PDA

View Full Version : The most devisive topic on .net? And a debate settled... ;)

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2013, 10:00 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/news/peter-jones-the-power-of-negative-thinking-1-3251201

Nuff said.
God no! What have I just done ;)

Hibercelona
30-12-2013, 10:19 PM
His understanding of "positive thinking" is incorrect. It's not uncommon for people to confuse "positive thinking" with "delusion".

A positive person doesn't pretend that there isn't a problem. (Thats what a deluded yam fud does) A positive person can accept that a negative event is occuring, but they have the ability to see the best out of a negative situation.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-12-2013, 07:57 AM
His understanding of "positive thinking" is incorrect. It's not uncommon for people to confuse "positive thinking" with "delusion".

A positive person doesn't pretend that there isn't a problem. (Thats what a deluded yam fud does) A positive person can accept that a negative event is occuring, but they have the ability to see the best out of a negative situation.

I think he has an interesting perspective and has certain amount to it but wonder about the part cultural perspectives come into play?

matty_f
31-12-2013, 08:22 AM
I like how the article refers to millions of search results endorsing positive thinking, yet the debate is "settled" on the back of one astronaut who is referring to having to be prepared for worst case scenarios as evidence that negative thinking is the way forward.

One Day Soon
31-12-2013, 09:20 AM
I don't want to be accused of negative thinking but it should be 'divisive', not 'devisive'.

Danderhall Hibs
31-12-2013, 09:21 AM
I watched Keane v Vieira again last night and when Keane was asked what drove him to win he said the fear of losing. Maybe something in it?

cocopops1875
31-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I like how the article refers to millions of search results endorsing positive thinking, yet the debate is "settled" on the back of one astronaut who is referring to having to be prepared for worst case scenarios as evidence that negative thinking is the way forward.

Every time i see him on TV i think of Howard Wolowitz on The Big Bang Theory when he comes back from space :greengrin

Eyrie
31-12-2013, 09:43 AM
It makes sense to prepare for the worst rather than blindly hoping for the best. I took the article to mean that, having prepared for what can go wrong, you can then overcome it if it does happen. Think back to the league cup game and the way we went into our shells after the tattooed thug's speculative hoof ended up in the back of our net at a time when we could have been four up.

Hibercelona
31-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I watched Keane v Vieira again last night and when Keane was asked what drove him to win he said the fear of losing. Maybe something in it?

But if it spurred him on to win, doesn't that make it a positive thing? :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
31-12-2013, 12:14 PM

Anyone that exclusively uses google, Wikipedia and "just cos I know right!" for research has a flawed argument - sorry Kids ;)

Keith_M
31-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I thought this was gonna be a debate about Flags

:boo hoo:

Smartie
31-12-2013, 01:57 PM
I thought this was gonna be a debate about Flags

:boo hoo:

And I was hoping to find out whether Peter Jones thinks Lewis Stevenson is pish or brilliant.