've gone in with confidence but a core feeling that we might mess it up. Not this time. We have a settled side that looks powerful at set-pieces and is keeping clean sheets most weeks. They won't be able to match us for strength or, for once, desire.

:flag:

Ronniekirk
31-12-2013, 04:48 PM

You must be a Masochist I could never bring myself to re watch Hear7s beating us .Are you going to bring in new year watching the 5. 1 game Away lot and party and keep it going till Thursday night then you can watch the re run of us winning for a change

Ronniekirk
31-12-2013, 04:54 PM
This game is ALL about the first goal. If we get it, the Yams will be forced to come out and chase the game. A loss or draw at this stage of the season is no good to them. If they do open up, Hibs will have many more scoring opportunities and could go on to bag a few.

Worsbottom line is tt case is if they score first and just park the bus. They've shown they can defend as a unit when needed and Hibs find it hard to break teams down. IMHO first 30 mins will determine the whole match.
The bottom line is they are down and they know they are This game is all about pride and their record of having the upper hand .Thats what makes it a difficult game .They would also probably see a draw as a moral victory so pressure is all on us expect Terry has brought in a shrink and liberated them from the shackles imposed by Fenlon . Agree patience needed if they weather the storm at beginning .

AK86
31-12-2013, 05:05 PM
If we pile too much pressure on the players to score, or get on their backs because they haven't scored in the first 15-20 minutes, then the added pressure will cause them to miss more sitters.

It's not a coincidence that this keeps happening to us everytime we play them.
Part of being a pro player is coping with pressure. There are thousands of very skillful guys who didn't make it because they couldn't do the mental side of it. If they can't cope with the pressure of beating this youth team at the 3rd attempt I suggest they aren't cut out to play for Hibs

Anyway, were going to rip them a new one so it's all good. :flag:

Hibercelona
31-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Part of being a pro player is coping with pressure. There are thousands of very skillful guys who didn't make it because they couldn't do the mental side of it. If they can't cope with the pressure of beating this youth team at the 3rd attempt I suggest they aren't cut out to play for Hibs

Anyway, were going to rip them a new one so it's all good. :flag:

There's pressure and there's unnecessery pressure. All i'm saying is, we should avoid adding unnecessery pressure at all costs.

Aldo
31-12-2013, 05:24 PM
There's pressure and there's unnecessery pressure. All i'm saying is, we should avoid adding unnecessery pressure at all costs.

I think every game brings a different type of pressure - crowd/derby etc .

I think a bit of pressure is good but I also think, especially on Thursday nite that a lot of these guys have a point to prove and although they are the same players that have been beaten twice by them I believe they will come out disciplined, playing a high tempo and channelling the nerves (pressure) in the right way.

Butcher will have them well drilled.

Hibrandenburg
31-12-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm never over-confident going into a derby (30+ years of experience) but I feel a bit better about this one. It seems TB is finally making his mark on the team.

The last two games have increased my confidence so much I'm beginning to think we might even get a draw :wink:

Now now, try and keep your feet firmly on the ground!

R'Albin
31-12-2013, 05:33 PM
I think every game brings a different type of pressure - crowd/derby etc .

I think a bit of pressure is good but I also think, especially on Thursday nite that a lot of these guys have a point to prove and although they are the same players that have been beaten twice by them I believe they will come out disciplined, playing a high tempo and channelling the nerves (pressure) in the right way.

Butcher will have them well drilled.

Agreed. Butcher seems to have the pyschological part of management nailed down. There was a Youtube video posted here a few months ago where he mentioned his balloon method (among other things) that he tried with Caley. They had to say their worries aloud, then blow them into their balloon they had been given, then they'd stamp them out. ICT then went out and beat Celtic 3-2 I think it was.

This is the most confident I've been about a derby in years. There's no way Butcher will allow the players' heads to drop the way they did in the last derby.

Aldo
31-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Agreed. Butcher seems to have the pyschological part of management nailed down. There was a Youtube video posted here a few months ago where he mentioned his balloon method (among other things) that he tried with Caley. They had to say their worries aloud, then blow them into their balloon they had been given, then they'd stamp them out. ICT then went out and beat Celtic 3-2 I think it was. This is the most confident I've been about a derby in years. There's no way Butcher will allow the players' heads to drop the way they did in the last derby.

Yip confident for all the right reasons and not cos it's against a bunch of bairns.
The way we have played since Butcher has taken over has been promising and every player knows their job. Work rate is up and there is a belief.

I personally believe that if we play the way we played against Killie, Ross County and the 2nd half against Smellic then we will give them a game.

As long as we score more than them then I'll be happy.

Andy74
31-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Yip confident for all the right reasons and not cos it's against a bunch of bairns.
The way we have played since Butcher has taken over has been promising and every player knows their job. Work rate is up and there is a belief.

I personally believe that if we play the way we played against Killie, Ross County and the 2nd half against Smellic then we will give them a game.

As long as we score more than them then I'll be happy.

What if we play like we did against 10 man St Johnstone? Or against Partick?

I don't think this will be as easy as all that.

Ronniekirk
31-12-2013, 06:59 PM
What if we play like we did against 10 man St Johnstone? Or against Partick?

I don't think this will be as easy as all that.
Alex ferguson said Fail to Prepare and Prepare to Fail. terry will have them prepared of that we are all confident . It's then down to the players to handle the occasion and play to the system and worked corners or whatever plan has been hatched to break this mob down.The game could go a long way in determining who cements a first team place so if they aren't up for it they will know the score I think as long as we don't get some of the hotheads (Cairney springs to mind ) sent off we will be pleasantly surprised by performance and score just wish we had a striker that could score regularly .

Aldo
31-12-2013, 07:16 PM
What if we play like we did against 10 man St Johnstone? Or against Partick? I don't think this will be as easy as all that.

Andy I'm not saying it's going to be easy but I think (or at least I hope anyway) we will be a bit more prepared as a team and each player will know their individual jobs.

I think we can all agree there has been a bit of an improvement in the way we have been playing since TB took over. Yes things will take time but there seems to be a bit more belief by the players.

I am trying to stay/be positive and no game regardless of the opponents should be seen as easy..... Especially against your local rivals.