PDA

View Full Version : New Years honours

jodjam
31-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Whilst I'm in the camp these should be scrapped one award did jump out at me.

A knighthood for the doc who helped with the royal birth. Now if awards being handed out for looking at royal tooting tannies then James Hewitt and will carling should be rightly peeved at not getting one.

Saorsa
31-12-2013, 08:22 AM
The whole thing is a load of ***** IMO.

Future17
31-12-2013, 10:16 AM
The whole honours system is a ridiculous product of a by-gone age. The idea that the monarchy are somehow superior to the rest of us by rite of birth should have been done away with a long time ago. Sadly, certain people in the UK, undoubtedly fuelled by the majority of the media, lap this nonsense up when it comes to the people considered to "deserve it" while ignoring the rest of the awards and the dubious reasons they are given.

Every year, the honours provide examples of how out of touch "the Royal Family" are with the lives of the people they "reign over" and the award for the doctor this year is a classic example.

I also could only chuckle at Andy Murray's absence from the list. Apparently becoming the first British man to win the Wimbledon Singles title in 77 years, in a fiercely competitive field, in the process adding to his US Open and Olympics success, is not as much of an achievement as England winning the Ashes in 2005, where EVERY member of the team received the MBE! That, of course, includes Paul Collingwood, who only made 1 appearance during the Test series that year!

hibby19
31-12-2013, 10:42 AM
The whole honours system is a ridiculous product of a by-gone age. The idea that the monarchy are somehow superior to the rest of us by rite of birth should have been done away with a long time ago. Sadly, certain people in the UK, undoubtedly fuelled by the majority of the media, lap this nonsense up when it comes to the people considered to "deserve it" while ignoring the rest of the awards and the dubious reasons they are given.

Every year, the honours provide examples of how out of touch "the Royal Family" are with the lives of the people they "reign over" and the award for the doctor this year is a classic example.

I also could only chuckle at Andy Murray's absence from the list. Apparently becoming the first British man to win the Wimbledon Singles title in 77 years, in a fiercely competitive field, in the process adding to his US Open and Olympics success, is not as much of an achievement as England winning the Ashes in 2005, where EVERY member of the team received the MBE! That, of course, includes Paul Collingwood, who only made 1 appearance during the Test series that year!

Andy Murray received an OBE in October so that's not strictly true.

jodjam
31-12-2013, 12:32 PM

And collingwood only scored 11 runs in that test

Hiber-nation
31-12-2013, 03:12 PM
I know 3 folk that got OBEs and 2 have to be a fix. The other's a nice guy who works hard and has done very well but OBE?? Something very fishy going on....