PDA

View Full Version : Derby Attire

Dashing Bob S
31-12-2013, 01:00 PM
I've decided to go for a nautical theme, nothing too outrageous and swashbuckling like Pirates of the Caribbean, rather just squarely in my tradition of understated class.

I grew a scrubby beard over Christmas, which the wife surprisingly liked and encouraged me to keep. As a result it's the first time I won't be clean shaven for a derby. I look a bit like an old salt, so I found a navy blue turtleneck lambs wool sweater, which I shall wear with a long ago purchased but seldom used Hugo Boss short length dark navy coat, replete with -you guessed it- silver anchor buttons.

Conservative black Armani jeans and a strong pair of brogues (a less flashy shoe than is my wont, but it's New Year and one must consider the elements) will complete the look. I'm tempted to flout the laws of the land and bring in a pewter hip flask containing a decent malt, but I shall make a late call on that one.

Allow me at this stage to wish my Hibernian brethren and cistern a wonderful 2014, and let's flush those unsightly bloodied turds into the sewer of oblivion - where they damn well belong!

AK86
31-12-2013, 01:04 PM
I've decided to go for a nautical theme, nothing too outrageous and swashbuckling like Pirates of the Caribbean, rather just squarely in my tradition of understated class.

I grew a scrubby beard over Christmas, which the wife surprisingly liked and encouraged me to keep. As a result it's the first time I won't be clean shaven for a derby. I look a bit like an old salt, so I found a navy blue turtleneck lambs wool sweater, which I shall wear with a long ago purchased but seldom used Hugo Boss short length dark navy coat, replete with -you guessed it- silver anchor buttons.

Conservative black Armani jeans and a strong pair of brogues (a less flashy shoe than is my wont, but it's New Year and one must consider the elements) will complete the look. I'm tempted to flout the laws of the land and bring in a pewter hip flask containing a decent malt, but I shall make a late call on that one.

Allow me at this stage to wish my Hibernian brethren and cistern a wonderful 2014, and let's flush those unsightly bloodied turds into the sewer of oblivion - where they damn well belong!
Cool story

steviehibsleith
31-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Tommy Hilfiger flip flops blue Ralph Lauren shorts white Calvin Klein polo watching it in the Anchor las Americas

yeezus.
31-12-2013, 01:15 PM

:top markswhat a post! I'll be wearing the new black away top for the first time - accompanied by khaki's and my green gazelle's.

GGTTH!

GreenCastle
31-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Hibs Class :aok:

WestEndHibee
31-12-2013, 01:36 PM

Excellent post :top marks. The yams will stare in awe.

HiBremian
31-12-2013, 01:42 PM

:top marks Been missing this vital info for too long, Bob.

As for the beard, I keep well clear of facial hair, and I'm sure the wife concurs. But I rather like the naval theme. So to break the tedium of the silent Hibs TV Xtra half time break, I'll be snacking on the last of the xmas pudding, complete with a soaking of best naval rum, in your honour.

Juice-Terry
31-12-2013, 01:46 PM
:top markswhat a post! I'll be wearing the new black away top for the first time - accompanied by khaki's and my green gazelle's.

GGTTH!

Green Gazelles! Love it!

yeezus.
31-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Green Gazelles! Love it!

They have a wee bit of yellow on them and I've never seen Hibs win while wearing them... there's a first for everything I guess! :tbgwa:

superfurryhibby
31-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Black Calvin Klien overcoat, very dark Diesel jeans, sturdy Jones shoes or Timberlands if it's pissing down. Nice green v-neck jersey and a white t-shirt and a recently purchased Duffer St George green scarf (bargain from the Debenhams sale).

I'll also be sporting my recently shorn and bleached hairdo (much to the amusement of my mates) and a rather smug grin after the match when we've humped them big time!

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-12-2013, 01:55 PM
If this thread was running in the late eighties, the word casual would spring to mind?

Steven_Hibs
31-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Kappa Trackies mun

mutley
31-12-2013, 02:01 PM
I think I too shall be armoured with a brogue and hip flask, and previously mentioned, my new lucky scarf.

Mon the hibees

jacomo
31-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Excellent post :top marks. The yams will stare in awe.

Given the nautical theme, the Yams may confuse him for an off-duty submarine captain and follow DBS blindly wherever he goes.

Keith_M
31-12-2013, 02:26 PM
If this thread was running in the late eighties, the word casual would spring to mind?

Is it the green gazelles part?

I used to wear one red and one blue, much trendier :wink:

Billychaotic182
31-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Ted Baker leather jacket
White t-shirt with a picture of Rowan Vine on it with the caption "be feard of the beard" that my young nephew got me as a joke for Xmas
A thermal Tammy
Dark brown boots
Pair of TK Max jeans
Hibs scarf

sauzeelegod
31-12-2013, 02:48 PM
bottle green merino wool turtleneck, Pierre cardin black jacket. black levi's and a pair of black Chelsea boots. GGTTH

scuttle
31-12-2013, 03:22 PM

Liking the style Bob
As a nautical man myself im afraid its a similar pullover but with a duffel coat. Footwear will be black half boots similar to steaming bats as wore when aboard ship.

Aldo
31-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Liking the style Bob As a nautical man myself im afraid its a similar pullover but with a duffel coat. Footwear will be black half boots similar to steaming bats as wore when aboard ship.

Ha ha without the steel toe and foot plate I would image. DMS boots IIRC??

SteveHFC
31-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Ted Baker leather jacket
White t-shirt with a picture of Rowan Vine on it with the caption "be feard of the beard" that my young nephew got me as a joke for Xmas
A thermal Tammy
Dark brown boots
Pair of TK Max jeans
Hibs scarf

Pic :greengrin

Fancy wearing my new leather jacket on Thursday for the first time which i got for Christmas :greengrin

scuttle
31-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Ha ha without the steel toe and foot plate I would image. DMS boots IIRC??

Correct Aldo very similar to DMS boots. I take it you are or were a matelot?

Aldo
31-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Correct Aldo very similar to DMS boots. I take it you are or were a matelot?

Was a Submariner mate. Polaris boats.

scuttle
31-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Was a Submariner mate. Polaris boats.

Was a skimmer myself mate, lets hope we sink the Jambos tomorrow

Aldo
31-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Was a skimmer myself mate, lets hope we sink the Jambos tomorrow

Ha ha didn't want to say that but you read am mind. Yip defo mate.

Billychaotic182
31-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Fancy wearing my new leather jacket on Thursday for the first time which i got for Christmas :greengrin

This is it

http://www.freewebstore.org/The-Wright-Design/product/hibs,_hibernian,_rowan_vine,_be_feard_of_the_beard ,_unofficial_t-shirts

Phil D. Rolls
31-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Well, if its an unwanted present, I'm happy to help.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Navy coat and black jeans... Shambles Bob!

A hip flask is a must, however mines will contain a wee Rusty Nail to combat the unearthly chill that descends when the horde visit the Holy Ground.

Aldo
31-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Well, if its an unwanted present, I'm happy to help.

Ha ha just seen this. Schoolboy error from Stevie there! Doh!!!!

Pretty Boy
31-12-2013, 04:44 PM

I've never been sure of black and navy together but if a man of your taste and class is encouraging it then I'll give it a go in future.

SteveHFC
31-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Ha ha just seen this. Schoolboy error from Stevie there! Doh!!!!

:boo hoo::faf:

One Day
31-12-2013, 05:08 PM

You always put a smile on my face when i read your posts

worcesterhibby
31-12-2013, 05:27 PM
To continue the nautical theme and to have a sly dig at "their" obsession with submariners I will be attired in the mode of John Mills in the classic WWII submariner picture "Above us the Waves" (1955). Ralph Thomas was the director and I'm not sure how accurate his portrayal was, but Robin Estridge wrote the screenplay and he himself served in the Navy in the War so I'm sure he would have demanded authenticity. For many scenes Mills dons his epiletted Naval jacket and cap, however at moments of great tension he is also seen wearing nothing but dark woollen trousers, a standard thick, white, woollen turtle neck, three days of facial growth and a stiff upper lip. This is the look I will be replicating. I may add a dash of drama by smearing a small oil stain on my cheek, to suggest some sort of engine room crisis. However I will ensure that my hair is brylcreamed into place in a perfect short back and sides. One wouldn't want to suggest any degree of panic..rather a picture of a man able to take any measure of calamity, disaster and heartache in his stride…in short…A hibs fan.

OsloHibs
31-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Sitting at home in my comfy's with my lucky scarf on!

Aldo
31-12-2013, 06:17 PM
To continue the nautical theme and to have a sly dig at "their" obsession with submariners I will be attired in the mode of John Mills in the classic WWII submariner picture "Above us the Waves" (1955). Ralph Thomas was the director and I'm not sure how accurate his portrayal was, but Robin Estridge wrote the screenplay and he himself served in the Navy in the War so I'm sure he would have demanded authenticity. For many scenes Mills dons his epiletted Naval jacket and cap, however at moments of great tension he is also seen wearing nothing but dark woollen trousers, a standard thick, white, woollen turtle neck, three days of facial growth and a stiff upper lip. This is the look I will be replicating. I may add a dash of drama by smearing a small oil stain on my cheek, to suggest some sort of engine room crisis. However I will ensure that my hair is brylcreamed into place in a perfect short back and sides. One wouldn't want to suggest any degree of panic..rather a picture of a man able to take any measure of calamity, disaster and heartache in his stride…in short…A hibs fan.

One of my all time 'oldie War ' film favs. Used to have white roll neck woolly pully (as they were called. Itchy as but needed when your up in the conning tower in the Atlantic and it's totally Baltic.

Moon unit
31-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Cream Oxford bags, 3 Star jumper( green/ white stars)
and of course a Bowie feather crop!...

Jonnyboy
31-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Bob has set the bar high. Surprised nobody has countered with declaring they'll be wearing the massively fashionable Hibernian Onesie :shocked:

Aldo
31-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Bob has set the bar high. Surprised nobody has countered with declaring they'll be wearing the massively fashionable Hibernian Onesie :shocked:

Sure Silver has that one covered?? :-D

SteveHFC
31-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Sure Silver has that one covered?? :-D

I was gonna buy myself one on Thursday :greengrin

Aldo
31-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I was gonna buy myself one on Thursday :greengrin

You could wear it with your new leather jacket mate... No sorry someone else is wearing that are they not ;-D

SteveHFC
31-12-2013, 08:50 PM
You could wear it with your new leather jacket mate... No sorry someone else is wearing that are they not ;-D

That would be a weird look :greengrin

Aldo
31-12-2013, 08:58 PM
That would be a weird look :greengrin

Whatever floats your boat mate! :-D

Dashing Bob S
31-12-2013, 09:20 PM
I've never been sure of black and navy together but if a man of your taste and class is encouraging it then I'll give it a go in future.

I too would normally be cautious of such a mix but in this instance it works out, largely due to the circumstance of the coat being a much darker shade of navy blue than the jersey, thus producing a barely discernible layered effect.

Stax
01-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Sorry Bob but I will not be taking account of the weather when it comes to my choice of footwear. Although I agree with the practicality of a stout brogue and it's place in a myriad of classic combinations, for some reason this fixture has made me think that style may be what's required over substance. A pair of 1990's patrick cox loafers in Italian cream leather, Flat front Trousers & a grey john smedley merino crew neck sweater underneath a slim fitting mackintosh in indigo blue will be my preferred garb. The mild weather and the the winds of change blowing from the east side of the city makes my bare unsocked ankles feel outa sight. Happy new year Hibernian brothers & sisters :thumbsup:

Stax
01-01-2014, 01:01 AM
Sorry Bob but I will not be taking account of the weather when it comes to my choice of footwear. Although I agree with the practicality of a stout brogue and it's place in a myriad of classic combinations, for some reason this fixture has made me think that style may be what's required over substance. A pair of 1990's patrick cox loafers in Italian cream leather, Flat front Trousers & a grey john smedley merino crew neck sweater underneath a slim fitting mackintosh in indigo blue will be my preferred garb. The mild weather and the the winds of change blowing from the east side of the city makes my bare unsocked ankles feel outa sight. Happy new year Hibernian brothers & sisters :thumbsup:

bubblesmorrison
01-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Cool story

Needs more explosions and stuff

NOLA
01-01-2014, 03:52 AM

Very captain Haddock ;) won't be hard to spot you, happy new year bob!

AK86
01-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Very captain Haddock ;) won't be hard to spot you, happy new year bob!
No it won't be.
he will have half this place dangling oot his erse. :not worth

joe breezy
01-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Nigel Cabourn Crazy Mallory Harris Tweed jacket (predominantly green)
Selvage Big E jeans
Quoddy Grizzly Boots - olive green
Deerskin gloves
Aquascutum scarf - red and blue check

Long live the terrace dandies

hibsbollah
01-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Your sartorial wisdom hasnt been seen nearly enough lately :agree:

jon paul jones
02-01-2014, 12:10 AM
Will leave most of my attire to when I am more sober tomorrow

However, the lucky green shoes (Xmas present) will be on show tomorrow for game 2

Sea shanties sung doon the shore the 'morrow then