PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon and Nelson

Seveno
29-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Another great game today, particularly from Paul. Easily our best central defence pairing for a long time and helped enormously by our best keeper in a long time.

Further evidence that Boyd can only score against wee teams.

LaMotta
29-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Another great game today, particularly from Paul. Easily our best central defence pairing for a long time and helped enormously by our best keeper in a long time.

Further evidence that Boyd can only score against wee teams.

Boyd started off lively but Hanlon and Nelson soon put him in his place and he seemed to go in a wee huff. Pair of them were brilliant today.

Gus Fring
29-12-2013, 06:26 PM
I noticed Nelson giving Boyd a cheeky wee pat on the back 3 or 4 times. Maybe he was getting in his head as well. Either way he didn't feel that much of a threat today.

Brightside
29-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Best partnership in the league.

lord bunberry
29-12-2013, 06:35 PM
I didn't rate nelson before but don't mind admitting i was wrong, he strolled through the game today. He's solid and he's a winner.

hfc rd
29-12-2013, 06:46 PM
I think this is our best CB partnership since Chris Hogg & Rob Jones. Think the pair of them were magnificent. They had Boyd in their back pocket all day.

Northernhibee
29-12-2013, 06:47 PM
We've only conceded two since Butcher took over.

Suddenly we're a good team.

MichelleHibs
29-12-2013, 07:14 PM
no coincidence that were back to winning ways with nelson and hanlon back together. neither are particularly skillful or talented but both have cool heads and read the game well...work well as a partnership too.

:top marks:tbgwa:

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Nothing wrong with having a central partnership where one of the players has a remit of just clear the ball. Nelson does that and seems to be an organiser as well.

DaveF
29-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Pair of them were brilliant. So dominant that killie never got a look in.

superb performance by the back 4.

MurrayfieldHibs
29-12-2013, 07:54 PM
I noticed Nelson giving Boyd a cheeky wee pat on the back 3 or 4 times. Maybe he was getting in his head as well. Either way he didn't feel that much of a threat today.

Nelson did a wonderful sidestep past Boyd in the 2nd half and left him for dead. Very pleasing :greengrin

Brightside
29-12-2013, 08:00 PM
no coincidence that were back to winning ways with nelson and hanlon back together. neither are particularly skillful or talented but both have cool heads and read the game well...work well as a partnership too.

:top marks:tbgwa:

:confused::confused: Hanlon not skilful or talented. Jeez.

kentao
29-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Love when one of them attack the ball in the air the other one drops back 10 yards to provide cover. The back 4 are solid

Ronniekirk
29-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Nelson did a wonderful sidestep past Boyd in the 2nd half and left him for dead. Very pleasing :greengrin
Agree he made Boyd look very ordinary today so think that will quash those rumours

Seveno
29-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Even when Boyd was offside near the end, Hanlon still caught him and got a superb tackle in.

Onceinawhile
29-12-2013, 08:48 PM
They played fantastically today, we never even looked like conceding despite killie having a lot of the ball.

Both players have weaknesses, but they really compliment each other, and it's about the only actual partnership we have in the team.

edwards
29-12-2013, 08:50 PM
The whole defence were outstanding today take a bow thought Forster was outstanding at right back :wink:

Northernhibee
29-12-2013, 08:51 PM
We've kept clean sheets in 71.4% of matches under Butcher.

Even at this early stage brilliant stat for our defence.

Brightside
29-12-2013, 08:56 PM
The whole defence were outstanding today take a bow thought Forster was outstanding at right back :wink:

Yep really like him at RB...no need to push Clancy back now.

AFKA5814_Hibs
29-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Best defencive 2 in years. Both Hanlon and Nelson were superb.

Craig_in_Prague
29-12-2013, 09:25 PM
An ex England centre half, plus MM of course - a quality player in his day, seem to be improving the whole side , but very happy to hear we are defending really well . Its the basis for being successful.

TB clearly likes a settled team as well, so others will need to work hard to get back in

Kaiserclem
29-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Another solid performance from a pair that obviously are taking advantage of butcher's expertise in being a centre half. Long way it continue. No offence to Craig though but the Admiral is a natural leader and should be captain, thus allowing Craig to concentrate on his game.

HFC_NYC
29-12-2013, 09:38 PM
This thread is "pleasing"

The Harp
29-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Think they complement each other pretty well. Getting to appreciate Nelson more each game he plays. The type of no nonsense defender we've lacked for a while. Looks like they are enjoying playing alongside one another.

Saorsa
29-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Excellent again today, was Boyd playing? What pleases me the most is the absolute silence from certain quarters. It's one thing tae continuously have a go at a player but tae fail tae acknowledge continuous outstanding performances by the same player they continuously have a go at says more about the people having a go than it does about the player. Outstanding in the last hame game, MOTM today and a goal, Paul Hanlon, take a bow son. Good partnership there with Nelson, keep it up son and Nelson too :thumbsup::thumbsup: Liking Forster at RB too, well done son :thumbsup::thumbsup: McGivern was better today than he has been fo a while too, there's a player there IMO :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cabbage East
29-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Butcher and Malpas at their peak were two of the best defenders in the world so no surprise they have got the defence sorted right out. Keep it up :agree:

...WentToMowAnSPL
29-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Best defencive 2 in years. Both Hanlon and Nelson were superb.

Though Nelson absolutely strolled it :so much more confident from his first matches he can pass the ball much more intelligently than we first hoped and lump if up the park (but between those pesky white line things)

B.H.F.C
29-12-2013, 10:04 PM
The most telling thing for me is that in the last few games Williams has hardly had any major saves to make. It's not as if we've been scraping clean sheets by chucking bodies in the way etc. it's all been very controlled and we've very rarely been cut open, even at Parkhead.

MichelleHibs
29-12-2013, 10:11 PM
:confused::confused: Hanlon not skilful or talented. Jeez.

Wasn't meaning it as critical! I like Hanlon.... Just meant that he ain't no Franck sauzee lol!!

Brightside
29-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Wasn't meaning it as critical! I like Hanlon.... Just meant that he ain't no Franck sauzee lol!!

Yep - He's Franco Baresi!

Saorsa
29-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Yep - He's Franco Baresi! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

tamig
29-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Nelson has come in for some critcism on here from a few posters for his poor use of the ball. I couldn't care if he doesn't ping 40 yard passes consistently well. The man's a stopper and Hanlon's benefitting enormously having him alongside him. The pair are shaping up to be a great partnership.

wookie70
29-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Both played well today but as a partnership the sum of the parts was even more impressive. I thought the same with Lewis and McGivern who seem to no have worked out how to play together. Nelson's distribution was also pretty decent today and he looked pretty comfortable on the ball. Excellent all round today.

MichelleHibs
29-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Yep - He's Franco Baresi!

Lol!!

matty_f
29-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Hanlon was terrific today and Nelson was very good too. Nelson is very vocal and helps the other defenders along. There's definitely a good Central defense pairing there, hopefully we keep them fit through the rest of the season.

Speedy
29-12-2013, 11:06 PM

I thought Nelson and Hanlon were both great today, not sure I could separate motm between them.

Forster was generally good and I'm glad he's playing but I thought he looked lost in the final 3rd.

(not sure if anything is being implied by your wink)

Heedersnvolleys
29-12-2013, 11:19 PM

I think this has a lot do with how solid our back 4 look lately. Maybe a combination of a few things, Nelson back, Forster at right back rather than our other options and TB & MM having more time with them as we look organised know what we should be doing!
:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Excellent again today, was Boyd playing? What pleases me the most is the absolute silence from certain quarters. It's one thing tae continuously have a go at a player but tae fail tae acknowledge continuous outstanding performances by the same player they continuously have a go at says more about the people having a go than it does about the player. Outstanding in the last hame game, MOTM today and a goal, Paul Hanlon, take a bow son. Good partnership there with Nelson, keep it up son and Nelson too :thumbsup::thumbsup: Liking Forster at RB too, well done son :thumbsup::thumbsup: McGivern was better today than he has been fo a while too, there's a player there IMO :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Would you not prefer Stevenson at right back Dan, i mean we are playing someone out of position there, plus he's young and never played right back before, what the hell is Butcher thinking? :wink:

...WentToMowAnSPL
29-12-2013, 11:26 PM
I think McGIvern and Foster are having to put in a tremendous shift at the moment as much of our forward momentum goes through them and wing backs they aren't (yet)... They seem to have a huge amount of play both offensively and defensively through the 90mins

Hibbyradge
29-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Nelson is captain material, imo.

Remember he's just back from a serious facial injury and has a strapped up shoulder.

Bishop Hibee
29-12-2013, 11:44 PM
I've been critical of them both in the past but the last 2 home games they have been excellent. Long may it continue.

Squealing pig
30-12-2013, 01:33 AM
Glad in a way hanlon is coming onto a game but was hoping butcher would punt him but obv if hes getting the best out of him and there is a player in there im over the moon

Northernhibee
30-12-2013, 02:00 AM
Glad in a way hanlon is coming onto a game but was hoping butcher would punt him but obv if hes getting the best out of him and there is a player in there im over the moon

Since Bamba left he's been our best CB consistently.

Tom Hart RIP
30-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Was speaking to ex Scotland international who had been at a recent under 20s game and couldn't talk highly enough about Michael Nelson. His encouragement and advice for the youngsters and his enthusiasm were superb.
Good to hear

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Credit to Hanlon for his goal I said to my son as they lined up who's gonna score 4 or 5 and Hanlon was man-handled all the way towards his bullet - what a goal! Would a penalty have been given if he'd missed? Doubt it - well done Paul.

truehibernian
30-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Under Butcher's short reign Paul has been close to man of the match in every game in my opinion - Nelson just loves playing and doing things simple, but PH looks to have added a bit of composure to his game. It helps him knowing that the guy next to him would literally put his head on anything I think. Paul is also reading the game much better these last few games, again, probably because he can concentrate fully on his own game.

I've also been mightily impressed with Jordon Forster too - gets exposed a wee bit in an unusual position (and yep, I'm on record for not being a fan of players played out of position), but I love his positivity to get forward and the way he is marauding as he lopes towards the opposition full back - they literally run scared and allow him to run at them (or is it just me that has noticed this ?).

The team in general is doing what we have been crying out for - closing down quickly, getting the ball circulated quicker and playing higher up the pitch. More of the same please Terry, and a winger and creative midfielder in the window please :greengrin

hibseleven
30-12-2013, 07:34 PM
There was an instance in the first half when Nelson roared at Hanlon to leave a hopeful punt he looked likely to head away. Hanlon listened, ducked and the ball rolled through to the goalie. Nice and loud and all the pressure taken out the situation. That'll do me.

Onion
30-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Best central defensive display I've seen from Hibs is ages. And 3 goals in last 2 games from set plays. Butcher's influence and advice having an immediate impact :thumbsup:

hfc rd
30-12-2013, 08:34 PM
That Paterson and junkie tatoo man ain't going to get a sniff with these two on form.